The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #2401 of 2720 Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had a similar thought in the past... After almost a year's use 1 of the blue LEDs (9 o'clock position) burnt out and I had the burnt LED replaced under warranty... The new LED had exactly the same brightness intensity as before.
The technician told me that all the LEDs on these amp are dim by default, that's the way they glow. The photo on the marketing material has been altered by the photoshop graphic artist to appear much brighter than it is. So there is nothing wrong with our 7500 blue LEDs brightness...
The LEDs can be turned on/off by long pressing the display button behind the folding door. Perhaps it would have been better to have various levels of brightness to choose from but I can imagine the LEDs being too bright ( as blue wavelength is the brightest for LED) it could be too distracting ... Which is why the designers of the 7500 probably decided to keep it dim rather than bright...
erhurd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2720 Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragd View Post
I had a similar thought in the past... After almost a year's use 1 of the blue LEDs (9 o'clock position) burnt out and I had the burnt LED replaced under warranty... The new LED had exactly the same brightness intensity as before.
The technician told me that all the LEDs on these amp are dim by default, that's the way they glow. The photo on the marketing material has been altered by the photoshop graphic artist to appear much brighter than it is. So there is nothing wrong with our 7500 blue LEDs brightness...
The LEDs can be turned on/off by long pressing the display button behind the folding door. Perhaps it would have been better to have various levels of brightness to choose from but I can imagine the LEDs being too bright ( as blue wavelength is the brightest for LED) it could be too distracting ... Which is why the designers of the 7500 probably decided to keep it dim rather than bright...
Thanks for your input, smaragd. I'm relieved to know that my LED is functioning normally.

My Panamax M5400-PM power line conditioner's display indicator dimmer can also be turned off, but has the added functionality to be cycled between four different brightness levels. I chose the dimmest setting to match the luminance of my SR7005's LED output.

Too bad Marantz determined that their customers didn't need the flexibility to determine what is personally distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	erh_HT_07.jpg
Views:	2045
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	123786  

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #2403 of 2720 Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragd View Post
Glad to hear that it's normal. Was about to take it apart and replace the Bulb.
Regards
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 2720 Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killie77 View Post
Glad to hear that it's normal. Was about to take it apart and replace the Bulb.
Regards
Ian
Bought the SR7005 second hand. Almost bought the Processor av7005 but that was withdrawn from sale.
So my impressions so far are that i'm glad i went ahead and bought this . It's probably 3 years old but looks like new. haven't set up the equalisation yet will get round to it . The receiver did not come with Airplay Upgrade, did try and register but the website keeps telling me the ID Registration is invalid ?
Not to much of a problem as I have it streaming through the ATV mostly radio stations with occasional Music streaming. One thing i've noticed is that the Internet Radio only shows South Africa as the country to choose from i can search for other stations using keywords with no problem.
I'm in SA so i wonder if they're is a way to reset the internet radio function.?
So far that's all i have to report really enjoying the sound of this unit, might look around for a marantz power amp for the fronts other than that, more than happy
Regards
Ian
post #2405 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Warm/Hot on standby...

Hello everyone, this morning I walked near my TV stand and noticed some heat being put out by my SR7005.

It was off (standby) and neither of my devices (BD, Wii U, cable box, etc.) was turned on. There's no return channel on my TV and I have the AVR HDMI pass through set up to "last," as in last device used.

The heat was noticeable, as if I had been using the AVR with the volume turned up considerably. It wasn't unbearable to touch but if you left your hand on there long enough it'd be uncomfortable.

It's also NOT connected to the internet.

Don't know if this is the first time but I've never noticed this before.

I unplugged it from the back for the time being.

Lmk of any troubleshooting you can think of and thanks ahead of time.
post #2406 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAppeal View Post
Hello everyone, this morning I walked near my TV stand and noticed some heat being put out by my SR7005.

It was off (standby) and neither of my devices (BD, Wii U, cable box, etc.) was turned on. There's no return channel on my TV and I have the AVR HDMI pass through set up to "last," as in last device used.

The heat was noticeable, as if I had been using the AVR with the volume turned up considerably. It wasn't unbearable to touch but if you left your hand on there long enough it'd be uncomfortable.

I can offer this: I have a McIntosh Integrated amp that I keep in standby mode, and it too stays warm. I wouldn't call it hot by any means though. Hope this helps somewhat.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #2407 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAppeal View Post

Check to confirm that either Zone 2 or Zone 3 isn't powered ON.
post #2408 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I can offer this: I have a McIntosh Integrated amp that I keep in standby mode, and it too stays warm. I wouldn't call it hot by any means though. Hope this helps somewhat.
Thanks for the heads up but it's not 'stand-by' warm, it's as if it's been 'used for hours at a loud volume' hot. Definitely not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Check to confirm that either Zone 2 or Zone 3 isn't powered ON.
If I don't use neither zone 2 or 3, do I have to turn them off? I don't know how to do that i.e. Is there a special menu option? I just got home, plugged it back in and pressed the zone 2 and 3 buttons on the remote and it didn't do anything.

Thanks for the advice.
post #2409 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked: 3848
There is a visual indicator on the front panel when the zones are on, at least on my AV7005, the prepro version of this receiver.

In addition to zones and HDMI passthrough settings, I believe the "video conversion ON" setting generates a bit of heat because it means the Anchor Bay (?) chip is powered up.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #2410 of 2720 Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
There is a visual indicator on the front panel when the zones are on, at least on my AV7005, the prepro version of this receiver.

In addition to zones and HDMI passthrough settings, I believe the "video conversion ON" setting generates a bit of heat because it means the Anchor Bay (?) chip is powered up.
Thank you sir.

I usually keep the front panel lid closed so it didn't even occur to me to check that out... So yes, as usual JDSmoothie was right on the money, both zones 2 and 3 were on, as per the display. Turned them off, case closed.

One of my boys must've turned them on by accident.

Thanks a lot guys.
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #2411 of 2720 Old 08-02-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Unhappy

Oh dear... I bought a refurbished SR7005 from Accessories4Less back in October 2012. About 10 minutes into setting it up, the sound cut out and never came back on (video continued to pass through the HDMI with no problem). Went through the standard RMA process through Marantz directly, and had a working unit shipped back to me within a few weeks.

I had 19 months of wonderful service from that unit, but now the same problem seems to have occurred again. Tonight, the sound abruptly cut out while playing an Xbox 360 game, and it hasn't returned since. Earlier in the day I was losing sound on PS3 intermittently - I thought I had traced the issue to a faulty HDMI cable, but I see now that receiver failure is the culprit. Now I'm right back where I was at minute 11 of my first receiver - video appears to pass through the unit fine, but I get no sound whatsoever. The same devices deliver sound to the TV just fine if I hook them up to the TV inputs directly.

Anyone have similar problems with the SR7005? Any way of coaxing this thing back to life? Or am I at the mercy of Marantz's out-of-warranty service? This is really upsetting. I splurged on what I thought was a high-quality receiver and didn't even get two years out of it! I wanted my children to grow up listening to this thing.
post #2412 of 2720 Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 PM

I would plug another device, say your cable/sat box, into the port you use for the PS3 and see if the problem is gone for that device through that port. If the problem no longer exists it means that port, the jack, is OK and when the HDMI is making a nice and friendly handshake things are OK.

If it has exactly the same problem with the new device too, then indeed there is an issue, but maybe just that port is bad and you could start using another one instead of going through an expensive repair?

Trying full resets on everything can sometimes cure stuff. Worth a try. Is your firmware upto date? Try that too.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-02-2014 at 11:50 PM.
post #2413 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Well I have a number of devices plugged into different ports. Xbox uses an optical audio port, I get no sound there. PS3 as mentioned gives me video but no sound via HDMI. Apple TV in a different HDMI port gives me video but no sound. Wii U over HDMI, video but no sound. RCA cables in the front panel (Super Nintendo!) are the same story - video, but no sound. So whatever the issue is, it definitely isn't tied to a specific port.

How would I go about checking the firmware? And even so - if firmware was an issue, why would everything work find for 19 months and then just stop? In any case, thanks for the response.
post #2414 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Any chance you are accidentally on speakers B instead of A ?

post #2415 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestion... just tried switching between A, B, and A+B, with no change in behavior
post #2416 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 AM

Does the FM radio make sound? If it does that tells you the amp section itself still amplifies, you just have some sort of input problem. Do the analog inputs work? [They often are designed to not function if they sense an HDMI is present so you need to unplug the HDMI and optical cords to test that.

I'm going to bed so goodnight.
[Be sure to put the speakers back to what I assume you have wired it for, usually that's "A" but you'd have to check the back to be sure.]

post #2417 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsaraco View Post
Oh dear... I bought a refurbished SR7005 from Accessories4Less back in October 2012. About 10 minutes into setting it up, the sound cut out and never came back on (video continued to pass through the HDMI with no problem). Went through the standard RMA process through Marantz directly, and had a working unit shipped back to me within a few weeks.

I had 19 months of wonderful service from that unit, but now the same problem seems to have occurred again. Tonight, the sound abruptly cut out while playing an Xbox 360 game, and it hasn't returned since. Earlier in the day I was losing sound on PS3 intermittently - I thought I had traced the issue to a faulty HDMI cable, but I see now that receiver failure is the culprit. Now I'm right back where I was at minute 11 of my first receiver - video appears to pass through the unit fine, but I get no sound whatsoever. The same devices deliver sound to the TV just fine if I hook them up to the TV inputs directly.

Anyone have similar problems with the SR7005? Any way of coaxing this thing back to life? Or am I at the mercy of Marantz's out-of-warranty service? This is really upsetting. I splurged on what I thought was a high-quality receiver and didn't even get two years out of it! I wanted my children to grow up listening to this thing.
I feel for ya. One question: did you get the original back or did they ship you a different one (checking serial numbers???)?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #2418 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Does the FM radio make sound? If it does that tells you the amp section itself still amplifies, you just have some sort of input problem. Do the analog inputs work? [They often are designed to not function if they sense an HDMI is present so you need to unplug the HDMI and optical cords to test that.

I'm going to bed so goodnight.
[Be sure to put the speakers back to what I assume you have wired it for, usually that's "A" but you'd have to check the back to be sure.]
Well your suggestion to check the FM radio has proven interesting. Last night I checked the HD Radio input and got no sound at all. Okay, same old story, it was consistent with everything else.

This morning, I powered on the receiver and checked the Apple TV (HDMI) again. I had sound for a brief moment, literally two seconds, then silence. I then switched to the HD Radio input and actually got sound. I double-checked all the other HDMI inputs and they remained silent. At some point, however, the HD Radio input went back to being silent.

I powered the receiver off and on again. No sound anywhere. Tried again a few minutes later, got the radio back, but with no information displaying on the TV screen.

Did another test, seemed to have the HD Radio going with full functionality. I then tested out the Wii U (HDMI) and got a really loud static noise, at which point all sound was cut off again (radio as well). Also of note, after that loud noise, the Marantz menus no longer appeared on the TV (menu selection was still visible on the front panel, and HDMI video was still seen on TV as normal).

After that loud noise, I powered the receiver off and on again. As I speak, the HD Radio is working again, with Marantz menus showing up on the TV.

Based on what you were saying, it seems like my amp section is doing SOMETHING. But even the radio is behaving very inconsistently. And I had those brief moments of sound in my HDMI inputs today (actual sound on Apple TV, static burst on Wii U).

Interested to hear opinions on this. And thanks again to you, m. zillch, for hearing me out and responding late at night!

Quote:
I feel for ya. One question: did you get the original back or did they ship you a different one (checking serial numbers???)?
Just double-checked the serial to be sure and yes, they shipped a different unit to replace my original.

Last edited by Gsaraco; 08-03-2014 at 09:01 AM.
post #2419 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Well I have a number of devices plugged into different ports. Xbox uses an optical audio port, I get no sound there. PS3 as mentioned gives me video but no sound via HDMI. Apple TV in a different HDMI port gives me video but no sound. Wii U over HDMI, video but no sound. RCA cables in the front panel (Super Nintendo!) are the same story - video, but no sound. So whatever the issue is, it definitely isn't tied to a specific port.
Hi Gsaraco, this may sound weird but try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack and setup mic jack.
post #2420 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Crud building up in those jacks can indeed mute outputs in some scenarios, but you'll usually hear a prominent muting relay "click" right when the sound dies, the same one you hear nevery time you power up the unit from OFF, and he made no mention of that. Also building up that amount of dust in only about a year or two of ownership would be a pretty dusty room. Can't hurt though, so if you have a can of air, go for it.

If you own headphones by the way, plug them in and see if they provide sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.zillch
Trying full resets on everything can sometimes cure stuff. Worth a try. Is your firmware upto date? Try that too.

If a full reset doesn't cure it, I'm afraid you have a serious problem that needs a technician. Sorry.

I can't speak to Marantz, but I know my Yamaha B-stock [factory refurb] receiver still comes with a 2 year warranty, when purchased through an authorized dealer. Are you sure your Marantz isn't still under warranty?

post #2421 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Gsaraco, this may sound weird but try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack and setup mic jack.
Quote:
Crud building up in those jacks can indeed mute outputs in some scenarios, but you'll usually hear a prominent muting relay "click" right when the sound dies, the same one you hear nevery time you power up the unit from OFF, and he made no mention of that. Also building up that amount of dust in only about a year or two of ownership would be a pretty dusty room. Can't hurt though, so if you have a can of air, go for it.

If a full reset doesn't cure it, I'm afraid you have a serious problem that needs a technician. Sorry.

I can't speak to Marantz, but I know my Yamaha B-stock [factory refurb] receiver still comes with a 2 year warranty, when purchased through an authorized dealer. Are you sure your Marantz isn't still under warranty?
Hmm. My living room is in a basement and it actually gets VERY dusty down there. The vents on the top and sides of the receiver are pretty clear, but when I nudged it over to check the back last night, there was definitely a noticeable amount of dust. And I didn't mention it, but this morning I actually sprayed a little bit of canned air before my first attempt at powering on (and that's when I had sound for a brief moment).

m. zillch, now that you mention it, I think there is a clicking noise. It didn't stand out to me at first, because I usually power all my stuff down at once with a Harmony remote (no strong mental association built with that ONE clicking noise, you know?)

I'll try plugging in headphones also, before pursuing the full reset idea. I'm away from my place right now but I'll look into these things as soon as I can (starting with a generous spraying of canned air). Thanks so much guys! Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...
post #2422 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm. My living room is in a basement and it actually gets VERY dusty down there. The vents on the top and sides of the receiver are pretty clear, but when I nudged it over to check the back last night, there was definitely a noticeable amount of dust. And I didn't mention it, but this morning I actually sprayed a little bit of canned air before my first attempt at powering on (and that's when I had sound for a brief moment).

m. zillch, now that you mention it, I think there is a clicking noise. It didn't stand out to me at first, because I usually power all my stuff down at once with a Harmony remote (no strong mental association built with that ONE clicking noise, you know?)

I'll try plugging in headphones also, before pursuing the full reset idea. I'm away from my place right now but I'll look into these things as soon as I can (starting with a generous spraying of canned air). Thanks so much guys! Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...
I would go back to square one: Turn off the receiver, disconnect ALL your incoming sources from the receiver and try the HD radio first. I suspect it will work fine. Turn off the receiver and connect your TV, turn the receiver back on and try the radio. And so forth, each time, turning off the receiver. I suspect you will find that one of your sources (or cable) is the culprit.

Honestly, if you don't discover the problem (going very systematically thru as described), and you won't like this, throw it away and buy a new one. Seriously, life is too short and the new ones are about to come out.

Keep us posted, Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #2423 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would go back to square one: Turn off the receiver, disconnect ALL your incoming sources from the receiver and try the HD radio first. I suspect it will work fine. Turn off the receiver and connect your TV, turn the receiver back on and try the radio. And so forth, each time, turning off the receiver. I suspect you will find that one of your sources (or cable) is the culprit.

Honestly, if you don't discover the problem (going very systematically thru as described), and you won't like this, throw it away and buy a new one. Seriously, life is too short and the new ones are about to come out.

Keep us posted, Scott
Also, all of your speakers are connected correctly, right?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #2424 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My Pandora stopped working a month ago and I'm curious of anyone here can help figure out the problem. FTR - I have contacted Marantz and they are currently researching the problem but I figured I would bring it up here.

Pandora opens fine but after selecting a station, there is a red and yellow circle that will flash off and on a few times and then it will kick me back to the page where my stations are listed. I have signed out of Pandora and then back in again, but no luck.

During my first phone call to Marantz, they asked me to do a few things and then determined that my internet router firewall was not allowing a connection to the AVR. Afterwards, I had the cable company come out to check this and alas....no problem with the router and no firewall. The cat 5 cable that connects to the AVR is fine too, I plugged it into my laptop and I was able to access the internet.

After my second phone call to Marantz, we tried a few things and in summary, they said I had no internet connection. For the hell of it, I moved my AVR to a different room and plugged it into a different cat 5 and it had the same issues.

Long story short, I can't access internet radio, Pandora, and I can't do a firmware update (no connection). However, this is what makes no sense to me - I can create a new station on Pandora (via laptop) and when I fire up Pandora on the AVR, it shows the new station (????). If I truly don't have an internet connection, how come it sees the new Pandora station?

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.
post #2425 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Keep us posted, Scott
Quote:
Also, all of your speakers are connected correctly, right?
I'll give that systematic approach a shot! Thanks. And I can vouch 99% for the speakers being connected correctly. Proper 5.1 surround sound, set up with the aid of some test videos. I initially had my "surround" and "back" speakers mixed up, but fixed it right away after some testing.
post #2426 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
My Pandora stopped working a month ago and I'm curious of anyone here can help figure out the problem. FTR - I have contacted Marantz and they are currently researching the problem but I figured I would bring it up here.

Pandora opens fine but after selecting a station, there is a red and yellow circle that will flash off and on a few times and then it will kick me back to the page where my stations are listed. I have signed out of Pandora and then back in again, but no luck.

During my first phone call to Marantz, they asked me to do a few things and then determined that my internet router firewall was not allowing a connection to the AVR. Afterwards, I had the cable company come out to check this and alas....no problem with the router and no firewall. The cat 5 cable that connects to the AVR is fine too, I plugged it into my laptop and I was able to access the internet.

After my second phone call to Marantz, we tried a few things and in summary, they said I had no internet connection. For the hell of it, I moved my AVR to a different room and plugged it into a different cat 5 and it had the same issues.

Long story short, I can't access internet radio, Pandora, and I can't do a firmware update (no connection). However, this is what makes no sense to me - I can create a new station on Pandora (via laptop) and when I fire up Pandora on the AVR, it shows the new station (????). If I truly don't have an internet connection, how come it sees the new Pandora station?

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.
Turn on the AVR, try to access Pandora, then using your laptop, see if you can see the AVR on your network. This will tell you if you are at least have a good network connection. Then, (sorry I don't know this) is there a way to check your internet connection on the AVR itself, a menu that will allow you to check your IP address, etc?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #2427 of 2720 Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Keep us posted, Scott
Okay now I've had a chance to try this, but the radio was temperamental. First I could hear the radio with no inputs (or TV out) connected. Then I connected the TV and it was still fine. Then I connected HDMI 1 and I lost the radio. Unplugged HDMI 1, but the radio didn't come back. Despite the lack of HD Radio at this point, I tried several HDMI inputs one at a time, but never got sound out of any of them, same as before :/

Quote:
At what point should I usually hear that click? Right now, if I power the Marantz on, I'll hear a click when the "MAIN ZONE ON" message appears on the front panel display.

Quote:
Tried headphones in the front panel and didn't hear anything

Should I be looking at a full reset at this point? What's the right way to go about that?
post #2428 of 2720 Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 AM

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster...N_UG_v00-A.pdf

reset. It's not such a bid deal. You might lose your radio presets and have to redo Audyssey mic calibration but I think its your only shot.

I don't own an SR7005 but most receivers relays click around 4-5 seconds or so after powering up. The relay, a solenoid activated switch, is a disconnection to the speaker outputs because as an amp is warming up and getting ready to play music for you it sounds distorted and awful, possibly even dangerous to your tweeters, so they yank the connection as a form of protection during this brief period.

The relay will also click and disconnect is it senses danger like if your + and - wires accidentally touch. But almost all units I know of will give a big warning like "PROTECT MODE ON" on the front disply if this happens and you didn't say that was the case.

Plugging in headphones also disengages the speaker outs, on some units., on others the headphones and speakers can work simultaneously

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-04-2014 at 12:31 AM.
post #2429 of 2720 Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Ah okay, that click I'm hearing sounds like the standard one for powering on that you described. Thanks for the info on resetting. My calibration was a painstaking manual job done by a friend of mine, but it's actually a perfect time to wipe it all since I'm about to move anyway.
post #2430 of 2720 Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster...N_UG_v00-A.pdf

reset. It's not such a bid deal. You might lose your radio presets and have to redo Audyssey mic calibration but I think its your only shot.

I don't own an SR7005 but most receivers relays click around 4-5 seconds or so after powering up. The relay, a solenoid activated switch, is a disconnection to the speaker outputs because as an amp is warming up and getting ready to play music for you it sounds distorted and awful, possibly even dangerous to your tweeters, so they yank the connection as a form of protection during this brief period.

The relay will also click and disconnect is it senses danger like if your + and - wires accidentally touch. But almost all units I know of will give a big warning like "PROTECT MODE ON" on the front disply if this happens and you didn't say that was the case.

Plugging in headphones also disengages the speaker outs, on some units., on others the headphones and speakers can work simultaneously
I loved this helpful note from page 117 of the manual: "If setting details are saved before returning to the default values, after returning to the default settings, setting details can be returned to the same values as before returning to the defaults."

Anyway, if the reset doesnt work, you might see if there's a repair shop in your area and get an estimate for repair. Failing both of those, seriously, I'd replace it. Its not worth it. (sorry again)

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page