Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I recently picked up a used 5508 to replace an 886. I installed it yesterday. The prior owner had the HDMI board replaced already.

The relay clicking is very annoying. It happens whenever I skip, rewind or pause cable. It also will sometimes lose connection for a quick second and then click between different commercials. I set all the audio presets to PLiiX for all formats except mono because mono doesn't offer PLiiX.

Is there anything else I might have missed that may help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 638 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3970 Post(s)
Liked: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I recently picked up a used 5508 to replace an 886. I installed it yesterday. The prior owner had the HDMI board replaced already.

The relay clicking is very annoying. It happens whenever I skip, rewind or pause cable. It also will sometimes lose connection for a quick second and then click between different commercials. I set all the audio presets to PLiiX for all formats except mono because mono doesn't offer PLiiX.

Is there anything else I might have missed that may help?
Easy fix, change your default sound mode on each source to what you want it to be. No more relay switching then.
post #2763 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Easy fix, change your default sound mode on each source to what you want it to be. No more relay switching then.
I already did that for the cable source. I changed them all to PLiiX movie except for mono since mono doesn't have the option for PLiiX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, a couple times it seemed to lose sync for a split second. Maybe I am having a HDMI issue as well? According to the guy I bought it from the HDMI board has already been replaced by Onkyo.
post #2765 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Watch the front panel. What is it changing to as you switch channels?
post #2766 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watch the front panel. What is it changing to as you switch channels?
I will check when I get home. I will also change the HDMI cable going from the cable box to the 5508 just to eliminate that as a possible reason.
post #2767 of 2804 Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't have much time tonight to play around with it but I did check the display on the Onkyo whenever I pause, skip or rewind the cable box. I have Verizon Fios Quantum and am using one of the small boxes in the room the 5508 is in. Whenever I pause, skip or rewind the audio format changes from Dolby 5.1 to unknown. When that happens the relays click.

I didn't have time to change the HDMI cable from the cable box to the 5508 but the signal didn't drop in the few minutes I was testing it. I very much doubt there is cable issue since the exact cables worked perfectly with the 886 I replaced. There is a possibility the HDMI board could be failing again. I will check the serial number and contact Onkyo if I start having HDMI drop outs. I believe when that happens it drops video and audio. As of right now that isn't happening.
post #2768 of 2804 Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 PM

So you set the default modes to prologic movies or Dolby Digital? My understanding and experience with the 5508 was that if you selected a default mode it would play in that mode without a click until it got and input signal that was different than what is selected. Maybe its something with you cable box? Try setting the cable box default mode on the onkyo to stereo or DD or pro-logic and see if one of them insnt clicking. Arr you sure your cable box is properly working. The clicking is a normal sound on the onkyo and it isn't broken. The frequency it is switching is abnormal, and that should be able to be fixed by your default output mode match. Keep playing with it I'd say. I doubt its your HDMI cable.
post #2769 of 2804 Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you set the default modes to prologic movies or Dolby Digital? My understanding and experience with the 5508 was that if you selected a default mode it would play in that mode without a click until it got and input signal that was different than what is selected. Maybe its something with you cable box? Try setting the cable box default mode on the onkyo to stereo or DD or pro-logic and see if one of them insnt clicking. Arr you sure your cable box is properly working. The clicking is a normal sound on the onkyo and it isn't broken. The frequency it is switching is abnormal, and that should be able to be fixed by your default output mode match. Keep playing with it I'd say. I doubt its your HDMI cable.
I set them all to PLiiX except for mono since PLiiX isn't available. I believe the issue is the Quantum box. Whenever I pause, skip or rewind the sound format changes from Dolby 5.1 to unknown. When that happens the relays click. As you can imagine skipping through commercials or rewinding a play while watching a football game and hearing the relays click each time is extremely annoying. This did not happen with the 886. In fact the 886 worked flawlessly. I never had one issue or complaint about it. The 5508 does offer a few more features and the sound quality seems to be better. I noticed a huge difference when feeding the 886 the balanced outputs of an Oppo 95 versus the HDMI output. With the 5508 they sound very similar. I haven't had enough time to compare fully but my immediate reaction was the 5508 sounded far superior to the 886 with a HDMI source.

Now if I can find a way to make it stop clicking with Quantum I will be able to live with it. Otherwise I will be looking for a good deal on a used Marantz 8801.
post #2770 of 2804 Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just spoke with an Onkyo rep and he seems to think the issue I am having is related to the HDMI issue. I don't believe that is correct.

What do you guys think?
post #2771 of 2804 Old 12-14-2015, 02:38 PM

I don't think so.

My hdmi issue on my onkyo manifested itself with video blank outs and video corruption and ultimately internet app network errors (same board as HDMI).
post #2772 of 2804 Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I swapped hdmi cables. No difference of course and I didn't expect one.

I checked the audio settings in the Quantum box and everything appears to be set properly.

I honestly can't imagine all 5508s do this. It clicks every time I switch channels, pause, skip, rewind, etc. Clicks once when it switches to unknown and then clicks again as it switches back to Dolby 5.1. I find it hard to believe anyone would tolerate this. Channel surfing is extremely annoying. To the point I will not be keeping the 5508.

I checked the Onkyo hdmi warranty website and it does qualify. I am thinking about sending it in to have the board replaced. I doubt it is going to correct the issue but haven't the board replaced recently should help it sell faster and for more money on eBay.

Is there anything else I could be missing? I really want to keep the 5508. I like the sound quality improvement over the 886 but this clicking is intolerable for watching cable.
post #2773 of 2804 Old 12-15-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I submitted the application to return the 5508 to Onkyo to have them "repair it". I very much doubt replacing the HDMI board, again, will fix the relay clicking while watching cable. It can't hurt and I still have my 886 I can use until it returns. If the relays still click while watching cable after it is repaired I will be selling it.
post #2774 of 2804 Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
I swapped hdmi cables. No difference of course and I didn't expect one.

I checked the audio settings in the Quantum box and everything appears to be set properly.

I honestly can't imagine all 5508s do this. It clicks every time I switch channels, pause, skip, rewind, etc. Clicks once when it switches to unknown and then clicks again as it switches back to Dolby 5.1. I find it hard to believe anyone would tolerate this. Channel surfing is extremely annoying. To the point I will not be keeping the 5508.

I checked the Onkyo hdmi warranty website and it does qualify. I am thinking about sending it in to have the board replaced. I doubt it is going to correct the issue but haven't the board replaced recently should help it sell faster and for more money on eBay.

Is there anything else I could be missing? I really want to keep the 5508. I like the sound quality improvement over the 886 but this clicking is intolerable for watching cable.
Wasn't this explained earlier as the different modes switching? Did you check the default modes?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #2775 of 2804 Old 12-15-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have posted several times that I already set all listen modes for the cable source to PLiiX Movie except for Mono which PLiiX isn't an option. For some reason whenever a channel is changed or show is paused, skipped or rewound the sound format changes from Dolby 5.1 to unknown. I mean what the Onkyo is receiving for a signal not what it is outputting. I have to hit display on the 5508 to see what I am describing. I hit display on the 5508 while a channel is playing. It will show receiving 5.1 Dolby and outputting 7.1 PLiiX Movie. I then will change channels, pause, skip, etc and the Onkyo will display unknown until it resyncs and changes back to receiving Dolby 5.1. The issue could be the Verizon Quantum box. I don't know. I posted another thread reaching out to other Fios Quantum users to see if they have this same issue with whatever receiver/processor they are using but no one responded. What I do know is my Onkyo 886 didn't do this with the same cable box. If it is possible to post a video here I will try to shoot a short one to better help describe my issue. I feel like I have described it well but maybe that would help.
post #2776 of 2804 Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Sorry, I have been following from iPhone and iPad. What is your cable box set or output? Can you try a different cable box?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #2777 of 2804 Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will connect the main quantum box and see what happens. With quantum there is one large server box and the rest are small media player boxes.
post #2778 of 2804 Old 12-16-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I installed the main box using the front aux hdmi input. It does the exact same thing as the smaller box. No difference at all.

I did notice that it clicks the same when I mute and unmute it. Also, while it is muted the incoming sound format changes when I change channels but there is no clicking. That is probably normal behavior but I figured I would mention it.

Also, when I change from a channel that is outputting Dolby 5.1 to a channel that is outputting Dolby 2.0 it clicks one extra time. It clicks when I change the channel as the sound format changes then double clicks as the sound format changes to Dolby 2.0 and then when the sound comes back on. My guess is the system mutes when the sound format changes to unknown. So it clicks. Then it clicks again once the sound format comes back and it unmutes. Then if the incoming sound format changes from Dolby 5.1 to Dolby 2.0 there is one additional click.

If you guys could tell me if your 5508 clicks when it is muted and then again when it is unmuted that will help diagnose this issue.
post #2779 of 2804 Old 12-16-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It just clicked twice while watching the same channel and not during a commercial. It basically dropped the audio signal for a split second, it clicked when it dropped, clicked again when it resynced and then then audio came back on. This happened in a spilt second.

Maybe the hdmi board is bad and could be causing this insane amount of clicking???
post #2780 of 2804 Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I have posted several times that I already set all listen modes for the cable source to PLiiX Movie except for Mono which PLiiX isn't an option. For some reason whenever a channel is changed or show is paused, skipped or rewound the sound format changes from Dolby 5.1 to unknown. I mean what the Onkyo is receiving for a signal not what it is outputting. I have to hit display on the 5508 to see what I am describing. I hit display on the 5508 while a channel is playing. It will show receiving 5.1 Dolby and outputting 7.1 PLiiX Movie. I then will change channels, pause, skip, etc and the Onkyo will display unknown until it resyncs and changes back to receiving Dolby 5.1. The issue could be the Verizon Quantum box. I don't know. I posted another thread reaching out to other Fios Quantum users to see if they have this same issue with whatever receiver/processor they are using but no one responded. What I do know is my Onkyo 886 didn't do this with the same cable box. If it is possible to post a video here I will try to shoot a short one to better help describe my issue. I feel like I have described it well but maybe that would help.
The HDMI pwb is not failing. That is how it normally operates. When a source changes or the source signal changes the relays do click. The processor is trying to interpret what type of signal it's seeing.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem XL
Front - Mythos ST-L, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra
There can never be enough music
post #2781 of 2804 Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

But why did it drop the audio and click twice for a spilt second while watching a show? It wasn't a commercial it was the show. The signal being feed didn't change. Yet the audio dropped for a second and the relays clicked twice.

Trust me when I say something is wrong with mine. There is no way anyone would tolerate the amount of clicking my unit is doing.

Last edited by beekermartin; 12-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
post #2782 of 2804 Old 12-18-2015, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to add more information on my problem... I was listening to a SACD in stereo outputting directly from an Oppo 95 to my headphone setup. I don't need the 5508 to do so but I turned it on so it could feed my second screen the video via component. Whenever I paused, skipped tracks, fast forward, etc the 5508 didn't click once. It did exactly as I would expect a processor to do. It stayed locked onto the signal regardless of when it was paused, fast forward, skipped track, whatever. It worked flawlessly. I tried it using the hdmi and balanced outputs of the 95. They both worked as they should with no clicking.

Which keeps me thinking the issue is my Verizon quantum box dropping the audio signal whenever the feed is interrupted. That won't explain the random split second drop out when listening to a show that doesn't change to a commercial. That is still a mystery. But it might help diagnose exactly what is going on. I really need someone here who has quantum and the 5508 to comment on this. Are you out there???
post #2783 of 2804 Old 12-20-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I stopped by my friends house and checked to see what his Onkyo 609 does. He also has Verizon Fios but not Quantum. He has a Motorola HD DVR box. When he changes channels, pauses, skips, etc. the 609 does the same as the 5508. The signal changes from Dolby 5.1/2.0 to unknown and then switches back. The only difference is his 609 doesn't click every time like my 5508 does.

Can someone else here please tell me what their 5508 does when watching cable or satellite???
post #2784 of 2804 Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I stopped by my friends house and checked to see what his Onkyo 609 does. He also has Verizon Fios but not Quantum. He has a Motorola HD DVR box. When he changes channels, pauses, skips, etc. the 609 does the same as the 5508. The signal changes from Dolby 5.1/2.0 to unknown and then switches back. The only difference is his 609 doesn't click every time like my 5508 does.

Can someone else here please tell me what their 5508 does when watching cable or satellite???
I experience the same dropouts watching cable when commercials come on and when they change between commercials. Anything connected via HDMI, you'll experience dropouts until it determines which source is stable and being used. If you were listening to SACD via the analog (RCA) or Optical input you will not get any dropouts no matter whats. It only happens with HDMI connections. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. I can be listening to music and if I turn on my Projector (connected via HDMI) audio will cutoff about 5-8 sec's. Yes it is a pain in the ass but I have gotten used to it. My 5508 is next generation after the HDMI problems were identified and fixed. I had one of the 1st so I am very familiar with all the HDMI issues. I was fortunate to have a great dealer that took the first one back and had a new next generation one sent to me. I about to retire it though. I ordered the Marantz AV8802A which will be here in about 3 days.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #2785 of 2804 Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I experience the same dropouts watching cable when commercials come on and when they change between commercials. Anything connected via HDMI, you'll experience dropouts until it determines which source is stable and being used. If you were listening to SACD via the analog (RCA) or Optical input you will not get any dropouts no matter whats. It only happens with HDMI connections. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. I can be listening to music and if I turn on my Projector (connected via HDMI) audio will cutoff about 5-8 sec's. Yes it is a pain in the ass but I have gotten used to it. My 5508 is next generation after the HDMI problems were identified and fixed. I had one of the 1st so I am very familiar with all the HDMI issues. I was fortunate to have a great dealer that took the first one back and had a new next generation one sent to me. I about to retire it though. I ordered the Marantz AV8802A which will be here in about 3 days.
I had no issues playing SACDs via HDMI or analog. My only issues are with cable. I also have a projector. When I turn it on the audio does cut out for a few seconds. That also happened with the 886. That is normal because of the HDMI handshake that has to happen. I am not concerned about that. Maybe I could use the optical out of the cable box for audio instead of HDMI? I will try that tonight to see if that eliminates the clicking. I am not sure if I can use optical/coaxial with a HDMI source but I will find out.

What do you mean "1st generation" of the 5508? I wasn't aware there was a revision made to it. If that is the case maybe when Onkyo receives mine they will update it???

Good luck with the 8802! I am very jealous. If the 5508 is still clicking like this when I receive it back from Onkyo I will be getting a used 8801. They have been selling for @1000 on Ebay/Audiogon. I would prefer to have the 8802 of course but I am not spending over $3000 on a processor. I will wait a few years and get a 8802 when the 8803 is released!

Last edited by beekermartin; 12-22-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #2786 of 2804 Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't have time last night to try the optical output of the cable box. I will attempt to do it tonight. After that it is getting boxed up and shipped to Onkyo.
post #2787 of 2804 Old 12-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had no issues playing SACDs via HDMI or analog. My only issues are with cable. I also have a projector. When I turn it on the audio does cut out for a few seconds. That also happened with the 886. That is normal because of the HDMI handshake that has to happen. I am not concerned about that. Maybe I could use the optical out of the cable box for audio instead of HDMI? I will try that tonight to see if that eliminates the clicking. I am not sure if I can use optical/coaxial with a HDMI source but I will find out.

What do you mean "1st generation" of the 5508? I wasn't aware there was a revision made to it. If that is the case maybe when Onkyo receives mine they will update it???

Good luck with the 8802! I am very jealous. If the 5508 is still clicking like this when I receive it back from Onkyo I will be getting a used 8801. They have been selling for @1000 on Ebay/Audiogon. I would prefer to have the 8802 of course but I am not spending over $3000 on a processor. I will wait a few years and get a 8802 when the 8803 is released!
When I said 1st generation I was referring to the next batch that were assembled after HDMI pwb issues were resolved. I still love my 5508 but wanted to upgrade while I'm still above ground. From all I have been told and read wait and get the 8802A instead of the 8801. My trusted source said there's a day and night difference between the 8801 and 8802. The 8802A just adds the latest surround processing.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #2788 of 2804 Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
When I said 1st generation I was referring to the next batch that were assembled after HDMI pwb issues were resolved. I still love my 5508 but wanted to upgrade while I'm still above ground. From all I have been told and read wait and get the 8802A instead of the 8801. My trusted source said there's a day and night difference between the 8801 and 8802. The 8802A just adds the latest surround processing.
So maybe there is a chance when I receive it back with a new HDMI board installed it will be fixed!?
post #2789 of 2804 Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So maybe there is a chance when I receive it back with a new HDMI board installed it will be fixed!?
Hopwfully, but the things you described I think are how it normally operates. The issues the HDMI board usually caused were sources switching for no reason and none of the control or buttons on the front panel would respond. It wouldn't even respond to the remote. There were other issues as well. Can't remember them all. Good luck and hope all ends well.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #2790 of 2804 Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The ribbon cable issue is what caused the sources changing on their own not the HDMI board.

I do agree that it is unlikely replacing the HDMI board will correct the clicking. I am hoping it will but understand it probably won't.

I would love to own the 8802a but it is out of reach for me at this moment. The 8801 may not be the newest and greatest but it was rated as one of the best processors only a few years ago. I am happy being a few years behind the cutting edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page