Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 347 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes

post #10381 of 10639 Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Not sure what the problem is, HDMI board or network chip or preamp, but nevermind, turns out we're covered until 2018. I'll send my unit back for repairs as the other option is a paltry rebate on newer models.

Certainly not because of overheating --- my unit is very seldom used, sits in open air and most often played at low levels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 10639 Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any chance this receiver can receive a firmware upgrade to play Atmos?
post #10383 of 10639 Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10384 of 10639 Old 11-22-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
Sure thing.. The firmware includes a new chassis and main board too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm 7.1.4, VTF-3 MK5 HP, 120" DIY Spandex Screen, Sony 45ES
post #10385 of 10639 Old 11-22-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

No. It's physically impossible. The 818 doesn't have the hardware to run Atmos.
post #10386 of 10639 Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
I'll send my unit back for repairs as the other option is a paltry rebate on newer models.
It took about 2 weeks from the moment I sent the request for the whole process (waiting for the packing material, sending it, getting it back. My 818 is now repaired and it works well. I hope I still have many years left enjoying that receiver *crosses fingers*.

post #10387 of 10639 Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having mine repaired as well.. Sent in the request last night so the clock is ticking...
post #10388 of 10639 Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I think My 818 is close to failing

Hello,

So lately I have been having intermitent issues. I will turn on my TV, or projector and have no sound. I also have had it where the networking is grayed out, net is disabled. How difficult is it to get Onkyo to fix the problem? Did anyone else have intermittent issues befoe the receiver quit working? thanks
post #10389 of 10639 Old 11-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
Hello,

So lately I have been having intermitent issues. I will turn on my TV, or projector and have no sound. I also have had it where the networking is grayed out, net is disabled. How difficult is it to get Onkyo to fix the problem? Did anyone else have intermittent issues befoe the receiver quit working? thanks
Mine started loosing audio about a week ago.. 6 or 7 times. Restarting the unit restored sound but last night it was gone for good.

Last edited by swatkins; 11-29-2015 at 10:37 PM.
post #10390 of 10639 Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
It took about 2 weeks from the moment I sent the request for the whole process (waiting for the packing material, sending it, getting it back. My 818 is now repaired and it works well. I hope I still have many years left enjoying that receiver *crosses fingers*.
Hopefully. Mine is losing internet "detectability" again. Doesn't show up on my Jriver list via PC or tablet not on Spotify Connect.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10391 of 10639 Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it was kind of intermittent before it failed. I could connect to my DLNA server for example, so I had network capabilities, but no sound. However the app could not find the receiver. Afterwards all net capabilities went away too.

It's very easy to fix the problem. Onkyo set up a web site just for this. You enther the S/N and click on the relevant symptoms (and only the relevant symptoms --- I guess this is kind of a filter for bogus claims):

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
Hopefully. Mine is losing internet "detectability" again. Doesn't show up on my Jriver list via PC or tablet not on Spotify Connect.
This is after repairing? And you sure you set it up correctly afterwards? Can the Onkyo app find it? (Note that if I remember correctly, only the Onkyo app can turn the 818 on via the network -- it doesn't auto-turn-on when receiving an audio stream like other receivers).

post #10392 of 10639 Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This is after repairing? And you sure you set it up correctly afterwards? Can the Onkyo app find it? (Note that if I remember correctly, only the Onkyo app can turn the 818 on via the network -- it doesn't auto-turn-on when receiving an audio stream like other receivers).
No, the Onkyo app does not find it either. Mine has already been returned from repair.

The only fix for me is to pull the plug. It is usually there when it initializes, but for how long is the problem.

I'm contemplating getting an open box Marantz AV7701 from Best Buy or a refurbished from accessories4less.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

post #10393 of 10639 Old 11-30-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
The only fix for me is to pull the plug. It is usually there when it initializes, but for how long is the problem.
I'm contemplating getting an open box Marantz AV7701 from Best Buy or a refurbished from accessories4less.
Well network always was spotty on the 818 in the first place (using DLNA/UPnP I regularly crashed the network stack --- only a restart can fix this). I had some hope the repairs would fix this but it looks like it's normal behavior / software bugs. At least it's not a huge doorstop if audio works.

I for one relegated the 818 to a secondary setup. I found the Denon X4000 to be a great replacement for my main setup, with much smoother net capabilities, although some features are lost (e.g. level of configuration, you can't enter URL for radio station, etc.).

That being said, the looks of the 818 beat any receiver out there
RPGMasta likes this.

post #10394 of 10639 Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Well network always was spotty on the 818 in the first place (using DLNA/UPnP I regularly crashed the network stack --- only a restart can fix this). I had some hope the repairs would fix this but it looks like it's normal behavior / software bugs. At least it's not a huge doorstop if audio works.

I for one relegated the 818 to a secondary setup. I found the Denon X4000 to be a great replacement for my main setup, with much smoother net capabilities, although some features are lost (e.g. level of configuration, you can't enter URL for radio station, etc.).

That being said, the looks of the 818 beat any receiver out there
So annoying. Yesterday I did a plug pull to reset and it was lost within 4 songs via DLNA with jriver. Looks like I'm shopping again.

post #10395 of 10639 Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I recently got my TX-NR818 receiver back from a second round of repairs under the Onkyo extended warranty, and now I have a new problem.

Trying to calibrate using Audyssey, I find that the SVS sub that I had since I first got the receiver is now only generating ~60dB max on the calibration test tone with the gain turned up full tilt, whereas previously, the sub would easily hit ~75dB just about halfway on the gain dial. Everything stayed the same - sub placement, speaker placement, calibration mic placement, etc. The only major difference is furniture placement in the room, as after the recent repairs, there are a couple of new pieces of furniture (an IKEA 3'x5' storage shelf on the opposite end of the room from the sub).

Any recommendations on how to go about finding the culprit (sub or amp or placement) causing the drop in sub volume?
post #10396 of 10639 Old 12-11-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
I recently got my TX-NR818 receiver back from a second round of repairs under the Onkyo extended warranty, and now I have a new problem.

Trying to calibrate using Audyssey, I find that the SVS sub that I had since I first got the receiver is now only generating ~60dB max on the calibration test tone with the gain turned up full tilt, whereas previously, the sub would easily hit ~75dB just about halfway on the gain dial. Everything stayed the same - sub placement, speaker placement, calibration mic placement, etc. The only major difference is furniture placement in the room, as after the recent repairs, there are a couple of new pieces of furniture (an IKEA 3'x5' storage shelf on the opposite end of the room from the sub).

Any recommendations on how to go about finding the culprit (sub or amp or placement) causing the drop in sub volume?
I'm assuming this is using the onscreen db display? Do you have a SPL meter you can verify? Could be a bad mic or bad receiver.
post #10397 of 10639 Old 12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I'm assuming this is using the onscreen db display? Do you have a SPL meter you can verify? Could be a bad mic or bad receiver.
Yes, this is with the onscreen dB display during the Audyssey calibration process. I do have two Onkyo calibration mics and these were the same mics I used in calibration runs before. Both of them top out at ~60dB with the sub's gain dial maxed out. Also, I barely hear the burble from the sub during this phase, almost confirming the displayed 60dB output level.

If I had to look into a different SPL meter, are there any recommendations for a decently priced option?
post #10398 of 10639 Old 12-11-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Even an app on your phone would be good, just tonsee in what ballpark it is in. Also, try blowing into the microphone jack. People have done with with success, dust of particles in there

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
post #10399 of 10639 Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
not sure if anyone is still checking this thread....but I'll give things a try.

I've tried to read through the entire thread....got about 30 pages into it, and ran out of gas. Here's where I'm at. I ordered the 818 back in January of 2013. I had intended it to replace my Sony STR-DA5000 receiver, but the media stand that I had made wouldn't accommodate the center speaker, so I let the 818 sit in its box. I finally got the media stand issues worked out, and I'm getting ready to set up the 818. Here are my questions.

1) I have an Emotiva 2 channel amp that I use to drive the two front speakers in my 5.1 setup. I noticed that the 818 doesn't appear to have a 12V trigger for the main zone (zone 1), so I'm wondering how I'm going to trigger the external amp to turn on.
2) It looks like there is some new firmware available for the 818. I'm wondering if I should update the firmware before I do any type of setup.
3) It looks like some of the 818s are suffering from a bad chip/board issue. I plugged the 818 in, and it gave me some issues on some of the audio channels (sound dropping out), and the network option was grayed out. Looks like I'm going to be sending it back for repairs....bummer.

Thanks for reading.

- David

Last edited by propman07; 12-29-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ran audio tests
post #10400 of 10639 Old 12-30-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post
not sure if anyone is still checking this thread....but I'll give things a try.

I've tried to read through the entire thread....got about 30 pages into it, and ran out of gas. Here's where I'm at. I ordered the 818 back in January of 2013. I had intended it to replace my Sony STR-DA5000 receiver, but the media stand that I had made wouldn't accommodate the center speaker, so I let the 818 sit in its box. I finally got the media stand issues worked out, and I'm getting ready to set up the 818. Here are my questions.

1) I have an Emotiva 2 channel amp that I use to drive the two front speakers in my 5.1 setup. I noticed that the 818 doesn't appear to have a 12V trigger for the main zone (zone 1), so I'm wondering how I'm going to trigger the external amp to turn on.
2) It looks like there is some new firmware available for the 818. I'm wondering if I should update the firmware before I do any type of setup.
3) It looks like some of the 818s are suffering from a bad chip/board issue. I plugged the 818 in, and it gave me some issues on some of the audio channels (sound dropping out), and the network option was grayed out. Looks like I'm going to be sending it back for repairs....bummer.

Thanks for reading.
1. Iirc I used zone2 to power on my amp, but I no longer find that reliable so I just push the amp's power myself.
2. No, you're sending it back for warranty
3. See #2

Last edited by RPGMasta; 12-30-2015 at 07:52 AM.
post #10401 of 10639 Old 12-30-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post
1) noticed that the 818 doesn't appear to have a 12V trigger for the main zone (zone 1), so I'm wondering how I'm going to trigger the external amp to turn on.
I don't know about triggers nor Emotiva amps but if it can be turned on remotely, you could use a universal remote.

Quote:
You can if you want to but in my experience, firmware upgrades fixed pretty minor issues and introduced no major bugs nor features. So they can wait, but you can do it first. @RPGMasta above suggests you begin by sending the unit in for repairs. That might not be a bad idea.

Quote:
It is normal that network is grayed out if the receiver is not plugged into an ethernet router, but if it is and you know for sure that your network is up an running... Well it appears you should begin by the repairs indeed. The good news is that the procedure is very simple and relatively fast (most people got their unit back less than two weeks after registering the claims, and some as fast as 1 week, including shipping in both directions). It also looks like it fixes this for good.

post #10402 of 10639 Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 AM

So I recently sent my 818 in for repair, couple of questions: is anyone doing front wides or height? Any preferences? Wides is tough, height is more practical for me. I thought about the 200 dollar credit, but that's not enough for what this receiver brought to the table, Deon 4200 seems like a good choice, but not eager to spend another 1000+ on a receiver right now.
post #10403 of 10639 Old 01-04-2016, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
sell it and get a Denon 4100.
Sepen and RPGMasta like this.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #10404 of 10639 Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I just got my 818 back a couple days ago. It's funny you mentioned that, because upon first setup I had a similar issue. Usually I can get my old Velodyne to 75-76db on the initial Audyssey calibration. Last night it was very erratic, my sub was not doing anything at 2.5-3 on the dial, had to go to 4, hence starting at around 84-86db. I was wondering if this was affecting my neighbors experience, though I think Audyssey level sets everything to reference....right?
post #10405 of 10639 Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Well guys my 818 has been amazing to me but now going to a atmos setup I will be putting it in the classifieds.

This is a amazing avr for the price and never had one problem since I took it out and put it in my rack.

If you do not need atmos or any fancy bella and whistles do not upgrade this is one of the best avr I have ever owned .
post #10406 of 10639 Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
So I recently sent my 818 in for repair, couple of questions: is anyone doing front wides or height? Any preferences? Wides is tough, height is more practical for me. I thought about the 200 dollar credit, but that's not enough for what this receiver brought to the table, Deon 4200 seems like a good choice, but not eager to spend another 1000+ on a receiver right now.
I have an in wall 9.1 setup that I just got installed in my new house and I am running front highs. It sounds Amazing, I would go highs. That said I couldn't do wides do to the room limitations.
post #10407 of 10639 Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Posted my 818 in classified for anyone looking for one. Amazing avr. Still haven't had a chance to hook my new one up yet
post #10408 of 10639 Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Posted my 818 in classified for anyone looking for one. Amazing avr. Still haven't had a chance to hook my new one up yet
I just got my 818 back as well. Works perfectly and sounds great. However I boxed it up and bought a new Denon. Which model did you get?
post #10409 of 10639 Old 01-17-2016, 12:55 PM

X5200
post #10410 of 10639 Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Hey fellas,

Sorry if this question has been asked but way too many pages to read. I'm having trouble getting highs and wides both acknowledged. It says 9.2 with pre-outs. I've got to be missing something minor. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

GO BLUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page