The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 714Likes

post #3961 of 4005 Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
have you tried doing a processor reset on the receiver? Maybe that's all it needs.
Not familiar with processor reset. Please explain. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4005 Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2527 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
You can reset your AVR to default settings. You'll have to reconfigure everything all over again but the reset may fix your problem.

Page 105-107 of your user manual. If you don't have it you can download here.
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../022RXV673.PDF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha RX-V673 INIT.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2573162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha RX-V673 Restore Default.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2573164  

Afro GT
post #3963 of 4005 Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncdon View Post
My RX-V673 suddenly stopped working with the AV Controller app for iPhone. I went into the advanced settings and checked firmware version and it appears there is no firmware. Yamaha no longer supports this model and I could not find an update for the firmware. I thought I would try to download firmware for the 683 model but that is not available either. What to do? Suggestions please.
DO NOT try to install firmware intended for another model, you could conceivably brick your AVR.

I agree with @afrogt , try a factory reset in the Advanced Setup menu. Sometimes manufacturers will drop older models from support in their apps (Samsung did this to my TV 2-3 years after I bought it!), but according to Yamaha's page for the AV Controller app the 673 is still supported.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 4005 Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM

I've done the factory reset and there is no change. I can no longer connect my iPhone to the receiver via 1/8" stereo to RCA's using AV5 as input. I get no sound. I don't get any sound on AM/FM receiver either. Is my unit kaput?
post #3965 of 4005 Old 06-03-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncdon View Post
I've done the factory reset and there is no change. I can no longer connect my iPhone to the receiver via 1/8" stereo to RCA's using AV5 as input. I get no sound. I don't get any sound on AM/FM receiver either. Is my unit kaput?
Sure seems like it.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #3966 of 4005 Old 06-05-2019, 04:45 AM
i2k

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try the test tone.

SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
post #3967 of 4005 Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-V673 won’t show HDMI in Zone 2

I used to be able to play Zone 1 HDMI (TV) audio in Zone 2. Zone 2 in Yamaha AV Controller app used to have HDMI options displayed and now it doesn’t. The RX-V673 doesn’t have “Party Mode”. I no longer have contact info of person who set it up. Zone 2 works fine with non-HDMI inputs so Zone speakers are working. Thanks
post #3968 of 4005 Old 06-09-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 295
If I am reading this correctly, that receiver will not allow hdmi (digital source) playback in zone 2. Only analog sources.

The lowest level receivers that have that feature are the denon x3400/3500 and onkyo rz630/730/830.
post #3969 of 4005 Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Begginer help YAMAHA RX-V673 and JBL E60 or E80

Hello guys,

English is not my native language so i apologize in advance for misspelling mistakes.

I got Yamaha RX-V673 EU model from my uncle for free but without speakers. I’m new in this hobby so i’dont know alot about this hobby and sound,ohm,W specifications (what to look for).
I’m interested in buying JBL Northridge E60 or E80 i can get them for a really decent price. In the future i would like to buy Jbl Subwoofer also. I would use the speakers for listening to music Rap/Hiphop and watching movies thru HDMI ARC.
So are this speakers good for my receiver or are they to powerful for the receivet. I don’t want to screw my receiver in a day or less...

Thanks for your help,

Regards from Slovenia EU.
post #3970 of 4005 Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's no such thing as "speakers are too powerful for the receiver." If they are 8 ohm speakers, and relatively efficient, the receiver will drive them. Period.

Read more on these forums, and read up on the specifications for the speakers you want, and you will start to learn.

post #3971 of 4005 Old 07-06-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Is there a shortcut for adjusting the subwoofer level? It can't be that I need to go into the speaker setup and adjust the level.
post #3972 of 4005 Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Is there a shortcut for adjusting the subwoofer level? It can't be that I need to go into the speaker setup and adjust the level.
Chck th mnul for Subwoofr Trim on n Option mnu. My 775 hs tht.

post #3973 of 4005 Old 08-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Hello, would like some suggestions or help please.
I have a bluetooth transmitter that can connect up via DAO(toslink), RCA connections or a 3.5mm connector. I have at least the RCA connections on my 673 but there is no sound coming from them. I know the BT device works because I can connect the RCA jacks to another device (TV) and it transmits audio from that device. Does anyone know of a way that I can connect that BT device to any of the ports on my 673 that would work?
If there is no way to do this directly from the 673 would it be possible to buy a cheap sound bar with compatible audio outputs and use one of them (with the sound bar connected to the 673). Or is there an inexpensive speaker I can buy to replace the middle speaker in my 5 speaker setup?
Suggestions or advice appreciated.

Last edited by marklyn; 08-02-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #3974 of 4005 Old 09-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgraded to a 4K TV and just got a Sony X800 4K BR player. Since the 673 doesn't support 4K passthru I am running the video out straight to the TV and the audio out to the 673, butting I am having 1 annoying problem. Whenever I fast forward or anything I lose the audio and have to reselect HDMI input on the 673. I am sure there must be a setting to fix this?!
post #3975 of 4005 Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Hello, would like some suggestions or help please.
I have a bluetooth transmitter that can connect up via DAO(toslink), RCA connections or a 3.5mm connector. I have at least the RCA connections on my 673 but there is no sound coming from them. I know the BT device works because I can connect the RCA jacks to another device (TV) and it transmits audio from that device. Does anyone know of a way that I can connect that BT device to any of the ports on my 673 that would work?
If there is no way to do this directly from the 673 would it be possible to buy a cheap sound bar with compatible audio outputs and use one of them (with the sound bar connected to the 673). Or is there an inexpensive speaker I can buy to replace the middle speaker in my 5 speaker setup?
Suggestions or advice appreciated.
If the Bluetooth receiver (I don’t know why you’d connect a BT transmitter to an AVR except to send to BT headphones) outputs TOSlink (digital audio), I’d try that and let the AVR do the DAC (digital-analog conversion). Most soundbars I’ve seen feature HDMI and at least one digital audio input, either TOSlink or coax.

Your AVR should be able to play TOSlink audio from a BT receiver, you may have to configure/assign that TOSlink input correctly. Check the good ‘ol manual.

If this truly is a Bluetooth transmitter, it’s not going to work with your 673, it’s meant to plug into an audio playback device then send the audio to a Bluetooth receiver.

post #3976 of 4005 Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those with sound cutting out and pops/crackles

I've been having the issue where sound cuts out randomly and it's gotten a lot worse over the past few months, now not working for many minutes until the receiver has warmed up after being turned on, or just not working at all. The speaker icons also turn off while sound is cut-out, causing it to look like an input issue. I thought it was HDMI ARC on my TV (LG B7) but Optical audio was no better, and neither are any others.

Anyway this problem is very common and as mentioned in a few places the cause is the TI DSP chip (D80YK113CPTP400) failing. Not Yamaha's fault and not limited to Yamaha receivers. Maybe a replacement board will be better (until the chip on it inevitably fails, too) or maybe a replacement board will have already failed by the time you buy it. So replacement boards don't seem like a great option.

TI knows about this issue and it's documented here: (I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post a link.. so see my next post for that)

They have a drop-in replacement part (D80YK113DPTP400).

I'm going to call Yamaha and see if they will replace my board seeing as it's a known-issue and they may have boards with the newer TI chip. Maybe TI even reimburses them in some part for this kind of issue, who knows. If they will replace then great, but even they won't, I'm going to order a D80YK113DPTP400 and attempt to replace the chip on my failed board myself (I have access to a rework station).

I'll post back when I get somewhere with Yamaha or replacing the chip!
post #3977 of 4005 Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM

The link I wasn't able to put into my previous post: http://media.digikey.com/PDF/PCNs/Te...114000_Obs.pdf
videobruce likes this.
post #3978 of 4005 Old 09-06-2019, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I have experienced the 'drop-out' problem also, but it's intermittent with no know (or noticeable) pattern. I have been blaming it on the source material and the HDMI board which I have been under the impression that is the #1 failure problem with this receiver.

If you look thru e-bay for any selling one of theses (as-is/not working) it seems to be that board that is bad and many of the ads mention this board. From what I have read, one can't just 'replace' (swap the boards, the replacement has to be 'calibrated/aligned to the receiver.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3979 of 4005 Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It has taken some time after leaving one house and moving to another to begin to set up the home theater components. I immediately find that that VTuner has screwed everyone by turning into a paywall service. It is a paltry $3 per year but upon researching I find that Yamaha says they do not endorse what this company has done and have stopped using their service as a result. Unfortunately the 673 is on the list of unsupported updates to replace the internet radio streaming service to a new free one. Sad news. I was considering the $3 but since Yahama says in their notice at their website that the performance of that paid service is not good then why bother, but I'm losing one of my favorite features of that receiver. I'm disappointed that Yamaha is declining to issue a firmware update for so many of these models. I think I may go back to Pioneer for my next AVR. I loved my Pioneer VSX that I had for over 20 years, it was so powerful. Maybe Pioneer is junk now though. I've digressed, but I am really disappointed they have killed the 673 a bunch of other models by refusing to update the internet radio API. I bet it's not a technical limitation and just lack of interest in supporting their past products.

post #3980 of 4005 Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR

Your outrage has been recorded. Unfortunately your model is even older than mine, and they’re both getting long in the tooth. I would suggest you get a Chromecast, Fire TV Stick (probably a better fit for you), or other affordable device (as I have) that will keep you provided with Internet radio from reliable (not struggling to stay afloat) services. The AVR has not been killed off by just one “Net Radio” service going toes up or starting a paywall. OR … as they said in the old vaudeville sketch, “The lawyer in the traffic court,” … ”Pay the $3!”

If you choose to stomp off to another brand, please close (not slam) the proverbial door behind you.

post #3981 of 4005 Old 10-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewen View Post
I've been having the issue where sound cuts out randomly and it's gotten a lot worse over the past few months, now not working for many minutes until the receiver has warmed up after being turned on, or just not working at all. The speaker icons also turn off while sound is cut-out, causing it to look like an input issue. I thought it was HDMI ARC on my TV (LG B7) but Optical audio was no better, and neither are any others.

Anyway this problem is very common and as mentioned in a few places the cause is the TI DSP chip (D80YK113CPTP400) failing. Not Yamaha's fault and not limited to Yamaha receivers. Maybe a replacement board will be better (until the chip on it inevitably fails, too) or maybe a replacement board will have already failed by the time you buy it. So replacement boards don't seem like a great option.

TI knows about this issue and it's documented here: (I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post a link.. so see my next post for that)

I'm going to call Yamaha and see if they will replace my board seeing as it's a known-issue and they may have boards with the newer TI chip. Maybe TI even reimburses them in some part for this kind of issue, who knows. If they will replace then great, but even they won't, I'm going to order a D80YK113DPTP400 and attempt to replace the chip on my failed board myself (I have access to a rework station).

I have the same problem - popping and snapping noises on a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050. Also, the sound abruptly cuts off. Sound starts off again on at times and sometimes I have to restart the receiver or try changing DSP modes. Such a pain for a high cost receiver.
Did you have any luck with Yamaha support?
Thanks
post #3982 of 4005 Old 10-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techortreat View Post
I have the same problem - popping and snapping noises on a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050. Also, the sound abruptly cuts off. Sound starts off again on at times and sometimes I have to restart the receiver or try changing DSP modes. Such a pain for a high cost receiver.
Did you have any luck with Yamaha support?
Thanks
I got in touch with them and they don't have a bulletin about the issue so there's no special handling of it. They offered to sell the replacement board (part # ZC099900 for the RX-V673) for nearly $400 CAD, or $255 as a repair if I brought them my unit. They also offered $150 off of a new receiver, on the condition that they take in my broken one.

I ordered the replacement TI chip instead. It ended up costing about $50 USD shipped + $20 CAD in duty/tax ($15 being DHL's BS brokerage fee, which I probably could have avoided). I am planning to put it in on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190925_135852.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	919.8 KB
ID:	2622322  
post #3983 of 4005 Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I got in touch with them and they don't have a bulletin about the issue so there's no special handling of it. They offered to sell the replacement board (part # ZC099900 for the RX-V673) for nearly $400 CAD, or $255 as a repair if I brought them my unit. They also offered $150 off of a new receiver, on the condition that they take in my broken one.

I ordered the replacement TI chip instead. It ended up costing about $50 USD shipped + $20 CAD in duty/tax ($15 being DHL's BS brokerage fee, which I probably could have avoided). I am planning to put it in on the weekend.
Nice! Hope it works! I'll check if there is a similar part for the RX-A3050
post #3984 of 4005 Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 AM

ARC and eARC

Hello all,

I have been using my RX-V673 for quite some time now. It is time to upgrade my TV. I have owned a Samsung 40"LED (UE40D6500) for 8 years. I want to replace it for a 55" LG (OLED55C9PLA).
This LG has the eARC feature. The RX-V673 has regular ARC. In my current setup all my sources are connected to the receiver and only one HDMI cable goes to the TV. Is that still possible with the eARC TV? I am worried about losing lip sync capability.

In short: is eARC backwards compatible with ARC or do I need to change the way I connect my system?
post #3985 of 4005 Old 10-31-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello can someone help. My dad has this receiver and just got a Sony 4k oled. I have this receiver passing 4k through fine but for some reason I can’t get hdr to pass on uhd disk. Pretty sure everything is set up correct.

Does this receiver pass hdr?
post #3986 of 4005 Old 11-03-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenVermeer View Post
Hello all,

I have been using my RX-V673 for quite some time now. It is time to upgrade my TV. I have owned a Samsung 40"LED (UE40D6500) for 8 years. I want to replace it for a 55" LG (OLED55C9PLA).
This LG has the eARC feature. The RX-V673 has regular ARC. In my current setup all my sources are connected to the receiver and only one HDMI cable goes to the TV. Is that still possible with the eARC TV? I am worried about losing lip sync capability.

In short: is eARC backwards compatible with ARC or do I need to change the way I connect my system?
I suspect it will be, but depends upon the TV, not the AVR. eARC just brings higher resolution audio over the channel, which matters IF you are streaming UHD from the TV. It's sort of a niche feature for people who are using their TV as a streaming hub, versus a Roku, Apple TV, et al. The TV should adapt to the format that the AVR reports over HDMI that it is capable of. Good choice on the LG, BTW, they're well reviewed by CR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmx24 View Post
Hello can someone help. My dad has this receiver and just got a Sony 4k oled. I have this receiver passing 4k through fine but for some reason I can’t get hdr to pass on uhd disk. Pretty sure everything is set up correct.

Does this receiver pass hdr?
Most likely not, in fact my 775 only supports UHD at the lower framerates. I believe HDR and Dolby Vision support started with some of the *83 models after a firmware update (check those threads for details).

post #3987 of 4005 Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 AM

Pandora fixed again with 1.98

With a receiver of this vintage, I'm generally of the opinion that I don't want to update firmware unless there's a problem. I've been fine with firmware version 1.90 for years. Some time in the last week or so Pandora suddenly stopped working. I'd get an error that said something about a problem with the network and when I hit "OK", it would show the old "network access error". I gave it a few days figuring something would work itself out (server connection problem?, network problem?) until it seemed like it wasn't going away. And I knew the network connection within the house was fine because I had turned the receiver on using the app on my phone. I downloaded and installed the 1.98 firmware and that fixed the problem. If anyone else is finding a problem with Pandora recently, 1.98 fixed the problem for me and may for you too. Good luck.
post #3988 of 4005 Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Liked: 13
Temporary Fix for HDMI TI chip issue

Quote:

I have experienced the exact issue for the past few months. This solution, as used on an Onkyo for the same TI chip causing the problem in our Yamaha, worked for me. How long the fix will last, who knows:

post #3989 of 4005 Old 01-13-2020, 10:18 AM

RX-V673 output audio to Bluetooth transmitter?

I have several HDMI devices connected to my RX-V673 (Tivo, Roku Ultra, FireTV). I also have a Bluetooth transmitter that has a stereo jack (3.5mm jack) and DAO connection. Right now I have the stereo jack cable coming from the BT transmitter connected to a splitter with two RCA ends. I connect one of those ends up to my Tivo audio output so I can listen to my Tivo with headphones, works great. But, I'd really like to find a way to connect the BT Transmitter to an audio output on the RX-V673 to output audio for any device I am currently using (Tivo, Roku or FireTV). I see jacks on the back "Audio out", but they flat don't work unless I'm missing something obvious.
I know it's an older unit now but don't want to upgrade unless there is no configuration that would work. Can anyone think of some way I can get an audio signal to the DAO or stereo jack?
post #3990 of 4005 Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I have several HDMI devices connected to my RX-V673 (Tivo, Roku Ultra, FireTV). I also have a Bluetooth transmitter that has a stereo jack (3.5mm jack) and DAO connection. Right now I have the stereo jack cable coming from the BT transmitter connected to a splitter with two RCA ends. I connect one of those ends up to my Tivo audio output so I can listen to my Tivo with headphones, works great. But, I'd really like to find a way to connect the BT Transmitter to an audio output on the RX-V673 to output audio for any device I am currently using (Tivo, Roku or FireTV). I see jacks on the back "Audio out", but they flat don't work unless I'm missing something obvious.
I know it's an older unit now but don't want to upgrade unless there is no configuration that would work. Can anyone think of some way I can get an audio signal to the DAO or stereo jack?
Check your manual. The older receivers did not normally output digital (HDMI) audio from AUDIO OUT ports or Zone 2. :-\

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
firmware update , pandora , sound dropping out , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page