Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #2581 of 2605 Old 07-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zone 2 Questions

I hadn't used my outdoor (zone 2) speakers for awhile as the ancient speakers finally gave up the ghost. So I hung and connected another pair, but I don't get any sound and I want to check that I've set it up properly:
  • Zone 2 Setting Powered "On"
  • Separate Power Amp
  • Zone 2 Source (tried HDMI-connected DISH and HDMI-connected BluRay and tried the setting "Source")
  • Checked headphone outlet - nothing
  • Checked different speaker pair output with a small speaker right at the amp, no sound

What am I doing wrong, since I figure it's something?

Related question - Does setting Zone 2 to Powered on disable 7.2 in my main room?

Unrelated - I've given up on that Sirius issue. I just listen through the Dish Sirius channels. But that lack of a software update has totally soured me on Onkyo and its related companies. Never again...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2605 Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
post #2583 of 2605 Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.m650 View Post
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll have to find that output level control. And I do have 7.1 along with an amp for Zone 2, so "off" it will go.

What's weird is that I thought I remembered that all sources did play to Zone 2, not just analog. Other than vinyl, what would be analog - FM tuner? Most others are via HDMI (Dish, BluRay, AppleTV). If I connect RCA cables, will I have to change input details whenever I want to hear that? That would be a pain. I do have plenty of those cables, all high-quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2605 Old 08-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Best Listening Mode for TV/Movie Stereo/Mono Sources

I have a HT with a 7.2 (surround back) speaker layout and a Onkyo TX-NR709. This receiver has the following listening modes:

Dolby Pro Logic II
  • Movie
  • Music
  • Game
Dolby Pro Logic IIx
  • Movie
  • Music
  • Game
Neo:6
  • Neo:6
  • Neo:6 Cinema
  • Neo:6 Music
Audyssey DSX
  • Audyssey DSX
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Movie
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Music
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Games
THX
  • Cinema
  • Music
  • Games
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Movie
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Music
  • THX Games + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Games
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Games + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Cinema + Neo:6 Cinema
  • THX Music + Neo:6 Music
  • THX Cinema + Neo:6
  • THX Music + Neo:6
  • THX Games + Neo:6
  • THX Select2 Cinema
  • THX Select2 Music
  • THX Select2 Games
  • THX Surround EX
  • THX Select2 Games + Dolby Pro Logic II Game
The selection of listening modes is overwhelming.
My question is what listening mode would you all recommend for MONO and STEREO (2.0) movie and TV input sources.

Thanks,

Scott
post #2585 of 2605 Old 08-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They all sucks. For 2ch music use stereo or pure audio. For 2ch video use neo 6 but for best results upgrade your receiver to get the newer dolby surround and dts natural x. I just replaced my old Onkyo nr809 with Yamaha A2070 What a difference!!! Surround modes sre much more useful than the THX crap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
post #2586 of 2605 Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
They all sucks. For 2ch music use stereo or pure audio. For 2ch video use neo 6 but for best results upgrade your receiver to get the newer dolby surround and dts natural x. I just replaced my old Onkyo nr809 with Yamaha A2070 What a difference!!! Surround modes sre much more useful than the THX crap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
I happen to be getting a Yamaha A2070 tomorrow. Going from a Onkyo TR-707. Not familiar with the Yamaha, so I am curious. What settings do you use for watching TV newscasts. Also, what settings do you find best for watching baseball, football, etc.?

With the Onkyo, for movies I preferred Audyssey DSX
Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Movie

Thanks,

Hugh
post #2587 of 2605 Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 574
The best mode is found by experimentation. What sounds good to me may sound absolutely awful to you.

For upmixers, there is no absolute best. Some work great for some content, but are awful for others.

That said, for multichannel content, I use straight (no additional processing). For 2ch content, I try them all to see which one sounds best to me. Heck, maybe my mood determines which one I like best - today it's one setting, tomorrow it's another. They're free to use so there is no harm in trying them all.
post #2588 of 2605 Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709

​Thanks for the listening mode recommendations.
EB1000 makes a good point about upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709.
Does anyone else have an upgrade suggestion to a receiver that has similar specs and features?
Since I have a 7.2 speaker layout I would like to go with a receiver that can support a 7.2.2 layout.
Also, I didn't buy the TX-NR709 because it was THX certified but would also like any thoughts on THX certified receivers in general.
Thanks,
Scott
post #2589 of 2605 Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
​Thanks for the listening mode recommendations.
EB1000 makes a good point about upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709.
Does anyone else have an upgrade suggestion to a receiver that has similar specs and features?
Since I have a 7.2 speaker layout I would like to go with a receiver that can support a 7.2.2 layout.
Also, I didn't buy the TX-NR709 because it was THX certified but would also like any thoughts on THX certified receivers in general.
Thanks,
Scott
I wouldn't seek out a receiver that had THX or ISF anything, personally.
When looking to upgrade, I feel the Room Correction to be pretty important. XT32 for Audyssey, or look at Arcam with Dirac, or Anthem ARC.
It sounds like you are looking to protect for 2 extra immersive channels too....but it may be wise to protect for 11 if your room suits (newest receivers only).

With the 709, I would use the Dolby Pro Logic (Movie) pretty much for movies, and try the THX variant for more "open" sound - if the Movie suits this.
As others have said, Stereo for Music (as Pure disables room correction) IMO.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #2590 of 2605 Old 08-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
for those that use the 709 to pass through 4k signals - how well does it work? I assume it won't pass through HDR / DV signals? I currently have all of my sources going directly to my 4k display, but to reduce clutter and cable congestion I am considering running everything through my 709 and then to my display. Thoughts?
kzookid likes this.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, , PS4, XBox360, Wii, FiOS

Den: Sony XBR-65X900E, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, FiOS, AppleTV v3
post #2591 of 2605 Old 12-21-2017, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've an Onkyo NR709 that may be upgraded to RZ920 and a Bluetooth streamer for Oticon hearing aids called TV Adapter 3.0. In order for me to use this TV Adapter 3.0, one of following audio inputs options must be used: TOSLINK In (optical input), TOSLINK out (optical output), RCA composite.

(Page 9 of this TV Adapter manual has more details: https://www.oticon.com/-/media/otico...-adapter-3.pdf)

I do not see an optical out available on the NR709 or the RZ920. I can only connect to my TV Adapter via my Samsung TV, which has an optical out port. However, I have to turn on the TV audio option in the Onkyo settings, but doing so will disable 7.2 channel surround sound and enable only two-channel stereo.

Is there a way to connect my receiver to the TV Adapter with surround sound together?
post #2592 of 2605 Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM

RMA Billing Process for NR709?

How does Onkyo billing process work for an RMA for the Onkyo NR709? Due to the faulty HDMI board, I received a promotional code to get a replacement receiver (RZ920) and I ordered it. I also sent the serial number label of the NR709 to Onkyo via certified mail as per their RMA directions. I assumed that when they received this label via certified mail, Onkyo would remove all billed charges. Is this correct?

I am concerned that these billed charges are permanent and not refunded. Any thoughts on this process would be greatly appreciated.
post #2593 of 2605 Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM

Question Onkyo TX-NR709 Heat Question!

Morning all!

So I made yet another great find at my local Goodwill!

Found an Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2 Network A/V Receiver. Came with USB network adaptor, Audyssey mic, and remote!
Was in flawless condition, cosmetically speaking. only paid 50 bucks!

Went home, hooked it up to my current surround sound setup. (replaces a much older, Onkyo HT-S760 HTIB receiver)
It sounded fantastic! I really didn't realize how much of a difference the lossless formats could make.

everything seems to work just fine, no problems to speak of at this moment. and id like to keep it that way as long as possible.
That brings me to my question.

This receiver gets noticeably hotter than my last one. Almost night and day, actually.
I have it sitting on an open shelf beneath the TV, no enclosed spaces, not surrounded by any other electronics other than the TV above.
I also have a PC fan blowing air over the hottest spot of the enclosure. (blowing air in from the top).

Would replacing the thermal compound on the transistors/heatsink assembly be a beneficial "preventative measure"? It wouldn't take me long to accomplish; I have experience working with electronics, and all the proper static safety equipment needed. I was just curious as to what some of the fine people on this forum thought about it!

Thanks!
- Brian
post #2594 of 2605 Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Not totally sure yet. But I believe that I may have the Onkyo extended warranty attached to this unit (part of a recall/warranty extension of some sort) Will check tonight. if that's the case. ill leave it alone until that ends.

Regardless, if anyone has an opinion on the matter, please feel free to respond! id love any input!
post #2595 of 2605 Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hey you might want to check this out for more info https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html

Spoiler!
post #2596 of 2605 Old 07-29-2018, 08:40 PM

I own a Onkyo TX-NR709 that has been operating great ever since Onkyo performed the HDMI repair plus something else that I had to pay an extra amount for (just under $100) in 2015 I believe (unit had no video or Audio @ that time).
Anyway new problem is raising it's ugly head, Video and all Audio is great with the exception of the "Left Surround Speaker Output" = No sound other than an intermittent "Crackle" from said speaker.
I have ruled out the speaker and wiring to it = the problem is internal.
All of the Speaker "Matrix" icons are displayed properly on the unit.

other than a possible "Cold Solder Joint"?

can anyone of this forum think of anything else likely to be the cause?

any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Randy
post #2597 of 2605 Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow - Sounds like I had been lucky... until recently. Didn't know about the HDMI issue as mine was fine until about the same time I got a new remote and I would loose sound every time I changed inputs. I often have to turn the receiver off, and then back on again to get sound when switching between devices. sound like this is covered in the warranty.

The offer to send in my old one in return for a "special price" for a newer model (TX-NR787) seems ridiculous as the price is only about $50 less than what it would cost on many online sellers.

The other option, if I'm reading it correctly, says I send in the serial #, and can get $200 off of the same or other newer models as long as they are from an authorized dealer, AND keep the old (sometimes working) model. Is this correct? Have other people done this, and is the NR787 a safe enough buy to give them another $450?

It also seems that if I do this and send in the UPCs as required, if something happened to the new unit, I'd be screwed.

------------------------------------

Mail-In Rebate Program is easy as outlined below.

• Return the Serial Number Label of your qualifying unit.
  • After requirements are verified, Onkyo will send the Mail-In Rebate check to the address provided on the Mail-In Rebate Form.
  • This offer is valid for a selected brand new Onkyo receiver purchased from August 19, 2014 through Dec 31,2018 from an Independent Authorized Onkyo Dealer or shoponkyo.com.
  • The Following items MUST be returned to the Special Program Repair Center by using pre-paid shipping labels.
(1) Your Onkyo receiver Serial Number Label (located on the back of your unit) exhibiting loss of audio or network connection
(2) Original Purchase Receipt of the qualifiying Onkyo Receiver you purchased from August 19, 2014 through Dec 31,2018.
(3) TWO (2) BAR CODE LABELS from the qualifiying Onkyo Receiver you purchased from August 19, 2014 through Dec 31,2018.
Two Entire original white bar code label cut from the box (two sides)
Photocopies will not be accepted
Bar code label must include the serial number bar code and UPC bar code
Ensure the product is listed in the prior section
All required bar code labels are located on the white sticker on the box. *
* Note: Equipment cannot be returned to the Independent Authorized Onkyo Dealer or shoponkyo.com if bar code labels are cut from the box.
(4) The original Mail-In Rebate Form sent from Onkyo
  • Mail-in rebate form must be postmarked within 30 days of purchase of a new Onkyo Receiver
  • Failure to send all required information may invalidate your rebate.
  • Make a photocopy of all submitted materials for your records.

Onkyo TX NR709 receiver | Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 main with CMT-170 surrounds | HSU VTF-3 MK3 Sub | Mitsubishi WD-82838 DLP
post #2598 of 2605 Old 10-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltDoc View Post
The offer to send in my old one in return for a "special price" for a newer model (TX-NR787) seems ridiculous as the price is only about $50 less than what it would cost on many online sellers.
The other option, if I'm reading it correctly, says I send in the serial #, and can get $200 off of the same or other newer models as long as they are from an authorized dealer, AND keep the old (sometimes working) model. Is this correct? Have other people done this, and is the NR787 a safe enough buy to give them another $450?

It also seems that if I do this and send in the UPCs as required, if something happened to the new unit, I'd be screwed.

I'm poking my head back into this forum after *years* away. I've been enjoying my 709 until last year when *all audio* quit. I took no action, just left it sitting, used the TV speakers... but I'm gone a bunch and don't watch much, anyway. Two days ago i decided to delve into the issue after ignoring it for over a year. i read and learned of the issue and the Offer.
I believe that you read the offer correctly, at least that's the understanding I have of the first two points. Option 1. get a credit off their short list (2 receivers) from their Onkyo store.
Option 2. Buy a *NEW* (not refurb or used) unit {selecting from a very long list} from any authorized seller, follow the instructions, get a rebate of 200 bucks.

Option 2 is exactly what I am doing. I have ordered a TX-RZ820 from Amazon (sold by Huppins) and it will be here tomorrow. The RZ820 looks lik the best deal, I thought, currently on sale for 600 through various dealers. The rebate means that for 400 bucks I'll have my theater back up, and a bunch more features to boot.

The third topic, I think you may have wrong. I don't believe that you lose warranty on the new unit. (That wouldn't make any sense because you ARE *buying* it ~yes, you're getting a discount, but it's not like they are giving it to you free~)

To do the deal, you take the serial# sticker off of your *OLD* machine (the 709) then you cut the bar code labels from the *BOX* that the new machine was in. NOT from the new receiver, only from its BOX.
Send those in, get a check.
At least that's how I read it.
Your new receiver is perfectly intact and has a 3-yr warranty. The significance of the box cutting is to 1. provide proof that you bought a new qualifying Onkyo product 2. provides the serial number of the new unit 3. serves to deter returning the new unit, getting a cash refund and pocketing the rebate check as profit or a buy-out. 4. it's all about offering something to make up for the failed unit AND to promote the purchase of more Onkyo (a buy-in)

EDIT to add: Looking back through my posts in this forum I found that I bought the NR709 Christmas 2011 as an upgrade to my TX-SR674. I've had this machine for SEVEN YEARS, and Onkyo is STILL providing support in the form of a check... for a problem that didn't affect mine until THREE YEARS beyond the three Year warranty! Try that with a Sony or Yamaha...

Last edited by masstch; 10-04-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #2599 of 2605 Old 10-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info - that TX-RZ820 does look like a sweet deal. its an inch taller than my current receiver so will need to make sure if will fit on my current shelf but think i'll go that way too.

I overall have been happy with my NR709, and STILL use an older ONKYO-TX-SR500 in my family room set up to drive a couple of outdoor speakers, and my first Polk set up from circa 2003 using an original Sonos ZP80

Onkyo TX NR709 receiver | Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 main with CMT-170 surrounds | HSU VTF-3 MK3 Sub | Mitsubishi WD-82838 DLP
post #2600 of 2605 Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltDoc View Post
I overall have been happy with my NR709, and STILL use an older ONKYO-TX-SR500 in my family room set up to drive a couple of outdoor speakers, and my first Polk set up from circa 2003 using an original Sonos ZP80

Yeah, I still have my sr674 on a shelf. Actually, the only reason I moved to the 709 was to gain more HDMI inputs to switch. The old 674 actually has some cool up-scaling features that the newer machines lost.
I got my RZ820 hooked up last night. Holy cow, it was golden to hear the old Choruses at full song! So far, I've not done the autoEQ setup (too loud after bedtime) but the unit was as 'plug-n-play ' as could be hoped for. With 6 rear HDMIs and each one labeled with its 'default' designation, I just plugged Blueray to 'BD/DVD', the PS4 to 'game' etc. and almost everything works right out of the box. I've still got to take care of assigning the Optical and the component feed for a HD DVDR and a tweak here or there, but this was by far the simplest receiver hook-up ever.
I've been thinking real hard about the 830 or the 920 just to get the other two channels, but I really can't justify the money for them.
My set up is two mains (Choruses) two rear in-walls, two 'high rears' and a center plus a 10" sub (all Klipsch) This is a 7.1 if I use it for Dolby Atmos, the high rears become the 'height' speakers and thus it is an Atmos 5.1.2 set up. I really should move the high rears to the center ceiling for that, though.

The 820 supports perfectly Awesome Atmos.
The upgrade to the 9-channel would allow TWO PAIR of ceiling speakers instead of one.

The 830 supports perfectly Awesome Atmos effects (plus more ceiling speakers)

I don't know how to 'value' that difference, except to say that the price diff of the equipment PLUS another pair of ceiling speakers would be about a grand; that was too much math for my pocketbook at this time.
SaltDoc likes this.
post #2601 of 2605 Old 10-21-2018, 11:41 AM

So I ended up upgrading to the TX-RZ720 and am very happy with it so far. Would have done the 820, but didn't really need the extra power (though I wanted it) and it was too big for my shelf. pretty cheap on amazon right now too. If you are going for the rebate option, it is very reasonable.

post #2602 of 2605 Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo TX-NR709 - Only Gets HDMI through AUX

Good Day all,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR709 that i have never had any issues with. Last night, I went to plug in a new Android box replacing an older WD Live TV, and no matter what i did, i could not get this android box to work through ANY of the rear HDMI's. I thought i should have been able to plug and play from the existing HDMI that i had the WD plugged into. I went through all the settings, made many changes, but to no avail. It will only work through the front AUX HDMI. Is there something special about this port? I even switched the setting in the android box from AUTO and set it to 1080/24 so that it would match the receiver settings as i had read this was a known issue, but still only worked through the front AUX. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
post #2603 of 2605 Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
After years of great service I think my 709 is going bad. Several times this week when I turn it on no picture comes on the TV. The TV will show no signal. I have my Dish Hopper along with my Bluray player all going into the 709 via HDMI and then output to the Sony TV. It will work if I do a hard reboot of the 709. I installed new HDMI cables less than a year ago.

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #2604 of 2605 Old 03-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
After years of great service I think my 709 is going bad. Several times this week when I turn it on no picture comes on the TV. The TV will show no signal. I have my Dish Hopper along with my Bluray player all going into the 709 via HDMI and then output to the Sony TV. It will work if I do a hard reboot of the 709. I installed new HDMI cables less than a year ago.
My bad, I posted in the wrong thread should have been Onkyo Tx-Ds 797(B).
post #2605 of 2605 Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Separate Audio and Video Inputs?

We would like to listen to music from our Audio chromecast (TV/CD input) while playing the Wii (Game input). Is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page