The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 839 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2507Likes

post #25141 of 25154 Old 07-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Just saw your reply. Like you were sending it to me. You like the 4400?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25142 of 25154 Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirlum View Post

I feared that was the reality that I was going to have to accept. Already upgraded main system to a 4400 last winter (primarily for 4K). Our second system was happier with the 4311 but has not been downgraded to an even older Onkyo.

If you are interested, I just retired a 4311. I have an Audyssey Pro license for it, as well as a Pro kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #25143 of 25154 Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How does the sound quality on Denon 4311 hold up compared to a 3-4 year old used low-midrange receiver? I just need 2.0 or 2.1 for film/TV/music in a small room, to power some Sonus Faber Toy Towers and maybe a sub i necessary,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25144 of 25154 Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
How does the sound quality on Denon 4311 hold up compared to a 3-4 year old used low-midrange receiver? I just need 2.0 or 2.1 for film/TV/music in a small room, to power some Sonus Faber Toy Towers and maybe a sub i necessary,
Much better inmo.
post #25145 of 25154 Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22883 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
As a former "flagship" model that uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32, it should still compare quite well, especially to non-XT32 models if using Audyssey.
post #25146 of 25154 Old 11-16-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zone 2 & 3 suddenly silent

Today, I had zone 3 on for music in the backyard. When I came inside, I turned off zone 3 and attempted to turn on zone 2. I heard nothing. I then tested zone 3 again. Nothing. Unless I'm missing something simple, it seems that I lost the amps for zone 2 & 3.

I can't remember when I bought this receiver, but it was my first multi zone AV receiver. It has served me well over the years.

I did use a small speaker to test the terminals right on the back of the receiver. I confirmed that both zone 2 & 3 were on, but I got nothing from the terminals.

Anyone have any further troubleshooting suggestions or does it sound like I need to find a repair shop? I'm not quite ready to replace this receiver unless the repairs are cost prohibitive!

Thanks, Steve
post #25147 of 25154 Old 11-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson317 View Post
Today, I had zone 3 on for music in the backyard. When I came inside, I turned off zone 3 and attempted to turn on zone 2. I heard nothing. I then tested zone 3 again. Nothing. Unless I'm missing something simple, it seems that I lost the amps for zone 2 & 3.

I can't remember when I bought this receiver, but it was my first multi zone AV receiver. It has served me well over the years.

I did use a small speaker to test the terminals right on the back of the receiver. I confirmed that both zone 2 & 3 were on, but I got nothing from the terminals.

Anyone have any further troubleshooting suggestions or does it sound like I need to find a repair shop? I'm not quite ready to replace this receiver unless the repairs are cost prohibitive!

Thanks, Steve
Good news! I vaguely remembered that there is a reset procedure. I found it on page 138 of the PDF manual! YAY! The reset restored audio back to zone 2 & 3. I just had to reassign the amps and rename the zones.

Thanks, Steve
post #25148 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I'm having some CEC issues between my 4311 and my Samsung Q90, so cross-posting here in case anyone has any suggestions. I just bought a Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player. Since the 4311 can't handle 4k/HDR, I made sure to buy a player with dual HDMI outputs so I could run the video straight to the TV, and audio to the AVR. But CEC is getting in the way. If I set the TV's input to the Blu-ray player, it automatically sets the AVR's input to to the TV for ARC. If I set the AVR back to the proper audio input for the blu-ray playter, the TV automatically switches to the input from the AVR. It seems IMPOSSIBLE to individually choose an audio source for the AVR and a video source for the TV unless I go in to the settings in the TV and disable Anynet AND go into the settings on the AVR and turn off HDMI control. But if I do that, neither the TV nor the receiver allow me to use ARC to get audio from the TV back to the AVR. The vast majority of our watching is sourced from the TV (broadcast or streaming via the TV), so I need audio returned to the AVR most of the time. I suppose an alternative is to use a separate digital audio connection back to the AVR, though I don't have a spare optical input. Perhaps I could juggle some things, but even if I did that, I'd be giving up higher audio formats from Netflix, etc. Is my only other option going into the set-up menus for both the AVR and TV and disabling CEC every time I want to watch a blu-ray, then going back in and re-enabling it when I'm done?!?

Has anyone else run in to this and have a work-around?
post #25149 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I'm having some CEC issues between my 4311 and my Samsung Q90, so cross-posting here in case anyone has any suggestions. I just bought a Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player. Since the 4311 can't handle 4k/HDR, I made sure to buy a player with dual HDMI outputs so I could run the video straight to the TV, and audio to the AVR. But CEC is getting in the way. If I set the TV's input to the Blu-ray player, it automatically sets the AVR's input to to the TV for ARC. If I set the AVR back to the proper audio input for the blu-ray playter, the TV automatically switches to the input from the AVR. It seems IMPOSSIBLE to individually choose an audio source for the AVR and a video source for the TV unless I go in to the settings in the TV and disable Anynet AND go into the settings on the AVR and turn off HDMI control. But if I do that, neither the TV nor the receiver allow me to use ARC to get audio from the TV back to the AVR. The vast majority of our watching is sourced from the TV (broadcast or streaming via the TV), so I need audio returned to the AVR most of the time. I suppose an alternative is to use a separate digital audio connection back to the AVR, though I don't have a spare optical input. Perhaps I could juggle some things, but even if I did that, I'd be giving up higher audio formats from Netflix, etc. Is my only other option going into the set-up menus for both the AVR and TV and disabling CEC every time I want to watch a blu-ray, then going back in and re-enabling it when I'm done?!?

Has anyone else run in to this and have a work-around?
Have you tried just using one HDMI from the UHD player to the TV? I have a similar setup as you, but instead of the Samsung and Panasonic, I have a Sony TV and LG UHD player. I have the LG connected directly to the TV then use ARC to send the audio back to the 4311. I also have other UHD devices connected directly to the TV and use ARC for all those as well. When I turn on the devices the TV will automatically change inputs and the 4311 input remains on TV for the audio. If I turn off the 4311 then the TV will automatically switch to the internal speakers.
post #25150 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Have you tried just using one HDMI from the UHD player to the TV?
Thanks for the reply. No, I'm sure that would solve the switching issue, but the whole point was maintaining full quality. Since neither the Q90 nor the 4311 support eARC, it can't pass the full quality uncompressed multi-channel audio streams via ARC. It would have to use something lower. There have been rumors that the Q90 would receive an eARC update, but even if it does, I doubt the 4311 will, considering it's age.
post #25151 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. No, I'm sure that would solve the switching issue, but the whole point was maintaining full quality. Since neither the Q90 nor the 4311 support eARC, it can't pass the full quality uncompressed multi-channel audio streams via ARC. It would have to use something lower. There have been rumors that the Q90 would receive an eARC update, but even if it does, I doubt the 4311 will, considering it's age.
In that case, get a programmable remote and ditch ARC altogether. ARC is working as designed in your case. ARC has no way of knowing that you're splitting the signals to two different devices. As far as I know, the only way to do what you want is manually set the inputs. The other option would be to get a new AVR that does 4K passthrough.
post #25152 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
In that case, get a programmable remote and ditch ARC altogether.
Yeah, I have one, the problem is I can't find a way to disable the auto-switching part of CEC while keeping ARC. Most of our viewing is TV content... OTA, streaming apps in the TV, etc., and the only way to get that audio back to the receiver at the best quality possible (keeping DD+, etc.) is via ARC. It just boggles my mind that higher end products don't consider that you might be using programmable remotes or other external control components, and maybe don't want HDMI making my switching decisions.
post #25153 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I have one, the problem is I can't find a way to disable the auto-switching part of CEC while keeping ARC. Most of our viewing is TV content... OTA, streaming apps in the TV, etc., and the only way to get that audio back to the receiver at the best quality possible (keeping DD+, etc.) is via ARC. It just boggles my mind that higher end products don't consider that you might be using programmable remotes or other external control components, and maybe don't want HDMI making my switching decisions.
The 4311 has assignable 2 optical and 2 coax digital inputs. Can any of your other devices be switched to the coax or analog RCA inputs? That would free up one of the optical inputs for the TV. Then you can disable ARC and use the remote for turning on your devices and switching to the proper inputs.

If not, you can get an optical splitter box like this one. Just make sure only one source device is on at a time.
post #25154 of 25154 Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right, as I mentioned, that is an option, though I'd then lose out on higher audio formats from the TV, like DD+ in Netflix. I was hoping there was some trick to keep the receiving from changing inputs via CEC, but it sounds like there isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , AVR-4311CI , Denon , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page