The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #2701 of 2720 Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5332 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknameH View Post
Vandersteen 2W subwoofer with a Marantz SR7005
"Input Terminals

(2) Bananas which accept high-level input

from power amplifier"
https://www.vandersteen.com/products...ies-subwoofers

This unusual method is expecting you to run the sr7005 in "No sub" mode which then sends all the low bass to the front L and R speaker outs. A secondary set of wires also goes to the sub's banana inputs from these outputs in addition to the normal pair leading to your L and R speakers which you run as "Large".
NicknameH likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2720 Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Comparable to Marantz SR7005?

I currently have a Marantz SR 7005. I love it. I'm running two Vandersteen Model 1c's (Speaker A), two Klipsch Heresy ii's (Speaker B), and a huge Vandersteen 2W Subwoofer. I listen to music from the phono input using a turntable, wirelessly from my phone to a Chromecast device, and through the Spotify app from my TV. I do this using the HDMI ARC cable that runs back and forth from my tv to the Marantz. MY AT&T cable box is also attached to the Marantz.

My question is, if I move to a 2 channel system (I have my eye on a pair of Klipsch Cornwall ii's) could I replace my Marantz SR7005 with a two channel Preamp/Amp combo, like an older AdCom or something, that does not have HDMI? Would I need Optical at the very least? Or could I run the whole thing RCA style?

Also, if I could do this, what would be a good Preamp/Amp or receiver for a two channel system that can accommodate music listening and TV watching?
post #2703 of 2720 Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys! Can someone tell me if the sr7005 can support a 4K projector?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 2720 Old 04-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33gutch View Post
Hi guys! Can someone tell me if the sr7005 can support a 4K projector?
Thanks!
No, as it is a 2010 model. Only the 2015 and newer models are able to pass a 4k/HDCP 2.2 signal.
post #2705 of 2720 Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 PM

Liked: 17
Setting up Marantz SR 7005

Trying to set up using STB and monitor. Should I plug in HDMI from STB into Marantz STB input? Then how do I handle the TV HDMI? Does that get connected to the STB?
Currently I have my STB connected to my Oppo105 via HDMI back and ny monitor connected to the 7005 via BD input.

TIA

Last edited by gelly; 05-30-2019 at 03:57 AM.
post #2706 of 2720 Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post
Trying to set up using STB and monitor. Should I plug in HDMI from STB into Marantz STB input? Then how do I handle the TV HDMI? Does that get connected to the STB?
Currently I have my STB connected to my Oppo105 via HDMI back and ny monitor connected to the 7005 via BD input.

TIA
The only reason to connect the STB directly to the Oppo is if the Oppo is providing better HDMI upscaling picture quality than your TV is doing, otherwise, just connect it to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Then again, if it all works for you as configured now, no reason to change it.
post #2707 of 2720 Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The only reason to connect the STB directly to the Oppo is if the Oppo is providing better HDMI upscaling picture quality than your TV is doing, otherwise, just connect it to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Then again, if it all works for you as configured now, no reason to change it.
Thanks. My main objective is to take advantage of the Samsung Q60R. I'd actually like to connect my Apple 4K into the Samsung HDMI2 and disconnect the STB from the Oppo 105 and connect it into Marantz. My questions is will I notice a difference in sound quality from the Oppo to the Marantz?
post #2708 of 2720 Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM

OK. So now I'm really confusing myself. Hooked the Samsung to the HDMI ARC in the 7005, Next the ATV to the HDMI to the Samsung. so as you guessed no sound on the ATV. So I connected a optical cable from the Samsung to the 7005. good sound and good picture. However when using the ATV I can no longer view the current volume or auto mode(ie surround,dolby etc). Cant seem to find a menu option on the 7005 or ATV to enable this. I can view volume and mode on the STB(connected into the 7005 via HDMI) without problem. Thanks
post #2709 of 2720 Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks. My main objective is to take advantage of the Samsung Q60R. I'd actually like to connect my Apple 4K into the Samsung HDMI2 and disconnect the STB from the Oppo 105 and connect it into Marantz. My questions is will I notice a difference in sound quality from the Oppo to the Marantz?
No reason there should be.

Quote:
OK. So now I'm really confusing myself. Hooked the Samsung to the HDMI ARC in the 7005, Next the ATV to the HDMI to the Samsung. so as you guessed no sound on the ATV. So I connected a optical cable from the Samsung to the 7005. good sound and good picture. However when using the ATV I can no longer view the current volume or auto mode(ie surround,dolby etc). Cant seem to find a menu option on the 7005 or ATV to enable this. I can view volume and mode on the STB(connected into the 7005 via HDMI) without problem. Thanks
The source video must pass through the AVR if you want the GUI/menu to display.
post #2710 of 2720 Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 AM

So I guess my only option( if i want to take advantage of the 4k in my ATV and new Samsung), is to run all my components(ATV,STB and Oppo) through the inputes on my Samsung, Then optical from 7005 to Samsung? Am I missing something? Thanks
post #2711 of 2720 Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So I guess my only option( if i want to take advantage of the 4k in my ATV and new Samsung), is to run all my components(ATV,STB and Oppo) through the inputes on my Samsung, Then optical from 7005 to Samsung? Am I missing something? Thanks
Correct, although optical or HDMI(ARC).
post #2712 of 2720 Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Correct, although optical or HDMI(ARC).
Thx. Im just not sure why i can't mix and march. ie have the ATV connected to the TV , and optical cable from TV to 7005. Then have the Oppo into the 7005 via HDMI etc ?
post #2713 of 2720 Old 07-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio on Monitor-2 out port

A How-To Question about the Monitor 2 feature: The SR7005 has two HDMI out ports. I usually just use Monitor 1 and the video goes via HDMI to the big screen TV and the audio goes to the speakers. Now I want to set up a second monitor with built-in speakers in another room. I connected an HDMI cable from Monitor-2 HDMI out port into the second monitor. Then I selected Monitor-2 by pressing the HMDI-OUT button on the front panel. The video goes to the second monitor, but the audio still goes to the external speakers (which are in the other room where monitor 1 is).

How can I tell the AVR that when I am using monitor 2 that it should send the audio out the HDMI cable and not out the speaker jacks?

I can't set up another Zone with a set of external speakers for the second monitor. I'm already using every speaker I can in the monitor 1 room. And, even if I could, I don't want to have to run speaker wires into the second room.

Advice please....
post #2714 of 2720 Old 07-26-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONUSA View Post
A How-To Question about the Monitor 2 feature: The SR7005 has two HDMI out ports. I usually just use Monitor 1 and the video goes via HDMI to the big screen TV and the audio goes to the speakers. Now I want to set up a second monitor with built-in speakers in another room. I connected an HDMI cable from Monitor-2 HDMI out port into the second monitor. Then I selected Monitor-2 by pressing the HMDI-OUT button on the front panel. The video goes to the second monitor, but the audio still goes to the external speakers (which are in the other room where monitor 1 is).

How can I tell the AVR that when I am using monitor 2 that it should send the audio out the HDMI cable and not out the speaker jacks?

I can't set up another Zone with a set of external speakers for the second monitor. I'm already using every speaker I can in the monitor 1 room. And, even if I could, I don't want to have to run speaker wires into the second room.

Advice please....
Set the <HDMI Audio Out> (p. 82 Owner's manual) setting to "TV" instead of "Amp".

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-26-2019 at 12:16 AM.
post #2715 of 2720 Old 07-28-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Set the <HDMI Audio Out> (p. 82 Owner's manual) setting to "TV" instead of "Amp".
Thanks for the quick reply. I see how to change the auto output between AMP and TV, but I'd like it to be AMP for Monitor1 and TV for Monitor2. It looks like that is not possible without going through the menu each time. That's a little too complicated for some of the users.
post #2716 of 2720 Old 07-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I see how to change the auto output between AMP and TV, but I'd like it to be AMP for Monitor1 and TV for Monitor2. It looks like that is not possible without going through the menu each time. That's a little too complicated for some of the users.
Correct. Monitor 2 is simply a mirror of Monitor 1 (ie. cannot have independent settings).
post #2717 of 2720 Old 07-30-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Correct. Monitor 2 is simply a mirror of Monitor 1 (ie. cannot have independent settings).
I found a solution that does not require me to through the tedious setup process described in the manual on page 82 every time I want to switch HDMI monitors. There is an iOS app called DeRemote that I installed on an iPad. Under Sound Setting just tape HDMI Audio Output and with one tap it switches audio between AMP and HDMI. Under Video Settings one tap also switches between HDMI monitors. So, two taps and everything is reconfigured. It is also a big improvement over the remote that came with the AVR.
post #2718 of 2720 Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I found a solution that does not require me to through the tedious setup process described in the manual on page 82 every time I want to switch HDMI monitors. There is an iOS app called DeRemote that I installed on an iPad. Under Sound Setting just tape HDMI Audio Output and with one tap it switches audio between AMP and HDMI. Under Video Settings one tap also switches between HDMI monitors. So, two taps and everything is reconfigured. It is also a big improvement over the remote that came with the AVR.
This use case is now possible on the 2014 and newer models with the introduction of the <Smart Select - HDMI Video Output> setting with up to 4 Smart Select buttons available on the AVR remote control.
post #2719 of 2720 Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SR7005 just tried to implode. While watching Netflix, audio cut out for 5~10 seconds and then there was a very loud static-y noise for about a second. At no point has video signal been lost through the unit, but I have no audio from any source, including if I output the audio to the TV instead of the Amp (as discussed a few posts above). I have also confirmed the signal from the Playstation plugged directly in to the TV works just fine. As well, I have also done a the manual reset (hold 3 buttons) exercise.

So it seems likely something has shorted out inside after the HDMI input but before any of that audio signal gets routed through the unit.

Not sure if anyone can point me at something specific to look for. I'm reasonably handy and would be annoyed to toss this in the junk heap if indeed it's a simple repair.
post #2720 of 2720 Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnywg View Post
My SR7005 just tried to implode. While watching Netflix, audio cut out for 5~10 seconds and then there was a very loud static-y noise for about a second. At no point has video signal been lost through the unit, but I have no audio from any source, including if I output the audio to the TV instead of the Amp (as discussed a few posts above). I have also confirmed the signal from the Playstation plugged directly in to the TV works just fine. As well, I have also done a the manual reset (hold 3 buttons) exercise.

So it seems likely something has shorted out inside after the HDMI input but before any of that audio signal gets routed through the unit.

Not sure if anyone can point me at something specific to look for. I'm reasonably handy and would be annoyed to toss this in the junk heap if indeed it's a simple repair.
Well I took it in for diagnostics and the Digital Board has failed; no parts available. I did however find the full service manual online. I have half a mind to see if I can find an alternate solution to the junk bin still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page