The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 820 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2507Likes

post #24571 of 25147 Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Have a quick question here guys. Sorry about the Necro-bump.

I still use this reciever, and absolutely love it, in about another year i will move over to pre-amp setup.

I have two questions.
1. Without getting up, and going behind the subwoofer to turn off the bass, is there a setting within this receiver that i can use to switch off the bass when the wife's irritated. She doesnt like bass at night specially while watching soap or some tv series. I'd love to add this macro to the irule remote, "wife mode" lol

2. My fronts are Def Tech Mythos ST, and each time i am eq'ing the room, the avr sets up the fronts to small. DefTech support asked me to turn it back to large, so that i can get full range sound, as the speakers also have an inbuilt subwoofer, and also turn the MAIN+LFE mode in the AVR, this way i can make use of the full range of the speaker and bass from both the external subwoofer and the speakers inbuilt subwoofer.
Now the problem i am facing is, that instead of choosing a lower crossover frequency, it tunes to fronts to 120hz, as per def tech its better to have it at the lowest possible frequency, so in our case i set it to 40hz, but i've been told to try and make sure if this can be automatically picked up while tuning and be setup to the lowest (40hz), cos thats what is important than manually setting it to 40hz.

can you help. what am i missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24572 of 25147 Old 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
In the 4311's menu turn the sub off and set speakers to large, then use Quick Select #1 to save. Save your daytime settings as QS #2. Easy peasy.

Vaguely recall reading DefTech's, external subs and Audyssey don't play well together. Since you already have an external sub, ask DefTech if one can turn off the internal woofer. From everything I read MAIN + LFE is not a recommended combination.
post #24573 of 25147 Old 10-14-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22770 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Have a quick question here guys. Sorry about the Necro-bump.

I still use this reciever, and absolutely love it, in about another year i will move over to pre-amp setup.

I have two questions.
1. Without getting up, and going behind the subwoofer to turn off the bass, is there a setting within this receiver that i can use to switch off the bass when the wife's irritated. She doesnt like bass at night specially while watching soap or some tv series. I'd love to add this macro to the irule remote, "wife mode" lol

2. My fronts are Def Tech Mythos ST, and each time i am eq'ing the room, the avr sets up the fronts to small. DefTech support asked me to turn it back to large, so that i can get full range sound, as the speakers also have an inbuilt subwoofer, and also turn the MAIN+LFE mode in the AVR, this way i can make use of the full range of the speaker and bass from both the external subwoofer and the speakers inbuilt subwoofer.
Now the problem i am facing is, that instead of choosing a lower crossover frequency, it tunes to fronts to 120hz, as per def tech its better to have it at the lowest possible frequency, so in our case i set it to 40hz, but i've been told to try and make sure if this can be automatically picked up while tuning and be setup to the lowest (40hz), cos thats what is important than manually setting it to 40hz.

1. The newer XT32 models now also feature Audyssey Low Frequency Containment (LFC) which will attenuate the lower bass frequencies of the sub (ie. <60Hz or so). In your case, you can set Audyssey Dynamic Volume to MEDIUM which will attenuate the entire sub frequency range and resolve the issue as well.

2. If the Def Tech in built subs are powered on, your speakers should not be getting set to SMALL, and as their crossovers are being set to 120Hz that almost certainly means you don't have the subs plugged in to a power outlet, or, if they are, they are defective. Also, by manually setting them to LARGE after running Audyssey, you are opening up un-EQ'd frequencies below the original crossover setting (in this case anything below 120Hz) which is never recommended. And finally, using the LFE+MAIN setting only applies when the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE and is also never recommended as it generally produces bloated or "double" bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24574 of 25147 Old 10-30-2016, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a few searches and came up empty, but it may be because it's difficult to figure a good search string.

Anyways, after having all of my gear in storage for a year, I finally got it all hooked back up. Currently, I'm running GoldenEar Triton 3 Front L/R, DefTech CLR 2500 Center, and DefTech SM350 Surrounds. The problem I'm having is kind of weird. If I just run the Front L/R and Center (Front: Small, Center: Small, Sub: 2, Crossover: 80 Hz, Sub cable running to each Triton 3), I get some of the best bass I've ever had in this system. I have 2 DefTech SuperCube II's, but they're not hooked up because I'm getting more than enough out of these Triton 3's.

So the problem is when I change Surrounds from "None" to "Small", my bass response completely disappears! If I watch identical movie clips, it's literally like the subs in the Triton 3's aren't getting a signal. It's really confusing to me.

I never actually ran Audyssey setup after hooking up the surrounds, so that may be what's causing this strange behavior. I suppose I could save my current config via the web control, and then run audyssey, but figured I'd ask if anyone knows of things to check in the receiver's configuration that be why the bass is so strong running front l/r and center and disappears when I turn on the surrounds?

Thanks in advanced!

Kyle
post #24575 of 25147 Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerscrt View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a few searches and came up empty, but it may be because it's difficult to figure a good search string.

Anyways, after having all of my gear in storage for a year, I finally got it all hooked back up. Currently, I'm running GoldenEar Triton 3 Front L/R, DefTech CLR 2500 Center, and DefTech SM350 Surrounds. The problem I'm having is kind of weird. If I just run the Front L/R and Center (Front: Small, Center: Small, Sub: 2, Crossover: 80 Hz, Sub cable running to each Triton 3), I get some of the best bass I've ever had in this system. I have 2 DefTech SuperCube II's, but they're not hooked up because I'm getting more than enough out of these Triton 3's.

So the problem is when I change Surrounds from "None" to "Small", my bass response completely disappears! If I watch identical movie clips, it's literally like the subs in the Triton 3's aren't getting a signal. It's really confusing to me.

I never actually ran Audyssey setup after hooking up the surrounds, so that may be what's causing this strange behavior. I suppose I could save my current config via the web control, and then run audyssey, but figured I'd ask if anyone knows of things to check in the receiver's configuration that be why the bass is so strong running front l/r and center and disappears when I turn on the surrounds?

Thanks in advanced!

Kyle

If you are using Audyssey, whenever you add more speakers, you'll need to run Audyssey again.
post #24576 of 25147 Old 10-31-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 4904 Post(s)
Liked: 5287
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerscrt View Post
I never actually ran Audyssey setup after hooking up the surrounds, so that may be what's causing this strange behavior.
That is exactly what's causing it -- when you add additional speakers, Audyssey turns off automatically because it doesn't have a calibrated profile for the new speakers. So when Audyssey is disabled, you also lose Dynamic EQ, and there goes your bass.
bmcn likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #24577 of 25147 Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Anyone care to explain the signal path of an itunes file on a thumb drive. How is it decoded, and im trying to wrap my head around bits and bites, but what happens to my music when i listen in PLXII Music
post #24578 of 25147 Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Anyone care to explain the signal path of an itunes file on a thumb drive. How is it decoded, and im trying to wrap my head around bits and bites, but what happens to my music when i listen in PLXII Music
USB is stereo only so then PLII would simulate the audio to the SL/SR speakers and PLIIx would simulate audio to the SBL/SBR speakers.
post #24579 of 25147 Old 11-05-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 238
So, the files are in the USB drive, the Denon does what with them, how is the file handled bit wise, all the bits confuse me, what happens when PLIIx gets ahold of it, i'd like to know as it passes from hand to hand.....

Are HiRes files lessened in quality if i use PLIIx ?

Last edited by kgveteran; 11-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.
post #24580 of 25147 Old 11-05-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
So, the files are in the USB drive, the Denon does what with them, how is the file handled bit wise, all the bits confuse me, what happens when PLIIx gets ahold of it, i'd like to know as it passes from hand to hand.....

Are HiRes files lessened in quality if i use PLIIx ?
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have Audyssey turned on, high-resolution files are downsampled to a sample rate of 48 kHz. Denon and other AVR makers have made that choice, since a higher sample rate would require more processing power (see http://www.audioholics.com/room-acou...m-eq-interview).

So with Audyssey on, DSD files on a USB drive are converted to PCM, and all high-rez files downsampled if the sample rate is higher than 48 kHz. Obviously, files at 44.1 or lower sample rates need no downsampling. Next, the files are converted to analog. If you have PLIIx turned on, then I believe the additional channels are derived in the analog realm.

With Audyssey off, everything happens as described in the previous paragraph, except that the files on the USB drive are already in PCM format and are then converted to analog without any downsampling. I find that the advantages of Audyssey outweigh any loss of audible detail caused by downsampling, so I always leave Audyssey on regardless of the file's resolution.

If you have a Denon model that can convert a DSD file directly to analog without a prior conversion to PCM, the AVR must be set to DIRECT in this situation, ruling out the use of Audyssey, PLIIx or other DSP modes, and the AVR's bass management.
bmcn likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #24581 of 25147 Old 11-15-2016, 02:14 AM

No longer able to logon to Pandora

Pandora updated their Security certificates on October 24, 2016 which has resulted in no longer being able to logon to Pandora. Denon will have to release a firmware update to resolve the issue; which has already started on the 2013 and newer models after a similar update was done by Pandora July 2016. Refer to the following Denon URL for the most up to date information as to when your specific model is expected to receive the firmware update ---> http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-using-pandora
lightbox likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-15-2016 at 07:21 AM.
post #24582 of 25147 Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Pandora updated their Security certificates on October 24, 2016 which has resulted in no longer being able to logon to Pandora. Denon will have to release a firmware update to resolve the issue; which has already started on the 2013 and newer models after a similar update was done by Pandora July 2016. Refer to the following Denon URL for the most up to date information as to when your specific model is expected to receive the firmware update ---> http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-using-pandora
Thank you for the information.
Your link did not work for me.
post #24583 of 25147 Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culliganman View Post
Thank you for the information.
Your link did not work for me.
Edited the link. Please try again.
post #24584 of 25147 Old 11-15-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Works now.
Thanks.
post #24585 of 25147 Old 11-23-2016, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is the preamp out voltage for each of the main zone's five connectors? I am interested in an Emotiva XPA 3 amp but it requires 1.5 volts minimum for each connection.

I also understand that if I pre amp the main zone I can still listen to zone 2 and 3 through the 4311's amps using height and surround. Just wanted to confirm that also. Thanks!

Sorry if this has been posted before and if I just missed it.
post #24586 of 25147 Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb55 View Post
What is the preamp out voltage for each of the main zone's five connectors? I am interested in an Emotiva XPA 3 amp but it requires 1.5 volts minimum for each connection.

I also understand that if I pre amp the main zone I can still listen to zone 2 and 3 through the 4311's amps using height and surround. Just wanted to confirm that also. Thanks!

Sorry if this has been posted before and if I just missed it.
Shouldn't be any issue using an Emotiva amp and yes, you can use the on board amps to power Zones 2/3.
post #24587 of 25147 Old 11-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb55 View Post
There's nothing to be concerned about, if Emotiva amps didn't work with standard consumer AV receivers then they wouldn't do a lot of business!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #24588 of 25147 Old 11-27-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The &quot;Official&quot; Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]

So the search begins for a 4311 replacement. I just bought a 4K OLED for my snow bird place in Florida. Currently running a 4311 with wides but might actually add highs in the new config. What's my best replacement choice in the current or one year old Denton line? Anything really good on the Black Friday or cyber Monday sales? Obviously 4K is the big new requirement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jmoline; 11-27-2016 at 09:01 AM.
post #24589 of 25147 Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Shouldn't be any issue using an Emotiva amp and yes, you can use the on board amps to power Zones 2/3.
no issues here, I use (2) xpa-5 with my 9.2 system and its flawless
post #24590 of 25147 Old 11-27-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoline View Post
So the search begins for a 4311 replacement. I just bought a 4K OLED for my snow bird place in Florida. Currently running a 4311 with wides but might actually add highs in the new config. What's my best replacement choice in the current or one year old Denton line? Anything really good on the Black Friday or cyber Monday sales? Obviously 4K is the big new requirement

I am going with this for my 9.2 system

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx7200wa
post #24591 of 25147 Old 11-27-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 158
My video signal problems continue. I believe both 'monitor out' ports are bad, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has other ideas I should try.

I've performed a microprocessor reset. I've unplugged the receiver and all connected devices for 10 min. Powered everything back on in the following order: pj, receiver, blu ray. Initially after starting a movie on the blu ray, I don't have video or audio, but as soon as I unplug the hdmi from the 'monitor out', audio comes right back. Seems odd that the presence of an hdmi cable in the monitor port is preventing the receiver from identifying an incoming hdmi audio signal.

Video works fine if going directly from blu ray to pj, so I know it's not a cable or pj problem. The issue seems to be with the 'monitor out' ports. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Spaceman; 11-27-2016 at 11:22 AM.
post #24592 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just wondering what is a good successor to the 4311ci in Denon or Marantz line? I see some good black Friday deals and with 4k becoming more popular may want to upgrade.
post #24593 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
Just wondering what is a good successor to the 4311ci in Denon or Marantz line? I see some good black Friday deals and with 4k becoming more popular may want to upgrade.
I actually upgraded to an Emotiva XMC-1. I couldn't be happier.

I now use my 4311 in my home office. I play music via AirPlay via Roon. It's awesome.
post #24594 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Either the Denon X6200W (last year model), X6300H (current model), or X7200WA (flagship still current).

For Marantz the highest AVR is the SR7010 / SR7011 level, or if you wanted to go full pre/pro you can get the AV7702 mkII and add external amps.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #24595 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I actually upgraded to an Emotiva XMC-1. I couldn't be happier.

I now use my 4311 in my home office. I play music via AirPlay via Roon. It's awesome.
What do you use for an amp with the Xmc-1?
post #24596 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Either the Denon X6200W (last year model), X6300H (current model), or X7200WA (flagship still current).

For Marantz the highest AVR is the SR7010 / SR7011 level, or if you wanted to go full pre/pro you can get the AV7702 mkII and add external amps.
Looking at the receivers the Denon x6200w seems to have a feature or two the X6300 doesn't (xt32 pro?) should one care about that or the x6300h a worthy successor?
Also what about the x4300h? The reason I ask is i'm a 5.1 user currently but got a great deal on the 4311ci and like it's upscale dacs/processing abilities.

What differences does Marantz offer anymore compared to Denon anymore?

Last edited by Briant73; 11-28-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #24597 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
no issues here, I use (2) xpa-5 with my 9.2 system and its flawless
Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I am going with this for my 9.2 system

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ers/avrx7200wa

The X7200WA is the current successor to the 4311CI. It's not scheduled to be replaced until Dec 2017.
post #24598 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Looking at the receivers the Denon x6200w seems to have a feature or two the X6300 doesn't (xt32 pro?) should one care about that or the x6300h a worthy successor?
Also what about the x4300h? The reason I ask is i'm a 5.1 user currently but got a great deal on the 4311ci and like it's upscale dacs/processing abilities.

What differences does Marantz offer anymore compared to Denon anymore?
Audyssey Pro enabled simply means the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) can be purchased separately and used in conjunction with the X6200W, whereas the 2016 Audyssey models (including the X4300H and X6300H) will be able to use the new Audyssey phone app ($20) with similar capability as the Pro Kit.
post #24599 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Audyssey Pro enabled simply means the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) can be purchased separately and used in conjunction with the X6200W, whereas the 2016 Audyssey models (including the X4300H and X6300H) will be able to use the new Audyssey phone app ($20) with similar capability as the Pro Kit.
Thank you!
post #24600 of 25147 Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The &quot;Official&quot; Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]

I've just started reading the 6300 vs 6200 comparisons and the first thing I find is that Support for wides is gone. Admittedly I have not followed the latest developments in home theater speaker placement. Is there a replacement for wides and where can I go to begin my education anew? Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by jmoline; 11-28-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , AVR-4311CI , Denon , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page