Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 354 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes

post #10591 of 10639 Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccoll View Post
You got my hopes up but it didn't work. I guess it's time to look for a new unit.

It sure won't be an Onkyo unless I see something about how they have really stepped up their quality.
I found a workaround. Zone 2 does work for inputs other than my cable box. I almost exclusively use this zone for music as it is the speakers around the pool. I streamed Pandora through my bluetooth player and it works great. Tuner also works fine to zone 2.

I will try to squeeze some life out of this until something else breaks and then I'll just blow everything up and start over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10592 of 10639 Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Pour one out for my 818, it bit the dust today!

For a few months I had been needing to pull the plug for a minute to get it to work ... video stuff worked OK, but it would not make any sound until a hard reboot.

Today the reboot trick stopped working. I tried the usual voodoo... switching cable, factory reset, incantations. No dice. It won't even make sound in Audyssey setup mode, which should eliminate any possible configuration or source problems.

I'm going to investigate repair because the unit still meets my needs very well, but if repair is not practical... What do we buy next? I really liked Audyssey on this guy.
post #10593 of 10639 Old 01-26-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
I'm going to investigate repair because the unit still meets my needs very well, but if repair is not practical... What do we buy next? I really liked Audyssey on this guy.
Onkyo says that the parts needed for repair aren’t made anymore, so that likely won’t be an option. I ended up replacing my dead 818 with a Denon X4400H. It’s much more similar to the 818 than the current Onkyo models and even still has Audyssey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10594 of 10639 Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post
Onkyo says that the parts needed for repair aren’t made anymore, so that likely won’t be an option. I ended up replacing my dead 818 with a Denon X4400H. It’s much more similar to the 818 than the current Onkyo models and even still has Audyssey.
Thanks, that looks like a good unit. Seems like a lot of Onkyo folks are on team Denon now.

I'll give Onkyo a call and even call local repair shops, if there are any, to see if I can get a repair... I'd much prefer to keep my 818 if possible.

Because I am keeping my PJ and speakers for a while, anything new the replacement AVR did would pretty much be wasted on me. I don't have room for more channels, not getting 4k/HDR for a while, etc. The ol' 818 is perfect for my needs.
post #10595 of 10639 Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Guys I have a quick question, Should “lip sync” be enabled or disabled? It’s a setting in the hardware setup menu on the NR818 , Setup Menu > Hardware Setup > HDMI

I was just going through the settings on my AVR and realized that lip sync feature has been enabled on my AVR all these years of owning this AVR and I don’t recall ever coming across that feature
post #10596 of 10639 Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Angry

Has anyone been able to use the UWF-1 wireless adapter on this model? I read some old reviews on Amazon saying it worked for them, so opted to take a chance & order it. Inserted it in front usb port, went thru auto setup & was able to get a connection but wouldn't stream Pandora, so turned it off then on & had to redo setup again but now it just keeps saying "now connecting" & nothing happens. Called Onkyo support, his suggestion was to reset rcvr back to factory specs but I opted not to do that since would lose speaker settings & everything else. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts? Thx

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004;
Orbit TT Red Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
post #10597 of 10639 Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
Guys I have a quick question, Should “lip sync” be enabled or disabled? It’s a setting in the hardware setup menu on the NR818 , Setup Menu > Hardware Setup > HDMI
I've always had it enabled.
post #10598 of 10639 Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
Has anyone been able to use the UWF-1 wireless adapter on this model? I read some old reviews on Amazon saying it worked for them, so opted to take a chance & order it. Inserted it in front usb port, went thru auto setup & was able to get a connection but wouldn't stream Pandora, so turned it off then on & had to redo setup again but now it just keeps saying "now connecting" & nothing happens. Called Onkyo support, his suggestion was to reset rcvr back to factory specs but I opted not to do that since would lose speaker settings & everything else. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts? Thx
Solved! Dawned on me to try the rear usb port, connected without an issue. tadaaa

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004;
Orbit TT Red Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
post #10599 of 10639 Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Where in the setup menu of the NR818 do I Disable Auto Standby? For some reason I just saw “Auto standby” flashing on the front panel display of the NR818 on the receiver itself , I don’t recall ever enabling Auto standby
post #10600 of 10639 Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
Where in the setup menu of the NR818 do I Disable Auto Standby? For some reason I just saw “Auto standby” flashing on the front panel display of the NR818 on the receiver itself , I don’t recall ever enabling Auto standby
Page 76 of the manual.
post #10601 of 10639 Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Update on my dead 818, which had no audio output or networking. I found a Seattle-area shop that did Onkyo warranty and non-warranty work. They were able to fix it, but it required replacing the "main digital board" because the "audio IC" had failed on mine. It cost $330, but I wasn't ready for a $1k upgrade so I decided it was worth it .

The repairman showed me that the replacement board had a NEW sticker on the IC, and said that Onkyo had updated the part as it was used in other models, and was a problem in all of them.

I don't think that is what I read 'round here, maybe he was full of hot air... but I am just glad to have it back. Even if it poops out in a few more years that buys me time to do an upgrade on my terms.
post #10602 of 10639 Old 03-24-2019, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're in Perth, AU and had the hdmi-board replaced under warranty a year or two ago It's 5 or 6 years old from new. Apart from that the unit has been faultless and used daily for home theatre / tv with addition of a rotel amp for most of the pushing duties.

Last weekend we had a scheduled power outage, which had triggered a firmware update after the power returned. I was informed that nothing would show on the tv, even though the devices were turned on. Our TV is display only - the tx nr 818 drives our home theatre / tv

The display panel showed F/W update and showed net update. I chose yes, waited for the amp to shut down again. Waited for an hour then started looking online.

I tried powering off full and disconnecting power. Turned off other devices/unplugged.

Retried flashing via NET. error 3-57.

Power off again and tried reflashing via USB. error 3-57

Version: 1141-4104-??01-0000.

It will probably cost a few hundred at least just to be seen.

Distributor says this, quote " The situation with your unit is that either the VSP firmware cannot be seen during the update process ( represented by ?? in the firmware number ) or the firmware in the chip is corrupt causing a check sum error. In either case it will require attention at a service centre.

Unfortunately this has happened at power on/off stage." end quote

At this point there is still no video going to TV, but NET audio works and probably the other devices.

usually leaving power our for a long time should force a new update.. or can I do something via the rs232 port ??
post #10603 of 10639 Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hey everyone. Well I’m debating replacing my 818. Nothing wrong with it (knock on wood) but I just moved on to the EPSON Pro Cinema 6040 4Ke Projector. My 4K content won’t show as it says I don’t have the device(s) for it. So does the 818 just upscale 4K not pass thru? I’m looking at the TX-RZ730 to replace it. And thoughts there also? Thanks to all who respond.
post #10604 of 10639 Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
So does the 818 just upscale 4K not pass thru?
It upscales 1080p content to 4k.
post #10605 of 10639 Old 03-29-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You can try to force it manually but I am not sure it will work. The issue I see most often is that Onkyo doesn't really have a "master control" device for firmware updates. What this means is that there is no single device that can unilaterally update the software for any subsystem. Instead, they rely on having each subsystem up and running already and then simply send commands from the DSP chip telling the other chips to update their own software. The problem this creates is that if that if one of the subsystems fails on its update, that device now has no way to boot up and thus, cannot accept the command from the DSP to restart the update. In most cases I find that the only option is to remove the affected device and reprogram it using a Flash programmer. The good news is that these programmers are pretty inexpensive (under $100 US) but the chips often require some soldering skills to remove and then solder back in.

Also, it is possible that the VSP has another issue. The VSP is the chip with the "Marvell" logo on top and it is the same type of BGA design as the DSP that Onkyo repaired for you. As such, it (like the DSP) can suffer from broken solder balls. In your case this isn't likely since the failure happened during a firmware update but it is still possible.

If you want to try to force the VSP to update, you can do the following:

1) First, follow the instructions on the Onkyo website for downloading the latest update and copying it to a USB Memory stick.
2) Insert the USB memory stick in the front USB port and turn the Receiver on.
- it will take a minute or two for the DSP to fully boot up but you can tell that it is ready when you see lights flashing on the USB stick
3) Press and hold the "DISPLAY" button and while holding it down, press the "ON/STANDBY" button - this will bring up the MAIN FW level
4) Within 3 seconds, press the "RETURN" button - this will place you in the "manual" FW update menu
5) Use the Tuning wheel (circular buttons in the center of the unit that are used to tune in Radio stations) press the "UP or DOWN" button until "USB" is displayed. Next, use the "LEFT or RIGHT" button until "VSP" is displayed.
6) Once the menu shows "USB-->VSP", press the "ENTER" button (the button in the center of the wheel)

It should now try to update only the VSP.

If that doesn't work, someone is probably going to have to pull the firmware chip off and reprogram it. The part you need to update is: Q8040. It is a 16 pin device and if you use something like "ChipQuick" it shouldn't be too hard to remove. You would need to get your hands on a programmer and interface socket as well. I would recommend the "FlashCat Pro":

https://www.embeddedcomputers.net/pr...ashcatUSB_Pro/ -$60US

https://www.embeddedcomputers.net/pr...erialAdapters/ - look for the SOIC-16 adapter - ~$15US

The software might seem a bit confusing but this programmer is actually pretty easy to use. I have a copy of the firmware you need. If you decide to try this route, send me a PM and we can figure out how to connect.

HTH
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMaxPower View Post
We're in Perth, AU and had the hdmi-board replaced under warranty a year or two ago It's 5 or 6 years old from new. Apart from that the unit has been faultless and used daily for home theatre / tv with addition of a rotel amp for most of the pushing duties.

Last weekend we had a scheduled power outage, which had triggered a firmware update after the power returned. I was informed that nothing would show on the tv, even though the devices were turned on. Our TV is display only - the tx nr 818 drives our home theatre / tv

The display panel showed F/W update and showed net update. I chose yes, waited for the amp to shut down again. Waited for an hour then started looking online.

I tried powering off full and disconnecting power. Turned off other devices/unplugged.

Retried flashing via NET. error 3-57.

Power off again and tried reflashing via USB. error 3-57

Version: 1141-4104-??01-0000.

It will probably cost a few hundred at least just to be seen.

Distributor says this, quote " The situation with your unit is that either the VSP firmware cannot be seen during the update process ( represented by ?? in the firmware number ) or the firmware in the chip is corrupt causing a check sum error. In either case it will require attention at a service centre.

Unfortunately this has happened at power on/off stage." end quote

At this point there is still no video going to TV, but NET audio works and probably the other devices.

usually leaving power our for a long time should force a new update.. or can I do something via the rs232 port ??
post #10606 of 10639 Old 04-16-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have an old TX-NR818 but i want a new reciver that's supports 4K HDR i am looking on Denon AVR-X4400 or 4500 , do you think that it is fair to compare them to the old TX-NR818

Kef R500,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4K
post #10607 of 10639 Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
You can try to force it manually but I am not sure it will work. The issue I see most often is that Onkyo doesn't really have a "master control" device for firmware updates. What this means is that there is no single device that can unilaterally update the software for any subsystem. Instead, they rely on having each subsystem up and running already and then simply send commands from the DSP chip telling the other chips to update their own software. The problem this creates is that if that if one of the subsystems fails on its update, that device now has no way to boot up and thus, cannot accept the command from the DSP to restart the update. In most cases I find that the only option is to remove the affected device and reprogram it using a Flash programmer. The good news is that these programmers are pretty inexpensive (under $100 US) but the chips often require some soldering skills to remove and then solder back in.

Also, it is possible that the VSP has another issue. The VSP is the chip with the "Marvell" logo on top and it is the same type of BGA design as the DSP that Onkyo repaired for you. As such, it (like the DSP) can suffer from broken solder balls. In your case this isn't likely since the failure happened during a firmware update but it is still possible.

If you want to try to force the VSP to update, you can do the following:

1) First, follow the instructions on the Onkyo website for downloading the latest update and copying it to a USB Memory stick.
2) Insert the USB memory stick in the front USB port and turn the Receiver on.
- it will take a minute or two for the DSP to fully boot up but you can tell that it is ready when you see lights flashing on the USB stick
3) Press and hold the "DISPLAY" button and while holding it down, press the "ON/STANDBY" button - this will bring up the MAIN FW level
4) Within 3 seconds, press the "RETURN" button - this will place you in the "manual" FW update menu
5) Use the Tuning wheel (circular buttons in the center of the unit that are used to tune in Radio stations) press the "UP or DOWN" button until "USB" is displayed. Next, use the "LEFT or RIGHT" button until "VSP" is displayed.
6) Once the menu shows "USB-->VSP", press the "ENTER" button (the button in the center of the wheel)

It should now try to update only the VSP.

If that doesn't work, someone is probably going to have to pull the firmware chip off and reprogram it. The part you need to update is: Q8040. It is a 16 pin device and if you use something like "ChipQuick" it shouldn't be too hard to remove. You would need to get your hands on a programmer and interface socket as well. I would recommend the "FlashCat Pro":

https://www.embeddedcomputers.net/pr...ashcatUSB_Pro/ -$60US

https://www.embeddedcomputers.net/pr...erialAdapters/ - look for the SOIC-16 adapter - ~$15US

The software might seem a bit confusing but this programmer is actually pretty easy to use. I have a copy of the firmware you need. If you decide to try this route, send me a PM and we can figure out how to connect.

HTH
Todd
Where did you gain all your knowledge about the intricacies of receivers? Impressive.
post #10608 of 10639 Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
I have an old TX-NR818 but i want a new reciver that's supports 4K HDR i am looking on Denon AVR-X4400 or 4500 , do you think that it is fair to compare them to the old TX-NR818
Absolutely,go for it.
post #10609 of 10639 Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Where did you gain all your knowledge about the intricacies of receivers? Impressive.

The short story is that my old SR-605 died after many years of hard use and I decided to fix it. It took me 6 months but I worked through every single subsystem until I had figured out how these things work. I needed a hobby so I started buying broken Onkyo's off eBay, repairing them and then donated them to charities. Over the course of a couple of years I had repaired over 80 different receivers and figured out how to fix pretty much anything that could go wrong. The worst ones were those that were hit by lightning. Lots of damage when that happens.

Sadly I don't work on them much anymore. The local delivery guys got tired of delivering heavy receivers and started dropping them from greater and greater heights. Not only did they further damage the electronics (broken boards etc.) but the chassis damage wasn't fun to fix so I quit.

Good luck!
todd
post #10610 of 10639 Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've owned my NR818 for about 5 years now and never had the need for a clock (time) display function on the panel. We recently down-scaled, sold the hut off and moved into an apartment. The old lady won't allow my burrwood clock to go on the wall. "No more clutter!" and all that. Anyway, I hacked it around a bit and looked up the manual but can't find how to turn on the time display on the panel. Does it have this feature at all? Thank you, folks.
post #10611 of 10639 Old 07-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I know it does not have that feature. I have been all through the menus over the years and have never seen that, or any way to set a clock.
post #10612 of 10639 Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedead View Post
Anyway, I hacked it around a bit and looked up the manual but can't find how to turn on the time display on the panel. Does it have this feature at all?
No.
post #10613 of 10639 Old 08-17-2019, 11:11 AM

My receiver recently stopped decoding the audio format on blu rays. It is "stuck" in all channel stereo. Other sources (streaming sources like Neflix) work fine. It's just the blu ray that is being hard headed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #10614 of 10639 Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodoug View Post
My receiver recently stopped decoding the audio format on blu rays. It is "stuck" in all channel stereo. Other sources (streaming sources like Neflix) work fine. It's just the blu ray that is being hard headed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Figured it out. Blu Ray player was set to its default output (PCM) and the input setting for BD on the receiver was at its default of Last Valid for analog/PCM input.
post #10615 of 10639 Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Guys sadly gonna have to announce that I owned the king of kings 818 and went out and bought the onkyo 830 sucked and returned it .
Bought the deni x4500 hoping the audessey would be the same xt 32 and it would match the 818 for music ..its a great unit the denon but sadly will e returning it , final receiver is a marantz 7013 and if music still not sounding like my favorite 818 then back to gunt down an older 818 that Is running and hooe for the best ..I tried to get I to the atmos thing but my music is so important and both the denon x4500 and the onkyo rz 830 Re great for movies in 4k atmos but are seriously lacking in the music compared to the king 818 ...mine is unplugged and needing lots of unplugging everyday when I start it and very sad that I ca t get another music reciever that sounds like this one
post #10616 of 10639 Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mine was like that too, always needed to be unplugged, and one day that trick stopped working.

Call around, there are definitely places that will repair your 818. I did it, no regrets.

Good luck!
post #10617 of 10639 Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mine was like that too, always needed to be unplugged, and one day that trick stopped working.

Call around, there are definitely places that will repair your 818. I did it, no regrets.

Good luck!

Happy to say this is working

https://youtu.be/2gfM3eKk0tQ

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
post #10618 of 10639 Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

So bought a heat gun , ir thermometer not really needed but was useful and some 20 mm heat sinks and thermal adhesive .

1 -Slowly heat the dts chip about a minute to 300 f .
2 - let it cool to room temp and turn on your reciever ..your speakers icon should come up now .
3- use thermal adhesive or a heatsink with adhesive sticky tape on underside straight on dts chip .
4 - put it back together and enjoy ..

Fixed my 818 and 809 this way ..will also work on any onkyo no sound and no network issue as long as it has the ti dts chip which is the problem ,also wouldn't hurt to stick an ac infinity fan on that back hdmi board as well ..
All the best and keeping my 818 for as long as I can ..screw atmos as buying 3 new marantz and denon and onkyo did not make me happy at all on music ..
818 / 1010 are the king

klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
post #10619 of 10639 Old 09-28-2019, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Pretty cool, glad you got it fixed.

When I got mine done, the guy at the shop said that the replacement parts were updated somehow, so hopefully it won't happen again. If it does, I will consider doing it myself.
post #10620 of 10639 Old 09-29-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pretty cool, glad you got it fixed.

When I got mine done, the guy at the shop said that the replacement parts were updated somehow, so hopefully it won't happen again. If it does, I will consider doing it myself.
Yea horseflesh ,o am very happy that I finaly get my 818 up and running and also picked up the 809 with same issue and repaired it same way both working like a charm although I prefer the 818 audessey xt32 is superior..but I am grateful now I started it every morning and bam it works and no more unplugging a thousand times untill speakers come on ..

klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page