The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 360 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #10771 of 10861 Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From reading the specs you might be able to support 4k. According to the Denon website the 3311ci supports HDMI 1.4a and sites describing what the specs support suggest 4k is supported, but I'm guessing not for all of the capabilities modern 4k media may require.

Quote:
-4K Resolution Support: The new specification enables HDMI devices to support extremely high HD resolutions, effectively four times the resolution of a 1080p device. Support for 4K allows the HDMI interface to transmit digital content at the same resolution as the state-of-the-art Digital Cinema systems used in many movie theaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10772 of 10861 Old 11-26-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4830
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
From reading the specs you might be able to support 4k. According to the Denon website the 3311ci supports HDMI 1.4a and sites describing what the specs support suggest 4k is supported, but I'm guessing not for all of the capabilities modern 4k media may require.
It's not just the resolution (which the 3311CI does support), it's the copy protection (HDCP 2.2) as well as increased bandwidth for deep color / HDR content at 4k resolutions. The older HDMI 1.4 chipset supports basic 4K resolution at 24Hz but doesn't have the bandwidth to support anything beyond that (both in framerate or in bit depth).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10773 of 10861 Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's not just the resolution (which the 3311CI does support), it's the copy protection (HDCP 2.2) as well as increased bandwidth for deep color / HDR content at 4k resolutions. The older HDMI 1.4 chipset supports basic 4K resolution at 24Hz but doesn't have the bandwidth to support anything beyond that (both in framerate or in bit depth).
Yep. That's why I said that if you need more than just 4k resolution support that you'd be out of luck. I was simply quoting what the docs say. HDMI 1.4a does support 4k, but I doubt it's enough to support today's UHD media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10774 of 10861 Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been having trouble getting BluRay players to play through my 3311. When I switch to that input, it seems to try to adjust, then the screen turns black. Repeat every few seconds ad infinitum. At first I thought it was the device, but I hooked it up directly to the TV, and it works fine. I went and bought another player, and got the same result. I tried a different input, same thing. I have been reduced to running it through an external HDMI switch with digital SP/DIF optical out and just running that to the reciver and HDMI directly to the TV. Any better ideas to get it to work through the receiver?
post #10775 of 10861 Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21892 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post
I have been having trouble getting BluRay players to play through my 3311. When I switch to that input, it seems to try to adjust, then the screen turns black. Repeat every few seconds ad infinitum. At first I thought it was the device, but I hooked it up directly to the TV, and it works fine. I went and bought another player, and got the same result. I tried a different input, same thing. I have been reduced to running it through an external HDMI switch with digital SP/DIF optical out and just running that to the reciver and HDMI directly to the TV. Any better ideas to get it to work through the receiver?
Ensure the "Deep Color Output" setting on the Blu Ray player is set to OFF.
post #10776 of 10861 Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Ensure the "Deep Color Output" setting on the Blu Ray player is set to OFF.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
post #10777 of 10861 Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post
That could be the HDCP handshake failing. Not always due to your own doing though. Regardless of the exact cause, I have had that issue myself at times and my solutions have included: replacing HDMI cables with newer/shorter cables, and switching inputs on various devices to get a handshake that does work and then switch to the device that was been problematic.

I have the 3311CI and have used tons of devices with it including BluRay players. Recently my problem device was a PS4 when trying to play a BluRay and the problem persisted after I removed the BluRay and just tried playing a game. I kept turning things on and off, switching inputs and eventually it just started working again. To me that smells of HDCP issues but I'm not an expert on this so I don't know for sure. It doesn't happen often but when it does happen it seems to be a persistent SOB until I clear the logjam and then I'll be fine for another year or so.

I like the suggestion to turn off deep color and any other type of color/bit depth settings and such to get the most friendly possible connection to see if that will stick. If deep color does blow it, it might be your HDMI cable can't handle the bandwidth. Again, I'm not an expert so I could be butchering how all of this works.

Good luck and let us know what works!

Scott
post #10778 of 10861 Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

So there is no setting for Deep Color Output. The only color options are RGB and YCbCr. Neither seems to make a difference. I changed the resolution from Auto to 1080p (to match my set). Still nothing. I connected a Monster HDMI cable that was still brand new in the package, and still null function. Anything else I can try?
post #10779 of 10861 Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post
Guys, perhaps you can help and / or confirm. I've had a 3311CI for many years and it worked perfectly, pulling music via DLNA from a NAS and streaming via vtuner, usually to Zone 3.

Lately I noticed a 1 to 2 minute silence for internet music every so often. Then streaming to the NAS would stop and I would have to navigate back to the playlist and start again. This could occur once every 2 hours or four times per hour.

Finally it occurred while I was watching the on screen GUI. It was a reboot of the NET/USB board, with the exact console messages that occur when the server is rebooted and it's set to the NET/USB source (Connecting ... / Assigning IP address ... etc). A ping diagnostic showed no connectivity during the 2 minutes for the board to connect.

First, is a microprocessor reset necessary? What else could remedy this problem?

Also, I looked at all the config files saved over the years. All had 130 bytes, with only NUL symbols. After a few hours of tries, I still had a 340 byte file, but it had information in it as well. Given this, can I count on restoring all settings?

Any advice appreciated.

By the way, I bricked 3 3310 CI units during upgrades until Denon took pity and gave me this, so I've very reluctant to reset or upgrade.

Regards,

mjclifford
Here's an update. Questions follow.

About a month ago, I did a network reset and rebuilt the settings on the unit. Sources were renamed and I ran the Audessey again.

Odd things started to occur. Video would be lost for a fraction of a second twice an hour on the Roku source. Normally this is rock solid. Music on a playlist from a NAS would end mid song, yet show no indication on the console that anything was wrong. The Denon continues to drop internet radio and the network connection for about two minutes, then resets. Finally, yesterday there was no sound from the DVR channel. I looked and the Denon had lost all the settings for Audessey, Custom Source names, and Optical sources.

Here are some questions:

1. Is there any way to limit this losing of its mind? There's good power filtering.
2. Would another network reset help?
3. Finally, can somebody provides tips to restore from a saved file. Specifically,
Should the units zones be in standby or powered on?
Should the unit be in a source other than NET/USB?

I feel like a mechanic in Cuba trying to get his antique car to last another year.

Thanks,

mjclifford
post #10780 of 10861 Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post
Here's an update. Questions follow.

About a month ago, I did a network reset and rebuilt the settings on the unit. Sources were renamed and I ran the Audessey again.

Odd things started to occur. Video would be lost for a fraction of a second twice an hour on the Roku source. Normally this is rock solid. Music on a playlist from a NAS would end mid song, yet show no indication on the console that anything was wrong. The Denon continues to drop internet radio and the network connection for about two minutes, then resets. Finally, yesterday there was no sound from the DVR channel. I looked and the Denon had lost all the settings for Audessey, Custom Source names, and Optical sources.

Here are some questions:

1. Is there any way to limit this losing of its mind? There's good power filtering.
2. Would another network reset help?
3. Finally, can somebody provides tips to restore from a saved file. Specifically,
Should the units zones be in standby or powered on?
Should the unit be in a source other than NET/USB?

I feel like a mechanic in Cuba trying to get his antique car to last another year.

Thanks,

mjclifford
1. Yup, replace it with a more current model.
2. Wouldn't hurt.
3. Refer to SAVE/LOAD procedure in your Owner's manual on p. 60 Web Control and also below:

If you are having difficulty SAVE(ing) a file, make sure to stop any network playback by first playing something on the network and then either pressing the Stop Playback (black square) or the ENTER button on the remote for a few seconds. You may also need to set "Network Standby" to OFF (contrary to what the Owner's manual indicates). The config.dat file should be about 348kb; however, it's a good idea to confirm the AVR is actually saving data in the file as the file size will be 348kb whether it's all zeroes or filled with zeroes and some data. If it is all zeroes, it will not LOAD successfully. Use a Windows hex viewer (eg. http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...-10891068.html) or Mac hex viewer (eg. http://hexedit.en.softonic.com/mac) to view the file and confirm whether it is all zeroes or not. If you do get a file with all zeroes or if a file with data won't load properly, then set Network Standby to OFF/Off in Standby, cycle the AVR OFF/ON and then try a SAVE again which should result in a config.dat file with non-zero data. It's also a good idea to SAVE the settings prior to a firmware update even though firmware updates generally don't change the system settings. If you are having difficulty using IE, try using Firefox or Chrome. If still no joy when trying to LOAD the config.dat file, try setting IP Control to "Off in Standby", cycle the AVR to OFF, then ON again and try the LOAD. If yet still no joy, try resetting the microprocessor and then do the LOAD again.
post #10781 of 10861 Old 12-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3311 does not recognise pc via hdmi

My Denon 3311 displayed PC fine through the front hdmi port on a two year old toshiba laptop. I have been upgraded with a current HP Pavilion but the picture does not get through the denon, the sound does though.

Interestingly plugging the HP pc direct into my samsung tv, only the hdmi(arc) connection would show the pic. I have tested that all the cables I have work through this pathway(thinking perhaps the cables need upgrading?). Connecting the Denon monitor output to the hdmi(arc) port on the tv did not fix the issue.

I looked at all the samsung literature I could read and it did not mention that this would be the only port that would display pc or that it needs a handshake from the "arc" feature

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great, thanks.
post #10782 of 10861 Old 12-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacr View Post
My Denon 3311 displayed PC fine through the front hdmi port on a two year old toshiba laptop. I have been upgraded with a current HP Pavilion but the picture does not get through the denon, the sound does though.

Interestingly plugging the HP pc direct into my samsung tv, only the hdmi(arc) connection would show the pic. I have tested that all the cables I have work through this pathway(thinking perhaps the cables need upgrading?). Connecting the Denon monitor output to the hdmi(arc) port on the tv did not fix the issue.

I looked at all the samsung literature I could read and it did not mention that this would be the only port that would display pc or that it needs a handshake from the "arc" feature

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great, thanks.
Is the video resolution on the PC set to 1080p (or other TV standardized resolution)?
post #10783 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Is the video resolution on the PC set to 1080p (or other TV standardized resolution)?
The pc output is set to the same max res as the tv, it does play on one of the tv hdmi inputs.
post #10784 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
The pc output is set to the same max res as the tv, it does play on one of the tv hdmi inputs.
Just because the PC plays to the TV directly does not mean it will pass video through the AVR. What is the PC video resolution passing to the AVR?
post #10785 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Just because the PC plays to the TV directly does not mean it will pass video through the AVR. What is the PC video resolution passing to the AVR?
1920 × 1080 is the max output resolution and what has been selected.
post #10786 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
1920 × 1080 is the max output resolution and what has been selected.
Have you tried the HDMI inputs on the back of the AVR?
post #10787 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Have you tried the HDMI inputs on the back of the AVR?
Yes, I had tried hdmi5 which is in the "game" position, I had other devices in the other inputs, is there any value in trying the others?
post #10788 of 10861 Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, I had tried hdmi5 which is in the "game" position, I had other devices in the other inputs, is there any value in trying the others?
Sure. If it doesn't work in any input, it's more likely a source issue and you'll have to use the work around of direct connecting to the TV.
post #10789 of 10861 Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi again, I'm pretty sure I blew my HDMI board on my 3311ci. I tried a system reset and network reset but nothing works still no video. Audio works fine though. I'm trying to source a replacement board which I know is super hard to come by. Maybe someone has a used 3311ci for parts? I really don't want to buy another AVR if possible.
post #10790 of 10861 Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4830
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
Hi again, I'm pretty sure I blew my HDMI board on my 3311ci. I tried a system reset and network reset but nothing works still no video. Audio works fine though. I'm trying to source a replacement board which I know is super hard to come by. Maybe someone has a used 3311ci for parts? I really don't want to buy another AVR if possible.
Unfortunately, repairing an AVR that old isn't typically worth it vs. simply buying a new model. The board itself is usually a few hundred $$, so you're already well on the way towards affording a comparable replacement model. And the replacement you buy will have newer features (e.g. better networking and 4K support) plus a fresh warranty.

For example, you can get an X3300W for just $499 as a certified refub with 1-yr factory warranty: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

That will modernize your features vs. the 3311CI and step up to Audyssey XT32 calibration from the regular XT in your 3311CI.
centauro74, D0T-C0M and vschaos like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10791 of 10861 Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Unfortunately, repairing an AVR that old isn't typically worth it vs. simply buying a new model. The board itself is usually a few hundred $$, so you're already well on the way towards affording a comparable replacement model. And the replacement you buy will have newer features (e.g. better networking and 4K support) plus a fresh warranty.

For example, you can get an X3300W for just $499 as a certified refub with 1-yr factory warranty: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

That will modernize your features vs. the 3311CI and step up to Audyssey XT32 calibration from the regular XT in your 3311CI.
Many thanks for the reply batpig. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so with the exchange rate, tax, duty and shipping its almost $1000CAN and that's if they'll even ship it to me.
post #10792 of 10861 Old 01-15-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
Many thanks for the reply batpig. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so with the exchange rate, tax, duty and shipping its almost $1000CAN and that's if they'll even ship it to me.
They won't.
post #10793 of 10861 Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AVR 3311-CI switches to sat/cable and then shuts off automatically

Hello experts
I have a AVR-3311CI receiver, purchased it back in 2010. I have following setup

Apple TV 4, Blu-ray >>>> AVR-3311CI >>>> Sony Bravia(KDL-52XBR9)

Apple TV connects to SAT/CABLE HDMI port
Blu - ray connects to Blu-ray HDMI
HDMI control is set to ON for TV, AVR, Apple TV

I am noticing the following

1. Lets say I am in net/usb mode playing music via iPhone app or via iTunes from my PC.
2. The receiver after a random time will switch to sat/cable and shut off. All this while my TV is not ON and my Apple TV is in "sleep mode"
3. I turn on the music again via net/usb mode .. and again the shut off sequence happens.
4. However if leave the TV on and play music via net/usb mode the switchover to sat/cable and automatic shut off does not happen.

The above problem has been driving me nuts as i cannot play music via phone or computer without turning on TV.

Anyone seen something like this ?
post #10794 of 10861 Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguru View Post
Hello experts
I have a AVR-3311CI receiver, purchased it back in 2010. I have following setup

Apple TV 4, Blu-ray >>>> AVR-3311CI >>>> Sony Bravia(KDL-52XBR9)

Apple TV connects to SAT/CABLE HDMI port
Blu - ray connects to Blu-ray HDMI
HDMI control is set to ON for TV, AVR, Apple TV

I am noticing the following

1. Lets say I am in net/usb mode playing music via iPhone app or via iTunes from my PC.
2. The receiver after a random time will switch to sat/cable and shut off. All this while my TV is not ON and my Apple TV is in "sleep mode"
3. I turn on the music again via net/usb mode .. and again the shut off sequence happens.
4. However if leave the TV on and play music via net/usb mode the switchover to sat/cable and automatic shut off does not happen.

The above problem has been driving me nuts as i cannot play music via phone or computer without turning on TV.

Anyone seen something like this ?
Set HDMI Control to OFF and all devices.
post #10795 of 10861 Old 01-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since I activated ARC with a new Sony XBR to get sound from the internal apps back, every now and then after shutting off all devices, my 3311ci will turn on, usually within a few minutes. Just happens once. I assume it is some buggy thing in the implementation. I'm not sure in the current Denons if you just want sound you also have to accept getting on/off commands from the display device.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #10796 of 10861 Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Since I activated ARC with a new Sony XBR to get sound from the internal apps back, every now and then after shutting off all devices, my 3311ci will turn on, usually within a few minutes. Just happens once. I assume it is some buggy thing in the implementation. I'm not sure in the current Denons if you just want sound you also have to accept getting on/off commands from the display device.

scott s.
If by "on/off commands" you are referring to HDMI-CEC, then no, the ARC feature is now separate from HDMI Control on the 2016 and newer models.
post #10797 of 10861 Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Denon 3311 CI not using subs

Sorry for the probably stupid Q, but I have a Denon 3311, and two SVS subs, a active 2531 PCP Plus, and a passive SVS 20-39CS, driven by a Samson S700. I'm getting nothing out of my subs atm, and I can't seem to find the manual, and don't have onscreen menus on my TV, so I'm stuck with the very limited display on the head unit. Can someone confirm for me which inputs the rca jacks for the subs should go, and any suggestions on getting the thing balanced? I inserted the Audyssey mic, and took about 4 or 5 readings, and the sub was implemented, but now even at reference level, they are not getting a signal.

I haven't messed with my system in a while, and am pretty clueless, so any dumbed-down help would be appreciated.

this is the back with the inputs: http://assets.denon.com/assets/image...?RenditionID=3

Thanks
Joel
*sorry, found this sub-forum right after I posted, thanks for moving it. . .

Last edited by jbailey895; 01-27-2018 at 05:01 PM.
post #10798 of 10861 Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post
Sorry for the probably stupid Q, but I have a Denon 3311, and two SVS subs, a active 2531 PCP Plus, and a passive SVS 20-39CS, driven by a Samson S700. I'm getting nothing out of my subs atm, and I can't seem to find the manual, and don't have onscreen menus on my TV, so I'm stuck with the very limited display on the head unit. Can someone confirm for me which inputs the rca jacks for the subs should go, and any suggestions on getting the thing balanced? I inserted the Audyssey mic, and took about 4 or 5 readings, and the sub was implemented, but now even at reference level, they are not getting a signal.

I haven't messed with my system in a while, and am pretty clueless, so any dumbed-down help would be appreciated.

this is the back with the inputs: http://assets.denon.com/assets/image...?RenditionID=3

Thanks
Joel
*sorry, found this sub-forum right after I posted, thanks for moving it. . .
There are two sub pre-outs so you can either connect a sub to each one or use a "Y" splitter cable to one. To test the cable, pull the end from the sub pre-out and rub your finger over it. Hear static from the sub? If yes, the sub cable is working fine. If not, either there is a problem with the cable or the sub itself. Set the gain on each sub to about 10 o'clock and then run Audyssey. Once run, you may want to raise the volume a few db in Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Subwoofer to suit your preference.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	175
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2352126  

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-27-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #10799 of 10861 Old 01-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Thanks, so the high-lighted rca jack is the only proper port for both SW's? I think on inital setup, I only had one sub attached, and it kept reading too loud, so Audyssey balanced it waay down. I tried to set up manually today, and set all speakers to "small", but that didn't increase SW output either. The SVS sub has phase, cross-over, and output settings, will turning the output down increase the mixing in Audyssey, or can I just manually set the levels somehow, to increase bass response? It sounds like my other speaker (Klipsch synergy) are handling too much bass. . . The room has a very large volume 18'x 20' with 20' high cielings (thus the two huge SVS subs); at one point I felt it was pressurized well and sounded good, now its anemic and not sure why. .

I will turn down the sub and run Audyssey again tomorrow, I'd like to get the display output on my TV instead of just on the AVR, not sure why thats not working either, sigh :-0
Cheers,
Joel
post #10800 of 10861 Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I made the mistake of trying to update my Denon AVR 991 today. The unit has started the dreaded update loop. I am kicking myself because it was working just fine before I tied to update. My network connection to the unit is a wired connection.

I have tried Resetting the microprocessor as per the manual by pressing on/off/standby and surround up & down at the same time then waiting a few seconds and release. The unit seems to fully reset but the upgrade process still starts up again stating "Please wait Update retry" then "Ether IMG 06min" then at "05min" it turns off and restarts. This has been going on for 8 hours now.

I have placed the Denon IP address in the routers DMZ zone so there are no firewall issues. The Denon has full Internet access.

Is there any other way to get the unit to stop the upgrading process?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page