The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 830 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2505Likes

post #24871 of 25133 Old 05-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio Retun

I have an LG UF7300 TV and a 4311Ci receiver. I'm trying to use the HDMI audio return, but I'm doing something wrong.

The TV is connected to Monitor 1 and the on the TV it is HDMI 1. I've turned on audio return on the TV and on the receiver, but no sound. Is there a trick I'm missing?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24872 of 25133 Old 05-12-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I have an LG UF7300 TV and a 4311Ci receiver. I'm trying to use the HDMI audio return, but I'm doing something wrong.

The TV is connected to Monitor 1 and the on the TV it is HDMI 1. I've turned on audio return on the TV and on the receiver, but no sound. Is there a trick I'm missing?

thanks
I believe for that LG the HDMI port that supports ARC is HDMI 2. Check your manual.
post #24873 of 25133 Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I believe for that LG the HDMI port that supports ARC is HDMI 2. Check your manual.
I'll check, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24874 of 25133 Old 05-12-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. Use Dolby PLIIx.
the audio coming into the denon is already decoded, so the denon just passes it through, and gives me status throught the display and it says Multi Ch. Input Are you saying I can manipulate a multi ch. input ? I usually have the denon in cinema PLLIIx for stereo movies.......I would like to add rear surround to 5.1 multi ch. input sources.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #24875 of 25133 Old 05-12-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21832 Post(s)
Liked: 11829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
the audio coming into the denon is already decoded, so the denon just passes it through, and gives me status throught the display and it says Multi Ch. Input Are you saying I can manipulate a multi ch. input ? I usually have the denon in cinema PLLIIx for stereo movies.......I would like to add rear surround to 5.1 multi ch. input sources.
Correct. As noted on p. 51 in your Owner's manual.
post #24876 of 25133 Old 05-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Liked: 4824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Multi CH input just means the audio has already been decoded to 5.1 PCM. That's exactly the same as if the AVR had decoded a 5.1 Dolby/DTS signal internally -- end result is still 5.1 PCM. Just like any other track, the AVR can apply PLIIx to expand to 7.1 speaker output.

The only time you wouldn't be able to apply digital processing (like upmixing) is if you're using the 7.1 analog EXT IN inputs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #24877 of 25133 Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have purchased an SMSL B1 Bluetooth receiver to use with my Denon 4311. I will primarily be using the B1 to connect to an echo dot. Can I use the USB port on the back of the Denon to power the B1? I know its primary function is for an iPod/Memory Stick, but was wondering if it is powered when the 4311 is turned on to supply power to the B1 (and powered off when the 4311 is turned off). Also, the B1 has a Wolfson WM8524 DAC. Would you use the RCA to use the B1 dac or the digitial optical or coaxial to use the denon dac for processing? I would welcome any comments from anyone that has any advice or anyone who is currently using the B1 with their 4311.
post #24878 of 25133 Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb1051 View Post
I have purchased an SMSL B1 Bluetooth receiver to use with my Denon 4311. I will primarily be using the B1 to connect to an echo dot. Can I use the USB port on the back of the Denon to power the B1? I know its primary function is for an iPod/Memory Stick, but was wondering if it is powered when the 4311 is turned on to supply power to the B1 (and powered off when the 4311 is turned off). Also, the B1 has a Wolfson WM8524 DAC. Would you use the RCA to use the B1 dac or the digitial optical or coaxial to use the denon dac for processing? I would welcome any comments from anyone that has any advice or anyone who is currently using the B1 with their 4311.
Yes, you can use the USB port on the back of the 4311 to power USB devices provided the supplied current meets or exceeds the current requirements of the device you're plugging in to it. You will also need to make sure you are enabling the rear USB port and not the front as only one can be active at a time IIRC.
giomania likes this.
post #24879 of 25133 Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, you can use the USB port on the back of the 4311 to power USB devices provided the supplied current meets or exceeds the current requirements of the device you're plugging in to it. You will also need to make sure you are enabling the rear USB port and not the front as only one can be active at a time IIRC.
That is correct (1 at a time), but I believe they are fairly power limited. Definitely make sure the power requirements of the device versus the capabilities.
post #24880 of 25133 Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You are correct. I changed the HDMI connection to 2 and now the ARC function works--it's pretty cool.

The main reason I was looking at this was playing streaming movies (Prime, netflix, etc.) or USB and being able to get the audio through the receiver. That works great.

I love the functionality. ONE snafu I'm thinking I'm stuck with though. When I turn on ARC on the LG, there is a second setting (SIMPLICITY) which supports control of volume level using the TV remote when using the ARC function. So, the SNAFU?

When I turn on the TV, it sends a "turn on" signal to the receiver. Great. Then apparently, the receiver switches to "TV" input. Great, right? Well, the default should be the SAT/CBL. But, it switches to TV source. Okay, so I set up TV video source as "SAT/CBL". BUT, that's connected by HDMI, and apparently, the 4311 won't allow the video signal from HDMI to be the VIDEO source for the TV input. I think it would work if I use a component input for SAT/CBL as well as the HDMI, but this has drawbacks as well.

I was also thinking I might be able to do something by connecting both the monitor 1 input to HDMI 2 and the monitor 2 input on the 4311 to one of the other LG HDMI inputs. It's all kind of quirky. Ultimately, when I turn on the LG, I just have to reset the source to the the SAT/CBL input and all works fine.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #24881 of 25133 Old 05-23-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Well, I just factory reset my 4311ci and it's officially in its new home running my living room setup (replacing the 2106 that was there yesterday). Of course, this means I'm going to need a new processor for my HT whenever I get around to setting that up. Ugh, though, such a PITA (by no fault of the 4311ci, probably).

My TV in that room is old (still component) and I have the 4311ci running through an HDMI -> component converter. Previously, I just connected everything via component on the 2106 (no choice). I only used the converter for my XB1, which didn't do component. While this did cause the 2106 a lot of frustration (I could hear lots of relay clicks when the XB1 booted, lol), eventually a picture would come on. However, now the converter always hates life (handshakes take forever, my TV will blink back and forth between signal out of range, etc). Plus, my XB1 wouldn't even show on the screen at first (just a grey screen). But, I connected the XB1 directly to the converter again and for whatever reason that time it handshaked at 720p and I forced that resolution. This seems to work through the Denon now. It was working with 1080i before, but now it doesn't even show that as an option. Whatever.

Anyway -- my question is: Is there a way to make the Denon chose a resolution and force everything out at that res so maybe I can limit the handshakes with the component converter? I'm guessing it's the cause of my issues, I very rarely had problems when the 4311ci was used with my other HDMI TVs in the living room at my last house (at this new one, I get stuck with this crappy TV and all my good stuff is booted to the basement not set up, because WAF, lol ).

edit: Also, I presume the factory reset just wipes out settings (my goal, since it's in an entirely new setup) but does not downgrade firmware. Right now the unit has no network connection to check, and I don't remember what firmware it was at before. Is there anything the factory reset doesn't touch that I should manually reset?

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 05-23-2018 at 03:23 PM.
post #24882 of 25133 Old 05-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Ive tried googling this, but its a pain to find. I had a storm a while back that appeared to fry the HDMI ARC 1 and now a power outage seems to have fried my HDMI ARC 2 output. So I am completely out of service from watching anything. MY questions are, (I cant remember how) before I take it in for repair, I want to make sure that the settings are correct on the AVR for using the pass through HDMIs to my TV and projector. How do I set them up only using the AVR's display since I cant see my TV? What settings should each ARC out be on? Secondly, why is it that HDMI ports seem to blow at even the mention of a thunderstorm? Is there a way to completely protect it from that? I recent bought this protector (https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/) for my computer and wonder if its enough to prect the delicate HDMI ports on my Denon? Any thoughts? Thanks

One other thing I forgot to mention, after this last outage, I couldnt get anything to display, but finally my PS3 displayed that screen where it wants you to confirm that" you can see this" resolution settingfor HD. Everything worked great that evening. Fast forward a night later and nothing works. So Im wondering if the outage mightve affected the AVRs settings.

Last edited by Daffypuck; 05-26-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #24883 of 25133 Old 05-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffypuck View Post
Ive tried googling this, but its a pain to find. I had a storm a while back that appeared to fry the HDMI ARC 1 and now a power outage seems to have fried my HDMI ARC 2 output. So I am completely out of service from watching anything. MY questions are, (I cant remember how) before I take it in for repair, I want to make sure that the settings are correct on the AVR for using the pass through HDMIs to my TV and projector. How do I set them up only using the AVR's display since I cant see my TV? What settings should each ARC out be on? Secondly, why is it that HDMI ports seem to blow at even the mention of a thunderstorm? Is there a way to completely protect it from that? I recent bought this protector (https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/) for my computer and wonder if its enough to prect the delicate HDMI ports on my Denon? Any thoughts? Thanks

One other thing I forgot to mention, after this last outage, I couldnt get anything to display, but finally my PS3 displayed that screen where it wants you to confirm that" you can see this" resolution settingfor HD. Everything worked great that evening. Fast forward a night later and nothing works. So Im wondering if the outage mightve affected the AVRs settings.
<HDMI Audio Out> = TV (p. 98 Owner's manual)

Consider adding a surge protector to the AVR as well as a "whole house" surge protector which would be installed by an electrician for roughly $200-$300.
post #24884 of 25133 Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
<HDMI Audio Out> = TV (p. 98 Owner's manual)

Consider adding a surge protector to the AVR as well as a "whole house" surge protector which would be installed by an electrician for roughly $200-$300.
Yeh, I got a "Zerosurge" protector for my computer and PC speakers because i started having issues with my amp on the speakers. I just got them back from repair after the varistor kept blowing. Im going to do the same for all of my A/V gear as well.
post #24885 of 25133 Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM

Im at my wits end, so I guess Ill do a micro reset before taking in for repair and see if that resolves my issue. I know how to do that, but I was wondering if Batpigs "Denon to English" is still available. His site seems to be down and I just cant recall all the settings and what not that I had. Isnt there a way I can save my settings and then do a reset and then restore the settings?
post #24886 of 25133 Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Im at my wits end, so I guess Ill do a micro reset before taking in for repair and see if that resolves my issue. I know how to do that, but I was wondering if Batpigs "Denon to English" is still available. His site seems to be down and I just cant recall all the settings and what not that I had. Isnt there a way I can save my settings and then do a reset and then restore the settings?
The info is easy enough to find in your Owner's manual ....

Microprocesssor reset - p. 138

Web Control - SAVE/LOAD - p. 74

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.
post #24887 of 25133 Old 05-28-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The info is easy enough to find in your Owner's manual ....

Microprocesssor reset - p. 283

Web Control - SAVE/LOAD - p. 160
Which manual are you using? Mine only has around 140 pages.
Ive got the reset part down, just still looking for the HDMI out section.
post #24888 of 25133 Old 05-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Which manual are you using? Mine only has around 140 pages.
Ive got the reset part down, just still looking for the HDMI out section.
Oops! Pulled up the wrong manual. Edited the correct pages.
post #24889 of 25133 Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Been a LONG time since I was here. Glad to see JD and Batpig are still holding down the fort. My 4311 lost the right front channel about 3-4 years ago. I am pretty sure I tried to do a microprocessor reset. At any rate, I never got that channel working (even with external amps) so I replaced it with a X4100W that I have been using since with no issues. I did not try to search to see if anyone else has experienced this issue with the 4311 (let the beating begin!), but was curious anyway. Should I try to hook it up, perhaps in stereo, do (another) reset and see what happens? Failing that, what would you do with an otherwise functioning unit? Repair, sell, garbage?

FWIW, the 4311 replaced an Onkyo 805 which is still going strong in the living room. (I only mention because I saw some grumblings about the recent crop of Onkyo units.)

Any advice appreciated.
post #24890 of 25133 Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Been a LONG time since I was here. Glad to see JD and Batpig are still holding down the fort. My 4311 lost the right front channel about 3-4 years ago. I am pretty sure I tried to do a microprocessor reset. At any rate, I never got that channel working (even with external amps) so I replaced it with a X4100W that I have been using since with no issues. I did not try to search to see if anyone else has experienced this issue with the 4311 (let the beating begin!), but was curious anyway. Should I try to hook it up, perhaps in stereo, do (another) reset and see what happens? Failing that, what would you do with an otherwise functioning unit? Repair, sell, garbage?

FWIW, the 4311 replaced an Onkyo 805 which is still going strong in the living room. (I only mention because I saw some grumblings about the recent crop of Onkyo units.)

Any advice appreciated.
Doing a few microprocessor resets in a row would be your first option. If still no joy, you could use the AMP ASSIGN = 2CH Bi-Amp or Front B setting and use the 2nd set of speaker posts to power the FL/FR speakers.
post #24891 of 25133 Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doing a few microprocessor resets in a row would be your first option. If still no joy, you could use the AMP ASSIGN = 2CH Bi-Amp or Front B setting and use the 2nd set of speaker posts to power the FL/FR speakers.
Well, after 3 years of the 4311 sitting unplugged, I tried the microprocessor reset (twice, as recommended), hooked up a pair of speakers to FL and FR and ...IT WORKED! I thought for sure I tried that reset years ago, but oh well, it works now, so I guess it just took a 3 year rest. I intend to hook it up in the living room tomorrow and replace the 805, which is and has been a reliable work horse. Now it can get a well deserved rest like the 4311 did! LOL. Only speakers in living room are FL, FR, C and sub so other than some Audyssey fine tuning and some conveniences like NET/USB and onscreen display that actually works with HDMI (!), I don't expect a huge difference. I will need to program the remote and train the wife (again) however.
post #24892 of 25133 Old 06-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Oops! Pulled up the wrong manual. Edited the correct pages.
OK, I successfully saved my config file and did a reset, then re-loaded my settings. Still no picture. However, at one point while logged into the 4311 on my PC, I noticed under the info tab>HDMI that my monitor 2 was showing all of the resolutions supported etc as if it was outputting a signal. The monitor 1 said "NON." Now, both are showing the "NON" when in that tab. Im guessing thats letting me know that there is nothing being output by the 2 ARC/HDMI outputs on the 4311. Would that be an indication that I indeed have an issue with my HDMI outs? Or, perhaps is my 4311 for some reason not set up correctly to output via those ports? Can a surge change those settings randomly? Ive tried toggling between dual and each monitor respectively with no success via the LAN interface with the 4311. Im just trying to make damn sure that its an actual problem before I disconnect the 10,000 wires and take it in for service. I can hear audio from the source I have selected though. -Thanks
post #24893 of 25133 Old 06-24-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy to report that 4311 is back in service replacing the 805 in the living room. The 805 is MUCH larger and heavier than the 4311. Sound quality is better, I am sure due to the Audyssey X32. Much crisper and punchy. Thank you JD for getting me back running.
post #24894 of 25133 Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM

Since my HDMI monitor out ports are toast, cant I use the component out for my cable TV? I know some BD have some security thingee that only allows playback through an HDMI, but at least Id have my TV and AppleTv while I figue out what to replace it with. Also, will Digital Coax support 1080p?
post #24895 of 25133 Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Since my HDMI monitor out ports are toast, cant I use the component out for my cable TV? I know some BD have some security thingee that only allows playback through an HDMI, but at least Id have my TV and AppleTv while I figue out what to replace it with. Also, will Digital Coax support 1080p?
Sure. As long as the source is Component input.
post #24896 of 25133 Old 06-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Sure. As long as the source is Component input.
Oh, I cant keep my source the way it is as HDMI then output it to the TV through component?
post #24897 of 25133 Old 06-25-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, I cant keep my source the way it is as HDMI then output it to the TV through component?
Nope. You'll have to purchase a 3rd party HDMI --> Component converter.
post #24898 of 25133 Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: Back to where I was 4 years ago. FL (not FR as I remembered above) went out again. It is not completely out, but running test tones/Audessey results in speaker levels as follows:
FL +12
C -5
FR -4.5
S -5.5

1) Tried to save config before making changes....no joy.....kept saying Save Not Complete. Please try again......tried this with Explorer, Edge and Chrome.....many times....no save (Network Standby was ON)
2) Move FL/FR to FW binding posts, set Amp Assign to B.....same results with levels.
3) Did not try 2CH Biamp.
4) Did 5-6 processor resets.....no joy. Same results as above.

Worked great all day yesterday. Wife used all day and I noticed when I got home from work.....could tell it was not right as soon as I heard it. (Missing FL sound). Unit is warm, but not abnormally so. When first processor reset happened (and fixed the FL level issue) unit had been unplugged for 4 years.

4 years ago I tried using external amps, same result. I have 1000 watt amps here in the house, but would prefer not to hook them up to watch the news.

Is the FL signal toast? Is the heat causing this? I have deducted that this is not an amp (power) issue, but a preamp level signal issue with the FL channel. Will try some more resets, will unplug tonight and see what happens tomorrow, but I am not feeling confident.

Would a repair shop (there is one in Dallas I believe) be able to fix something like this? Would it be worth the time, money, trouble? Thanks again.
post #24899 of 25133 Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 226
@legierk - you may find that a new receiver may be your best bet going forward (depending on repair cost and down time to execute a repair)
post #24900 of 25133 Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
@legierk - you may find that a new receiver may be your best bet going forward (depending on repair cost and down time to execute a repair)
Thank for the reply. I concur with your advice. This is a secondary unit anyhow....up until now I have been using my older units in the living room, while the theater gets the new shiny stuff. At any rate, the Onkyo 805 has quirks also (subwoofer output works sometimes/OSD works sometimes) so I have been looking to replace the living room AVR. Been looking at the Pioneer VSX-LX102 or Onkyo TR-NX676. The Denon X4100w has been working great in the theater, and although there are units with more bells and whistles now, it does everything we need. Any advice in the price range of those I mentioned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , AVR-4311CI , Denon , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page