The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #3031 of 6386 Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Liked: 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

To your point: my initial thought was that addressing post-calibration results assessment/adjustment, while not strictly related to Pro per se, is something that is a) more advanced than the average consumer Audyssey calibrator may be familiar with, particularly someone coming from an older Audyssey and/or non-Audssey AVR and b) a logical "next step" on the learning curve for the user seeking to optmize their system.

Hi Stuart,

I think something like that could have a place in the Pro section of the FAQ. By definition, the Pro section will be for more advanced users, so these advanced issues will fit in fine with that ethos. Someone other than me would have to do the basic framework for that specific Q and A though as that sort of expertise is well above my pay grade. If you or someone cares to frame the Q and A I can easily write it up in the usual style of the FAQ though. It could come under a heading of "After I have run Pro successfully, is there anything else I can do to improve my SQ?" It would be useful, I agree, to have this 'concensus' info all in one place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 6386 Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Yes, I think we mentioned this before. It's not really relevant to Pro as such but it's too advanced for the general FAQ. I could include it in the Pro FAQ which, by definition and design, will be more for the advanced user anyway.

Yes, I recall that conversation.  IMHO, we need to approach this in steps, the first one being a conprehensive FAQ covering the advantages and operational differences of the Pro kit.  Once that is nailed down, I think there is another whole area that we could address as a team, and that is "Pre-calibration optimimization and post-calibration results assessment/adjustments" (hopefully we can find a less awkward title).

Agreed - we can handle it at the same time though and include it in the FAQ when ready. I found on the 'consumer' FAQ that once the questions had been sorted out, the answers were fairly quick to fall into place, so I woud expect us to have 'part 1' of the Pro section finalised in about a week or so. Then we can collectively work on the "Pre-calibration optimimization and post-calibration results assessment/adjustments" section and add it in. If anyone cares to donate some copy for such a section, to get the ball rolling, I would be most grateful.

post #3033 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Pro FAQ

This is the list of Questions so far. I have compiled answers to several already.

j)1. What is the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit?

j)2. Which AVRs or Prepros are 'Pro-ready'?
j)3. What does it cost & where do I buy the Pro Kit?
j)4. What are the differences between the Pro Kit and regular MultEQ?
j)5. Do the results from the Pro Kit depend on the Audyssey version that's built into my unit?
j)6. What is the latest version of the Pro software and where do I get it?
j)7. Are there any known issues/bugs in the Pro software?
j)8. Can I use the Pro Kit to help set up my system prior to calibration?
j)9. How do I get started?
j)10. How do I connect the kit to my AVR or AVP?
j)11. How do I save my measurements for future use?
j)12. How do I edit the target curve, and why would I want to?
j)13. How do I use the 'Target Sound Options'?
j)14. What is Mid-range Compensation?
j)15. Is there anything I should do to optimise my system prior to Pro calibration?
j)16. Post-calibration results assessment and adjustments.

Please suggest additional questions that you feel should be included.

I require specific help with questions 15 and 16. Question 10 so far includes advice on setting up Denon units (in general) and the Onkyo 5509/Integra 80.3. If anyone has specific guidelines for other units, please PM them to me for inclusion. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Perhaps #15 should be in a preface?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #3035 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Perhaps #15 should be in a preface?

A preface?! :) It has to be a question format to fit the FAQ style - I don't see it as much of a problem if the order of the Qs seems a bit arcane you know. I don't expect anyone will sit there and read it from top to bottom (if they do, they need to get out more). And each Answer is cross-referenced to other Answers that contain relevant info, as with the rest of the FAQ.

It's a pity that AVS doesn’t show a 'post read' count because we don't really know how people are using the FAQ. I expect most people just come into the thread and ask a question, without searching the thread. That is where the FAQ is really useful because we can just post the FAQ link instead of typing the answer for the 200th time. I expect the Pro FAQ section will be used in much the same way. Hopefully, once someone has 'discovered' the FAQ they will then use it as a primary resource for further questions and so don't post them in the thread. Anecdotally, I believe we have seen a reduction in the repetitively asked questions since the FAQ came into being but there's no real way of knowing. A 'post read' x times counter would give us a clue as to how often the FAQ is being looked at but sadly the AVS software doesn't seem to have such a feature.

Anyway, enough of this banter... I have a terrier to walk. :)

K

PS. Please feel free to contribute an answer to 15 (and 16) if you wish, to accompany your excellent answer wrt to target curve editing :) 

PPS - if anyone has objections to the order of the Q's please speak up now - it is a royal PITA to change the order once it's in the AVS editor because any links to other Qs also have to be changed as well.

post #3036 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11430 Post(s)
Liked: 6765

You could move #15 to after #7 rather than have it as a preface, if there is logic to the order of the entries.

#8 could easily be part of #15, but having it separate is OK as well.

Edit:  j)11. How do I save my measurements for future use?  could be changed to j)11. Why is saving measurements important, and how do I do it?

post #3037 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Edit:  j)11. How do I save my measurements for future use?  could be changed to j)11. Why is saving measurements important, and how do I do it?
+1

post #3038 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

You could move #15 to after #7 rather than have it as a preface, if there is logic to the order of the entries.

#8 could easily be part of #15, but having it separate is OK as well.

Thanks Jerry - please add these comments to the general remarks you will have when you have read the draft I sent you earlier by PM. All good stuff so far thanks.

post #3039 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

+1

+1 too two :)

post #3040 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

MultEQ corrects for the common crossover slope mismatch error by imposing a HPF to the speaker filter:..
Much appreciated. Thnx, Markus.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3041 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

MultEQ corrects for the common crossover slope mismatch error by imposing a HPF to the speaker filter:

For comparison, here is a graph from the Sensible sound review that David Rich did of the Sound Equalizer that shows the actual corrected response at the crossover with Pro.

Here are is a graph of the measured responses with no EQ of the satellite and subwoofer.

Here is the graph with the EQ on.

Here is the average result with EQ on.

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.
post #3042 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:

Pro FAQ

This is the list of Questions so far. I have compiled answers to several already.

j)5. Do the results from the Pro Kit depend on the Audyssey version that's built into my unit?
j)15. Is there anything I should do to optimise my system prior to Pro calibration?

I require specific help with questions 15 and 16. Question 10 so far includes advice on setting up Denon units (in general) and the Onkyo 5509/Integra 80.3. If anyone has specific guidelines for other units, please PM them to me for inclusion. Thanks.

Keith,
I don't claim to be an expert on "post-caclibration results assessment and adjustments". But since I've been working with OmniMic on my own calibration, and I raised the point, I can take a stab at my thoughts about post-results assessment/adjustments I've done and send them to you, to at least get you started. It might take me a week or so to have the time to do it, though.

Stuart

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #3043 of 6386 Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5651 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Steven

Thanks for the graphs. It's hard to see what the slope correction does because everything is swamped by the large magnitude variations in the single seat measurements. We would need to look at the in-room "after" curves of each satellite speaker to see if it better matches a 24dB/octave high pass filter.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3044 of 6386 Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Quote:

Pro FAQ

Keith,
I don't claim to be an expert on "post-caclibration results assessment and adjustments". But since I've been working with OmniMic on my own calibration, and I raised the point, I can take a stab at my thoughts about post-results assessment/adjustments I've done and send them to you, to at least get you started. It might take me a week or so to have the time to do it, though.

Stuart

Stuart, that would be much appreciated, thanks very much.

post #3045 of 6386 Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11430 Post(s)
Liked: 6765

@Keith:  my feedback has been sent in a PM.

post #3046 of 6386 Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 PM

post #3047 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 AM

Audyssey Pro Installer Kit FAQ

The Pro FAQ is now almost ready for release. There are currently 20 detailed questions and answers.

Unfortunately, I now realise that there is a post-length limitation at AVS and consequently I cannot add the Pro section to the original Audyssey FAQ as I intended.

I will therefore post the Pro FAQ as a separate FAQ in the Pro Installer Kit Thread. It may be that it is more appropriate anyway to keep them separate and each in their respective threads, although it will make maintenance slightly more difficult. It is probably safe to assume that anyone buying a Pro kit already has a good grounding in Audyssey MultEQ anyway, so perhaps the 'consumer' version of the FAQ is best kept separate. 

Thanks to all members who have helped me with the copy for the Pro FAQ, especially AustinJerry who has written some sections for me, served as Editor for the entire thing and contributed many useful suggestions. 

I will make the FAQ live later today when Jerry has had one last chance to look it over.

As always, if anyone finds anything in the FAQ that is contentious or unclear, please let me know and I will do my best to fix it. Similarly, if there are any areas we have missed or which need further elaboration, please shout up.

You will see that the last question in the FAQ concerns post-calibration assessment and adjustments and sdrucker (Stuart) has kindly agreed to contribute this answer but his commitments mean that it will be a week or so before he is able to submit his copy. Thanks, Stuart, it is appreciated.

Cheers everyone,

Keith

This also posted in the Official Audyssey Thread - please excuse double post, but it is relevant to both groups.

post #3048 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM

WELCOME TO THE AUDYSSEY PRO INSTALLER KIT FAQ!

• Links are highlighted in a different colour to the rest of the text.
  • Clicking on any Question takes you straight to the answer.
  • Clicking on a Section Header takes you straight to that section.
  • To return here, click on 'Go back to top'.
  • To return to a Section Header, click on Go back to Section Header'.
  • Clicking on any 'See Also' link takes you to other answers that may be relevant to the one you are reading.
  • Clicking on a 'Further Reading' link takes you to more in-depth articles on other sites.

There is a dedicated 'counterpart' FAQ to this one, specially designed for users of the Audyssey MultEQ in all its various 'consumer' flavours. This 'general FAQ' is hosted in the Official Audyssey Thread here at AVS. To go directly to the FAQ, click here.

Introduction to the Audyssey FAQ and 101

Welcome to the Audyssey PRO FAQ! This FAQ is added to and edited on a regular basis. When AVS members read the FAQ and then post supplementary questions in the host thread, those additional questions form the basis for additions, corrections and amendments to the FAQ. In this way, the FAQ should become more and more useful over time. If you have any comments or suggestions relating to this FAQ, please leave a message in the thread if you feel it will be of general interest, or send me a Private Message by clicking here. Thank you.

The legal bit: Please note that you use any of the information contained in this FAQ at your own risk. Any suggested procedures have been verified by several AVS members prior to publishing, but if you end up 'bricking' your unit, or experiencing any unintended and unwanted consequences by following the advice contained in the FAQ, it is your responsibility and no liability is accepted by the FAQ compiler, AVS Forums or anyone else.

A. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: General Information

a)1. What is the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit?
a)2. Which AVRs or Prepros are 'Pro-ready'?
a)3. What does it cost & where do I buy the Audyssey Pro Kit?
a)4. What are the differences between the Audyssey Pro Kit and regular MultEQ?
a)5. Do the results from the Audyssey Pro Kit depend on the Audyssey version that's built into my unit?
a)6. What is the latest version of the Audyssey Pro software and where do I get it?
a)7. Are there any known issues/bugs in the Audyssey Pro software?
a)8. Can I extend the Pro mic cable?

B. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: Things To Consider Before Measuring

b)1. Is there anything I should do to optimise my system prior to Audyssey Pro calibration?
b)2. Can I use the Audyssey Pro Kit to help set up my system prior to calibration?
b)3. Gain-Matching Subwoofers — Why and How?
b)4. How do I get started?
b)5. How do I connect the Audyssey Pro Kit to my AVR or AVP?
b)6. Do I need to fill in all the data on the first several screens of the Audyssey Pro software?
b)7. If I use the Audyssey Pro kit, can I forget about room treatments?

C. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: Things To Consider When Calibrating

c)1. How do I use the subwoofer level-matching screen?
c)2. How do I edit the target curve, and why would I want to?
c)3. How do I use the 'Target Sound Options'?
c)4. What is Mid-range Compensation?
c)5. Why is saving measurements important, and how do I do it?
c)6. What are the final calibration steps?
c)7. I'm having trouble using the gooseneck mic holder - any tips?

D. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Post-Calibration Considerations

d)1. Post-calibration suggestions (optional).
d)2. Why do I need to write down the sub level and distance settings?
d)3. How useful are the Pro Certificates?

A. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: General Information

a)1. What is the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit?

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit, or more simply 'Audyssey Pro', is the next and ultimate step in Audyssey calibration. The Pro Kit consists of a high-quality, individually calibrated mic and preamp, a good mic boom stand, all the required cables needed for hookup and the Audyssey Pro software to run on your Windows* laptop where the results of the measuments are 'crunched' to create appropriate filters which are then uploaded to your Pro-ready AVR or AVP.

Here's a complete list of items in the Kit:

• A good quality canvas-style bag to hold everything
  • Calibrated Microphone (APM-1)
  • Calibrated Preamplifier with power adapter
  • MultEQ Pro Application Setup CD and Setup Guide
  • 10 ft. USB Cable
  • Three Mini-XLR Cables (25 ft. long)
  • Mini-XLR to RCA Adapter
  • Mini-XLR to XLR-Female
  • Mini-XLR to XLR-Male
  • USB to RS232 Serial Cable
  • Microphone Stand (A nice Samson adjustable boom stand)
  • Gooseneck mic attachment for stand

Some of these items are described in more detail below (details and images courtesy of Audyssey):

Calibrated Microphone and Microphone Stand.

Each Audyssey microphone is calibrated by Audyssey and comes with a custom calibration curve that matches the microphone to a high
precision, ¼” reference microphone. The calibration curve for your microphone is stored on your MultEQ Pro application CD. The absolute sensitivity, including the exact gain of each individual Calibrated Preamplifier, is included in the correction curve, ensuring that the trims reported by MultEQ Pro will result in reference SPL playback level.

Previous Installer Kits Items from previous versions of the Audyssey Installer Kit (such as the Audyssey MM01 Professional Calibration Microphone) can still be used for calibration with MultEQ Pro v.25 or later as long as the microphone calibration file is copied into the new Audyssey directory.

Calibrated Preamplifier.

This microphone preamplifier provides phantom power to the microphone and applies fixed gain amplification to the microphone signal. It has no external controls, making installation easy and free of troubleshooting. The microphone preamp’s Mic In mini-XLR jack is where the measurement microphone is connected. Use the enclosed mini-XLR microphone cables for both the Mic In and Line Out connections to this preamp. Warning: Only use the supplied Audyssey Calibrated Preamplifier. Do not use any other microphone preamplifier.

MultEQ Pro Application CD and Setup Guide.

The MultEQ Pro Application and User Guide may be found on the enclosed CD. A printed Setup Guide is included in the Installer Kit. The application is installed on your laptop.

10 ft. USB Cable.

The laptop running the MultEQ Pro application connects to an Audyssey Sound Equalizer via the 10 ft. USB cable.

Microphone Mini-XLR Cables.

The Installer Kit contains three 25 ft. mini-XLR cables. The cables are used to connect the microphone preamp (from the Line Out interface) to the Audyssey Installer-Ready device. The cables can be linked together to provide up to 75 feet of length for large rooms or multi-room installations.

RCA to Mini-XLR Adapter.

Use this adapter to connect the Line out of the mic preamplifier mini-XLR cable to the proper Input on the Audyssey Installer-Ready device.

USB to RS232 Serial C
able.

This cable connects Audyssey Installer-Ready products to the laptop running the MultEQ Pro application.

Using the Audyssey Pro Kit, you will be able to sample more points in your room and customise the sound more precisely to the specific problems in that room.

With the Audyssey Pro Kit, you can take up to 32 room position measurements to address acoustical problems even in large and/or odd-shaped rooms. Additionally, you can customise the Target Curves and finely tune the target sound to gain better control over resolving the acoustical problems inherent in every room.

After calibration, the Audyssey MultEQ Pro Certificate provides a visual representation of the correction that was made to the listening environment.

*NOTE: MultEQ Pro 3.6 is not compatible with any Windows emulator for Mac OS X (i.e. Parallels or VMware Fusion). Installers who wish to use our software on an Apple computer must use Bootcamp.

If this answer helped you, or failed to help you, please click here to post a comment in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread. Thank you!

Go back to top.
Go back to Section Header.

a)2. Which AVRs or Prepros are 'Pro-ready?

Audyssey Pro will work only with specific AVRs and AVPs that are 'Pro Ready'. A list of these can be found on the Audyssey Installer website by clicking here and in the table below. However, do be aware that the list is not always right up to date. Remember to check the 'Installer Ready' box on the web page if checking there! If in doubt, ask on the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit thread. Because Audyssey Pro works in conjunction with the 'base' version of MultEQ in the AVR or AVP, it is highly recommended that, if possible, you choose a unit that features XT32.

XT32 Equipped Units XT Equipped Units
Manufacturer Model No. Manufacturer Model No. Manufacturer Model No.
Onkyo TX-NR3010* Onkyo PR-SC886P Marantz AV7701
TX-NR5010* PR-SC885P SR7007
TX-NR5009* Integra DTR-80.1 AV7005
TX-NR3009* DHC-80.1 SR7005
PR-SC5509 DTR-70.1 SR6007
PR-SC5508 DTR-9.9 SR6006
Integra DHC-80.3 DHC-9.9 NAD M15 HD2
DTR-80.2 DTC-9.8 T785 HD
DHC-80.2 DTR-8.9 T775 HD
DTR-70.4 DTR-8.8 T175 HD
DTR-70.3 Denon AVR-4310CI M15 HD
DTR-70.2 AVR-3808CI AM 200 MDC HD
Denon AVR-4311CI AVR-3313CI
AVR-4520CI AVR-3312CI
AVR-5805CI AVR-3311CI
AVR-5308CI AVR-2313CI
AVR 4310CI AVR-2312CI
AVR-4308CI AVR-5805CI
AVR-A100 AVR-5308CI
Marantz AV8801 AVR-4810CI
AVR-4308CI
AVP-A1HDCI

*These models installer-ready only in EU and Asia

If this answer helped you, or failed to help you, please click here to post a comment in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread. Thank you

Go back to top.

a)3. What does it cost and where do I buy the Audyssey Pro Kit?

To purchase a kit, you are encouraged to use the 'Find an Installer' search tool on the Audyssey Installer website, accessible by clicking here. If you are not having any success, I suggest you contact Audyssey directly as Audyssey will sell one directly to you - this is especially useful if you are buying outside the USA.

Alternatively, you may find a better deal and save some $$$ by buying from AVS member Getgray. Getgray has a stellar reputation here at AVS and stocks and sells the Pro kit through TechHT at very competitive pricing. TechHT also usually have at least one kit in stock to cut down on your waiting time. TechHT also ship internationally on a regular basis via Fedex. Contact [email protected] for details.

You also need a licence for your unit which is obtained directly from Audyssey CS when you register your kit. Licences cost $150 and licence your unit for life.

Note that if you upgrade your AVR or AVP, you cannot transfer the Pro licence to the new system - it is married to the AVR's Mac or serial number, so a new unit requires a new licence. However, if you sell your AVR or AVP, then you can transfer the licence to the new owner by contacting Audyssey support and submitting a request to transfer the licence.

If this answer helped you, or failed to help you, please click here to post a comment in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread. Thank you!

See Also:
Go back to top.

a)4. What are the differences between the Audyssey Pro Kit and regular MultEQ?

There are several important differences:

The Pro mic is supplied with a calibration file unique to that particular mic and this results in an accuracy of +/- 0.5dB, as compared with the +/- 2dB of the 'consumer' versions of MultEQ. More accurate measurement makes for more accurate filters and therefore the likelihood of a superior resolution to your room's acoustic problems.

Audyssey Pro allows for up to 32 measurement positions against the maximum of 8 in the 'consumer' versions. This is very useful when measuring and calibrating large or oddly shaped rooms where sampling a bigger area of the room can often lead to a more accurate final result.
The extra processing power of the computer Pro runs on is used to analyse the data. One result of that is, unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, different potential crossovers are ranked to optimise the splice with the satellites. Then, once you chose a crossover, again unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, a unique high-pass filter is applied, optimised for that crossover.*

Unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, Pro allows you to save your measurements and then reload them at any time. You can save as many measurement files as your computer has room for (effectively a limitless number) and this can be very useful in allowing the freedom to try different measurements, mic positions etc, without the fear of 'losing forever' a known good calibration. If you dislike the new result, simply reload the previous one. By reloading a measurement file, an existing calibration can be fine-tuned by changing crossover selections and target curves, and by using the Curve Editor.

Audyssey Pro creates a set of graphs (see right) showing the frequency response of each speaker measured in the room before calibration and the predicted result after calibration. The 'before' graphs can (and should) be used to 'measure your current system's performance' especially if you have no other means to do so. To make this easier and faster, you can run the minimum 3 mic position measurements. Another tip to make this easier is to use minimum configurations, ie select only Front Right/Left +Centre Channel to optimise placement of those speakers. Then add the sub(s) to do the sub(s). Once things look good in each respective 'before' graph, start over with all speakers selected and do a full run. The motto here is that the better the placement of speakers prior to running Audyssey Pro, the b etter the result is likely to be after running Audyssey Pro.[*]Audyssey Pro also allows you to tweak the target curves using the Curve Editor. You can initially select from 3 different target curves (see j) x), choose whether to apply Midrange Compensation (see j) x) and finally you can customise your chosen curve using the Curve Editor (see j) x). You can use the same (reloaded) measurement file to create the custom curves - there is no need to re-run the calibration.

*Note that because the high pass filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected.

Thanks to AVS Member SoundOfMind for assistance with this Answer.

AVS Member streetsmart88 has brought to our attention an exception to the above Note:
  • Take the case where MultEQ Pro recommends 'Full-range' or 'Large' for the front speakers (or any speakers).
  • You select a 40 Hz (or any other) crossover. This will optimize the HPF for 40 Hz (etc) but it doesn't change the MultEQ correction filter itself.
  • When you finish the calibration, you can manually switch between 'Large' and 'Small' without being constrained by the rule mentioned above because when you select 'Large', all that happens is that the crossover disappears. The MultEQ correction filter is the same

See Also:
Go back to top.

a)5. Do the results from the Audyssey Pro Kit depend on the version of Audyssey built into my unit?

Yes. Audyssey Pro 'builds on' the result provided by the Audyssey version built into your AVR or AVP. This means that a unit featuring XT will give a superior Pro result than a unit featuring MultEQ, and a unit featuring XT32, in combination with Pro, will give the best result possible. Pro will always improve on the 'base version' but the very best results will always be obtained from a unit which supports XT32.

Go back to top.

a)6. What is the latest version of the Audyssey Pro software and where do I get it?

Audyssey MultEq Pro version 3.6 is the latest version of the software. It can be downloaded, along with several other items and useful setup information from the Installer website by clicking here (Login required).

Go back to top.

a)7. Are there any known bugs in the Audyssey Pro software?

The following issues/bugs are currently listed on Audyssey's Installer website (Login required for access to Installer area):

• .NET framework must be installed to uninstall MultEQ Pro.Cannot load setup from a network drive.
  • MultEQ Pro 3.6 is not compatible with any Windows emulator for Mac OSX (i.e. Parallels or VMware Fusion). Installers who wish to use MultEQ Pro 3.6 on an
  • Apple computer must use Bootcamp.
  • Only IE browser supported for viewing Certificate in Vista 64 bit OS.
  • Loading a measurement file, re-calculating filters and saving the results to the AVR results in incorrect subwoofer distance and level settings. (Workaround: always make a note of the default sub distance and trim settings before re-calculating filters, and set the correct values in the AVR after completing the re-calculation.)
  • On some AVR's, when performing a new Pro calibration, sub distances do not change. (Workaround same as above.)
  • Adding new measurements to existing measurement files is no longer supported by Audyssey for users with dual subs. Audyssey has confirmed the issue, but has reported that a fix is not currently planned. This is because the fix requires more AVR resources than are currently made available for Audyssey use. Note: this issue does not impact single-sub users.
  • Loading a measurement file and re-calculating filters may result in a different priority to the crossover recommendations.

Go back to top.

a)8. Can I extend the Pro mic cable?

The Pro kit comes with three cables suitable for a 75 feet run from the preamp to the mic. However, Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey has confirmed that it is OK to extend the cable even further, up to 100 feet with the addition of a suitable extension cable. For those needing to calibrate very large spaces, or where the equipment is housed in a separate closet or room, this may be welcome news.

Go back to top.

B. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: Things To Consider Before Measuring

b)1. Is there anything I should do to optimise my system prior to Audyssey Pro calibration?

The Audyssey calibration should be the last step in your effort to achieve the best sound in your listening environment. You should not expect a calibration to overcome all the deficiencies of your room and setup, including incorrect speaker placement, unwanted room reflections, etc. You should make a concerted effort to do everything you can to optimise your room and equipment first.

Here is an outline of what you should consider:

Purchase an independent room measuring system. Tools like Room Equalisation Wizard (REW) and OmniMic are relatively inexpensive, somewhat easy to master, and will be extremely valuable in both pre-calibration optimisation, and post-calibration results assessment and adjustments. At an absolute minimum, you should have a sound pressure level meter, like the inexpensive Radio Shack SPL.
Place your speakers carefully - it will have a significant impact on your audio results. A diagram showing Audyssey recommended speaker placement can be seen below. Many basic guidelines can be found, but experiment and measure to determine what is best in your listening area. Some suggestions are given below:

The MLP should be at the 38% distance from the back wall (ideal distance). Front left and right speakers should be placed significantly away from the front wall if possible and if your speaker manufacturer recommends this.

Experiment with aiming monopole speakers directly at the MLP. For the front left and right speakers, this means “toe-ing in” the speakers. For the center speaker, this means making sure it is angled up (or down) to point directly at the MLP. Consult your speaker manufacturer’s recommendations regarding whether, and how much, to toe-in.

For multiple subwoofers, consider gain matching the subs before selecting the proper room location. The gain matching procedure is described here.
Find the optimum location for each of your subs. There are various well-documented procedures regarding where to locate the subs (e.g. the so-called 'sub crawl'). This step, as well as the gain-matching step, requires measurement tools as described in tip #1 above.

Certain types of furniture cause unwanted reflections, and can skew the results of the Audyssey calibration. For example, a glass-topped coffee table between the MLP and the front speakers can negatively impact the calibration. Consider permanently re-locating or removing furniture that might cause bad results.
Hard surfaces in the listening room can cause unwanted reflections as well. A number of web sites have dedicated discussion threads dealing with how to measure and correct room deficiencies using various treatments. Analysing room effects is an advanced topic, and also requires measurement tools. However, expending the time to analyse your listening room and attempting to correct its faults will provide significant rewards in terms of an improved listening experience.

Do not move any furniture out of the way before the calibration, if you intend to return the furniture after the calibration has completed. The calibration should be performed with everything in its place. You can, however, address hard-surfaced, reflective items (e.g. a leather sofa or easy chair) by covering them with something like a soft blanket prior to the calibration.

Before starting the calibration, sit in the MLP (if it is a reclining seat, recline to your most-used position), and carefully measure the distance from the floor to your ears. This is the 'ear-level' setting you will use to adjust the calibration mic’s height.[*]Also prior to the calibration, minimise (within reason) any ambient noise that might influence the calibration measurements. This includes turning off the HVAC system, ceiling fans, and other appliances that might be causing a measurable noise level. It is normally best to schedule a calibration when interruptions from other household members can be avoided.

You are now ready to start your Audyssey Pro calibration. Good luck!

Thanks to AVS Member AustinJerry for assistance with this Answer.

Further Reading:
  • Room EQ Wizard home page
  • Dayton Audio OmniMic home page
  • Where to buy OmniMic plus lots of information
  • XTZ Room Analyser home page

Go back to top.

b)2. Can I use the Audyssey Pro Kit to help set up my system prior to calibration?

Although many Pro Kit users own and recommend an independent measuring system such as XTZ, OmniMic, REW, etc, here are some comments on using Pro to measure your system.

A tip direct from Luke at Audyssey: One can optimize the speakers, subs, acoustic treatments, etc. using the Pro kit by comparing the 'Before' graphs from successive runs.

To make things go faster for subs, unselect all but Front Right/Left and Centre Channel, and run only 3 mic positions before calculating; then just view 'Draft' results without loading the filters to the AVR.

The Pro 'Before' graphs can be quite useful as a measuring tool but has limitations. Here's how AVS Member SoundOfMind sees it:

The cons of Pro as your measuring system:

• It has no real-time capability and is much slower displaying results (measure minimum 3 mic positions, calculating, upload data, download graph, etc). A sub placement exercise ('a measured sub haul') could be quite tedious.
  • It only measures Frequency Response and displays a simple graph. No waterfalls, decay, etc.

The pros of Pro as your measuring system:

• You are seeing the summed response from at least 3 spots in a way far more reflective of the data Pro will actually be processing.
  • No additional cost.
  • The measurements are already part of running Pro so no additional connections are required.

See Also:
Go back to top.

b)3. Gain-Matching subwoofers - Why and How?

Why gain-match multiple subs? A sub’s output is influenced by its position in the listening room. When one of the subs is reinforced by the room differently, (either due to different modal reinforcement or due to different proximity to the listening/measuring position, or both), gain-matching is beneficial.

For example, if one sub has a big peak in its response, and the other sub has a big null, their 'levels' will be set differently because their 'average' levels will measure differently. Similarly, when you place two subs in your listening room, each sub’s output depends on its position relative to the MLP. So, if you place a measuring tool at the MLP and adjust each sub’s gain so that the level at the MLP reads 75dB, you will find that the gain is set higher on one of the subs in order to achieve the 75dB level. If these disparities in gain are large enough, you can have a situation where the higher-set sub is driven harder and will get into compression/distortion before the lower-set sub. When you play bass-heavy content at loud levels, the sub with the higher gain setting has less headroom than the other sub, and will reach clipping at a lower volume level. This limits system headroom and can potentially endanger the higher-set sub.

In a system with 3dB to 6dB, (or greater), of disparity in the level settings of the subs, there can be a significant benefit to gain-matching. Remember that 3dB equals a doubling of power requirement AND driver excursion. 6dB equals four times the power and excursion. Why make one sub work four times harder than the other? They are identical subs; they should both drive the same power into the room.

By gain-matching the subs prior to placing them in the listening room, you ensure that each sub has the same headroom as the other. This will allow you to drive the combined subs at a higher volume level before experiencing clipping.

Here is how to gain-match subs:

1. Pick a spot in the center of your room away from the walls.
  2. Move the first sub to that spot, and connect the audio and power cables.
  3. Place a SPL meter immediately in front of the sub's cone, at a distance of 1-2 inches, centered on the cone (using a tripod or boom stand facilitates accurate placement).
  4. Mark the position of the sub on the floor (using masking tape is a good way).
  5. Run the sub channel level-setting tone from the AVR and adjust the sub's gain to the desired level. What is the desired level? The objective is to set the level such that when you run the level-matching step in the Audyssey Pro calibration, the sub level reads close to 75dB without any adjustment (plus or minus 3-5 dB is close enough). It might take a bit of trial-and-error until you find the correct gain setting (try 90dB as a starting point).
  6. Being very careful not to disturb the SPL meter's position, remove the first sub and replace it with the second sub. Make sure the second sub is lined up exactly as the first sub with respect to the SPL.
  7. Running the AVR test tone, adjust the second sub's gain to match the first sub's gain (e.g. 90 dB).
  8. Repeat for any additional subs.
  9. Place the subs back in the position you want them to be in.
  10. Run the Audyssey Pro calibration.
  11. On the level-matching screen, simply accept whatever levels have been set in step 5 above, ignoring the 'Not all subwoofers have passed testing' warning message in the event the levels are out of range.
  12. When the calibration has completed, observe what trim level Audyssey sets in the AVR for the sub channels. Ideally, it should be in the -3dB to +3 dB range. If it is too far towards either limit, go back to step 5 and use either a lower or higher target gain level, depending on your final results.
  13. If the trim levels set by Audyssey are different for the two subs, then they are no longer gain-matched. To re-establish the gain-matched status, take 1/2 of the difference in trim levels, add it to the sub with lowest trim, and subtract it from the highest sub trim. Now the subs are gain-matched once again.

Note: Gain-matching works best on identical (or substantially identical - see below) subs, and may not produce the desired results for unmatched subs.

Gain-matching dissimilar subs will not provide the system headroom optimisation, or the protection for the 'less capable' sub, that it provides for identical subs. When one gain-matches dissimilar subs, they'll remain gain-matched all the way up to the point that the less capable sub starts to compress/distort. Then one of two things will happen: 1. The 'stronger' sub will be held back to this point, or; 2. The less capable sub will be driven beyond the point of compression/distortion, and it could be damaged.

However, note that we refer to 'dissimilar' subs which is not the same as 'not identical'. It is important to consider the extent of the mismatch and in this regard one needs to consider three things:

1. The F3 of each sub.
  2. The maximum output of each sub at the F3.
  3. The roll-off of each sub below F3.

If all 3 of these parameters are substantially similar, then the subs are similar enough that gain-matching could be useful. If any one of these parameters is significantly dissimilar, then some other strategy for setting the gains should be used.

If the subs are significantly dissimilar, there is probably no scenario in which level-matching would be appropriate, especially if system headroom, LF extension or 'less capable' sub protection are concerns.

Thanks to AVS Members Craig John and Pepar for assistance with this Answer.

See Also:
Go back to top.

The mic calibration file is on your CD along with the Pro software. Initially, it is important to install the software from the disc: this will automatically put everything in its proper place including the calibration file.

Then go to the Audyssey installer website, create an account and then download the latest version of the software. Install that over the version off the CD. If you have an AVR that uses the USB-to-Serial connection, download and install the Serial-to-USB driver (see j)10). That's all you need to do on the PC side.

Then go back to the Audyssey installer website, log in and buy a licence for your unit. You will find your specific AVR/AVP in the list - make sure you buy the licence for the unit you own! It will cost you $150. This is a one-time fee and licences your unit for ever. You will also need the serial number or the MAC address of your AVR/AVP to complete the license purchase (make sure you enter this information very carefully because the licence key will not work if it finds a mismatch with your AVR/AVP’s information.) You will then see that a 'licence key' has been generated. These last for one month and are free to regenerate if the current one expires and you need to run Pro again (after the month is up). You can regenerate a key at any time. The Pro software will ask you for the key before you can proceed to the calibration so make sure you have copied it to the PC you use for the calibration.

See Also:
Go back to top.

b)5. How do I connect the Audyssey Pro Kit to my AVR or AVP?

There are specific instructions in the Pro software, down the left hand side, geared to the AVR or AVP you have selected for use with Pro. AVR-specific user guide PDF’s are also downloadable from the Audyssey Installer web site. Below are more detailed instructions for the two most popular makes of AVR/AVP.

For Denon:

1. Connect the Calibrated Preamplifier “LINE OUT” cable to the Denon receiver's front panel 'V.AUX' Left channel audio input.
  2. Using the supplied USB-to-Serial cable, connect the Serial connector to the RS-232 connector on the back of the AVR. Insert the USB end of the cable into an available USB port on your computer. Note: In order to use the USB-to-serial cable on a Windows computer, you must download and install the 'USB-Serial Converter Driver for Windows'. This driver is available for download on the Audyssey Installer web site on the Downloads page, and is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions.
  3. Press the 'Measure' button to begin room measurements.
  4. After having taken all the mic position readings you wish (up to 32), immediately disconnect the mic from the 'V.AUX' Left channel audio input on the Denon receiver.
  5. Before proceeding to the next step (filter calculation), remember to save your measurements!
  6. After filter calculation, select the desired crossover settings, finalise the filters, and transfer the filters to the Denon receiver by clicking the 'Save Permanently to <AVR>' button.

Note: On some Windows computers, the USB-serial connection will time out after a period of inactivity (several minutes). If a timeout occurs, you will get a 'Communications timeout error' message. To restore the USB-serial connection, simply unplug the USB cable from the computer, plug it right back in, and proceed with the calibration.

For Onkyo 5509/Integra 80.3:

The software has a step by step guide on the left side as you use it - but beware - in the case of the Onkyo 5509 at least, it tells you to connect the preamp to the AVP by using the AUX phono input on the back whereas in fact you have to use the left channel PC input.

1. Connect the Calibrated Preamp output to the left PC input on the back of the AVP. Note: Some users whose equipment is not easily accessible from the rear leave this cable permanently connected to the AVP for ease of future calibration runs.
  2. Then connect an Ethernet cable from the AVP to the router.
  3. A second Ethernet cable connects the router to the laptop.
  4. The mic cable connects to the preamp-in and, of course, to the mic.
  5. Then plug the power connector into the preamp and a light comes on to tell you it's working.
  6. Press the 'Measure' button to begin room measurements.
  7. After having taken all the mic position readings you wish (up to 32), immediately disconnect the mic from the PC Left channel audio input on the Onkyo/Integra receiver or from the pre-amp (if you are leaving the cable permanently connected to your AVP).
  8. Before proceeding to the next step (filter calculation), remember to save your measurements!
  9. After filter calculation, select the desired crossover settings, finalise the filters, and transfer the filters to the Onkyo?Integra receiver by clicking the 'Save Permanently to <AVR>' button.
It may be a different procedure for your specific AVP - if you tell us the make and model someone will have the same unit and give you a heads up. Some AVPs, for example, use the serial connector instead of the Ethernet.

Once you are all hooked up, run the Pro software, enter the info it asks for and check the left side of each page of the software for detailed instructions.

Special note for Denon owners: how to get around the limitations of the length of the supplied USB-serial cable.

One problem with the USB-to-serial interface is that the laptop must be within the cable distance of the AVR during the calibration (I believe the cable is 8 ft). This can make a calibration somewhat uncomfortable, because you need to stand still and out of the way during the measurements. Here are several different techniques which can get around this problem, as put forward by various AVS Members...

• Member AustinJerry says: "I place the laptop on top of my equipment rack, connect the cable, and then walk into my study, which is next door to the listening room. I have a Windows workstation in the study, and I simply launch Windows Remote Desktop on the workstation and run the calibration remotely. When a measurement finishes, I walk next door, move the mic, and return to the comfort of my desk in the study."
  • Member sdrucker says: "I have GotomyPC on my laptop, mostly for synching between home and the office. Doing something similar with a laptop and an iPad with the GotomyPC app should work similarly. I usually run to the sidelines once I go to the next measurement, but a remote run eliminates any inadvertent reflections from the user."
  • Member Hugo S says: "Personally I use 2 additional active USB 5m. long cables, which enable the laptop to be taken out of the room."
  • Member SoundofMind says: "How about this Blue-rigger active extension cable?"
  • Member IceTBC says: "That's also what I've always used although I purchased what looks like the same cable from monoprice.com. Works like a charm allowing me to set up my laptop 25 feet from my 4311".

See Also:
Go back to top.

b)6. Do I need to fill in all the data on the first several screens of the Audyssey Pro software?

Completing information on the 'Job Information', 'Room Dimensions', and 'Equipment Info' screens is optional, and is meant more for custom installers. You should verify that the microphone serial number on the 'Options' screen is indeed the microphone that came with your kit. The 'Zone Configuration' screen is extremely important, because it determines which speakers the Audyssey Pro software will include in the calibration. Make speaker selections according to your configuration. (Note: if you have configured your speakers in the AVR/AVP prior to running Audyssey Pro, the configuration should already be loaded on this screen. If you have two subwoofers, the subwoofer setting must be configured in the AVR/AVP prior to starting Audyssey Pro, because it is not configurable on this screen.)

Go back to top.

b)7. If I use the Audyssey Pro kit, can I forget about room treatments?

The simple answer to this is 'No'. In an ideal world, we would position our speakers - and especially our subwoofers - in the perfect position for optimizing the sound quality in our rooms; we would also apply room treatments and bass traps wherever they were needed to tame reflections and room modes. However, in reality, we usually have to compromise to satisfy aesthetic demands or those of our patient wives, girlfriends or partners. Many of us have to share our major living space with our home theatres and few are lucky enough to have dedicated cinema rooms. This is why electronic EQ was invented!

But as good as electronic EQ is, it is no substitute for room treatments and optimum speaker and sub placement. If you can get the room right before you run Audyssey, then you will enjoy an even better calibration as a result. Have a look at the 'Further Reading' links at the end of this answer for more information on understanding and improving your room.

What kind of problems can my room cause?

The listening room is arguably the most important component in your system because of the way it affects sound - at least as important as speakers, electronics, sources and cables - yet the listening room is often the most neglected component. All speakers interact with the room and create everything from boomy-sounding bass to shrill sounding highs.
  • Room reflections are caused by sound, mostly high frequencies, reflecting off adjacent walls and combining with the direct sounds you hear from the speakers. In most cases, you hear more reflected than direct sounds. The reflected sounds reach your ears milliseconds later than the direct sounds because they travel a longer distance. In general, unwanted sound reflections have the potential to degrade imaging, sound staging and the overall tonal quality, important characteristics of a good sound system. A simple way to locate the reflection points in your room is to have a friend hold a small mirror against the wall while you are seated in your Main Listening Position. Have the friend move the mirror around the wall until you can see the speaker in the mirror. The location of the mirror is a reflection point.
  • Room resonances are sound waves generated by the speakers from 20Hz to about 300Hz. The frequency of the resonances are based on the dimensions (length, width and height) of the listening room. A room resonance either reinforces or attenuates bass frequencies and the most common symptom is heavy or muddy bass, or conversely, thin, weak bass. A typical room will have boomy bass somewhere between 50Hz and 70Hz. There is an easy way to identify the resonances in your room using a room acoustics calculator. Clicking on the link below will download such a calculator as an Excel file. Enter the dimensions of your room (height, width and length) and the calculator will determine the problem frequencies. Correct speaker placement can help prevent or control many of these problems. Room acoustic treatments are another step towards creating a good listening room with great sound.

So what can room treatments do that electronic EQ can't?

There are various ways in which room treatments can help solve problems which electronic EQ systems might struggle with. For example, nulls in a room are at least as damaging as peaks, and there are many deep nulls that EQ cannot improve by much if at all. Applying enough EQ boost in an attempt to counter a typical null that's 20 to 30 dB deep will just overload your power amp and likely blow up your loudspeakers. Fortunately, you will be pleased to learn that Audyssey is aware of this and takes steps to prevent it happening! Audyssey never attempts to make corrections below the -3dB roll off of any speaker it examines during the measuring phase. In other words, if Audyssey detects that your speaker or sub response is 3dB down at, say, 20 Hz (in the case of a sub) then it will apply no further correction below that point. Audyssey also limits the amount of boost it can apply to any null, for similar reasons. So while it is relatively easy to tame peaks by cutting them down, it is much harder to correct for nulls. In these circumstances, optimising speaker placement and using treatments and bass traps are much more likely to smooth out any deep nulls in your room. If you can achieve this prior to running Audyssey you make it much easier for Audyssey to give you a superb calibration - the icing on the cake if you will.

Similarly, bass traps will always improve the sound for all locations in the room, whereas electronic EQ systems invariably have to compromise in order to achieve a reasonable response across multiple seat locations.

In conclusion.

Audyssey will do a superb job of improving the sound degradation which all rooms cause. Audyssey helps us get great sound in normal living rooms where treatments and bass traps are difficult to use for aesthetic reasons. But, if you can, applying room treatments will help Audyssey do an even better job. And placing your speakers and your subwoofer(s) in or close to their ideal locations is something that many of us can do fairly easily - also helping Audyssey work even better for you.

(Thanks to About.com for the information on room reflections and room resonances in this answer)

Further Reading:
Go back to top.

C. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: Things To Consider When Calibrating

c)1. How do I use the subwoofer level-matching screen?

It is important that the level of your sub(s) be reasonably close to 75dB before you proceed with the calibration. When you click the 'Measure' button, adjust the gain control on your sub so that the displayed level is as close to 75dB as possible. Click 'Next' to measure a second sub, if you have one. When you are finished setting the sub gains, proceed to the next screen. If you receive a message stating 'Not all subwoofers have passed testing', you can choose to return to the level-matching screen to fine-tune the gains, or you can ignore the message and continue.

There are two situations in which you might choose to ignore the message:
  1. You are re-loading a measurement file from a previous calibration in order to make changes, in which case you needn't re-do the sub level-matching step.
  2. You have 'gain-matched' multiple subs prior to starting the calibration, and want to preserve the gain-matched settings. (If you gain-matched properly, the sub levels should be reading close to 75dB without any adjustments.)

See Also:
Go back to top.

c)2. How do I edit the target curve, and why would I want to?

When you have completed your measurements, click on Save Measurements. Enter a descriptive file name that identifies the calibration. It is possible/likely that you could generate multiple measurement data files that you load and reload as you use your system. Some users have retractable screens, alternate surround arrays, etc, that need individual and unique Audyssey calibrations. This generates an AMD file.

MultEQ Pro allows for editing of the target curve. This is another reason to save the measurements; you can experiment with different custom target curves. To customise the target curve, click on the 'Design' button on the Target Sound Options screen. This should be done after selecting which of the various base roll off curves you have decided to use. The Target Curve Designer screen will appear. Press the 'Add New' button at the lower left corner of the window. The first edit will appear as 'filter1.csv'. Click the Edit button (to the right of 'filter1.csv' below) to begin editing. The Target Curve Editor will appear. The blue line represents your current edits. The red line shows how the target curve is affected by the current edits. The adjustments/offsets you make will take the form of 'grips'. Grips appear as blue squares on the blue line, or green when highlighted.

There are two methods for adding grips. The first is using your mouse. The second is by manually typing in where you want to place a grip using the text entry boxes at the bottom left corner of the Target Curve Editor window.

To adjust a grip through text entry, right click on the grip and select Enter Point Values. The frequency cell at the left bottom of the screen becomes highlighted and is ready for you to manually type in the exact desired frequency you wish the grip to be located at. Press the tab key to highlight the next cell on the right (or left-click in that cell). Enter the gain you wish to use (+3.0 dB to -3.0 dB) and press Enter. The grip will move to the new location you entered. To complete your edit, click the OK key at the bottom right corner of the window. The grip then appears in the graph above. Two grips are already present at each side of the graph by default. These two grips can never be moved horizontally, or deleted. However, they can be raised and lowered. Or to delete your edits, press the Cancel button adjacent. The Target Curve Editor window will close.

Additional grips can be placed along the blue line by simply left clicking on, above, or below the blue line. Grips can be placed within the graph from +3 dB to -3 dB from 0. This area is highlighted below. If you place the grip outside of this range, it will be created at the nearest allowed range at the frequency in line with where your cursor is located. Be sure to save your work when you have a target curve you want to try. This generates a CSV file.

Saving Your Work.

If you have accepted the edits by previously pressing the OK button, you may now assign them to one or more channels using the radio buttons to the right of the edit you created. Each channel here corresponds to the channels you selected at the Zone Configuration screen. Be sure to be aware which edits you assign to which channels. The Save button becomes available after accepting edits. Click the Save button (alongside the latest accepted Edit) to save this edit as a .csv file.

The Save As window launches. The save location defaults to the “My Documents\Audyssey\Measurements” folder of your computer but may be saved to the location of your choosing as shown above. It is advisable to change the name of the file so that you will remember the purpose of your edit. You may load any saved csv file while viewing the Target Curve Designer window and pressing the “Load…” button. This same folder will be launched.

There is a third way to edit the Target Curve that involves editing the CSV file, but it is recommended that you post your question on the Audyssey Installer thread for that information.

Thanks to AVS Member pepar and to Audyssey for assistance with this Answer.

See Also:
Go back to top.

c)3. How do I use the 'Target Sound Options'?

1. Choose an Audyssey target curve from the “Target Curve“ menu.
  2. The Audyssey target curves are based on the size and absorptive characteristics of the room.
  3. The High Frequency Roll-off 1 introduces a slight roll-off at high frequencies that accounts for the balance between direct and reflected sound for small to medium size rooms (room volume less than 2500 cu. ft.)
  4. The High Frequency Roll-off 2 introduces a slightly greater roll-off at high frequencies that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound for medium to large size rooms (room volume between 2500 and 5000 cu. ft.)
  5. The SMPTE 202M curve is an international standard for the high frequency roll-off applied in a typical 500-seat movie theater. It is appropriate for professional mixing spaces and dubbing stages that must be calibrated for film sound postproduction. It can also be used in extremely large playback spaces (room volume greater than 5000 cu. ft.)
  6. It is recommended that you engage the ‘Midrange Compensation’ option for your first listening test (this is selected by default). Midrange compensation is sometimes necessary to correct for the directivity differences that often occur in that frequency range due to the crossover circuitry or horn-loaded speakers. You can later return to this screen and disengage this option if you prefer.
  7. Press the 'Design' button to launch the Target Curve Designer.

Go back to top.

c)4. What is Mid-range Compensation and should I enable or disable it?

Chris Kyriakakis, CTO of Audyssey, describes it like this:

"Midrange compensation is an intentional dip in the 2 kHz region where the vast majority of tweeter-to-midrange crossovers are. In that region the tweeter is at the low end of its range and the midrange at the high end of its range and the directivity of the speaker goes through major changes. We found that if that region is equalized to flat, the change in direct to reflected ratio that happens because of the directivity variations causes voices to sound harsh (among other things). So, we have this implemented in the Audyssey target curve. With MultEQ Pro you can choose to turn it off, but we don't recommend it. This notion was observed 40 years ago by BBC speaker designers in their studio monitors. They designed their speakers with this "BBC dip" intentionally in the speaker response."

See user comments on Chris's description here: Midrange Compensation Comments.

Some users find that removing mid-range compensation gives them better results; others find the exact opposite. Bottom line: with Audyssey Pro it is easy to reload the measurement file and try it both ways in your own room before settling on what suits you best.

See Also:
Go back to top.

c)5. Why is saving measurements important, and how do I do it?

There are two critical 'Save' steps you should get in the habit of doing each time you run a calibration.

The first one is at the end of the measurements section, immediately before you click 'next' to run the filter calculations. You should click on the 'Save Measurements' button, which creates a file on your local hard drive in case you need to tweak the calibration results in the future.

The second save step is saving the certificate. Uploading the certificate is an optional step, really meant for professional installers. After you have completed the step in the Audyssey Pro calibration that transfers the filters to the AVR/AVP, there is a button on the web page called 'View Certificate'. When you click on the button, the certificate is displayed in a browser window, from which you can save the certificate to your local hard drive (Click File/Save As on your browser toolbar), should you need to view it at a future time.

See Also:
Go back to top.

c)6. What are the final calibration steps?

Remember the most important step at the end of the calibration is to transfer the results to your AVR/AVP by clicking the 'Save permanently to <AVR>' button! After the transfer of the filters to the AVR’s flash memory completes, the Pro splash screen on the AVR will go away, returning the AVR to its ready state. The Audyssey Pro software has two additional screens that allow for configuring Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, which can be bypassed, since these settings are readily configurable in your AVR’s menu after the calibration has completed.

After you have transferred the calibration results to the AVR, take a moment to save the distance and trim settings that have been set up in the AVR. (This is to protect you from a current bug in the Pro software that affects the sub distance and trim settings when re-loading a saved measurement file). A simple way to do this is to take a photo of the trim and distance screens in the AVR's menu.

Best practice:
  • Create a subdirectory on your calibration PC called 'Audyssey Pro Calibrations'.
  • In this subdirectory, create additional subdirectories for each Pro calibration that you run, and name the subdirectories 'Calibration MM-DD-YY' (or 'DD-MM-YY' if outside the USA).
  • In each date-specific calibration subdirectory, save 1) the Pro measurements file, 2) the Pro certificate, 3) the AVR distance and trim settings after the calibration has completed, and 4) a simple text file explaining what changed for this calibration (a very important step). Additionally, if you run post-calibration measurements with REW or Omni-mic, save the results in this folder as well.

Go back to top.

c)7. I'm having trouble using the gooseneck mic holder - any tips?

It's important to keep the mic pointing directly up towards the ceiling, but the goose-neck microphone holder has a tendency to sag und er the combined weight of the microphone and its cable, causing the microphone to sag. One way to remedy this is to use a short piece of tape. Using the tape, secure the microphone cable to the arm of the boom several inches from where the holder is screwed in. This supports the weight of the cable and acts like a stress-relief for the microphone holder, thus keeping the microphone pointed directly towards the ceiling. The photo alongside explains this more clearly.

Go back to top.

D. Audyssey Pro Installer Kit: Post-Calibration Considerations

d)1. Post-calibration suggestions (optional)

If you have followed all of the advice in the Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and this dedicated Audyssey Pro FAQ, you will now have an excellent calibration and be experiencing probably the best sound you have ever heard in your Home Theatre. However, there is no need to stop there, especially if you have independent measuring equipment such as REW or OmniMic. The following suggestions are purely that: suggestions. If you decide to adopt any or all of them, you will find it is the icing on the cake of an already great calibration.

• Review the Calibration certificate for anomalies. Are there any unexpected peaks or dips in any of the "after" graphs.
  • In the AVR, check the default post-calibrations settings, paying close attention to speaker distances, levels, and crossover settings. Do all the settings look as expected?
  • Set DEQ and Reference Level Offsets to the desired values.
  • Remember to name the saved calibration file with a file name that clearly identifies it as the latest calibration measurement file, to distinguish it from other saved measurement files (e.g. Configuration_mm-dd-yyyy.dat).
  • Using a measurement tool (e.g. a SPL meter), check the levels of each speaker using the AVR's speaker level test tones. The relative level of each speaker should be the same, within approximately one dB. The absolute level may not be exactly 75dB, but that could be a SPL meter issue - it's the relative level that will affect your sound.
  • Using a measurement tool, run frequency sweeps (20Hz to 20,000 Hz, with Audyssey on and DEQ off) at each of the Audyssey calibration measurement points, average the measurement results, and analyse the averaged curve. Are there any severe peaks or dips? (Note: this test requires a measurement tool with a calibrated microphone - an SPL meter will not provide accurate results.) Using the measurements from the previous step, pay close attention to the frequency response immediately below and above the subwoofer crossover frequency. If the response is uneven, the response might be able to be improved by adjusting the distance settings for the sub(s). For detailed explanation of the procedure, illustrated with 'example;' graphs, download this PDF Guide: Audyssey Sub Distance Tweak Procedure.pdf 1,121k .pdf file
  • By reloading the saved measurement file, experiment with different crossover values, different target curves, different settings for midrange compensation, and even the curve editor. Which settings provide the most pleasing results? (Note: If you are using a Denon receiver, consider using the web tool to save the AVR configuration for each of your experiments - a saved configuration file allows for a quicker comparison among various options.)

Further Reading:
  • Room EQ Wizard home page
  • Dayton Audio OmniMic home page
  • Where to buy OmniMic plus lots of information
  • XTZ Room Analyser home page

Go back to top.

d)2. Why do I need to write down the sub level and distance settings?

When doing a 'fresh' calibration, i.e. with mic and the sub level matching screen, sub distance and level settings should be written and saved for possible future use. This is important because sub distance and level settings are not stored in AMD files. This is due to AVR/processor architecture issues. So, it is not a bug and will not (ever) be 'fixed'.

If you wish to change the calibration by reloading the AMD file and making adjustments, the only way to restore the correct settings for sub distance and level is to refer to the notes you made at the time of the 'fresh' calibration.

Go back to top.

d)3. How useful are the Pro Certificates?

After your Audyssey measuring and calibration run is completed, you have the option to create and save or print out the Pro Certificate - a set of graphs which purport to show the 'before' and 'after' frequency response of the system.

The first thing to be aware of is that these graphs are not measurements but predictions, based on the filters that Audyssey has created. They can be no more than predictions, of course, because Audyssey Pro takes no measurements of the system post-calibration. Consequently, it is probably unwise to use the Certificates in any sort of 'scientific' way but rather treat them as a simple visual representation of what Audyssey's calculated filters ought to do to the frequency response of your system in your room.

Chris Kyriakakis, CTO of Audyssey, has confirmed this when he posted in the Audyssey Tech Talk Group on Facebook:

"The graphs in MultEQ Pro (all versions) were never intended to be a "scientific" tool. More of "flatter is better" visual. So they are 1/3 octave smoothed. The calculations and filters are of course done at much much higher resolution."

This also raises the issue of the smoothing of the graphs and how useful 1/3 octave smoothed graphs really are.

As AVS Member Steven Lansing has pointed out in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread:

"The audio industry has used that type of smoothing for years. 1/3 smoothing is used by many speaker manufacturers to show their frequency response. It was usually believed that 1/3 smoothing corresponded closely to how the human ear would interpret the overall sound balance. I think that's one of the main reasons that Audyssey uses that type of smoothing. The graphs are supposed to give a graphic interpretation of how the overall sound balance will be perceived. It's not really a measurement tool graph that's meant to show an accurate high resolution measure of the room response, just an indication of the overall sound balance based on the target curve." (Click here to see the original post.)

It is interesting to note that the old, discontinued Audyssey standalone Sub Equalizer used 1/6th smoothing for the 'after' graphs'.

AVS Member sdrucker makes the following relevant observations in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread, especially with regard to the importance of independent measuring:

"I will say this as well: if the standalone Sub Equalizer had 'after' charts at 1/6th smoothing for a sub-only response, why would later Pro software with XT32 (i.e. the most advanced version of Audyssey Pro in conjunction with MultiEQ XT32, which has Sub EQ HT implemented as a feature typically) reduce the resolution to 1/3rd for not only the subwoofer channel, but also show plots at 1/3rd smoothing for the mains? I find that a step backward if that's actually the truth.

"Regardless, the key learning is that the 'after' graphs generated by Pro aren't sufficient by themselves to access the results of a calibration. Charts with higher resolution (1/6th or 1/12th) on full-range speaker plots from actual post-calibration measurement rather than predicted results, subwoofer/bass response plots at no smoothing < 300 Hz, evalulating joint speaker/sub response, as well as other graphing such as waterfalls, impulse response, and ETC are ultimately much more useful tools to know what Audyssey AND Audyssey Pro are doing." (Click here to see the original post.)

An example of an Audyssey Pro Certificate is shown below (click to enlarge).

Go back to top.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audyssey Sub Distance Tweak Procedure.pdf (1.09 MB, 152 views)
IcetomLT and mattsplat like this.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 02-20-2015 at 05:02 AM.
post #3049 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I now realise that there is a post-length limitation at AVS and consequently I cannot add the Pro section to the original Audyssey FAQ as I intended.

I will therefore post the Pro FAQ as a separate FAQ in the Pro Installer Kit Thread. It may be that it is more appropriate anyway to keep them separate and each in their respective threads, although it will make maintenance slightly more difficult. It is probably safe to assume that anyone buying a Pro kit already has a good grounding in Audyssey MultEQ anyway, so perhaps the 'consumer' version of the FAQ is best kept separate. 

+1

Maybe have a Q&A in the consumer FAQ that points to the Pro thread and/or Pro FAQ?

post #3050 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I now realise that there is a post-length limitation at AVS and consequently I cannot add the Pro section to the original Audyssey FAQ as I intended.

+1

Maybe have a Q&A in the consumer FAQ that points to the Pro thread and/or Pro FAQ?

Good idea. Already done it for the consumer FAQ (now renamed the Audyssey MultEQ FAQ). Will do it for this one later. Using the AVS editor for long, formatted text with hyperlinks is an effective form of torture and I need a break from it ;)  I much preferred the old BB Code editor.

post #3051 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Wireless member

Pre-5508/80.2 Onks/Integras used the USB-to-serial adapter. And I seem to remember having to chase down the correct drivers for 64-bit Win 7. It's been a while, so maybe Audyssey's site is up to date on them.

post #3052 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Pre-5508/80.2 Onks/Integras used the USB-to-serial adapter. And I seem to remember having to chase down the correct drivers for 64-bit Win 7. It's been a while, so maybe Audyssey's site is up to date on them.

Do all current Onk/Ints use the PC Left input round the back, like mine does?  I only know about the 5509/80.3 which is why the FAQ is limited to that model currently. If other users with older units let me know how to connect them up I will add it - this is one of the most confusing areas for me when I bought my Pro Kit. I had to ask an expert ;)

post #3053 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Wireless member

I think it is safe to say that the 885/886/9.8/9.9 use serial and 5508/5509/80.2/80.3 use ethernet. There was an 80.1 in there but I forget how it lined up against Onk's. Also, the interface pull down selection varies with the unit with the 5508/80.2 needing one that does not contain the model number while the 80.3 DOES contain the model number.

Re the mic connection, I *seem* to remember the 885 used a front panel AUX input when I first got it, but a subsequent firmware/MultEQ Pro version switched it to a rear AUX connection.

Jeff

post #3054 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I think it is safe to say that the 885/886/9.8/9.9 use serial and 5508/5509/80.2/80.3 use ethernet. There was an 80.1 in there but I forget how it lined up against Onk's. Also, the interface pull down selection varies with the unit with the 5508/80.2 needing one that does not contain the model number while the 80.3 DOES contain the model number.

Re the mic connection, I *seem* to remember the 885 used a front panel AUX input when I first got it, but a subsequent firmware/MultEQ Pro version switched it to a rear AUX connection.

Jeff

Blimey guv... it's a nightmare... I'll see if I can distill that into something that might work in the FAQ. Thanks!  Just remembered - the pdfs on the Installer website might be useful - I'll download them and have a shufty... strike a light, mate, I've come over all Limey :)

post #3055 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Wireless member

PDFs on website won't help as they stop at 885/886/9.8/9.9. From then on, the in-software instructions pick up the ball.

post #3056 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Blimey guv... it's a nightmare... I'll see if I can distill that into something that might work in the FAQ.

You'll need a bloody chart.

Jeff

post #3057 of 6386 Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keith, in item 4a)3*, you state that:

"Note that because the filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected."

Firstly, I think it should read as follows:

"Note that because the high-pass filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected."

Nonetheless, I have been thinking that there is one instance when this general rule does not apply:

1. MultEQ Pro recommends "Full-range" for the front speakers (or any speakers).
2. You select a 40 Hz (or whatever other else) crossover. This will optimize the HPF for 40 Hz but it doesn't change the MultEQ correction filter itself.
3. When you finish the calibration, you can manually switch between "Large" and "Small" without being constrained by the rule you mentioned above because when you select "Large", all that happens is that the crossover disappears. The MultEQ correction filter is the same.

Actually, in this case, you are not changing crossovers. You are actually removing the crossover, including the optimized high-pass filter and replacing it with nothing.

What do you think?

Mark
post #3058 of 6386 Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:

PDFs on website won't help as they stop at 885/886/9.8/9.9. From then on, the in-software instructions pick up the ball.

Darn! And the in-software instructions aren't reliable. (For my 5509 it tells me to connect to the AUX input not the Left PC Input).

post #3059 of 6386 Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Blimey guv... it's a nightmare... I'll see if I can distill that into something that might work in the FAQ.

You'll need a bloody chart.

Jeff

We can do charts! :)  Maybe I'll leave it to a sentence that says "if your unit is not covered above, please ask in the thread" :)

post #3060 of 6386 Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Keith, in item 4a)3*, you state that:

"Note that because the filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected."

Firstly, I think it should read as follows:

"Note that because the high-pass filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected."

Nonetheless, I have been thinking that there is one instance when this general rule does not apply:

1. MultEQ Pro recommends "Full-range" for the front speakers (or any speakers).
2. You select a 40 Hz (or whatever other else) crossover. This will optimize the HPF for 40 Hz but it doesn't change the MultEQ correction filter itself.
3. When you finish the calibration, you can manually switch between "Large" and "Small" without being constrained by the rule you mentioned above because when you select "Large", all that happens is that the crossover disappears. The MultEQ correction filter is the same.

Actually, in this case, you are not changing crossovers. You are actually removing the crossover, including the optimized high-pass filter and replacing it with nothing.

What do you think?

Mark

Thanks Mark. I am not sure what I think ;)  Although what you say makes sense. If someone else can chime in and comment one way or another I will modify the Answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page