The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #2671 of 2720 Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Nice, clean setup. We were in North Phoenix, 32nd Street & Shea area. Nice home, pool, neighborhood but after almost 40 years, enough was enough. My blood pressure was up, etc etc. We are in northern AZ now and so much happier.
I was on 59th Ave and the I-101 Fwy in North Glendale. I hear you about the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Here's the cooling unit JD recommended. A really nice clean, compact unit: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...n+system&psc=1
Yes that's the one JD recommended. I have some research to do but thanks all for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2720 Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody else gets this message from iTunes?

Marantz SR7005 has been working with iTunes AirPlay for years in my house and with latest update of the iTunes (12.7.4.76) I get this message when trying to AirPlay content to Marantz:

The AirPlay device "marantz:[SR7005]" is not compatible with this version of iTunes.

Check the attached screenshot.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 10.01.52.png
Views:	23
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2383802  
post #2673 of 2720 Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zormic View Post

Marantz SR7005 has been working with iTunes AirPlay for years in my house and with latest update of the iTunes (12.7.4.76) I get this message when trying to AirPlay content to Marantz:

The AirPlay device "marantz:[SR7005]" is not compatible with this version of iTunes.

Thanks!

Yes when I used to have this receiver (after my Marantz went in for servicing, it got refreshed with the original settings, then I could no longer get AirPlay to work).
zormic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2720 Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zormic View Post

Thanks!
Anybody ever get a fix for this? All of a sudden I'm getting this message when trying to use airplay when
using the macbook but not when using the iphone. I've spoken with both Apple and Marantz support and can't seem to get it working.
post #2675 of 2720 Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator1634 View Post
Anybody ever get a fix for this? All of a sudden I'm getting this message when trying to use airplay when
using the macbook but not when using the iphone. I've spoken with both Apple and Marantz support and can't seem to get it working.
I can confirm that 12.7.4.76 works for me to stream via Airplay from my MacBook to my SR7005, my Mac is on the latest MacOS 10.13.4
post #2676 of 2720 Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an SR7005 bought new five years ago - the video has gone out twice. Had it fixed by United Radio two years ago, now is broken again. Anyone have similar issues or thoughts on longevity?
post #2677 of 2720 Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 3849
^There have been other reports of the HDMI video board burning out. It is hard to determine what percentage of units have this issue.

New topic. NEVER consult a repair facility if a unit is worth fixing. Their interest is to drum up business and they'll always say the same things like:

- "That unit's a keeper. You made a great decision buying it. It's a beauty; a real gem."
- "Hard to say exactly what's wrong but it could be something quite simple. Why don't you send it in and we'll give it a look?".
- "They don't make 'em like they used to. The new ones are cheaply made and junk."

In truth:

- technology improves rather than degrades over the years.
- new units are usually more affordable yet have the newest technology even compared to units made just a few years ago.
- new units come with a new warranty, usually 2 or 3 years, covering everything whereas repairs are usually only covered for 90 days and that only covers the work that was done, not the entire unit.
- repairs often take a month or more to get back whereas buying a new one has it in your hands in under a week.
post #2678 of 2720 Old 05-29-2018, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
^^^

truth.

hey mz.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2679 of 2720 Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Hey, long time no see.
post #2680 of 2720 Old 05-30-2018, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
yeah, been awhile. keeps me from spending money. 😄

but hdmi 2.2 got me, so i hadda spend a little bit.
m. zillch likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2681 of 2720 Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question Front Wide guidance Marantz SR7005 Heresy ii / Magneplanar MMG

I have a multi-part question. An answer to the first question might make the others moot.

I have a Marantz SR7005 powering two Klipsch Heresy II's and two Magneplanar MMG's (also a Klipsch SW and a Klipsch Center). The Heresy II's and the MMG's are front speakers. I'm not interested in surround sound. I'd like to be able to listen to both of the speakers in tandem, and also switch between hearing only the Klipsch or only the Magneplanar. I can not get any music to come out of the Front Wide or Front Height speaker outputs, but I can get music to come out of the Surround outputs. Sound does come out of the Front Wide and Front Height when I test channel levels. I don't understand this but it might not matter. First question...

1. If I use the Surround outputs instead of the Front Wide outputs, will the receiver send different information to the Surround outputs as it might to the Front Wide outputs or will the information be the same (so long as I am listening in MULTI-CHANNEL STEREO)?

2. What are some reasons I might not get sound out of the Front Wide speakers? They work during channel level tests, but do not
work when playing music (and TV for that matter with HDMI ARC)?

3. Is it an input mode issue? I essentially want to run a 4.1 with two Front (small) and two Front Wide (small) and one SW (no center channel for music, just for TV). Any help or suggestions are so greatly appreciated. I'm overwhelmed by the generosity on this forum. It's unreal.
post #2682 of 2720 Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
So you want both speakers to play the identical signal? If so, then you're not looking for wide, but for front A/B setup, which should be an option under speaker configuration. It will reassign one of your speaker outputs as front B. Hook it to that post and you will get sound from both. Not sure if you can level match front A/B or not on that receiver. Another option is all channel stereo, but then your center still receives a summed mono signal during multichannel content rather than the discrete center signal.
post #2683 of 2720 Old 06-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Thank you for the reply! Exactly right. I initially set it up as A / B but I can NOT level match so the Heresy's just totally drowned out the MMG's. If I can use Front Wide, I can level match. I'm doing that now with surround but my suspicion is that the information would be somehow processed differently if it were the Front Wide.
post #2684 of 2720 Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknameH View Post
Thank you for the reply! Exactly right. I initially set it up as A / B but I can NOT level match so the Heresy's just totally drowned out the MMG's. If I can use Front Wide, I can level match. I'm doing that now with surround but my suspicion is that the information would be somehow processed differently if it were the Front Wide.
You should set it up as surround and select All Channel Stereo. As far as I know, that's the only way to get the receiver to copy the signal to both speakers and allow level matching. This will cause the aforementioned issue of the center channel receiving summed mono signal rather than discrete center channel info. Also, the only modes on this receiver that will allow Front Wide use are Audyssey DSX and Multi-Channel In--but multi-channel in requires a discrete multi-channel input. Audyssey DSX will extract or create ambience and put it in the Wide speakers, rather than duplicate the signal from the main L/R speakers. It might be worth giving a shot to see how you like it.

There are a couple alternatives I can think of. The most useful, straightforward, and costly is a second amp. This will work with all inputs. In this case, you power one set of fronts with the SR7005, and send a signal from the front pre-outs to a second amplifier, which then powers the other set of front speakers. This way, you can level match the speakers manually (either by ear, or by SPL meter) by adjusting volume on receiver 2.

There's another alternative involving Y-splitters and the multi-channel input, but this would likely not be applicable and be limited to one source anyway, but might have use depending on what your inputs are and if you particularly want to leave the center channel out but use both fronts on a specific input.

Setup:
Spoiler!
post #2685 of 2720 Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
You should set it up as surround and select All Channel Stereo. As far as I know, that's the only way to get the receiver to copy the signal to both speakers and allow level matching. This will cause the aforementioned issue of the center channel receiving summed mono signal rather than discrete center channel info. Also, the only modes on this receiver that will allow Front Wide use are Audyssey DSX and Multi-Channel In--but multi-channel in requires a discrete multi-channel input. Audyssey DSX will extract or create ambience and put it in the Wide speakers, rather than duplicate the signal from the main L/R speakers. It might be worth giving a shot to see how you like it.

There are a couple alternatives I can think of. The most useful, straightforward, and costly is a second amp. This will work with all inputs. In this case, you power one set of fronts with the SR7005, and send a signal from the front pre-outs to a second amplifier, which then powers the other set of front speakers. This way, you can level match the speakers manually (either by ear, or by SPL meter) by adjusting volume on receiver 2.

There's another alternative involving Y-splitters and the multi-channel input, but this would likely not be applicable and be limited to one source anyway, but might have use depending on what your inputs are and if you particularly want to leave the center channel out but use both fronts on a specific input.
Thank you so much @dkf an! You know I like any advice that includes the phrase "second amp!" That always sounds like a good idea to me!
post #2686 of 2720 Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much @dkf an! You know I like any advice that includes the phrase "second amp!" That always sounds like a good idea to me!
Any advice for a pre-amp (preferably older) that would pair nicely and do this job appropriately without risky damage to receiver or speakers? Adcom? NAD?
post #2687 of 2720 Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Getting two signals out of these AVRs is usually quite difficult if you use any form of room correction, even as minimal as balance L vs R for a front pair of completely non-EQ'd, non-distance correction speakers! Obviously settings such as EQ, distance (delay), and level only apply for a specific location. If you then apply those corrective measures for a secondary spot the sound is horrible.

Using "Zone 2" can work around this but has its own set of limitations . {Like incoming HDMI signals being barred from traveling out to Zone 2 RCA analog outs}

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #2688 of 2720 Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 741 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked: 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Getting two signals out of these AVRs is usually quite difficult if you use any form of room correction, even as minimal as balance L vs R for a front pair of completely non-EQ'd, non-distance correction speakers! Obviously settings such as EQ, distance (delay), and level only apply for a specific location. If you then apply those corrective measures for a secondary spot the sound is horrible.

Using "Zone 2" can work around this but has its own set of limitations . {Like incoming HDMI signals being barred from traveling out to Zone 2 RCA analog outs}
Note that as of the release of the 2013 models (ie. SR6008/SR7008 and newer), it is possible to pass a stereo 2.0 signal from an HDMI source to Zone 2.
m. zillch likes this.
post #2689 of 2720 Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any advice for a pre-amp (preferably older) that would pair nicely and do this job appropriately without risky damage to receiver or speakers? Adcom? NAD?
I don't have any recommendations, except to get an amp rated to power 4 ohm speakers for the MMG, and has enough power to get loud enough to keep up with your Klipsch (but honestly unless you listen at very loud levels you will probably be alright). I'd also recommend investing in an SPL meter to level match your speakers, including the center vs L/R.

The once issue that may not be easily solvable is one m. zillch mentioned, getting the delays correct between the speakers, unless you can make them equidistant from the MLP. This may or may not be a bothersome issue for you. I also would recommend against implementing the receiver's built in room correction under this setup.

EDIT: After thinking about it a little more, you could also level match with some trial and error using your receiver's built in measurements, hooking up one set of the speakers to the second amp and the surround pre outs on the receiver, and adjusting the volume on the second amp until the AVR has them each at equal volume adjustments, and then swapping the pre outs to the fronts, and re-running the setup, and letting that set the relative volumes of your center, dual fronts, and sub. That should level match your speakers evenly. Distance may still be a settng you need to play with, unless the amp you select has delay settings. As for room correction, if you choose to use it, it is not a terrible idea, IF the receiver has a "bypass front L/R" setting for it. Otherwise skip it. SPL meter or calibrated mic plus REW would be simpler for level matching but this method should work, assuming you don't run out of headroom on volume adjustments.

Last edited by dkfan9; 07-03-2018 at 07:32 AM.
post #2690 of 2720 Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Note that as of the release of the 2013 models (ie. SR6008/SR7008 and newer), it is possible to pass a stereo 2.0 signal from an HDMI source to Zone 2.
Interesting but my main HDMI device of concern, my Cablebox/DVR, is set to provide me with 5.1 and the nuisance of having to go into a menu on it to switch it to "HDMI stereo 2ch out" just for when I need stereo in zone 2 [actually my desktop system in the same room used more often then 5.1 use] isn't going to happen.

What's especially annoying about this is that not only is the technology easy and inexpensive, it already exists in the product! This is how the headphone jack output works for HDMI 5.1 sources for example. Why can't I have that functionality for my Zone 2 out, D&M Holdings? [Could be some whack "anti-piracy" mentality from the Hollyweird/HDMI folks? Not sure. (Decoding HDMI to HD analog component outs frightens them because it then becomes more easily copied, for example, so they frown on that) ]

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-02-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #2691 of 2720 Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Pandora will no longer be supported internally on this AVR; however, you can still use Airplay to stream it to the AVR.

https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/ans...ue---sept-2018
post #2692 of 2720 Old 12-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Marantz sr7005 missing channels

Hi, I just joined because I have an issue with my Marantz sr7005.

I have just re-done my room and changed the surround speakers. I go through set up, both manual and automatic, and the amp 'sees' all 7 speakers, however, when i play anything it does not see the SBL or SBR.

I also set up the ARC function form my TV and this is always in stereo.

I have done a factory reset, with the same results

any help very gratefully received !!
post #2693 of 2720 Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkstevenage View Post
Hi, I just joined because I have an issue with my Marantz sr7005.

I have just re-done my room and changed the surround speakers. I go through set up, both manual and automatic, and the amp 'sees' all 7 speakers, however, when i play anything it does not see the SBL or SBR.

I also set up the ARC function form my TV and this is always in stereo.

I have done a factory reset, with the same results

any help very gratefully received !!
1. Unless the source is 7.1, for 5.1 and 2.0 audio, you'll need to select a surround mode with +PLIIx to simulate audio to the SB speakers.
2. Check your TV's setting for ARC as the best it may do is only stereo, especially if an older model.
post #2694 of 2720 Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Question Marantz SR7005 + Vandersteen 2w Subwoofer

I know, I know. It's impossible. I got an email today from Richard Vandersteen today confirming, that yes, it is indeed not possible to run the 2W Subwoofer with "ANY A/V Receiver." But the Marantz SR7005 does have Preouts (maybe it's the Main-in's it's missing?)

So I'm posting here as a last ditch effort. Is there any way, any work around, any trick I can try to run the Vandersteen 2W subwoofer with a Marantz SR7005. The 2W doesn't have any LFE in or out. It has a Left and Right In for banana Plugs. I am running Vandersteen Model 1c's as my mains (and Klipsch Heresy ii's as basically Front Wides). All the preouts from the Marantz SR 7005 are RCA outs.

I tried running speaker wires from the Left and Right surround outs into the subwoofer and it did indeed push bass out of the 2W and it sounded pretty ok... until I turned the receiver off, then a large buzzing noise came from the 2W. I also tried running the 2W out of the B speakers and then played the A+B together, but again, sounded pretty good until I deselected the B speakers, then the buzz again. Do I have a beautiful, heavy and expensive coffer table, or is there a way?

Last edited by NicknameH; 01-04-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #2695 of 2720 Old 01-05-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I know, I know. It's impossible. I got an email today from Richard Vandersteen today confirming, that yes, it is indeed not possible to run the 2W Subwoofer with "ANY A/V Receiver." But the Marantz SR7005 does have Preouts (maybe it's the Main-in's it's missing?)

So I'm posting here as a last ditch effort. Is there any way, any work around, any trick I can try to run the Vandersteen 2W subwoofer with a Marantz SR7005. The 2W doesn't have any LFE in or out. It has a Left and Right In for banana Plugs. I am running Vandersteen Model 1c's as my mains (and Klipsch Heresy ii's as basically Front Wides). All the preouts from the Marantz SR 7005 are RCA outs.

I tried running speaker wires from the Left and Right surround outs into the subwoofer and it did indeed push bass out of the 2W and it sounded pretty ok... until I turned the receiver off, then a large buzzing noise came from the 2W. I also tried running the 2W out of the B speakers and then played the A+B together, but again, sounded pretty good until I deselected the B speakers, then the buzz again. Do I have a beautiful, heavy and expensive coffer table, or is there a way?
Purchase a dedicated sub amp and place it between the SR7005 and 2W.
NicknameH likes this.
post #2696 of 2720 Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM

Question Pre-out Main-in Loop

Does the SR7005 have a pre-out, main in loop? I know that it definitely has pre-outs, but I'm not sure it has main-ins. Does anyone here know?

Last edited by NicknameH; 01-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #2697 of 2720 Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Does the SR7005 have a pre-out, main in loop? I know that it definitely has pre-outs, but I'm not sure it has main-ins. Does anyone here know?
All "SR" models going back that far and beyond have "7.1 EXT IN" inputs. Also, all Denon/Marantz models have their rear panel images listed in their respective Owner manuals, in this case for the SR7005, p. 102.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	2506772  
NicknameH likes this.
post #2698 of 2720 Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Question

Quote:
All "SR" models going back that far and beyond have "7.1 EXT IN" inputs. Also, all Denon/Marantz models have their rear panel images listed in their respective Owner manuals, in this case for the SR7005, p. 102.
Right. What I'm getting at is, do I need to use a separate amp to insert the W-X2 crossover apparatus (that the Vandy 2W needs to work properly) between the amp (which in this case would be my NAD) and preamp (SR preouts), or can I insert the W-X2 crossover in between the amp and preamp of the Marantz using it's own preouts and ins?

I appreciate your help SO much!
post #2699 of 2720 Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Right. What I'm getting at is, do I need to use a separate amp to insert the W-X2 crossover apparatus (that the Vandy 2W needs to work properly) between the amp (which in this case would be my NAD) and preamp (SR preouts), or can I insert the W-X2 crossover in between the amp and preamp of the Marantz using it's own preouts and ins?

I appreciate your help SO much!
If the 2W is not powered, then an external amp is required.
post #2700 of 2720 Old 01-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If the 2W is not powered, then an external amp is required.
The 2W has it's own internal amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page