Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #5101 of 5112 Old 05-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post
I just replaced my (perfectly functional) Pioneer 1120 with the Denon X3400, right in the middle of your budget. You can search slickdeals for the post on who is selling it and how for this price. Only reason I upgraded, is I wanted 4k HDMI switching, so I don't have to use ARC for sound from 4K apps on my TV. ARC is a cluster.

No idea what I'll do with my Pioneer now...
Thanks, Mike! Yes, the X3400 is going on sale at Fry's pretty much every week, lol. They must have a huge backlog of stock to clear. I'm checking slickdeals all the time. I'm just waiting to see what comes down the Yamaha trail in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5112 Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
In the entry to mid level, any of the Yamaha AVANTAGE 7.1 processors will give you 5.1/2. Two subs is RXA870 and above, I think.

For my own system, I am considering the RXA3070 as that has 9CH built in and 2 amps are assignable (to extra overheads) if you drive L and R fronts from pre-outs, as I will. Actually my LCR from be driven from the pre-outs.

I am a bit out of the loop on Onkyo and Denon, sorry.
I'm pretty much sold on Yamaha at this point. Honestly, the RA-X1070 is more receiver than I need so your mention of the RX-A870 is helpful. I'll take a good look at that. Thank you for all your help. Invaluable!
post #5103 of 5112 Old 05-02-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
I'm pretty much sold on Yamaha at this point. Honestly, the RA-X1070 is more receiver than I need so your mention of the RX-A870 is helpful. I'll take a good look at that. Thank you for all your help. Invaluable!
Your welcome

RXA 870 is the first of the pre-out models, but only RXA 3070 has assignable amplifiers.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 5112 Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is anyone else annoyed by the price point you need to hit just to get pre-outs on a new AVR these days?

I was completely taken aback when I recently began hunting a replacement for my trusty old 1120 that originally cost me just $550. I had just assumed that the $800 units I was looking at had pre-outs, so I was extra embarrassed when the blue-shirt at Best Buy told me otherwise. The big dumb look on my face probably made his day! lol
post #5105 of 5112 Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
Is anyone else annoyed by the price point you need to hit just to get pre-outs on a new AVR these days? I was completely taken aback when I recently began hunting a replacement for my trusty old 1120 that originally cost me just $550. I had just assumed that the $800 units I was looking at had pre-outs, so I was extra embarrassed when the blue-shirt at Best Buy told me otherwise. The big dumb look on my face probably made his day! lol
Hey Palehorse, I missed this one back when you posted it. It's been long enough now, have you found your replacement yet, and if so, what did you pick?

Like you, I'll want pre-outs too. And like you, my 1120 has been flawlessly reliable. It still does literally everything I need, with the only exceptions of being able to decode Atmos and X and handle 4K. The 1120 is like my third Pioneer in a row, and given how they've all performed, I think that's probably the direction I'm leaning in when it comes time to retire it.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #5106 of 5112 Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Hey Palehorse, I missed this one back when you posted it. It's been long enough now, have you found your replacement yet, and if so, what did you pick?

Like you, I'll want pre-outs too. And like you, my 1120 has been flawlessly reliable. It still does literally everything I need, with the only exceptions of being able to decode Atmos and X and handle 4K. The 1120 is like my third Pioneer in a row, and given how they've all performed, I think that's probably the direction I'm leaning in when it comes time to retire it.
I ended up grabbing a refurbished Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 when it was on sale for just $850 at A4L. As you can probably imagine, it's an incredible receiver and handling Atmos+4k flawlessly, but it looks like their current price is back up to $1000 (still worth it IMO, but you may want to wait for price drop again).

My trusty old 1120 is still working perfectly for 1080p duties in another setup, though, and I still can't believe they removed pre-outs from all of the newer low/mid range models from every manufacturer -- that just seems like (yet another) dick move on their part.

Good luck in your search!
galneon and mogrub like this.
post #5107 of 5112 Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
I ended up grabbing a refurbished Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 when it was on sale for just $850 at A4L. As you can probably imagine, it's an incredible receiver and handling Atmos+4k flawlessly, but it looks like their current price is back up to $1000 (still worth it IMO, but you may want to wait for price drop again).

My trusty old 1120 is still working perfectly for 1080p duties in another setup, though, and I still can't believe they removed pre-outs from all of the newer low/mid range models from every manufacturer -- that just seems like (yet another) dick move on their part.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the update, that helps. Like you, I am tempted to stay all Pioneer. I haven't made the 4K leap yet, and I haven't been motivated to cut holes in the ceiling to install Atmos, so I can wait a while longer. And you are so right, it is bizarre where manufacturers make cuts in their products as part of their sales strategy. Not just in AV either. Keeps us on our toes though. Cheers!
palehorse likes this.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #5108 of 5112 Old 01-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer VSX-1120-K Bi-amping

I have had this receiver for a while with some Polk Audio speakers all around. They were bookshelf size and not really delivering the sound I wanted for music so I have started replacing them. I started with some Klipsch 8000 Reference Premiere Floorstanding and a Klipsch Reference 300 Watt 12" Sub. I want to bi-amp the 8000's but it appears the 1120-k uses the rear surround. Is there a way for me to bi-amp without losing my 5.1 surround ? The manual only shows using the rear surround and no other option.
post #5109 of 5112 Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Biamping with that receiver will offer no benefits

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5110 of 5112 Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Biamping with that receiver will offer no benefits
Why do you say that, the receiver has the capability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz22g View Post
I have had this receiver for a while with some Polk Audio speakers all around. They were bookshelf size and not really delivering the sound I wanted for music so I have started replacing them. I started with some Klipsch 8000 Reference Premiere Floorstanding and a Klipsch Reference 300 Watt 12" Sub. I want to bi-amp the 8000's but it appears the 1120-k uses the rear surround. Is there a way for me to bi-amp without losing my 5.1 surround ? The manual only shows using the rear surround and no other option.
Check the manual for the bi-amp setup. You use two of the surround channels for the bi-amp. You need to go into the menus and set those channels for bi-amp though. You can still have 5.1 with that configuration.

Give it a listen and see for yourself if it does anything. Most people say they don't notice much if anything though.
post #5111 of 5112 Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
Why do you say that, the receiver has the capability?

Check the manual for the bi-amp setup. You use two of the surround channels for the bi-amp. You need to go into the menus and set those channels for bi-amp though. You can still have 5.1 with that configuration.

Give it a listen and see for yourself if it does anything. Most people say they don't notice much if anything though.
Thanks I figured it out. The manual diagram with the wire routing shown was confusing me. I am not going to have 7.1 surround so Im going to bi-amp the floor speakers and just leave it, regardless if I can tell a difference since I wont be using that channel anyway.
post #5112 of 5112 Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by galneon View Post
How are these holding up for people?

Mine just turned 5 years old. It's on about 16 hours a day and has had a 200mm fan exhausting from the top of it since day 1. I remember reading about a number of early failures which I attributed mostly to heat stress. I hope I'm not just lucky..? I'll continue to use it as long as it lasts.
Well, we're still together nearly four years later. It outlasted the original fan and received a new Phanteks 200 mm at some point. For the last 2 years, the stress on the 1120 has been higher as it has been driving 2x ELAC UF5s and 2x (for a time 4x) UB5s, 4 Ohm speakers which have a sensitivity around 85 dB. The room is 16x24, I never go louder than -10 dB (significantly quieter for music), and have a subwoofer handling duties below 80 Hz. It's still a decent load, though.

I continue to see inadequate stock thermal dissipation (pathetic heatsinks, mainly), as opposed to superficially embarrassing THD, as the primary reason AVR manufacturers are still so cagey about 6 ohm and especially 4 ohm speakers.

Still impressed with this workhorse receiver that has never given me an issue... Though I'm at the point where its death wouldn't be altogether untimely. I have to move to 4k eventually...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page