The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 831 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2506Likes

post #24901 of 25136 Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
...If still no joy, you could use the AMP ASSIGN = 2CH Bi-Amp or Front B setting and use the 2nd set of speaker posts to power the FL/FR speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Thank for the reply. I concur with your advice. This is a secondary unit anyhow....up until now I have been using my older units in the living room, while the theater gets the new shiny stuff. At any rate, the Onkyo 805 has quirks also (subwoofer output works sometimes/OSD works sometimes) so I have been looking to replace the living room AVR. Been looking at the Pioneer VSX-LX102 or Onkyo TR-NX676. The Denon X4100w has been working great in the theater, and although there are units with more bells and whistles now, it does everything we need. Any advice in the price range of those I mentioned?
Did you ever try jdsmoothie's advice above? In theory, it sounds like a potential solution to your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24902 of 25136 Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Did you ever try jdsmoothie's advice above? In theory, it sounds like a potential solution to your problem.
Yes I did. Produced the same result. This is why I came to the conclusion that the issue is somewhere in the preamp signal, and not power amp related. It even does it, as I've pointed out, with external amplifiers. The FL channel is just not happy. It is a great receiver, and I have found a place in Austin that will look at it, and I am debating whether or not to pursue that avenue. In the meantime, I have been looking at the Onkyo NR676 (?) as a replacement (I know it's way down the model line, but it's only for the living room.)
post #24903 of 25136 Old 06-30-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Took the 4311 to Pyramid Audio in Austin today. We will see what the issue is with the FL channel. For the one day it worked last week, it sounded great, and so much better than the Onkyo 805. I decided to see if it can be repaired instead of getting a new one (budget AVR for the living room). Even if it costs $200-300, I think it will be worth it. I do not use Atmos in the living room, BTW. Very mundane, wife friendly setup there. Will update when the 4311 is finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24904 of 25136 Old 06-30-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi guys, I've had a 4311 since new and am now running into problems. It's freezing periodically with changing inpiuts, outputs and trying to calibrate with Audyssey. Sometimes the remote works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the menu when pressed on the front of the receiver, sometimes it shows on the on screen display, sometimes not. It is bizarre. It sounds like I need to do a microprocessor reset. Do you recommend doing that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krister
post #24905 of 25136 Old 06-30-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
Hi guys, I've had a 4311 since new and am now running into problems. It's freezing periodically with changing inpiuts, outputs and trying to calibrate with Audyssey. Sometimes the remote works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the menu when pressed on the front of the receiver, sometimes it shows on the on screen display, sometimes not. It is bizarre. It sounds like I need to do a microprocessor reset. Do you recommend doing that?

Yes. By all means. Also, when it is "acting up", check to see how hot it is. My thinking is that these older units like ours only start acting crazy after years of heat cycles....just a hunch.
krholmberg likes this.
post #24906 of 25136 Old 07-01-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Yes. By all means. Also, when it is "acting up", check to see how hot it is. My thinking is that these older units like ours only start acting crazy after years of heat cycles....just a hunch.
yup. electronics follow the bathtub curve. they either crap out right away, or they last for quite awhile until certain parts either start to degrade or break. heat cycles, age, etc. things like capacitors and so on don’t last forever.

this is part of the reason i’m not a big fan of extended warrantees. if something survives its first hour or so of use, it is very likely to live until i’m ready to upgrade it anyway. ymmv, of course.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #24907 of 25136 Old 07-01-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Thank for the reply. I concur with your advice. This is a secondary unit anyhow....up until now I have been using my older units in the living room, while the theater gets the new shiny stuff. At any rate, the Onkyo 805 has quirks also (subwoofer output works sometimes/OSD works sometimes) so I have been looking to replace the living room AVR. Been looking at the Pioneer VSX-LX102 or Onkyo TR-NX676. The Denon X4100w has been working great in the theater, and although there are units with more bells and whistles now, it does everything we need. Any advice in the price range of those I mentioned?
To be honest, I've gone to separates. Yeah, it sounds better, but for your situation, you may be able to pick up a good used receiver on Audiogon.

I'm using my 4311 in my home office running 100% stereo - listening via Roon, which I control from an ancient iPad and audio signal sent to the 4311 with a Raspberry Pi.
post #24908 of 25136 Old 07-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any one else noticed that the latest iTunes update has created incompatibility with the Airplay chip set on board the 4311?

Extremely upsetting!

It means now you can’t stream directly to the 4311, its the most common feature I use in the unit... far out.

It a know issue with Denon. Not sure if a Apple fix is on the way?

Anyone heard anything at all about this?

Jim
post #24909 of 25136 Old 07-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any appreciable gain from running a 200w amp and placing the 4311 in pre mode? I would think the gain in audible sound might be 1-2dB, if even that. I hear so many testimonials of how it brings out the magic all of the sudden when doing it. I just dont buy it. My current setup is in a 1500cft room, so I wouldnt think an amp would really matter. My speakers are 98dB sens.
post #24910 of 25136 Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The reason for adding an amplifier is not for louder sound....it’s for clearer, more dynamic sound. Since you have more sensitive speakers, you may not notice a difference but with less efficient speakers, the difference is noticeable on dynamic music. Many more expensive systems fall into the less efficient category. My speakers are rated at 88db and. Can hear the difference between using the denon amps and using it as a preamp into a better quality amp.
post #24911 of 25136 Old 07-06-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
This. I started the last step in my audio evolution by adding an Emotiva 5-channel amp to my Denon 4311. Definite improvement in clarity.

I'm now running separates in my home theater (even better (much better)), and the 4311 is still working in my home office. But even there I'm not using its internal amps - I'm using 2 nice powered monitors that I'm feeding from the 4311's L/R outputs.
post #24912 of 25136 Old 07-08-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
The hard reset worked. Kind of a pain to customize everything again but I'm just glad it's working!

Krister
post #24913 of 25136 Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy No video on Samsung 4K TV when connected via PC

Hello Folks,

I have a strange issue with my Denon 4311CI.

I recently bought brand new Samsung 4K TV (8000 series).

When I connect my media server/Laptop via HDMI to receiver, there is no video at all. When i start the media server, I do see the BIOS/Startup screens etc. As soon as boots in to windows, the video disappears and TV shows message something like no signal from source. My XBox/Fire TV HD works fine with the receiver. I have tried connecting another laptop with same issue. I have tried changing to different resolution on media server/laptop without any luck.

If I connect PC directly to TV, it works fine. The minute I add receiver in between, there is no video.

Does anyone have any clue what could I be missing?

I have tried using different HDMI ports on receiver with same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Best
post #24914 of 25136 Old 07-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21884 Post(s)
Liked: 11863
Ensure the PC is set to a standard TV resolution (ie. 1080p). Also ensure the PC video card has the latest firmware update installed. Also try setting the "Video Mode" to MOVIE or GAME vs. AUTO.
post #24915 of 25136 Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been a LONG time since I was here. Glad to see JD and Batpig are still holding down the fort. My 4311 lost the right front channel about 3-4 years ago. I am pretty sure I tried to do a microprocessor reset. At any rate, I never got that channel working (even with external amps) so I replaced it with a X4100W that I have been using since with no issues. I did not try to search to see if anyone else has experienced this issue with the 4311 (let the beating begin!), but was curious anyway. Should I try to hook it up, perhaps in stereo, do (another) reset and see what happens? Failing that, what would you do with an otherwise functioning unit? Repair, sell, garbage?

FWIW, the 4311 replaced an Onkyo 805 which is still going strong in the living room. (I only mention because I saw some grumblings about the recent crop of Onkyo units.)

Any advice appreciated.
Can I reply to my own posts? LOL.

Got the 4311 back from the repair shop. They didn't do anything, because the front left channel never went out while they had it. They left it running with an oscilloscope connected to the outputs. Anyhow, really didn't represent real world use IMO. But they are nice and did what they could. Hooked it back up at the house, and the next morning presented the same problem. (Even with the pink noise test tone the FL channel is WAY down). Very disappointing, but I turned it off and on a few times, and it is back to normal. If it continues, I'll just go back to the Onkyo 805.

A new issue though. Got a new TV (TCL Roku). Using ARC. Finally got audio and video working after changing out HDMI cables three times. Anyhow, the audio is acting weird. When watching TV, and the signal is DD 5.1, and I change the mode to Stereo, it sounds like I have just disconnected the center speaker and surrounds. Never had an issue like this. Also when listening to Pandora (an app on the TV), in 2.0 PCM, the sound fluctuates in volume. Like it's going through an old Leslie speaker. Really strange. My thinking:

1) Most likely, I need a better HDMI cable. Have the ONLY 48G HDMI cable I could find on the interwebs on order.
2) Next possibility: My TV is really hokey. Didn't have this problem with an external Roku box with HDMI, of course, I wasn't using ARC with that setup either. I do have the TV set to output DD+/DTS.
3) Third could be: I have some setting in the 4311 jacked up. Tried changing auto surround, changing modes for each input, etc.

Maybe I should find the TCL forum and see what the other users are finding. I could disable ARC and just try the Toslink for a few to see if that clears it up, which would narrow it down to the HDMI cable. Any thoughts?
post #24916 of 25136 Old 07-25-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@legierk - Use ARC at your own risk. I've never gotten it to work perfectly, regardless of manufacturer. I think you'll find TOSLINK from your TV to work much better. (I still use Toslink from my TV to my "high end" separate processor when I use the LG TV's native Netflix/YouTube/etc internal app)

Have you swapped L/R speakers? Based on the bench test showing that the Denon was working as designed, I started to wonder if you're having a speaker problem. I'd swap speakers, and then swap speaker cables.
post #24917 of 25136 Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess I still don't know how to use multi quote...oh well....

Use ARC at your own risk. I've never gotten it to work perfectly, regardless of manufacturer. I think you'll find TOSLINK from your TV to work much better.

I agree with this.....I have a "48G" HDMI cable coming from Amazon (even though the final spec is not out yet AFAIK.) Maybe that will fix the audio issues, maybe not. In any event, going back to toslink may be the answer as it always worked flawlessly. I was just slowly trying to catch up to the times. (ARC is nice because my wife can use one remote to do everything, from volume/channels to turning on/off).

WRT the FL channel on the 4311, I have troubleshot till I'm blue, and it is not a cable or speaker issue. The problem comes and goes, which is frustrating. Been OK for a day or two now, so who knows?
post #24918 of 25136 Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Can i extract rear channels if the signal comes in as 5.1MultiCh in, thats what is read on the display. I do understand the signals been decoded already

If i can, how do i....

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #24919 of 25136 Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Can i extract rear channels if the signal comes in as 5.1MultiCh in, thats what is read on the display. I do understand the signals been decoded already

If i can, how do i....
Yes. Select "Multi In + Dolby PLIIx".
post #24920 of 25136 Old 08-11-2018, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

If i can, how do i....
Yes. Select "Multi In + Dolby PLIIx".
Where is that selection made ?

I went through the manual, i would use the “standard” button to toggle through my options ??
Do you think that once i select MultiCh+DolbyPLIIx, the Denon would remember and auto select that in the future when faced with MultiCh in........

Last edited by kgveteran; 08-11-2018 at 04:12 AM.
post #24921 of 25136 Old 08-11-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:

I went through the manual, i would use the “standard” button to toggle through my options ??
Do you think that once i select MultiCh+DolbyPLIIx, the Denon would remember and auto select that in the future when faced with MultiCh in........
Yes, AVR remembers the surround mode for a given source audio.
post #24922 of 25136 Old 08-11-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, AVR remembers the surround mode for a given source audio.
Ty

post #24923 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I have a receiver to TV wiring question

I am giving my old Denon 4311 to my neighbor

I have a question, something I have never tried or know if this will work

If I were to plug into the 4311 an old VCR using component and analog wiring, can the video and audio travel out of the receiver to the TV by way of the HDMI cable? Or how it goes into the receiver is the way it has to come out?

There are no speakers attached to the receiver. He uses only the TV speakers.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #24924 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't know what this V.C.R. thing is that you speak of, otherwise, I could be of assistance.
giomania likes this.
post #24925 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Depends on the receiver. My Yamaha will output analog inputs to HDMI but some of the lower models will not. Chances are he will have to use analog in/analog out but worth a try on the HDMI,
post #24926 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythechippy View Post
Any one else noticed that the latest iTunes update has created incompatibility with the Airplay chip set on board the 4311?
Extremely upsetting!
It means now you can’t stream directly to the 4311, its the most common feature I use in the unit... far out.
Anyone heard anything at all about this? Jim
Yep. Same thing just happened to me. I keep my 4311 on zero volume
all the time. I turned it off and when it came back on it installed a new
firmware. I can't find a software version. I reinstalled iTunes and same
problem. 4311 no longer compatible with airplay. I can still cast to device
but that isn't near as good.

Does anybody know how to roll back the software/firmware in this receiver?
I am going to head to the factory website and see what they say.
Time to see if newer models have the same problem. The 4311 is near
6500 quality. Among the first to do 11.1 surround audio. Big power supply.
post #24927 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Depends on the receiver. My Yamaha will output analog inputs to HDMI but some of the lower models will not. Chances are he will have to use analog in/analog out but worth a try on the HDMI,
Thanks for the info.

At least it can be done, depending on the receiver. I'll have to test it out

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #24928 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I don't know what this V.C.R. thing is that you speak of, otherwise, I could be of assistance.
In the good old days before Blu-ray, before DVD there was VCR using tape

giomania likes this.

Last edited by JimShaw; 08-15-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #24929 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythechippy View Post

Extremely upsetting!

Anyone heard anything at all about this?

Jim
No. Works fine for me with latest iTunes and 4311. Also works fine is airplay from iPhone/iPad to 4311. Nothing is broken.
post #24930 of 25136 Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I am giving my old Denon 4311 to my neighbor

I have a question, something I have never tried or know if this will work

If I were to plug into the 4311 an old VCR using component and analog wiring, can the video and audio travel out of the receiver to the TV by way of the HDMI cable? Or how it goes into the receiver is the way it has to come out?

There are no speakers attached to the receiver. He uses only the TV speakers.

Yes. It can upscale the terrible vcr composite video or s-video to 1080p if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , AVR-4311CI , Denon , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page