The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 714Likes

post #3751 of 3988 Old 02-21-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Isn't there a system reset available?
Is it out of warranty?
Dallas Lee likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3988 Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Yes, its out of warranty
There is a way to reset the receiver, which i did before installing 1.80. That is what fixed the neverending error i kept getting. I want to avoid resetting it again if i can, because i have to reprogram the I/O mapping...but at this point i will try just about anything.

Ok, i installed version 1.90 and the problem still exists. im testing the tuner and i get sound if in pure direct mode. Anything other than pure direct, no sound. This is only for the tuner. If i choose any hdmi input with pure direct on or off, no sound. Airplay shows text info on receiver, and phone shows its playing, but no sound from receiver. Now that i have installed version 1.90 im not getting any audio at all, not even cutting in and out anymore - just no sound at all.

Last edited by Dallas Lee; 02-21-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #3753 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM

I don't know what else to tell you other than it's a repair thing.

PM me.
Dallas Lee likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM

Thanks for letting me pm you, but i dont yet have enough posts. What do you suggest? I hear repairs are more than the machine is worth. I unplugged the unit overnight to see if that made any difference but it doesnt. Currently fw version 1.90 is installed. I cant believe this peice of junk. I so loved it when it worked but for $700 and three yrs use i feel pretty ripped off. Anyway thanks for listening!
post #3755 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Its really sad! Friday night i partied and listened to my v673 for 10 hrs staight w zero issues. Upgraded fw to 1.90 now no audio and i get an "E-10: Internal err" when trying to use YPAO. I hate yamaha now. I blame their firmware for all my trouble. I just dont u derstand how it could be hardware.
post #3756 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM

If it is any consolation, Onkyo has had a worse defect records accord to all the reviews I have read.

It's not a "piece of junk", it's just bad luck. I wouldn't be too sure about the firmware being the issue. I have a 675 with V1.60. V 1.70 is the latest, but I haven't upgraded partly due to what I have read, the fact they don't tell the customer exactly what was addressed and lastly, I don't really have any issues other than a audio 'hickup' when I change channels with my DVR.

Do you have a local service center in your area? Contact them and see what they say.
Dallas Lee likes this.

post #3757 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I've heard of this happening with Onkyos, pioneers, denons, etc. Updating the firmware on these things can be like opening a can of worms. I never update one unless there is a specific issue I am trying to rectify. Sorry this happened to you but I still would recommend Yamaha to my friends and family.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
videobruce and Dallas Lee like this.
post #3758 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM

Yeah, id say really bad luck! i called a service center in Austin TX and they quoted me $69 to look at it, and repairs on the low end would be $130 ($69 rolled into that if i choose to repair). Then there is about $75 total in shipping i would pay so...i am looking at spending a minimum of $205 to repair my unit. I may be able to find a used one that works for that much. They told me that sometimes repairs exceed the original cost of the equipment, and there is no way to tell without seeing the unit first. this receiver should have a lifetime warranty, i dont see why yamaha doesnt stand behind their products like that. Is there another brand that offers lifetime warranty? I dont want to ever have this problem again. I have never had a receiver go bad on me in my lifetime and i have owned onkyo, panasonic, and sony machines. Not saying any are better than the other, i just want to buy something that a company has no problem standing behind for the long term. I am not made of money and the $700 i spent on this v673 broke me at the time. Big sigh! Oh well.
post #3759 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
this receiver should have a lifetime warranty, i dont see why yamaha doesnt stand behind their products like that. Is there another brand that offers lifetime warranty?
When you find one let us all know! If there is, it surely wouldn't be sold anywhere near these prices.

I'm afraid to say, a reality check is severely needed here. This is the consumer electronics industry where planned obsolescence is they number one goal. This they have excelled at through the years and ar getting even better.
Most recently we have the "LED TV" scam (they still are LCD TV's), now we have the 4k, re-named UltraHD TV's (even though there is barely any material available).
Next there is ATSC 3.0 so we can throw out all of our recently purchased devices with ATSC tuners, namely DVR's doe those that prefer to not 'pay' to watch TV (new concept ).

When you think of it, manufacture provided "lifetime" guarantees, even if they were available, would be a very short "lifetime" with obsolescence taking over.
Dallas Lee likes this.

post #3760 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM

You have no "authorized" service stations in your town? You did check that before you purchased this didn't you? Availably of Yamaha service locally?

post #3761 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Yes, i hear you regarding planned obsolescence. Couldnt agree more. Its a shame.

No, i didnt check to see what service centers were near me when i made th purchase originally. I didnt think it would crap out like this. I will be checking next time tho! its sad that repair costs as much as just replacing it w a working used model. :/ not even sure i want to take the risk now.
post #3762 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 03:19 PM

After i got version 1.91 installed sucessfully after many failed attempts, i cannot even get test tones out to my speakers. YPAO hangs at 0%. Wow. Everytime i try to fix this thing the problems get worse. I can still get audio via the tuner when in pure direct mode

Last edited by Dallas Lee; 02-22-2016 at 05:30 PM.
post #3763 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM

By pressing the tone control+info+power buttons i accessed the self diagnostic part of the machine. It switches between saying "DSP1 BUS: NG" and "DSP1 BUS: OK" So yes, it is saying its a hardware issue. Good news is i am back to audio cutting in and out...if it stabalizes i may try and find a way to send the unit a signal 24/7.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/919...sp1&selected=2

Last edited by Dallas Lee; 02-22-2016 at 04:22 PM.
post #3764 of 3988 Old 02-22-2016, 05:29 PM

So i have been going through that service manual i linked above and as of right now every test checks out okay and i again have error free sound!! Happy daze. Fingers crossed it keeps working when i wake in the morning. Even tho i have the v673, most of the manual for the 671 applies. I couldnt find a v673 service manual free online.

UPDATE: woke to same problem as before, "DSP1 BUS: NG"...yesterday it switched to "DSP1 BUS: OK" on its own, but its obvious at this point its not just a software error. im still gonna try and find a way to send it a signal 24/7, probably the best workaround outside of replacement. Sadness.

2nd UPDATE: after putting the unit into service menu mode and leaving it on for one hour, DSP1 BUS now checks out OK. Here is a video showing what it does before it reaches that point...i have a theory it is heat related, maybe weak thermal compound or soething like that. I am going to leave the unit in the service menu mode overnight to see if that may be a viable workaround.

3rd update: hardware continues to fail now, even analog signal via pure direct cuts in and out and dsp started making even worse noises due to the DSP1 BUS failure. Luckily Yahama offered to cover it even though its out of warranty, this was after i had caused considerable fuss. I got lucky this time. Case closed. Hope all these posts help someone out there. Yamaha regained my confidence! Im glad too, because otherwise i love my v673.
videobruce and ktbos like this.

Last edited by Dallas Lee; 02-23-2016 at 08:20 PM.
post #3765 of 3988 Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up Problem solved

Got my 673 back from the repair shop today. The Digital PCB was replaced, it had gone bad.
https://www.encompassparts.com/item/...l_Ex_Rx-v673ml
Expensive part but Yamaha was kind enough to cover the cost. Got lucky and can now say Yamaha customer support shined through. Thanks for you help, Bruce.
videobruce, ktbos and Cla55clown like this.
post #3766 of 3988 Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 AM

Of course that isn't the distributor cost. You can buy a used receiver for less as you stated.
Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited by videobruce; 03-10-2016 at 04:58 AM.
post #3767 of 3988 Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI Setup Puzzle

Ok, first of all I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask the community about a setup.

The core issue is how to select what audio/video is used/up-converted onto the HDMI out.

Inputs: 1) Satellite w/composite cables 2) Apple Airport express - optical for music streaming.

Speakers in family room
TV in kitchen fed by HDMI

The old coax cable was replaced with a HDMI cable to the kitchen and now we are unable to:

1) play streaming music in the family room
2) while watching Sat TV in the kitchen with Sat TV audio included.

That is, the HDMI conversion from the Sat to HDMI uses the Satellite's yellow feed, but as the music playing on the mains is from the Airport the Sat audio is lost and the music plays over the HDMI in the kitchen.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your ideas,

Matt
post #3768 of 3988 Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone using the RX-v673 connected to ethernet for network control?

This is a really weird problem that I am encountering with my RX-v673 (firmware 1.91)...

Whenever I stream Netflix from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad - happens to be running iOS 9.3 now), I am seeing my RX-v673 completely drop off the network (which I can observe by watching the Network Information screen). It's not like it just loses its IP address (as if the network cable was unplugged), but seems to lose the network interface completely, with the connection status changing to "Please Wait..." and the MAC address and network name not even being displayed (unlike when the network cable is removed). As soon as I terminate the Netflix app on the iOS device, the network functionality returns. Oh, and as long as I don't run the Netflix app, the RX-v673 works just great, so it's very unlikely a hardware problem with the receiver.

Thinking that the Netflix app was impacting my router in some way, I even swapped the router out, with no change. I have pulled off every other network device except the RX-v673, and an Apple Airport Extreme (to serve as a wireless access point for the iOS device), and can still reproduce. This doesn't happen with any other device (e.g., PC, Android tablet) or with any other streaming media app (e.g., amazon video, YouTube, etc) - just Netflix running on an iOS device. My guess is that is sending something out across the network that the RX-V673 sees, causing it to get into an odd state.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time, and happens within 10-20 seconds consistently.

Repro steps are really easy:
- display the Network Information screen from the onscreen GUI
- start the latest Netflix app on an iPad (for example)
- stream any show
- observe that the RX-V673 loses network functionality
- quit/close the Netflix app on the iPad
- observe that the network functionality returns

I have observed that the RX-V673 has the network issue even by just launching the Netflix app, but it seems to happen quicker if streaming is started.

Yamaha had never heard of this, and Netflix had no clue, so trying to see if any other RX-V673 owners can reproduce this (or not).

Anyone have their RX-V673 hooked up to their local network over Ethernet that can try this?
post #3769 of 3988 Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brente View Post
This is a really weird problem that I am encountering with my RX-v673 (firmware 1.91)...

Whenever I stream Netflix from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad - happens to be running iOS 9.3 now), I am seeing my RX-v673 completely drop off the network (which I can observe by watching the Network Information screen). It's not like it just loses its IP address (as if the network cable was unplugged), but seems to lose the network interface completely, with the connection status changing to "Please Wait..." and the MAC address and network name not even being displayed (unlike when the network cable is removed). As soon as I terminate the Netflix app on the iOS device, the network functionality returns. Oh, and as long as I don't run the Netflix app, the RX-v673 works just great, so it's very unlikely a hardware problem with the receiver.

Thinking that the Netflix app was impacting my router in some way, I even swapped the router out, with no change. I have pulled off every other network device except the RX-v673, and an Apple Airport Extreme (to serve as a wireless access point for the iOS device), and can still reproduce. This doesn't happen with any other device (e.g., PC, Android tablet) or with any other streaming media app (e.g., amazon video, YouTube, etc) - just Netflix running on an iOS device. My guess is that is sending something out across the network that the RX-V673 sees, causing it to get into an odd state.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time, and happens within 10-20 seconds consistently.

- stream any show

I have observed that the RX-V673 has the network issue even by just launching the Netflix app, but it seems to happen quicker if streaming is started.

Yamaha had never heard of this, and Netflix had no clue, so trying to see if any other RX-V673 owners can reproduce this (or not).

Anyone have their RX-V673 hooked up to their local network over Ethernet that can try this?
Just to be clear, you aren't streaming Netflix with AirPlay, right? Just two separate devices doing their own thing on the same network and one beats up the other? Yes, that's weird.

I just tried streaming Netflix on an iPad and got 5 minutes into the stream without any problem from the RX-V673. The network information screen remained steady with the IP just fine.

It shouldn't make a difference in this test, but FYI, my Yamaha has a static IP while the iPad had DHCP.

My only suggestion for what to test next would be trying a different router. Perhaps you could borrow one from somebody just for the test or maybe you have an old one in storage. Could be something specific to the AirPort. Let us know here if you make an progress or rule anything else out. Good luck.
post #3770 of 3988 Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_truesdale View Post
Just to be clear, you aren't streaming Netflix with AirPlay, right? Just two separate devices doing their own thing on the same network and one beats up the other? Yes, that's weird.

I just tried streaming Netflix on an iPad and got 5 minutes into the stream without any problem from the RX-V673. The network information screen remained steady with the IP just fine.

It shouldn't make a difference in this test, but FYI, my Yamaha has a static IP while the iPad had DHCP.

My only suggestion for what to test next would be trying a different router. Perhaps you could borrow one from somebody just for the test or maybe you have an old one in storage. Could be something specific to the AirPort. Let us know here if you make an progress or rule anything else out. Good luck.
Thanks Ken! Appreciate the try. Are you also running firmware 1.91?

Yes, i was just streaming on the network - not using airplay. I did try both DHCP and fixed, with no difference - the Yamaha doesn't just lose it's IP address, so very odd.

I did try a different router (brand and all), but not a different WAP yet, so will try swapping out my airport.

I also did grab the ip traffic that went to/from the yamaha, but haven't had a chance to look closely at it (nothing jumped out at me though).
post #3771 of 3988 Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Ken! Appreciate the try. Are you also running firmware 1.91?

Yes, i was just streaming on the network - not using airplay. I did try both DHCP and fixed, with no difference - the Yamaha doesn't just lose it's IP address, so very odd.

I did try a different router (brand and all), but not a different WAP yet, so will try swapping out my airport.

I also did grab the ip traffic that went to/from the yamaha, but haven't had a chance to look closely at it (nothing jumped out at me though).
Oops, sorry, yes, same firmware version as you. 1.91

And sorry also for missing the mention of you having separate router and access point. Not sure if your router doesn't have WiFi or if you are using the AirPort for other reasons but might be easiest to test if you can get one device to do it all.

An unlikely scenario, but since nothing obvious is presenting as the problem, time to consider the unlikely: Perhaps the V673 is polling the network every 20 seconds or so and in your case, with a Netflix stream going, you've filled the network pipe and the polling fails with a low priority. And perhaps the V673 responds badly to that by shutting down the network system in the receiver. I have occasional Pandora problems where the receiver just issues a network error with no other info so we know that the network software in the receiver is not very robust. So if you look at the network packets hitting the V673, you might not find any bad packets causing trouble but maybe you'll see polling requests from it or something similar.

If the issue is due to Netflix filling up your network capacity, maybe you can limit it. I don't know the Netflix app well enough to know if there is a way you can throttle it on the client. But maybe trying QoS would work if your router supports it (or if supports DD-WRT).
post #3772 of 3988 Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

- stream any show

Hi Brente,

I have been having this problem for a couple of months now and I can 100% confirm this - both on a RX-A2030 and a RX-A3030!

It was driving me totally crazy, so THANK YOU for leading me to the source of the problem!

As soon as I log into the Netflix app on an iOS unit both receivers DROP the network connection! It even turns OFF the LED on the network switch to which it is connected.
When I quit the netflix app the connection normally comes back, but sometimes I have to recycle the power on the receiver.

Both receivers running version 1.70 and using a TP Link Archer C7 router and a HP 1410-8G switch.

I am thinking about making a short youtube video showing this problem.

Have been reading in another forum that someone else experienced the same with a Marantz receiver and a printer!!
Google: Netflix causes things to drop from the network
post #3773 of 3988 Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_truesdale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachman View Post

Thanks ken_truesdale and Bachman!

Doing some further testing, I think I narrowed down the packet that the Netflix app on iOS sends out that confuses the Yamaha receivers. The packet is associated with an SSDP M-SEARCH request. I can replay the packet to my network and cause the Yamaha receiver to fail with 100%. Knowing that the Android version of the Netflix app worked fine, I was also able to identify a very very subtle difference in the packets that the Android version sends out versus what the iOS app version sends out. If I edit the "good" Android packet to match the "bad" iOS packet, then the packet will cause the Yamaha receiver to fail (as expected), and if I modify "bad" ios packet to match the "good" Android packet, then the Yamaha receiver stays good. So, repros 100%. Not sure if the difference between the packets on the platforms is a bug, or whether it's an optional syntax parameter that isn't sent on iOS, but either way, something is funky about it (and Netflix could easily change the iOS packet to match what the Android app uses without breaking anything). I'll try to reach someone at Netflix tomorrow, but no clue as to whether I can reach the right person. Will report back here...
ktbos likes this.

Last edited by brente; 04-10-2016 at 10:53 PM.
post #3774 of 3988 Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Not the first time I've heard Netflix apps accused of issues. I noticed frequent audio and/or video blanks on my Samsung TV, and visited many threads related to this. Some suspected the Samsung circuitry, other's determined it was Netflix APP for Samsung SmartApps. Never saw a definitive conclusion, but it pointed to Netflix's app, due to their streaming Dolby Digital+, but the Samsung TVs having to transcode to Dolby Digital to pass over SPDIF or HDMI-ARC.

I'm beginning to see the value in no longer subscribing to Netflix. Their time has passed IMHO.

N.B. I've owned a Yamaha RX-V663 and RX-V775 most recently. A couple of HTRs prior to that.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3775 of 3988 Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to see the value in no longer subscribing to Netflix. Their time has passed IMHO.
DVD rental is more than fine thou they need to fulfill their "unknown" availability backlog!

post #3776 of 3988 Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Not the first time I've heard Netflix apps accused of issues. I noticed frequent audio and/or video blanks on my Samsung TV, and visited many threads related to this. Some suspected the Samsung circuitry, other's determined it was Netflix APP for Samsung SmartApps. Never saw a definitive conclusion, but it pointed to Netflix's app, due to their streaming Dolby Digital+, but the Samsung TVs having to transcode to Dolby Digital to pass over SPDIF or HDMI-ARC.

N.B. I've owned a Yamaha RX-V663 and RX-V775 most recently. A couple of HTRs prior to that.
Well, not to actually defend Netflix, but while they do indeed have a bug in their iOS app, any other application or device that issues a malformed network request will cause the Yamaha receiver to lose it's network functionality, so I am sure that Netflix is not alone at causing the problem that we're seeing... Hopefully Netflix will fix their bug, and Yamaha will update their firmware to handle the issue gracefully, but either one of the two would work for me!
ktbos likes this.
post #3777 of 3988 Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Alas, I suspect the Yamaha network circuitry/software is pretty weak. Pandora usually loses connection in a few minutes to an hour, Airplay from an iOS device only lasts for a couple of songs. Can't recall if I've been able to play DLNA from an NAS hard-wired to the router for an extended time.

I've been using a router in wireless bridge mode to connect, wondered if a YWA-10BL from Yamaha would work any better. No way I'm paying that much for such a limited wi-fi adapter.
ktbos likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3778 of 3988 Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

I got lucky and reached the right people at Netflix, and it looks like we might see a fix to the Netflix iOS app sooner rather than later (will know more later on this week). I think that even when Netflix fixes their bug, unless Yamaha issues a firmware update that handles the issue more gracefully than they do now (assuming that they can fix it with a firmware update), any other app or device that has a similar bug will cause trouble (and I would think that they do exist). I sent the info to Yamaha, and will see if they respond after reviewing it...
ktbos likes this.
post #3779 of 3988 Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman View Post
My rx v673 used to display on the front of it what it was playing in. For example dolly, Dts, true Dolby, Dts hd master , etc. Now it's just displaying what mode it's playing in. For example sci-if,straight , spectacle, 7 channel etc. How do I go back to displaying Dts ,Dolby, etc. Again?
The same thing started on mine a little while back. I downloaded 1.91 and updated the 1.64 that was on it...no joy.
I've tried resetting the system to defaults...no joy.

anyone have any suggestions?
post #3780 of 3988 Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Use the INFO button on the remote to select what's displayed.
tried that...no joy seems the decoder is fubar. all I have is Straight, 2ch stereo or 7ch stereo, no Dolby of any sort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
firmware update , pandora , sound dropping out , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page