*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #5221 of 5260 Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23266 Post(s)
Liked: 12757
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
you seem like a guy who knows a lot of receivers so do you happen to know a good 4K receiver that is on par with my current AVR-791...meaning great price/performance ratio...I don't need the most expensive highest end receiver...I bought an LG C7 4K OLED back in July and was in no hurry to upgrade the rest of my home theater equipment (I'm still using the Denon AVR-791 and 1080p Blu-ray player)...so all I'm looking for in a receiver is 4K capability, support for all the HDR formats along with Atmos and the latest audio codecs...will HDMI 2.1 receivers be available in 2018 and is it better to wait for those?...if I had to choose a decent one now what would be your recommendation (doesn't have to be Denon)
Each year a new Denon Owner's thread is created, so you would be best served reviewing each of the 2016 (on clearance) and 2017 Denon AVR Owner's threads linked below, especially post 1 which describes the features of each of the various models so you can decide what you want. The current successor to your 791 would be the S930H.

HDMI 2.1 AVRs are not likely to be released until 2019 or 2020 and as you just purchased a 4k TV, you're not likely to be in search of an 8k TV anytime soon, so no real benefit for you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post51748441

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
TitusTroy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5260 Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
For only a very small minority who don't prefer to use Audyssey perhaps.
Maybe if you design your own speakers lol

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #5223 of 5260 Old 03-31-2018, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Denon 1911 AVR composite video issue

I've owned this AVR forever and up until recently, I've never used the compsite ports. Acquiring a couple new composite devices, I wanted to test its upscaling abilities compared to my TV. When I plugged in a compsite device, the screen flickered like crazy and was full of speckles of static. While it is an older AVR, I'm hoping somebody knows what's going on and if their is a way to resolve this. I tested multiple AV cables and even a few HDMI cables with no luck at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_010509_1_1522560495654.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	2383452  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5224 of 5260 Old 03-31-2018, 11:52 PM

Ensure the <i/p Scaler> setting for that source input is set to "Analog". Also try changing the <Resolution> setting from the default "Auto" to either "720p" or "1080p." And lastly, if your source is a game box, note that older game boxes may not pass video properly, rather instead you may need to either connect directly to the TV, or via a composite --> HDMI converter.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Composi...onverter&psc=1
post #5225 of 5260 Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Ensure the <i/p Scaler> setting for that source input is set to "Analog". Also try changing the <Resolution> setting from the default "Auto" to either "720p" or "1080p." And lastly, if your source is a game box, note that older game boxes may not pass video properly, rather instead you may need to either connect directly to the TV, or via a composite --> HDMI converter.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Composi...onverter&psc=1
I'll have to poke through the menus and check. I had it plugged into the front and the reciever set to analogue, but I'll try to pull up the menu and see if it'll solve anything. I just assumed the scaler would understand I was using composite with that setting. Thank you for the info. I'm just hoping my AVR is potentially better with old sources than my TV is in an attempt to improve game consoles as especially, Laserdisc.

Last edited by vaxick; 04-01-2018 at 12:37 AM.
post #5226 of 5260 Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

This is a pretty basic question but...

I have the AVR-891 & I am looking to hook up a subwoofer. I picked up a monoprice 5.1 speaker set:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

It looks like the back of the monoprice subwoofer: https://images.monoprice.com/product...ages/82473.jpg

Has two RCA jacks? The AVR-891 looks like it has a single RCA http://images4.static-bluray.com/pro...30_2_large.jpg

I can still cancel the monorprice order - I was just looking for a cheapie set of speakers for the basement.

How would I connect these the monorprice sub to the denon 891?

Thanks,
Rich
post #5227 of 5260 Old 07-02-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4892 Post(s)
Liked: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
Hi,

This is a pretty basic question but...

I have the AVR-891 & I am looking to hook up a subwoofer. I picked up a monoprice 5.1 speaker set:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

It looks like the back of the monoprice subwoofer: https://images.monoprice.com/product...ages/82473.jpg

Has two RCA jacks? The AVR-891 looks like it has a single RCA http://images4.static-bluray.com/pro...30_2_large.jpg

I can still cancel the monorprice order - I was just looking for a cheapie set of speakers for the basement.

How would I connect these the monorprice sub to the denon 891?

Thanks,
Rich
I have the same Monoprice speaker set connected to my Denon 2311ci and use something like this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...4MF-adType^PLA

Not sure it's necessary as all you may have to do is connect one of the regular RCA cables to the Denon and leave the other alone?

lujan
610 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #5228 of 5260 Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Connect a cable to one of the Denon 891 SW pre-outs and the other end to the L input of the subwoofer.
post #5229 of 5260 Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Connect a cable to one of the Denon 891 SW pre-outs and the other end to the L input of the subwoofer.
I bought a ViewSonic PRO7827HD to use with this receiver. I am having a strange problem. I have 3 TV's in the basement & ran HDMI from each TV to a HDMI splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WPAU38/

It does outputs to 4 TV's at once from a single input.

Ideally I would like to turn on any or all of the TV/projector at the same time and have the same display duplicated on each TV with the audio going through the receiver.

Last night I had one of the TV's turned on with my firetv (planning to watch a movie with the kids). It would display on the two TV's but not the projector. When I plugged the projector into the output of the Denon, it worked.

I was unable to leave all displays on the splitter for duplication. The TV's worked but the projector didnt.

To get it working I had to unplug the projector HDMI (at the projector side) then plug it back in - then the projector would display.

Any ideas where the problem is? I can return the projector for another 3 days. I am not sure if its the receiver or something else.

The HDMI wire seems to work when plugged directly into the receiver but not the HDMI splitter.

Any troubleshooting steps would be great!

Thanks,
Rich
post #5230 of 5260 Old 07-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I bought a ViewSonic PRO7827HD to use with this receiver. I am having a strange problem. I have 3 TV's in the basement & ran HDMI from each TV to a HDMI splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WPAU38/

Ideally I would like to turn on any or all of the TV/projector at the same time and have the same display duplicated on each TV with the audio going through the receiver.

Last night I had one of the TV's turned on with my firetv (planning to watch a movie with the kids). It would display on the two TV's but not the projector. When I plugged the projector into the output of the Denon, it worked.

I was unable to leave all displays on the splitter for duplication. The TV's worked but the projector didnt.

To get it working I had to unplug the projector HDMI (at the projector side) then plug it back in - then the projector would display.

Any ideas where the problem is? I can return the projector for another 3 days. I am not sure if its the receiver or something else.

The HDMI wire seems to work when plugged directly into the receiver but not the HDMI splitter.

Thanks,
Rich
What are the HDMI cable lengths to each of the TVs and PJ? It appears the signal leaving the splitter is not strong enough to reach the PJ. Try adding an HDMI extender to the end of the HDMI cable going in to the PJ.
post #5231 of 5260 Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Thanks,

Rich

Sounds like an EDID management / mixed resolution issue. Do all displays and PJ support the exact same resolutions and refresh rates? You may try setting the Denon to scale everything to a lower resolution that you’re 100% sure is supported by all (720) and see if things start working. Then increase the resolution in steps until one stops working and then back back down to the lowest common denominator.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #5232 of 5260 Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I recently bought a Samsung UE65MU8005 TV and would of course use the smart tv features. The problem is when i use apps directly from the TV such as spotify and netflix I lose the audio at random times for about 1 second (see video)

The receiver is a Denon AVR-2311. The lights that are flashing are PCM, DIG and FL FR. I think the problem is in the receiver / noise because I had just the same problem on the previous TV as well. I have tried to run audio from TV to receiver via both optical and HDMI (ACR) without any difference. Also tried changing the optical input on the receiver, HDMI cable, changing settings on the TV and receiver without it solving the problem. I tried to reset the micropresessor to factory settings, and then it seemed ok, but when I tried again today, it was still the same problem.

Starting to run out of ideas so wondered if somebody have had the same problem or have some tips to share?
post #5233 of 5260 Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

This is nothing new. I have a few devices where this happens and it's not the AVR. For instance, I have a Denon X6400H and I lose audio for a second when watching Netflix via the Nvidia Shield. If I go back 10 seconds or so, the audio is there the 2nd time so I know it's not the source. I suspect it's the application on the Nvidia Shield more than anything else. In your case, it would be the app on the Samsung.

lujan
610 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #5234 of 5260 Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
^^^

This is nothing new. I have a few devices where this happens and it's not the AVR. For instance, I have a Denon X6400H and I lose audio for a second when watching Netflix via the Nvidia Shield. If I go back 10 seconds or so, the audio is there the 2nd time so I know it's not the source. I suspect it's the application on the Nvidia Shield more than anything else. In your case, it would be the app on the Samsung.
Okay, thanks for the reply. Wanted to use the smart-tv functions because of the 4k capability, so really anoying problem. Don't have this problem if I use chromecast directly plugged in the hdmi on the receiver. I have the 1. gen. Chromecast, so my next question is if I buy the chromecast ultra(4K), will the avr-2311 send the picture to the TV without loss in the video quality?
post #5235 of 5260 Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nianen View Post
Okay, thanks for the reply. Wanted to use the smart-tv functions because of the 4k capability, so really anoying problem. Don't have this problem if I use chromecast directly plugged in the hdmi on the receiver. I have the 1. gen. Chromecast, so my next question is if I buy the chromecast ultra(4K), will the avr-2311 send the picture to the TV without loss in the video quality?
4k video will not pass through no, rather you would have to connect it to the TV.
post #5236 of 5260 Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nianen View Post
As JD says, this AVR is not 4k capable so connect to your 4k TV if you get the Chromecast Ultra.

lujan
610 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #5237 of 5260 Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Okay, then I'm back to sending the audio from the TV to the receiver via optical/hdmi. Let's hope you were right about the apps on the TV being the problem. I will buy the chromecast ultra and try it out.
post #5238 of 5260 Old 08-08-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Denon AVR-2311CI protection circuit

I recently received a Denon AVR-2311CI receiver that was supposedly new and unused (still in the box). I know these are about 6-7 years old now, but it would be fine for my basic home theater purpose. I unboxed the unit and plugged it in, but after a few seconds it shut down and the light around the power button blinks red. This is supposed to indicate that the protection circuit has kicked in. I tried a microprocessor reset, but the protection circuit still shuts it down. According to the Denon support person, having no speakers attached should not cause the protection circuit to kick-in. I opened up the case, and if I disconnect the plug that feeds the amplifier board, I can start the unit up and it stays on.

I called some of the factory service centers to see if this is a quick fix, but got the standard reply that I need to ship it in for evaluation (after paying money up-front), and then any repairs would be about $120/hour. Don't really want to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have an old receiver fixed (even if it has never been used). Thought I would check here and see if anyone else has had this problem on their Denon receiver, and if they know what caused the failure. I thought that it just may be a simple component (capacitor, etc.) that failed because it was poor quality.

Jim
post #5239 of 5260 Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmarino View Post
I recently received a Denon AVR-2311CI receiver that was supposedly new and unused (still in the box). I know these are about 6-7 years old now, but it would be fine for my basic home theater purpose. I unboxed the unit and plugged it in, but after a few seconds it shut down and the light around the power button blinks red. This is supposed to indicate that the protection circuit has kicked in. I tried a microprocessor reset, but the protection circuit still shuts it down. According to the Denon support person, having no speakers attached should not cause the protection circuit to kick-in. I opened up the case, and if I disconnect the plug that feeds the amplifier board, I can start the unit up and it stays on.

I called some of the factory service centers to see if this is a quick fix, but got the standard reply that I need to ship it in for evaluation (after paying money up-front), and then any repairs would be about $120/hour. Don't really want to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have an old receiver fixed (even if it has never been used). Thought I would check here and see if anyone else has had this problem on their Denon receiver, and if they know what caused the failure. I thought that it just may be a simple component (capacitor, etc.) that failed because it was poor quality.

Jim
Actually, that model is from 2010 so 8 years old and as you learned (in bold), the issue is a failed amp. You're better served putting the repair money into one of the 2017 models going on clearance now to get the newer features. Review post 1 of the 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread for more info.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
post #5240 of 5260 Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Actually, that model is from 2010 so 8 years old and as you learned (in bold), the issue is a failed amp. You're better served putting the repair money into one of the 2017 models going on clearance now to get the newer features. Review post 1 of the 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread for more info.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
I agree, this is obviously a failed amp in some way, and it likely IS a capacitor issue, in my opinion. After sitting in who knows what conditions unused and unopened for 8 years, this isn't a surprise at all. Sadly, I think you got screwed on whatever deal you made. I don't see it being worth sending off for repair, as between shipping both ways and even a very quick diagnostic and repair, you're still going to be out close to $200, I'd guess. Then you still have an old and outdated receiver with questionable components/caps - unless they replace them all. I still don't think it's worth sending good money after bad.

And this is from a guy who has a 2311CI and is currently using it and loves it. I'm about to upgrade because I want the whole 4k passthrough thing. Other than that, mine does fine for now. It'll likely get moved over to replace the Pioneer in my son's gaming room, along with the 65" also being replaced.

It was a good receiver in its day, but its day has moved on.
post #5241 of 5260 Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. The good news is it didn't cost me anything (seller gave me my money back and didn't want the receiver back). He had assumed it was working when he sold it. I actually asked him if he plugged it in and turned it on (he said he did, but later admitted to not doing so).

I am so disappointed in modern electronics. I have a Pioneer receiver that I bought new over 35 years ago. It still looks new, and runs perfectly. I have seen so many newer electronic items fail while sitting on a shelf due to manufacturers using cheap parts to save a few bucks on the final product. Makes no sense to me.

The 2311CI would be perfectly fine for my needs, so buying newer wasn't really a priority (I just needed HDMI ports as my current A/V receiver doesn't have any so won't support DD+ sound (used by most streaming services). The unit really looks beautiful and is in perfect physical condition. I will maybe tinker with it at some point to see if I can pinpoint the failed component. I did find the Denon service manual online for this model, so it may help me.
post #5242 of 5260 Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 536
HELP!! Have I broken my receiver??

Okay so this is going to sound silly but I cannot for the life of me figure out what went wrong. I have a Denon AVR-1911 receiver that's hooked up to an OLED B6 via Optical cable.

I accidentally sat on my remote (the AVR-1911 standard remote) and now the sound has disappeared!

I tried pressing every button to no avail. It wasn't the mute button btw...

I tried factory resting, but that did not work. What on earth could have happened?
post #5243 of 5260 Old 09-10-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No sound at all from any source?
post #5244 of 5260 Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Okay so this is going to sound silly but I cannot for the life of me figure out what went wrong. I have a Denon AVR-1911 receiver that's hooked up to an OLED B6 via Optical cable.

I accidentally sat on my remote (the AVR-1911 standard remote) and now the sound has disappeared!

I tried pressing every button to no avail. It wasn't the mute button btw...

I tried factory resting, but that did not work. What on earth could have happened?
In order for audio to be heard from the OPT(TV) input, the "TV" source button must be selected. You likely simply selected another source button.
post #5245 of 5260 Old 11-19-2018, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Denon AVR -791 Issue

Hi All,
I’ve had this receiver for awhile with no issues, but today I came home and I’m getting green vertical lines when connecting to my roku. I tried a different HDMI with the same result, direct wired roku to tv and everything is working.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
post #5246 of 5260 Old 11-19-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Try both cables with the ROKU direct to the TV to verify they're both AOK. And not saying it has anything to do with it but the ROKUs all just updated to the new 9.0 firmware. Run a manual update just in case and get app updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat1071 View Post
Hi All,
I’ve had this receiver for awhile with no issues, but today I came home and I’m getting green vertical lines when connecting to my roku. I tried a different HDMI with the same result, direct wired roku to tv and everything is working.
post #5247 of 5260 Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Hi All,
Try every HDMI input on the 791. Green lines is generally an indication of a poor HDMI connection. If the issue only presents with the Roku, it could also be an HDCP issue as well.
post #5248 of 5260 Old 11-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Try every HDMI input on the 791. Green lines is generally an indication of a poor HDMI connection. If the issue only presents with the Roku, it could also be an HDCP issue as well.
Thank you for your replies. My ps4 is working through the receiver, and all HDMI’s work from Roku to TV directly. My Roku has the most recent update, could this effect the processing? I also saw your reply about HDCP, I’m not sure what that is or how to test/remedy.
post #5249 of 5260 Old 11-24-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your replies. My ps4 is working through the receiver, and all HDMI’s work from Roku to TV directly. My Roku has the most recent update, could this effect the processing? I also saw your reply about HDCP, I’m not sure what that is or how to test/remedy.
Try connecting the Roku to every HDMI input on the AVR.
post #5250 of 5260 Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM

I'm now getting an HDCP error when connecting the Roku to my receiver regardless of the HDMI port I put it into. Roku is working with all HDMI cables when direct to TV. Could it be that my AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2? Does anyone know it there's a workaround for this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1911 Receiver , Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver , Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr 891 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page