"Offical" Yamaha RX-A810 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 107 Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM
gce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1560 View Post

I am having a tough time deciding between the A810 and the A1000.

Drawbacks of the A1000 are -
1. USB port does not work with ipod/iphone.
2. It does not upconvert 720p or 1080i to 1080p.

Can someone confirm if the A810 does these?

This is taken right from the Yamaha site for the A810:

"This AV Receiver will upscale video signals up to 1080p. HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution can provide more detailed picture."

"A USB port on the front panel allows convenient connection of an iPod/iPhone, which also charges when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV receiver, there is no signal loss or interference, so you enjoy the best possible sound quality. In addition, you can use the receiver's remote control unit to operate the iPod/iPhone music playback functions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 107 Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It does not upscale 1080i or 720p to 1080p per the maual and my own experience. It will only do this for 480i and 480p.
post #33 of 107 Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
wanted to know if the yamaha rx-A810 comes to Portugal.

because they wanted to buy

only have the yamaha 771 in Portugal

what is the best

Pioneer PLasma 428XD( KURO) ; Mede8er800X3D ; BDP Oppo 103-EU ;colunas B&W frontais 684 e traseiras DM 303; Central B&W HTM62 : SVS SB13 Ultra: yamaha RX- A2050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 107 Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a way to change the default volume level on start up to lower level or mute on A810?
Thanks
post #35 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Liked: 17
Yes there is. you will find the option in the 'Setup' menu under 'Sound'. Refer to page 97 of the user manual.
post #36 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 AM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadalr View Post

Is there a way to change the default volume level on start up to lower level or mute on A810?
Thanks

Yes it does, I set my default volume this morning. I got mine on Friday and set everything up. Was worried about the HDMI handshake because I was having sound drops and all kinds of problems with my other AVR.

So far the A810 is flawless. Everything is hooked up via HDMI (STB, Roku, Blu-ray) with no problems! I've also programmed my Harmony one and it also works like a charm with the A810. The firmware update, that I did first took about 5min's and went fine. Network Radio and Pandora work great. I was also able to tap into my computer through my network and play my music off the computer. All this was easy to setup and find.

Now I just gotta learn how to use the YPAO. I set it up but was not happy with the outcome. So I did some manual tweaks and it sounds much better. But then again I remember having problems with Audyssey too.
post #37 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Does anyone know what issues, if any, the firmware update addresses? Thanks.
post #38 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

Yes it does, I set my default volume this morning. I got mine on Friday and set everything up. Was worried about the HDMI handshake because I was having sound drops and all kinds of problems with my other AVR.

So far the A810 is flawless. Everything is hooked up via HDMI (STB, Roku, Blu-ray) with no problems! I've also programmed my Harmony one and it also works like a charm with the A810. The firmware update, that I did first took about 5min's and went fine. Network Radio and Pandora work great. I was also able to tap into my computer through my network and play my music off the computer. All this was easy to setup and find.

Now I just gotta learn how to use the YPAO. I set it up but was not happy with the outcome. So I did some manual tweaks and it sounds much better. But then again I remember having problems with Audyssey too.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the A810? Where did you purchase it? Thanks.
post #39 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the A810? Where did you purchase it? Thanks.

Quote:

Please no price talk other then MSRP!

This rule applies for the entire forum but has been questioned here recently which is the purpose for this post.

The reason for this rule, we tried once to allow price talk and the forum turned into a marketing board over night. Dealers spammed the entire forum. Reported posts became overwhelming. No way to determine who was a dealer from a legit post.
The only way to address this was a no price talk policy other then MSRP so please do your part regarding the rules. We appreciate it !!

Thank you!

I guess I can tell you I got it through B&H.
post #40 of 107 Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I guess I can tell you I got it through B&H.

Wow i had no idea. In fact, after reading that i must say i absolutely agree with the no price talk rule. Thank you for informing me.

I ordered my A810 on Friday from electronics-expo and it should be here tomorrow. I bought an A800 before this, but returned it to get the A810. I found myself wishing i had the ethernet and Apple certified USB port. I thought the A800 performed better than the Denon especially with surround effects, channel seperation and even bass, not to mention music. So i didn't mind spending a little more for the newest model.
post #41 of 107 Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 AM

For those of you who own the rx-a810 I have a question on how the dual hdmi works. Can you have 2 different sources playing on each hdmi. And can you send the second source's audio to zone 2?
post #42 of 107 Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipah View Post

For those of you who own the rx-a810 I have a question on how the dual hdmi works. Can you have 2 different sources playing on each hdmi. And can you send the second source's audio to zone 2?

The 2 HDMI outputs are 'Simultaneous' as mentioned on Yamaha's website under the 'Specs' tab. Now based on my experience with the receiver so far, 'Simultaneous' just means that you can have the SAME source playing out of both HDMI outputs at the same time, if you wish. Seems like a useful feature if you have a projector and a TV connected and would like to switch between the two. Besides, i have not come across any option in the menus to assign a different input to each HDMI out.

So i guess this renders your second question moot.
post #43 of 107 Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

The 2 HDMI outputs are 'Simultaneous' as mentioned on Yamaha's website under the 'Specs' tab. Now based on my experience with the receiver so far, 'Simultaneous' just means that you can have the SAME source playing out of both HDMI outputs at the same time, if you wish. Seems like a useful feature if you have a projector and a TV connected and would like to switch between the two. Besides, i have not come across any option in the menus to assign a different input to each HDMI out.

That is what I thought.. Thank you for the clarification.
post #44 of 107 Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:

So does the receiver send the audio down the hdmi for the second tv then? And if so is there a way that you can just hear the audio on the second tv and it not come out of the speakers connected to the receiver. The reason I ask is I want to have the second tv elsewhere in the house and if I want to use it I would like to be able to select which area has the audio weather it is one or the other or both.
post #45 of 107 Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

So does the receiver send the audio down the hdmi for the second tv then? And if so is there a way that you can just hear the audio on the second tv and it not come out of the speakers connected to the receiver. The reason I ask is I want to have the second tv elsewhere in the house and if I want to use it I would like to be able to select which area has the audio weather it is one or the other or both.

So i think I found the answers to these questions in the manual. So yes it can send audio down the hdmi port and you can turn off the amp part of the receiver in the menu. I am planning on purchasing a control4 system so hopefully it can do this all with a click of a button. Most of the information is on pages 99-100 in the manual.
post #46 of 107 Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

So i think I found the answers to these questions in the manual. So yes it can send audio down the hdmi port and you can turn off the amp part of the receiver in the menu. I am planning on purchasing a control4 system so hopefully it can do this all with a click of a button. Most of the information is on pages 99-100 in the manual.

Yes the audio could be adjusted to go out through the HDMI 2 output only, if you wish. This option can be found in the 'Setup' menu under 'HDMI' and then clicking on 'Audio Output'. In fact, there is a button on the remote labeled 'HDMI OUT' and pressing that toggles video output between HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 1+2 and HDMI OUT OFF. So you could have a TV elsewhere in the house and have the audio and video coming out of the HDMI 2 output ONLY. Im thinking of putting up a TV in the kitchen and i think this feature would certainly help.

Not sure how switching off the amp will affect Zone 2 though. Does it switch Zone 2 off as well? I'm not using Zone 2 so i can't try this out but you might want to look into it in case you're thinking of having that second TV paired with the Zone 2 speakers.

No experience with Control4, so can't really say anything about that. Sorry. Although you could program one of the 'SCENE' buttons on the remote to do all of this with just one click, except to switch off the amp (page 86, owners manual).
post #47 of 107 Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Bleh...good thing I didn't get rid of my Octava switch -_-
post #48 of 107 Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Just re-checking if anyone knows what firmware 1.16 adds?

Thanks,
Brian

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
post #49 of 107 Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM

I tried hooking this receiver using HDMI out #1 to my older DLP TV and it wouldn't work, when I pulled the cable out of #1 and switched it to HDMI #2 it worked fine. Just wondering if the #1 output will only work with higher res TV's? I used the remote to switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and then Both and #1 still wouldn't work. I bought this to go into our rec room and we haven't purchased the TV yet. I needed to hook it to a TV so that I could use the receivers menu to set up my second zone for my whole house speakers.

Steve
post #50 of 107 Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Hello all. I purchased a Yamaha RX-A810 receiver several weeks ago, and I absolutely love the unit, with the exception of two issues I am having.

1. I am currently set up in the main living room with a 5.1 setup with the addition of two front presence speakers. I love the way this sounds, but I now have realized (after spending a whole day wiring everything through the wall, etc.) that I cannot run zone 2 if I want to keep my front presence speakers. I had assumed before that if I wasn't running the rear surround channels, that zone 2 would still work. My front presence speakers are high quality small 5" woofer bookshelf speakers and they are set to small speaker size. My main front speakers are larger speakers and are set to large in the receiver's settings. My question is what would happen if I daisy-chained together the front presence speakers and the main front speakers, thus freeing up my zone 2 speaker outputs. I am not worried about blowing the smaller speakers, but I am worried about running two speakers per channel, with respect to OHM loads, etc. I am very disappointed that this receiver cannot use the surround back L&R channels' outputs to reassign to zone two. I would be fine if it would turn off the front presence speakers if zone 2 was enabled. It would be nice if, when a user wants to use front presence speakers INSTEAD of rear surround, they could still have a zone 2 setup. Am I missing something here?

2. I am having exhaustive troubles getting my WIN7 64-bit WMP to stream to my receiver. I don't think this is a receiver problem, but I am wondering if anyone else has this issue? I have gone through just about every single Microsoft forum and tutorial, and also have run MS's repair tools, etc. I have uninstalled WMP and re installed completely. Doing that works temporarily, and then after one use, my WMP crashes again. In fact, my WMP won't work at all if I have told it to stream over the network. Also, another thing I want to be able to do is listen to Spotify and other audio that is on my computer...not just stuff in WMP's library. Are there other media player softwares out there that will work with the Yamaha rx a810? Or is it only set up for MSWMP? Will I have to buy some sort of external streaming device?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
post #51 of 107 Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
gce

Try posting this on this thread https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357468 You'll get more help there!

From some reason the guys decided to have one thread for all the Advantage AVR's.
post #52 of 107 Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Just pulled the trigger on the RX-A810. Had to cuz my last HDMI port went out on my Onkyo (no more onkyo's for me).

Anyway I should have it here Friday the 23rd so time to ripout the old and get ready for the new...can't wait!!!

Man, you seem to have had the same Onkyo experience that I have had. I just sent back my Onkyo TX-NR709 after three months of perfect use as the HDMI port went bad, I did not want to wait 4+ months repair time waiting on a part. I just bought the RX-A810BL, waiting on delivery. Onkyo has more features than any comparable AVR, but if it doesn't work, then OH WELL.
post #53 of 107 Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

I hope someone can help out, i cant get the Android or Iphone app to work with the reciever.
On my Android phone i can open the app and connect to the reciever, but when i do that nothing on the app is working, its blank ( look at picture below)

on the the iphone i can open the app but when i choose the reciever on the app nothing is happening.

What can be wrong?? something on the reciever i need to do to accept the app???
post #54 of 107 Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

sorry the picture
post #55 of 107 Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

post #56 of 107 Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman74 View Post

I hope someone can help out, i cant get the Android or Iphone app to work with the reciever.
On my Android phone i can open the app and connect to the reciever, but when i do that nothing on the app is working, its blank ( look at picture below)

on the the iphone i can open the app but when i choose the reciever on the app nothing is happening.

What can be wrong?? something on the reciever i need to do to accept the app???

How to you have your network configured? Is it all wireless or do you have the 810 hard wired in? Your phones should be accessing your network on wifi to connect to the avr. The only thing I could see being the issue is being an ip address conflict. I keep all of my avr gear on static ip's. I run a wireless to wired bridge in my rack on wireless n. everything on my wired/wireless network talks to each other fine including the tv's and dlna server.
post #57 of 107 Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm having trouble getting the Bass and Treble to work watching a Blu-Ray movie.
I've gone to Tone Control and made changes but no sound difference, what am I doing wrong?
I'm setup with dts sound and Standard Movie audio.
post #58 of 107 Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well, I called Yamaha Tech support, they said the when using HDMI and Blu-Ray there is no bass or treble control...that is you hear what the movie was made at that sound tone etc.
So no adjustment.........when listening to a CD , yes there is adjustment.
learned something new, as it is not mentioned in the manual.
post #59 of 107 Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 58
Have you tried setting the Blu-Ray player to PCM instead of bitstream and then try the tone controls?
post #60 of 107 Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can any current owners comment on sound quality. I'm considering this as an upgrade to a Marantz SR7002. Also, I can get one of these for a pretty fair price right now, and I understand that it has a couple of features the newer A820 doesn't have (Rhapsody, etc). Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page