Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 356 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1027Likes

post #10651 of 10654 Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
So I also am living in the Seattle area and my 818 began shutting off. It then struggles to restart, eventually restarts. I factory reset got everything working then a week later shutting down 3 times in less than an hour. Would be curious to know potential repair costs and whether or not it's even worth fixing. Thanks!

So it is physically shutting off? That would point to a failing Main Relay circuit. It is actually a pretty easy fix if you have any experience with a soldering iron. I have fixed a bunch of these and guided several others on how to do the job. What happens here is that the Main CPU is running whenever the unit is plugged in (most people don't realize this). When you press the power button you are actually sending a command to the Main CPU telling it to turn the main relay on. I found that Onkyo has an issue in this circuit where a 1/2 watt resistor that is designed to bring the power to the relay down to 9V (from 12V) degrades. When this happens, it causes the relay (and often a small transistor and diode) to fail. Sounds like yours isn't dead yet (transistor and diode sound like they are ok) but you are going to want to change that relay and replace the resistor with a good wire wound 1% tolerance resistor.

Total repair cost to do it yourself would be less than $20 (including shipping of the parts). If the shops in the NW are anything like Houston, you can expect a $150 "evaluation fee" plus another $200 for the repair.

Send me a PM if you need instructions/guidance on how to do this.

HTH
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 10654 Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
So I also am living in the Seattle area and my 818 began shutting off. It then struggles to restart, eventually restarts. I factory reset got everything working then a week later shutting down 3 times in less than an hour. Would be curious to know potential repair costs and whether or not it's even worth fixing. Thanks!
My 818 had the classic no sound problem, and this place fixed it for $330.

http://usa.hitechrepair.com/

$330 is a big chunk of a new receiver, but for a variety of reasons fixing the 818 was a better idea for me.

Good luck!
post #10653 of 10654 Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
My NR818 is still going hard without any issues after owning it for close to 7 years now (Ever since it was released as i remember i got it a week after it was released on the market here in the US)

I would have upgraded my TV to a 4K TV but the fact that i'll then also need to upgrade my receiver as the NR818 doesn't have 4k Passthrough is the reason im still using my 55 Inch LG EC9300 OLED and sticking with 1080p for a couple more years.
Same reason here, my 818 stopped working but if I get it fixed a new and LARGER 4K TV is out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10654 of 10654 Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Onkyo 818 suddenly goes like this. What seems to be the problem? I've done a reset few times by pressing power + cbl/sat buttons at the same time but still problem occurs. Also, the listening mode keeps on changing by itself and the physical buttons and remote does not work anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20191222161931_1577003619465.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2657272  

Last edited by weng2x; 12-22-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page