"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #6631 of 6653 Old 01-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 50
809 repairs from 2014... where are they now?

Some 15 or 20 pages ago in this thread, I outlined sending back my 809 for repairs. I got it back quickly, and it worked fine. It still does, with minor exceptions.

In the summer of 2017 (about a year and a half ago at this point), I started having some of the HDMI audio issues that we all know and love. Once the cooler winter months set it, the issues stopped. I figured I'd be ok to save up until the summer of 2018 and then upgrade. But, lo and behold, the 809 continues to behave! Periodically the physical power button will trigger Pure Audio mode instead of turning it off, but the unit works flawlessly with the remote. My interest in Atmos is the only real driver for my upgrading now, which is why I've been reading the past 2 years of posts to catch up.

It seems like everyone that has a working 809 really prefers the sound of it to a lot of the newer models. I generally do enjoy mine, but I really enjoy the surround effects and will always want more! The 809 is set up as a 7.2 now in a 24'x22' room. On a previous page of this thread, some of the receivers mentioned on the upgrade path will do a 7.2.2 or a 5.2.4 setup. I would like to move to a x.x.4, but losing two of my surround speakers seems like I'm missing out! All in all, it looks like I have some more reading to do over in the Atmos thread.

Do you think that Onkyo has gotten past their hardware troubles? I am not opposed to looking at Denon etc, but I suppose I have an emotional attachment to Onkyo since that's all I've owned for 10 or 15 years now. Like previous posters here, I am wondering what other 809 alumni chose when moving into the Atmos world (assuming any others of us come back to read here...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6653 Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
Do you think that Onkyo has gotten past their hardware troubles?
With Pioneer’s influence, it’s a good bet that past HDMI issues are in the past. As of late with Onkyo’s current crop of AVR’s, anecdotal evidence seem to indicate there are few HDMI related issues. Keep in mind also that HDMI issues were not just isolated to Onkyo...many of the other AVR brands experienced similar issues as reported by a major Canadian repair center.

Quote:
I am not opposed to looking at Denon etc, but I suppose I have an emotional attachment to Onkyo since that's all I've owned for 10 or 15 years now.
Many Onkyo owners are well aware of Onkyo’s classic sound qualitiy, power, and performance. Many, including myself, have tried several “current” Denon models to find very nice feature sets but lacking in dynamics and soft bass performance.

Quote:
Like previous posters here, I am wondering what other 809 alumni chose when moving into the Atmos world (assuming any others of us come in back to read here...)
AFAIK, a few 809 owners crossed over to Denon for various reasons. However, having auditioned the Denon 3300, 4200, 6500 and Onkyo 1100, I personally settled on the RZ920. The 920 has 11 channel processing capability (7.1.4) with the addition of an inexpensive 2 channel amp...the absolute same capability as the 1100 and 3100 for under $1000. As many others have also felt, I have no regrets as the 920 comes closer to the performance of the classic Onkyo’s than do the Denons.

For other opinions and further insight, you may want to visit the dedicated Onkyo 920 thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-tx-rz920.html

And lastly, you may want to consider the RZ830 which was introduced recently with very similar capabilities. However, the current value and price point of the 920 is hard to beat. Good luck with your choices and decision.

Edit: One more comment...those of us who are now using AccuEQ do not miss Audyssey in the least.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 01-08-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added comment
post #6633 of 6653 Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Thank you so much, Gene! That's exactly the type of reply I was hoping to get. I have really enjoyed the 809, but I would like to move into the future with Atmos etc. Having Wifi, Bluetooth and Alexa all seems like standard stuff when browsing new receivers, but none of that existed a mere 8 years ago! I'll certainly check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
with the addition of an inexpensive 2 channel amp
I have no experience with external amplifiers at all. Someone in a previous thread mentioned using an old Onkyo AVR with video problems as their external amp for speakers. Is that doable? Worthwhile?

Quote:
Edit: One more comment...those of us who are now using AccuEQ do not miss Audyssey in the least.
That's good... elsewhere in this thread, it seemed like the loss of Audyssey was going to be a dealbreaker. I am glad to hear that AccuEQ is going to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 6653 Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Thank you so much, Gene!
You’re welcome

Quote:
I have no experience with external amplifiers at all. Someone in a previous thread mentioned using an old Onkyo AVR with video problems as their external amp for speakers. Is that doable? Worthwhile?
Yes..it’s doable if the older AVR has analog (RCA type) inputs...but it’s a bit clunky and less elegant to do so. Most enthusiasts prefer using an inexpensive amp like the one below...more elegant if you will...and very simple to integrate.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-...nnel+amplifier

Quote:
That’s good... elsewhere in this thread, it seemed like the loss of Audyssey was going to be a dealbreaker. I am glad to hear that AccuEQ is going to work!
Here’s a couple of comments from those who had concerns with loosing Audyssey.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56923928

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57288098

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 01-09-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
post #6635 of 6653 Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
You’re welcome

Yes..it’s doable if the older AVR has analog (RCA type) inputs...but it’s a bit clunky and less elegant to do so. Most enthusiasts prefer using an inexpensive amp like the one below...more elegant if you will...and very simple to integrate.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-...nnel+amplifier

Here’s a couple of comments from those who had concerns with loosing Audyssey.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56923928

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57288098
Fantastic - that is very helpful. I watched a couple of YouTube videos last night about connecting amps - it's much easier than I thought... and apparently less expensive! I have friends who have added amps in Ham Radio scenarios, and that is not cheap in the least - so I haven't even considered that for HT. Now, I can. Thanks again!
gene4ht likes this.
post #6636 of 6653 Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaboe Crimm View Post
I've had this 809 since it was released and haven't felt need for upgrade until recently. But now my unit doesn't stream Spotify, pandora or other internet music which is a real loss. I did add an Emotiva 3 to drive the lcr plus a Seaton sub which was the best $5 grand I have spent on this system. I use my system 90% for music, and really like experimenting with different dsp for best effect as the room is pretty large. Even 7.1 has trouble filling it up with certain music. So I'd be interested in knowing what people have moved to from here that felt like a real improvement. I'm looking at the new topunits from Denon as well as Anthem. Marantz not as much. Want video and audio upscaling as well as atmos and what else ya got. Anybody prefer separates, outboard dac, etc? thanks for ideas...

Still would appreciate anyone's experience with the onboard connection to Spotify. This worked fine until sometime during 2018, and now none of the direct streamers connect. Did Onkyo pull the plug on these?

Thanks much.
post #6637 of 6653 Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
I've had this 809 since it was released and haven't felt need for upgrade until recently. But now my unit doesn't stream Spotify, pandora or other internet music which is a real loss. I did add an Emotiva 3 to drive the lcr plus a Seaton sub which was the best $5 grand I have spent on this system. I use my system 90% for music, and really like experimenting with different dsp for best effect as the room is pretty large. Even 7.1 has trouble filling it up with certain music. So I'd be interested in knowing what people have moved to from here that felt like a real improvement. I'm looking at the new topunits from Denon as well as Anthem. Marantz not as much. Want video and audio upscaling as well as atmos and what else ya got. Anybody prefer separates, outboard dac, etc? thanks for ideas...
Quote:
Still would appreciate anyone's experience with the onboard connection to Spotify. This worked fine until sometime during 2018, and now none of the direct streamers connect. Did Onkyo pull the plug on these?

Thanks much.

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but I came to this thread with a similar one, so I thought I'd piggyback/start a discussion, and we'll see if we can get anyone else to respond who might know more.

My TX-NR809 is still the workhorse on my *primary* living room rig, and I still really like it. I never bothered to look into how to use the onboard connection much until now. Back when I first bought this AVR I don't think I even knew what DLNA was. A lot of time has passed since then; my configuration/media organization has improved tremendously, and my connected equipment (TV, etc) has as well, but I still think this onkyo is a great "AVR".

I've been using Chromecast Audio's (x4) for several years now. For the ones that are "better rigs" (like my TX-NR809) I take advantage of the Optical Output capability to go out of the CCA with 1's and 0's still encoded and into the TX-NR809 via Optical for decoding and amplification. This is how I stream my streaming subscriptions (like Spotify) as well as my own music library of FLAC files and MP3's (via Plex).

Recently, I've been having trouble with 24/96 FLAC file playback via Chromecast Audio.

For a while now I've been toying with trying Roon Audio.

Any TX-NR809 owners have/use Roon? Because of it's DLNA support, is our TX-NR809 capable of being a Roon endpoint?
post #6638 of 6653 Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

FWIW, I just checked and my 809 plays Pandora just fine.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #6639 of 6653 Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM

It's good to hear from others on this 809 upgrade question. This has worked without any problems for years, although when I read there were motherboard issues maybe due to overrheating I put a usb powered cooling fan on top of the unit and never think about it since. This loss of internet may be something hardware related now that it's clear pandora should still stream on the unit. FWIW I've listened to two AVRs that I liked a lot, Anthem 1120 and Arcam 850. Both way pricey but hey I've got more money than time at this stage. What was surprising to me, having gotten used to the Onkyo all these years, is how much better spatial definition comes from different electronics. Still on the fence for now, but as for losing Pandora I'll check into my wifi.
post #6640 of 6653 Old 03-08-2019, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i feel like i need some advice.

My 809 hdmi board finally fully kicked the bucket 2 weeks ago. I got an 830 as a replacement, thinking that number wise it would be feature equivalent.

i've never felt so disappointed in an "upgrade". Even going from windows 7 to windows 10 wasn't this bad.

The remote is garbage. no backlight, no "activities" style controls, no individual controls for TV, Receiver, etc. no ability to channel up/down or disc up/down.

1 less HDMI port
1 less optical port
2 less digital coax ports
100% less SVideo Ports

an added "chromecast" that doesn't actually fully replace a chromecast device (aka no way to cast video) so it doesn't make up for the lost HDMI port

i feel like my 809 and i got tuned together and my existing setup works well/better with the 809.

i got the 830 as part of the exchange upgrade program and quite frankly i'd rather have my 809 back to fully functional/working condition.

Of course, you can't find the damned hdmi board now.

Am i missing something with this new receiver?
Is there another remote that is more in line with what i'm used to from the 809?
did anyone find a way to make up for the missing svideo, digital audio, and hdmi port(s)?
Is there a model out there (even a non-onkyo) that i should look at instead of the 830 that would be more in feature parity with the 809?

My display is a Panasonic Professional Plasma (th-50pf11uk) and it won't change anytime soon (i care very little about 4k resolution and HDR at the moment)
I have polk Monitor 40s for surrounds/rear surrounds, polk monitor 60s for fronts, polk cs2 for center, and bic america F12 sub. I might consider getting additional speakers, but i don't think my small space justifies it.
While i like the idea of atmos, i don't know that i care enough to lose my other features.

Component wise, i have:
1. PS4
2. Xbox One X
3. Xbox 360
4. PS3
5. Wii U
6. PC
7. upscaling HDMI DVD/VHS player
8. Chromecast
9. Fire TV Stick (which is often disconnected in favor of the chromecast or PC)
10 Original Xbox via component

11. PS2 via component

12. Sega SAturn via RGB
13. Arcade games via SuperGun/Super Famicom/N64/Genesis/PC Duo/Famicom to XRGB-Mini "Framemeister"
14. CD-I via SVideo
15. 3DO via SVideo
16. GameCube via Component

Last having this fully set up, the Xbox One and the PS4 were not part of the setup.

I didn't have to pay for the disappointment in Windows 10, so maybe that took out a lot of the sting. It also doesn't hurt that i went back to win 7 on my main system anyway. but paying $500+ for what amounts to a downgrade for me really hurts.
post #6641 of 6653 Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Long story short.
The 500$ 830 or what ever in all the methods of replacement... Just did not seem right.

I like the conns on my 809 and the power is plentiful.

I took it to an indy shop in Edinburg TX.
$30 reflow on the dd/dts chip that Onkyo over clocked in the first place. Oh, the $30 included a heat sink.

My 809 is back in the rack sounding as good as ever.

$30 fix.

I did clean the chassis with a bit of air and an old Pentax power brush. The tech appreciated that😁.

Do not throw these out unless You want to.

All the best.
Doug

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Retired )
post #6642 of 6653 Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
Just bought a new LG E8 TV and my tx-nr809 ARC is not decoding any 5.1 audio from the tv’s Netflix or Amazon app, but will decode PCM. Anyone have similar issues or know what settings to use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6643 of 6653 Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvelocity View Post
Just bought a new LG E8 TV and my tx-nr809 ARC is not decoding any 5.1 audio from the tv’s Netflix or Amazon app, but will decode PCM. Anyone have similar issues or know what settings to use?

I assume you are using HDMI connection. You may have to make sure the TV's audio output setting is set to EXTERNAL SPEAKERS, as opposed to TV SPEAKERS. On my TV, if it is set to TV SPEAKERS, the digital output is only 2.0 audio.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #6644 of 6653 Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
I assume you are using HDMI connection. You may have to make sure the TV's audio output setting is set to EXTERNAL SPEAKERS, as opposed to TV SPEAKERS. On my TV, if it is set to TV SPEAKERS, the digital output is only 2.0 audio.

TV sound output is set to HDMI ARC right now. The TV speaker options are separate and if I choose those speaker options, I don’t get audio out to HDMI ARC.

The ARC option has 2 sub options: Auto and PCM. If I choose PCM then I get stereo out to the Onkyo, but I get no audio if I choose Auto.

This TV can do Dolby Atmos so I wonder if it’s outputting a format my onkyo can’t decode.

post #6645 of 6653 Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvelocity View Post
TV sound output is set to HDMI ARC right now. The TV speaker options are separate and if I choose those speaker options, I don’t get audio out to HDMI ARC.

The ARC option has 2 sub options: Auto and PCM. If I choose PCM then I get stereo out to the Onkyo, but I get no audio if I choose Auto.

This TV can do Dolby Atmos so I wonder if it’s outputting a format my onkyo can’t decode.

You could try connecting an optical digital cable from the TV to the 809 and see if you can at least get Dolby Digital 5.1. That is how I have my Sony 4K TV connected to my 809 and I get 5.1 sound if I set the Sony's speaker output selection to external speakers.

post #6646 of 6653 Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
You could try connecting an optical digital cable from the TV to the 809 and see if you can at least get Dolby Digital 5.1. That is how I have my Sony 4K TV connected to my 809 and I get 5.1 sound if I set the Sony's speaker output selection to external speakers.

Thanks for the help. I used the optical out to the 809 and got DD. Then I suspected my original HDMI cable used on the old TV might be the issue with ARC so I replaced with a newer 4K certified cable and voila I now have DD+ back through ARC.

mtrot likes this.
post #6647 of 6653 Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
How well does the TX-NR809 support 4K? Does it support HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, and IMAX Enhanced features or is this transparent to the receiver? (I'm getting a 4K panel soon.)
post #6648 of 6653 Old 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
How well does the TX-NR809 support 4K? Does it support HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, and IMAX Enhanced features or is this transparent to the receiver? (I'm getting a 4K panel soon.)

I don't think the 809 supports 4K at all.

post #6649 of 6653 Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I don't think the 809 supports 4K at all.
I remembered seeing a 4K sticker on my old 809.

Quick google indicates it can upscale to 4K.
4K Video Upscaling and Processing via Qdeo™ Technology

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products...ml?tab=Details

Btw: Nice Dynaudio Audience 82 avatar. These used to be my main speakers in my HT room up till a couple of years ago, when I upgraded to my current Paradigm Studio speakers.
post #6650 of 6653 Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM

Liked: 0
subwoofer preamp out

For some history about 6 years ago my hdmi went out and the unit stopped powering on. I took it in and had it "fixed" under warranty. Worked great for a month and hdmi went out again. Frustrated I put it in its box and dreamed of taking a sledgehammer to it. I didn't...

A couple years later I purchased an oppo bdp-103 and cobbled together some amps for my home theater.

Skip forward a couple more years, and the other day it occurred to me that maybe the audio portion of my 809 was working despite the hdmi issues. Dusted it off and plugged it in, lo and behold audio seems fine.

Here's the question. I connected the 7.1 outputs from the oppo to the bd multichan inputs of the onkyo. All works great. Except that the preamp out of the onkyo doesn't seem to carry the signal from the oppo. The 809 doesn't have speaker level subwoofer output. And if I connect the sub to the output of the oppo it won't be volume controlled (because i want to control volume on the onkyo to maybe use the other audio inputs).

I thought about using the optical out of the oppo to connect to the onkyo instead of multichan inputs but don't want to lose the resolution. HDMI in of the onkyo is busted as previously mentioned.

So... what are my options for connecting the sub? Am I missing something about the sub preamp output? Maybe one of the millions of settings allows me to pass audio to sub preamp out?
post #6651 of 6653 Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylark View Post
Please ignore the above, I pulled up a pdf of the inputs and must have mixed something up in the dark. Works fine connected to subwoofer output of the 809.
post #6652 of 6653 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wonder if anyone can help cause I’m very stumped. So came across a Parasound 3 channel amp and though hey why not put in the system. So connected my pre outs to the 3 fronts LCR and fired it up. Well awesome sounding..... but now at random powering up the system my OnkyoTXnr 809 doesn’t seem to always connect with the external amp. Turn it off then back on and all speakers show on in 5.1 and external amp using the assigned channels through ore amp. But then turn off and Onkyo again senses no speakers? Gains are set? I don’t get it?
post #6653 of 6653 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newone42 View Post
Wonder if anyone can help cause I’m very stumped. So came across a Parasound 3 channel amp and though hey why not put in the system. So connected my pre outs to the 3 fronts LCR and fired it up. Well awesome sounding..... but now at random powering up the system my OnkyoTXnr 809 doesn’t seem to always connect with the external amp. Turn it off then back on and all speakers show on in 5.1 and external amp using the assigned channels through ore amp. But then turn off and Onkyo again senses no speakers? Gains are set? I don’t get it?

Well, the 809 cannot "sense" or "know" whether or not any speakers are connected to the Parasound amp. All you can do is run interconnect cables from the L/C/R pre-outs on the 809 to the three inputs on the Parasound. I guess re-check the interconnect cables and make sure they are fully seated, and make sure the Parasound is actually turned on(I can't tell you how many times I got no sound out of my front speakers, only to find that I had forgotten to turn on my Krell power amp). Also, make sure the 809 is not set to ZONE 2, which may cause no signal to be sent to the Parasound via the pre-outs. Other than those things, don't know what to think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Component Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page