Marantz SR5006 or Yamaha RX-A810 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My next purchase is going to be a new HT Receiver. I am looking at
these two. Are they close enough that you buy the one that you find
on sale or is one better than the other?
It will be used about 20:1 for 2.1 stereo and then 2.1 movies.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...RXA810&g=10420

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM

I feel like this article from Audioholics sums it up best.

Yamaha RX-A810: "The heart and soul of the modern home theater is the AV receiver. This is not a place to skimp, and we didn't. At $800, the Yamaha RX-A810 is a steal. It has seven channels of amplification with 100 watts of power per channel. With 8 HDMI 1.4a inputs and two outputs, it supports 3D, Audio Return Channel, and just about everything else on the planet. Networking is included with DLNA 1.5 and Windows 7 certification for local streaming and Rhapsody, Pandora, and Napster on board. There are pre-outs for adding an amp later, but no analogue inputs for integrating legacy gear. Two zones of audio is supported and the RX-A810 has nine pairs of speaker terminals for easy switching between configurations.

Marantz SR5006If you have legacy gear and really want Audyssey, you might consider the Marantz SR5006. While it doesn't have pre-outs for adding an amp, (other than for Zone 2 or to power front height/width channels) it does have 100 watts per channel with seven channels of amplification. Audyssey MultEQ XT is on board as is Apple's AirPlay (as well as most of the same streaming features as the Yamaha). You lose two HDMI inputs (six in) and one of the HDMI outputs but 3D and Audio Return Channel are both supported. Either receiver would be a good choice but while the Marantz wins in the looks category, we still think the pre-outs on the Yamaha give it the slight edge."
post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Both are great sounding receivers and very comparable. The Marantz uses Audyssey room correction while the Yamaha uses its proprietary YPAO. The Marantz has Airplay built in which if for streaming audio wirelessly to your receiver from itunes. The Yamaha can also stream wirelessly from your Ipod/Iphone but not as effectively in my opinion as Airplay. Features to features is a wash between these two choices.

Now, you may need to consider which speakers you have and their sound characteristics. Because some receivers are brighter while others are more neutral. So this will effect how your speakers interact with the new receiver. The amp section on the Marantz may be a bit more robust than the Yamaha as well. So depending on the sensitivity of your speakers, this may make your system sound louder.

Lots to consider. If it were up to me with these two choices, I'd order/but from a place that doesn't have restocking fees and buy them both. Return the one you like less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The Marantz does have pre-outs, but only for the main channels.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22923 Post(s)
Liked: 12538
I'd give the edge to Audyssey (Marantz) as it can EQ the sub while YPAO(Yamaha) cannot. Also, if you're never going above stereo, the FL/FR preouts on the 5006 is all you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page