Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #4561 of 4573 Old 04-14-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 365
So, did you move everything? Or everything except the speakers?

Just sounds strange. Wondering if something is disconnected or loose somewhere. I presume you've done the "is it plugged in" check all around (?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4573 Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I only moved the equipment. I did have the front left working for a little bit, then when I tried to get the others I list it. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can get a surround to come out of one of the front speakers.

In a way I would like to a new receiver. My wife asked how much for what I want and I said a $1000 at least. I am thinking of getting the Marantz SR7012. I could do Atmos then.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #4563 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an Integra DHC-80.3, I have the original Integra RC-811M remote and have encountered an annoying issue. ALL the buttons work without any issue whatsoever, I just point in the general direction of the receiver and it does what I want it to, but the volume adjustment button (whether I go up or down) just doesn't want to cooperate, I could be trying to adjust the volume for like 15-20 seconds before it finally registers.

I mean I could take the remote right up to the receiver, push the volume buttons as firmly as I can, and no matter what, it'll still take a good 10 seconds to register, so it's like it works but doesn't. I'm assuming it's just the volume buttons themselves on the remote or does the signal emitted by the volume control use a different sensor and it's actually the sensor on the receiver that's having a problem, I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there, I just want to figure this out, I really would rather not spend, $60-$70 for a new remote when the only thing wrong is the volume adjustment.

Last edited by dece870717; 08-14-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post
I have an Integra DHC-80.3, I have the original Integra RC-811M remote and have encountered an annoying issue. ALL the buttons work without any issue whatsoever, I just point in the general direction of the receiver and it does what I want it to, but the volume adjustment button (whether I go up or down) just doesn't want to cooperate, I could be trying to adjust the volume for like 15-20 seconds before it finally registers.

I mean I could take the remote right up to the receiver, push the volume buttons as firmly as I can, and no matter what, it'll still take a good 10 seconds to register, so it's like it works but doesn't. I'm assuming it's just the volume buttons themselves on the remote or does the signal emitted by the volume control use a different sensor and it's actually the sensor on the receiver that's having a problem, I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there, I just want to figure this out, I really would rather not spend, $60-$70 for a new remote when the only thing wrong is the volume adjustment.
I take it you have tried this by taking the batteries out and back in. Sometimes my Google Fiber remote stops working and I do that. How old is the remote? The volume buttons would get used a lot on a remote. Have you also tried to reset the Preamp? Not sure what else to do other then taking the remote apart and clean it.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #4565 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[QUOTE=dece870717;58420916]I have an Integra DHC-80.3

I apologize if this shows up twice but....

I have both the DHC 80.3 and the older 9.9. Have only had the 80.3 for about 3-4 years and never had a problem On the 9,9 remote however I had the same problem regularly. I disassembled the remote to find that the part of the board that the volume button contacts when you press it was covered with "goo". I cleaned it and this fixed the problem but the goo continued to build up periodically and I could not find a source for it. It seemed to "create" the goop. A more knowledgeable person may be able to shed light on precisely why this was happening but I don't know the internals of electronics.

I probably had to repeat this every 5-6 months. Granted the remote got a lot of use but this just seems to be a poor design/choice of materials. I had the same thing happen to a late 90's era Yamaha remote.

The 80.3 is by outward appearance a completely different remote but with all of the other commands functioning properly it's a reasonable suspect. If you can open it up without damaging it you can determine if it's the same issue vs dealing with it or buying a replacement.

Hope this helps.
post #4566 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I take it you have tried this by taking the batteries out and back in. Sometimes my Google Fiber remote stops working and I do that. How old is the remote? The volume buttons would get used a lot on a remote. Have you also tried to reset the Preamp? Not sure what else to do other then taking the remote apart and clean it.
Tried new batteries thinking it was that but to no avail. It's around 4-5 years old so I may have to open it up and see if that's what it is.
post #4567 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM

[quote=Artzilla;58421972]
Quote:
I have an Integra DHC-80.3

I apologize if this shows up twice but....

I have both the DHC 80.3 and the older 9.9. Have only had the 80.3 for about 3-4 years and never had a problem On the 9,9 remote however I had the same problem regularly. I disassembled the remote to find that the part of the board that the volume button contacts when you press it was covered with "goo". I cleaned it and this fixed the problem but the goo continued to build up periodically and I could not find a source for it. It seemed to "create" the goop. A more knowledgeable person may be able to shed light on precisely why this was happening but I don't know the internals of electronics.

I probably had to repeat this every 5-6 months. Granted the remote got a lot of use but this just seems to be a poor design/choice of materials. I had the same thing happen to a late 90's era Yamaha remote.

The 80.3 is by outward appearance a completely different remote but with all of the other commands functioning properly it's a reasonable suspect. If you can open it up without damaging it you can determine if it's the same issue vs dealing with it or buying a replacement.

Hope this helps.
I'm going to try to clean it because I've read of other people with the same issue (albiet with different remotes) and ended up fixing it with that suggested solution. Thanks for the help.
post #4568 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 AM

[quote=dece870717;58422158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

I'm going to try to clean it because I've read of other people with the same issue (albiet with different remotes) and ended up fixing it with that suggested solution. Thanks for the help.
I am happy to say the issue is now resolved. And just as it has been said, it was only the volume buttons that had this gooey residue, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly now, so freakin happy.
HT Geek and Ladeback like this.
post #4569 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[quote=dece870717;58422322]
Quote:

I am happy to say the issue is now resolved. And just as it has been said, it was only the volume buttons that had this gooey residue, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly now, so freakin happy.
If there's someone out there that can give us an explanation of how/why this occurs I am genuinely interested strictly from a point of understanding what material or electrical phenomenon causes it.
post #4570 of 4573 Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM

[quote=Artzilla;58422340]
Quote:
If there's someone out there that can give us an explanation of how/why this occurs I am genuinely interested strictly from a point of understanding what material or electrical phenomenon causes it.
I'm the same way with wanting to understand stuff like this. With some searching around, I think I have found the explanation http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/keypadsiliconeoil.html
HT Geek likes this.
post #4571 of 4573 Old 08-15-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=dece870717;58422812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

I'm the same way with wanting to understand stuff like this. With some searching around, I think I have found the explanation http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsa...liconeoil.html
Could also the oils from our fingers mixed with the silicone buttons make the sticky mess? Like I said earlier, the volume buttons usually get used the most. They do in our house. Some TV shows are low volume like America's Got Talent. I have to turn that show up way higher then most shows. Then there are commercials that are to load for me. If I am live I mute them.

Glad you figured it out.

post #4572 of 4573 Old 08-15-2019, 09:35 AM

[quote=Ladeback;58426120]
Quote:

Could also the oils from our fingers mixed with the silicone buttons make the sticky mess? Like I said earlier, the volume buttons usually get used the most. They do in our house. Some TV shows are low volume like America's Got Talent. I have to turn that show up way higher then most shows. Then there are commercials that are to load for me. If I am live I mute them.

Glad you figured it out.
I wouldn't be surprised if residue on fingers and/or natural oils secreted by the skin has a contributory effect.

You mentioned you have an issue with volume level consistency, now, I'm assuming you have something like a DHC-80.3 reciever, and I would ask if you have ever tried using the Dolby Volume option or Dynamic EQ with the EQ reference level offset set to 10dB?
post #4573 of 4573 Old 08-15-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=dece870717;58426904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if residue on fingers and/or natural oils secreted by the skin has a contributory effect.

You mentioned you have an issue with volume level consistency, now, I'm assuming you have something like a DHC-80.3 reciever, and I would ask if you have ever tried using the Dolby Volume option or Dynamic EQ with the EQ reference level offset set to 10dB?
I used to use a couple older Integra's, but they aren't working any more. I use a Yamaha RVX483 receiver in my living room and a Marantz 6013 in my theater. I haven't run the room calibration on either room, but it is mostly just the one show that it really low volume. I need to get my Harmony Remote programmed and use it to just use one, but not sure it would do Amazon Fire TV and Google Fiber. Those two don't always play well with others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
citation 7.1 , integra 80.3 , Onkyo Integra , speaker thump

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page