"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #6061 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbusby View Post
Bought it December of 2010 with a two year extended warranty. Failed with no audio May of this year. An authorized service center is about four miles from my house so I just drove it over. Took a little over two months to get it serviced (first board they got in was defective and they had to order another one). So far, so good.
Waiting for over 2-months is crazy !!! WTH is wrong with Onkyo ? They should have a new stock pile of HDMI boards by now and fully tested. Do they not realize what a pain in the a** it causes with a bad HDMI board ? Go over your unit with a fine tooth comb and double check everything.
luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, the HDMI board on my 809 was replaced about 5 months ago. It was six months after the warranty expired, but, Onkyo still fixed it for free. I didn't even have to pay the shipping. It has been working great ever since, and I use it every day. This same thing happened to me when I had a Sony STR-DG1000. About a month after the warranty expired, the HDMI board went out. I would unplug the HDMI cable, plug it back in and all was well, but, that was only temporary as a little later it went out completely. I called Sony, told them about the problem, and that I was only one month out of warranty. Sony said, without the warranty, we can't do anything for you, and nothing I said could change their mind. So, I still have to hand it to Onkyo, for standing tall and working with people who's warranty's have expired. Having units out of warranty repaired, where as Sony simply says SCREW YOU and please buy another Sony !
post #6063 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
Well, the HDMI board on my 809 was replaced about 5 months ago. It was six months after the warranty expired, but, Onkyo still fixed it for free. I didn't even have to pay the shipping. It has been working great ever since, and I use it every day. This same thing happened to me when I had a Sony STR-DG1000. About a month after the warranty expired, the HDMI board went out. I would unplug the HDMI cable, plug it back in and all was well, but, that was only temporary as a little later it went out completely. I called Sony, told them about the problem, and that I was only one month out of warranty. Sony said, without the warranty, we can't do anything for you, and nothing I said could change their mind. So, I still have to hand it to Onkyo, for standing tall and working with people who's warranty's have expired. Having units out of warranty repaired, where as Sony simply says SCREW YOU and please buy another Sony !
I understand what you are saying and I'm glad Onkyo is stepping up to the plate to help folks that are indeed way out warranty period. However I don't know of any other big hitters Denon, Sony, Marantz and others that have had such a wide spread massive HDMI board failure. I could be wrong but ONKYO appears to be at the top of the list. So I would expect them to do something to help make it right for consumers who have spent a pretty good dime for these 809's and the likes. !!
I'm still waiting on my 809 to fail and I keep asking will or will it not !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

That is because the Sony's do not have the same wide spread HDMI issue...if they did then the same service would be provided that Onkyo is doing.

I had a MS Surface pro that failed 12 hours after warranty expired and then tried to sell me a refurb for $349, I said F' that. So sony is not the only company that does this.

The Free repair is just a massive recall, they do not want to call it that just to look good...but we all know what it is....put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig.

and now back to our scheduled program of who's Onkyo will fail next
post #6065 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
That is because the Sony's do not have the same wide spread HDMI issue...if they did then the same service would be provided that Onkyo is doing.

I had a MS Surface pro that failed 12 hours after warranty expired and then tried to sell me a refurb for $349, I said F' that. So sony is not the only company that does this.

The Free repair is just a massive recall, they do not want to call it that just to look good...but we all know what it is....put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig.

and now back to our scheduled program of who's Onkyo will fail next

Are you that familiar with the Sony STR-DG1000, have you had any actual experience with that specific model ? There were many other DG1000 units that were having HDMI problems. I think that you just love to HATE on Onkyo, lol.
post #6066 of 6669 Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Are you that familiar with the Sony STR-DG1000, have you had any actual experience with that specific model ? There were many other DG1000 units that were having HDMI problems. I think that you just love to HATE on Onkyo, lol.
Between my dad and I we have had Onkyo's for the last 21 years....But they have cost me a lot of money since the HDMI issues crept up.

Love their products when they work, but hate when they all fail on me.
post #6067 of 6669 Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post
Everything submitted. They are sending a pre-paid shipping box and a repair authorization. Seems like they are really on top of this now.
Received my box today... Will ship it out and see what happens and how long it takes.
post #6068 of 6669 Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
The Free repair is just a massive recall, they do not want to call it that just to look good
I understand what you are trying to say, though I don't think that concept applies to this issue.
Quote:
A product recall is a request to return a product after the discovery of safety issues or product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk of legal action.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall
Where's the danger to consumer safety? If you can think of any product that has ever had a "recall", voluntary or not, where safety was not the reason, please feel free to post it. No, Onkyo is simply extending their warranty to consumers who's product have failed, recognizing that plenty/most of these processor boards will fail prematurely. IANAL but since they have adopted this policy, they would appear to have minimized their risk for a class action suit because they have afforded all affected customers a fix. Granted, they could be more transparent as many stories here outline but nonetheless, they are standing behind their product and I have not heard one story of any safety issue involved.
EManT2200 likes this.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
post #6069 of 6669 Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Received my box today... Will ship it out and see what happens and how long it takes.
Keep us posted on the status and good luck !!
post #6070 of 6669 Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Keep us posted on the status and good luck !!
Received my box yesterday as well... Shipped out this am so I'll report back here as well regarding turnaround. Thanks to everyone on this thread that has lent assistance!!

To Infinity and Beyond!!!
post #6071 of 6669 Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy_Haynes View Post
Received my box yesterday as well... Shipped out this am so I'll report back here as well regarding turnaround. Thanks to everyone on this thread that has lent assistance!!
OK Cool !!
Keep us posted on the status of yours as well. It is nice for folks to help when and where one can.
Good luck with your 809.
post #6072 of 6669 Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
I understand what you are trying to say, though I don't think that concept applies to this issue.

Where's the danger to consumer safety? If you can think of any product that has ever had a "recall", voluntary or not, where safety was not the reason, please feel free to post it. No, Onkyo is simply extending their warranty to consumers who's product have failed, recognizing that plenty/most of these processor boards will fail prematurely. IANAL but since they have adopted this policy, they would appear to have minimized their risk for a class action suit because they have afforded all affected customers a fix. Granted, they could be more transparent as many stories here outline but nonetheless, they are standing behind their product and I have not heard one story of any safety issue involved.

Agreed !
post #6073 of 6669 Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another one bites the dust

Just had my TX-NR809 lose sound last night. Bought 12/24/2012. Failed 1 year, 7 months later. It's good to be among friends.

Have e-mailed Jose to start my quest. Oh joy.

Would like to see if Amazon will outright refund so I can get a Denon-X4000 replacement. Any other comparable replacements? This is the heart of my living room sound system and I don't think the family can survive 6 weeks without surround sound. Limping by with my Crestron Adagio piping the TV sound to the kitchen speakers...

Last edited by hscott93; 08-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #6074 of 6669 Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscott93 View Post
Just had my TX-NR809 lose sound last night. Bought 12/24/2012. Failed 1 year, 7 months later. It's good to be among friends.

Have e-mailed Jose to start my quest. Oh joy.

Would like to see if Amazon will outright refund so I can get a Denon-X4000 replacement. Any other comparable replacements? This is the heart of my living room sound system and I don't think the family can survive 6 weeks without surround sound. Limping by with my Crestron Adagio piping the TV sound to the kitchen speakers...

amazon gave me a full refund but i'm a prime member and i buy a TON of stuff from them so i'm sure that had something to do with it. just write them and let them know that the unit is a lemon the problems will never be fixed, etc. the worst they can say is no or offer you some type of return. it worked for me and i have the x4000 now.

gotta say, never though i would notice a difference in sound quality but the x4000 is awesome. i don't miss anything about the onkyo and the 3 hdmi outs of the x4000 help me with my setup alot.
post #6075 of 6669 Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 678
A question on using external power amp.
If I want to use the external amp only to drive the Fronts, is it possible with 809.
The manual says "all" preout to be connected to the power amp and does not talk about pick and choose the channel you want to use amp for.
Appreciate your help..
post #6076 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
A question on using external power amp.
If I want to use the external amp only to drive the Fronts, is it possible with 809.
The manual says "all" preout to be connected to the power amp and does not talk about pick and choose the channel you want to use amp for.
Appreciate your help..
I think that 809 is and it depends on the external amp. Might be best to contact the amp vendor and Onkyo to get clarification.
Not trying to promote Emotive as there are a lot more vendors to purchase from and some folks swear by adding an amp makes a difference and some folks don't.
I know you want a 2-channel but see below.
The below is from their website.
Example: Emotiva XPA-3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier.
Add it to your system to power the critical left, center, and right speakers, and let your receiver—or a lower-powered amp—take care of the surrounds.
Good luck....
post #6077 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Yes,

I have the pre-outs of the front speakers connected to an external power amp and it works fine. The rest of the 7.1 speakers are driven by the 809.
post #6078 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygraff View Post
Yes,

I have the pre-outs of the front speakers connected to an external power amp and it works fine. The rest of the 7.1 speakers are driven by the 809.
I assume you actually mean rest 5.1 driven by 809..
Oh. and how about adjusting the volume. How does that work with external amp when you are actually using 809's remote
post #6079 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 99
With my 809 I recently noticed that it still gets pretty warm near the HDMI boards even when it is in standby mode if HDMI passthrough is on. I think the passthrough mode might actually shorten the life of the board compared to not using it. I haven't played around with HDMI settings to see if any matter (turning off upscaling, etc) but I wouldn't think that those would even do anything in pasthrough mode...

Based on that I bought a simple $30 1:4 powered HDMI splitter that was on newegg flash to do that job so I can put the unit in full standby to try and keep some heat off from the board. So far it seems to do a fine job and doesn't have the HDCP not working glitch that the 809 had for me with HBO in passthrough mode (not sure if other also see that).

How many of you with failing units had HDMI passthrough enabled or left the unit powered on regularly?

I also just added an external amplifier (5 channel) to try and minimize the heat in the box. My HDMI section is now warmer than my amplifier section in operation.

The next step I am taking is to add a laptop cooling pad on top of the unit to see if I can get some airflow. There is currently nothing but ceiling above the unit but it still gets a little warm.

None of this should really be "required" but they are simple steps that should help lengthen the life of the unit.

-Rich
post #6080 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I assume you actually mean rest 5.1 driven by 809..
Oh. and how about adjusting the volume. How does that work with external amp when you are actually using 809's remote
Actually I think I stated it correctly, but if you discount the front left and rights, then what is left is 5.1, but I am using seven distinct speakers plus two subwoofers. The Front L&R Preamp outs go to an equalizer then to a Dynaco Stereo 120 and on to two speakers whose brand if I name will get me Flamed on this forum. The 809 then powers the Side left and rights, the center and the rear left and rights. All added together, plus a subwoofer (or two) equals 7.1. When one uses the volume adjust on the 809, the volume is also changed on the pre-amps out, so it just works. I do not remember if that is changeable in the set-up. Lastly, if I recall correctly, the Audyssey even adjusted the desired volume for me for the L&R Fronts.
post #6081 of 6669 Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygraff View Post
Actually I think I stated it correctly, but if you discount the front left and rights, then what is left is 5.1, but I am using seven distinct speakers plus two subwoofers. The Front L&R Preamp outs go to an equalizer then to a Dynaco Stereo 120 and on to two speakers whose brand if I name will get me Flamed on this forum. The 809 then powers the Side left and rights, the center and the rear left and rights. All added together, plus a subwoofer (or two) equals 7.1. When one uses the volume adjust on the 809, the volume is also changed on the pre-amps out, so it just works. I do not remember if that is changeable in the set-up. Lastly, if I recall correctly, the Audyssey even adjusted the desired volume for me for the L&R Fronts.
Thank you for the clarification.
This means the pre-outs are actually variable and which is good.
Thanks again..
post #6082 of 6669 Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mine died

2 years, 4 months into ownership and my 809 has died (no sound, HDMI passthrough on).

Is the general consensus around here you contact Onkyo for a shipment 'box' and your receiver comes back in several weeks fixed (in Canada specifically)?
post #6083 of 6669 Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
2 years, 4 months into ownership and my 809 has died (no sound, HDMI passthrough on).

Is the general consensus around here you contact Onkyo for a shipment 'box' and your receiver comes back in several weeks fixed (in Canada specifically)?
Mine died last week. For me, it was ominous when I started a Google search and began typing Onkyo TX...only to have Google autofill in the -NR809 no sound. If it is THAT common, then yes, Onkyo has an issue. I am waiting on my box to arrive to ship to the factory.
post #6084 of 6669 Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post

Probably you're solution....unless you have an authorized repair center close by. Mine was about 4 miles away.
post #6085 of 6669 Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Most are familiar with my ongoing plight of trying to get Onkyo do so the right thing and out right replace my faulty NR-809, if not read back a few pages in this thread were its all detailed. Anyways, here's a brief recap and the latest update.

1.) HDMI Board failed and was replaced.
2.) Week or so later experienced HDMI Out issues again, brought it back to repair center, no issue found.
3.) Continued to have HDMI out issues, Hard Re-set seemed to work, then continued to experience HDMI Out issues.
4.) Fearing the worse, bought extended warranty.
5.) After numerous talks with Onkyo they offered me a Refurb'd 929 for $600 plus me sending them my broken 809, I refused, a previously broken AVR as a replacement for my issue prone 80 wasn't going to cut it.
6.) After almost giving up, Onkyo suggested I send it to a regional service center, I refused figuring if an authorized center cant find and fix an issue, what would a regional center do?
7.) I finally am offered and agree to sending it to the Corporate HQ for diagnosis and repair, the below email exchange illustrates my continued frustration and lack of faith in Onkyo. Email in reverse order, read last 1st.
To: Jose Torres

Jose, looking through this latest email exchange with you, you state that it has been on your bench since "8-6", and "it is currently on the work bench going thru some test", perhaps this is a simple miscommunication yet for me it signals\indicates a continued lapse in a professional response to the ongoing saga of trying to get this POS AVR to operate as it was intended to.

Why do I say this you might be asking? Well, in our last email exchange (Yesterday) I asked for a Tracking Number which you stated you'd provide once it becomes available, and as mentioned above you stated "it has been on your bench since "8-6", and "it is currently on the work bench going thru some test", however this morning there was my AVR sitting on my front step, so when we talked yesterday you told me its been on the bench since 8-6 and is currently on the bench going through tests, how could this possibly be true, was my AVR overnighted to me? If it was on the bench yesterday, how could it be on my doorstep today?

I suppose this is all semantics and possibly a disconnect between Depts. but seriously? If I cannot be sure the information you relay to me is correct or up to date then how can I possibly be confident that you (Onkyo) can\have diagnosed my AVR's problems correctly.

Again, is there anything more that Onkyo can do for me?, especially now with this latest folly? And I don't need a Senior Level Tech to walk me through the set up process , I've successfully set up and used at least 10 AVR's, its not complicated. It's only complicated when the AVR is flawed, broken and buggy.

In closing, please provide an explanation to this latest issue.

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Website Support Email : Onkyousa.com
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 19:58:43 +0000

Hi Ryan,

Please understand that we still want to assist you as this might just be a problem in your setup at home.

I would advise you to let me know when you receive the unit and when you have some time so that I can have one of our senior techs go over the setup with you.

I will forward you the tracking number as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks,
Jose

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:31 PM
Importance: High

I know I will have problems with it, I've had nothing but problems with it, why would I make this up going through all of this hassle with driving it to repair centers, emailing you, shipping it and all of that?, though I do appreciate your efforts.

I guess this will end any possibility of future Onkyo ownership, we both know, the 1000's of NR-809 owners know, that this product is inherently flawed.

I cannot risk future purchases, I need to be assured when I buy a costly product that it will not fail within a year, though you cannot replicate the issue, it has failed 3 times or more, the original board failure, and then the 2-3+ intermittent out issues. I thought Onkyo would display better costumer service, guess not.

I just had a pair of 25+ year Old Bose 201 speakers blow on me, when inquiring about a repair service or parts availability Bose stated they didn't service speakers that old but immediately offered me 50% off the purchase of a new pair of 301's which I now have in my living room being powered by my older 606 Onkyo (Soon to be sold along with the NR-809)......Thats customer service. Are you sure there is nothing more that can be done to keep me as a continuing customer of Onkyo?

In closing, I will continue to share my bad experiences with Onkyo on all forms of social media, including Onkyo's FB page, I will reply to every new post on that site, as well as sharing my issues and experiences on all of the A/V tech sites that I am a member of, family has already been cautioned to shop other brands, sad really as I've always bought Onkyo and pushed them when others have asked for A/V advice, no more.

I'd like to thank you personally, you've been more than helpful, to bad your employer wasn't as helpful as you were. Please send me the Tracking number once you ship my faulty NR-809 back to me.

Thanks.
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:28:44 +0000
Hi Ryan,

We have had your unit on the bench since 8/6 and we are unable to duplicate your issue. We will be shipping the unit back to you. Please let me know if you are having any problems with the unit when you receive it.

Thanks,
Jose

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:44 AM
To: 'Ryan Johnson'

Hi Ryan,

We have your unit in house and it is currently on the work bench going thru some test. I will let you know what we find later on today.

Thanks,
Jose

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:28 AM

Any luck in finding my AVR?

I tried working with FedEx, and they, with me having no tracking numbers, were not able to assist me?

I'm getting a bit freaked out that my horribly defective AVR is now lost in transit, it'd be just my luck with how ownership of this NR-809 has gone.

Let me know if you can locate it at your facilities?

Thank You.
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:44:05 +0000
Hi Ryan,

Will do.

Thanks,
Jose

Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 11:55 AM

I cannot find the Tracking Number FedEx gave to me when shipping my NR-809 to your corporate offices for diagnosis and repair, can you inform me if you have received my AVR?

Thanks, Ryan Johnson.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:42:15 +0000
Hi Ryan,

They should have power cords at the repair facility, no worries.

Thanks,
Jose

Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:34 AM

Jose I received my empty box and shipping materials in preparation for me to send it the Corporate Offices. I have it all packaged up, taped up and ready to be sent, I forgot to put the power cord in the box, does it need to be included or do you have extras on hand to assist with diagnosing the AVR?
Subject: FW: Website Support Email : Onkyousa.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:46:28 +0000
Hi Ryan,

Another options would be to have the unit come here to our Corporate Offices in NJ so that we can evaluate the unit at which time we would either repair it or replace it. Let me know how you would like to proceed so that I can send you a box and label to get the unit shipped here.

Please advise,
Jose
post #6086 of 6669 Old 08-15-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Mine was fixed the first time around, fortunately. I did spring for the extended warranty, just in case. I wonder if it's a matter of different service centers. Hope you get it resolved!

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #6087 of 6669 Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Jose always responded to my past emails right away, now i've emailed him 2 times with no response over the past 2 weeks.

anyone having similar problems?
post #6088 of 6669 Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Well I'm happy to report that I received my receiver back on Sunday, 10 days to day of when I shipped my receiver off to Onkyo. Have to say I'm impressed with the turn around and I would like to personally thank Jose (Onkyo) and Ray77085 who was kind enough of to provide me Jose's contact information as well as some reassurance that Onkyo would take care of this in a expeditious fashion (especially since this is my 2nd receiver to die the slow HDMI death).

Just in time for my Redskins game last nite!! Talk about excited and happy camper!!
Ray77085 likes this.

post #6089 of 6669 Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Well I'm happy to report that I received my receiver back on Sunday, 10 days to day of when I shipped my receiver off to Onkyo. Have to say I'm impressed with the turn around and I would like to personally thank Jose (Onkyo) and Ray77085 who was kind enough of to provide me Jose's contact information as well as some reassurance that Onkyo would take care of this in a expeditious fashion (especially since this is my 2nd receiver to die the slow HDMI death).

Just in time for my Redskins game last nite!! Talk about excited and happy camper!!
That's great!
Mine went out on 8/7. Have not received anything back yet. Hopefully it will be real soon!
post #6090 of 6669 Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
That's great!
Mine went out on 8/7. Have not received anything back yet. Hopefully it will be real soon!
In hindsight, I would for them to send a tracking number because I was out of town on vacation and came home (Sunday) to find my receiver on my front stoop. No idea if it had been there since Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Component Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page