The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #2071 of 2086 Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Does anyone have information on where I could buy a DSP board for my crippled RX-A1020? I've spent a couple hours on the net and haven't found a good source.

They can't re-solder things and now want another $330 + tax for a new DSP board install. I'm thinking it's time to cut my losses...... Five year old receiver used daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2086 Old 10-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Does anyone have information on where I could buy a DSP board for my crippled RX-A1020? I've spent a couple hours on the net and haven't found a good source.

They can't re-solder things and now want another $330 + tax for a new DSP board install. I'm thinking it's time to cut my losses...... Five year old receiver used daily.
I can’t tell you what to do obviously. But I would look to upgrade the receiver at this point. The connectivity options on the newer models, in my opinion, would move me to upgrade from that model, rather than invest more money into it.
azz7686 likes this.
post #2073 of 2086 Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

I'm considering getting the 7850 from costco since there has always been a buzz with my 1020 in any mode other than pure direct and it would be a hassle to split and strip HDCP from 4kHDR sources for my new oled. What did you think of the 7850's power output relative to the 1020? I'm a little dubious as the unit weighs about 15lbs less.

If you really love the 1020 and feel like paying for shipping from LA, you're welcome to mine for a song.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2086 Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 7850 is sufficient for my Family Room use. The "normal volume" for TV watching has to be set marginally higher than the 1020 but that's to be expected. With the latest price decrease at Costco, it's a good value receiver.

I'm still tossing on repairing the 1020. I've got two others in the house on my game room and my theater room. If we used the theater more I probably would have upgraded there and migrated that 1020 to the Family room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Type View Post
I'm considering getting the 7850 from costco since there has always been a buzz with my 1020 in any mode other than pure direct and it would be a hassle to split and strip HDCP from 4kHDR sources for my new oled. What did you think of the 7850's power output relative to the 1020? I'm a little dubious as the unit weighs about 15lbs less.

If you really love the 1020 and feel like paying for shipping from LA, you're welcome to mine for a song.
post #2075 of 2086 Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DC Out operations

Because of the problems I've had with the 1020 in the Family Room, I'm thinking of adding a USB exhaust fan to the equipment cabinet in my theater room similar to this
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16800996313

I've looked in the manual for my RX-A1020 and see that the DC OUT JACK on the back is 5V @.5A but can't find anything about power control. I know the USB port is powered only when the receiver is on but found no mention in the manual about the DC OUT. I think the power remains on the USB if you enable Network STDBY too.

I'd rather not have something plugged in the front of the unit (door down) and I'd like for it not to run when not required.

Before I buy the fan and make room in the cabinet, does anyone know if the DC OUT is controlled by the power state of the receiver?

TIA
post #2076 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RX-A1020 "4K Support", how will this work with todays 4K TV's?

Hi!

Quick details about my setup:

- Samsung 55 8005 (2011)
- Yamaha RX-A1020 (2012?) 5.1 surround

Samsung TV is 1080p, Receiver has all my devices connected directly to it, and is feeding the TV with HDMI output - everything works perfectly.

(Relevant) Devices:
- Xbox One X
- PS4 Pro
- HTPC w/Kodi

I'd like to upgrade my TV, and I'm looking at the Samsung 75" Q*FN series (I want the Q9FN, but budget might put me at Q7FN...)

Questions:

- How will this affect how I connect my devices? My RX-A1020 "supports" 4K. But after some reading I understand that this is HDMI 1.4 and 30FPS max.

- My current HTPC won't be able to run 4K video - so that's not an issue yet. But how about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X; Is any 4K games running at more than 30FPS?

- HDMI 2.0 is required for 60FPS correct? This is also required for HDCP 2.2, required for Netflix etc (which I usually use my Chromecast for)

- Will I be required to plug my Xbox and PS4 directly into the TV to get the best possible result? As I said, I don't think they ever run 4K at more than 30FPS, but I could be wrong?

- Samsung 2018 and DTS...; If I have to plug everything directly into my TV, I have to use ARC right? How will this affect my setup? IIRC the ARC connection isn't good enough for HD-audio, and of course won't support DTS because of Samsung's new limitation.
My blurays could be re-encoded for my HTPC, but I'd rather not...

Sorry for my babling here, I'd appreciate any help I can get to know where I'll be with a new TV. I don't want to invest in a new receiver - it's working perfectly, and I'm very happy with today's solution.

Regarding TV;
As I probably won't stretch my budget to the Q9FN or Q8DN (EU version of Q8FN, also full array backlight), my option is Q7FN or Q6FN, which I'm not sure have that much of a difference other than aesthetics, at a very similar price (10% difference).

Are there other TV's than the Samsung Q-series I should consider? Low latency is a must, and as high light level as possible, but with a decent enough contrast...

Sorry for all my questions, I appreciate any thoughts on the matter!
post #2077 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordemoniac View Post
Hi!

Quick details about my setup:

- Samsung 55 8005 (2011)

- Yamaha RX-A1020 (2012?) 5.1 surround

Samsung TV is 1080p, Receiver has all my devices connected directly to it, and is feeding the TV with HDMI output - everything works perfectly.

(Relevant) Devices:

- Xbox One X

- PS4 Pro

- HTPC w/Kodi

I'd like to upgrade my TV, and I'm looking at the Samsung 75" Q*FN series (I want the Q9FN, but budget might put me at Q7FN...)

Questions:

- How will this affect how I connect my devices? My RX-A1020 "supports" 4K. But after some reading I understand that this is HDMI 1.4 and 30FPS max.

- My current HTPC won't be able to run 4K video - so that's not an issue yet. But how about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X; Is any 4K games running at more than 30FPS?

- HDMI 2.0 is required for 60FPS correct? This is also required for HDCP 2.2, required for Netflix etc (which I usually use my Chromecast for)

- Will I be required to plug my Xbox and PS4 directly into the TV to get the best possible result? As I said, I don't think they ever run 4K at more than 30FPS, but I could be wrong?

- Samsung 2018 and DTS...; If I have to plug everything directly into my TV, I have to use ARC right? How will this affect my setup? IIRC the ARC connection isn't good enough for HD-audio, and of course won't support DTS because of Samsung's new limitation.

My blurays could be re-encoded for my HTPC, but I'd rather not...

Sorry for my babling here, I'd appreciate any help I can get to know where I'll be with a new TV. I don't want to invest in a new receiver - it's working perfectly, and I'm very happy with today's solution.

Regarding TV;

As I probably won't stretch my budget to the Q9FN or Q8DN (EU version of Q8FN, also full array backlight), my option is Q7FN or Q6FN, which I'm not sure have that much of a difference other than aesthetics, at a very similar price (10% difference).

Are there other TV's than the Samsung Q-series I should consider? Low latency is a must, and as high light level as possible, but with a decent enough contrast...

Sorry for all my questions, I appreciate any thoughts on the matter!

The Aventage will do 4K upscale, which isn’t really 4K. The 4K devices (Xbox X, UHD Blu Ray player) would be downgraded to 1080p (with “upscale” to 4K) if connected directly to the Yamaha. Furthermore, your receiver doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 required to play real 4K content.

Best choice is to connect 4K devices to TV for image and let sound go from Tv to AVR. Just my two cents, let’s hear what others have to say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2078 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
The Aventage will do 4K upscale, which isn’t really 4K. The 4K devices (Xbox X, UHD Blu Ray player) would be downgraded to 1080p (with “upscale” to 4K) if connected directly to the Yamaha. Furthermore, your receiver doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 required to play real 4K content.

Best choice is to connect 4K devices to TV for image and let sound go from Tv to AVR. Just my two cents, let’s hear what others have to say...

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure RX-A1020 has 4K passthrough.
Is HDCP 2.2 required for games as well...?

Yes. Connecting directly is an option, as I'm stuck with that bulky connection box on the new TV's anyway (it's HUGE on the 2018's).
But how do I get the best audio possible back to the AVR?
post #2079 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure RX-A1020 has 4K passthrough.

Is HDCP 2.2 required for games as well...?

Yes. Connecting directly is an option, as I'm stuck with that bulky connection box on the new TV's anyway (it's HUGE on the 2018's).

But how do I get the best audio possible back to the AVR?

As I said, no way the Aventage 1020 can do 4K due to lack of HDCP 2.2.

post #2080 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
As I said, no way the Aventage 1020 can do 4K due to lack of HDCP 2.2.

You must choose between better audio or 4K. Device hooked to AVR = better audio, device to TV and then to AVR = Pure 4K and slightly worse audio. Or, perhaps the Yamaha can still decode Dolby Tru and HD Master even if hooked to TV, which is your best scenario.

post #2081 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You must choose between better audio or 4K. Device hooked to AVR = better audio, device to TV and then to AVR = Pure 4K and slightly worse audio. Or, perhaps the Yamaha can still decode Dolby Tru and HD Master even if hooked to TV, which is your best scenario.

Exactly. I guess directly to the TV is really my only option for the consoles. I got confused with the spec sheet for my receiver. It does say "4K passthrough and 4K upscaling", but I guess it still isn't really compatible.
RX-A1020 Specs

But anyways; ARC or Optical will be my only option then? Are there other devices for getting the audio from TV to AVR without being limited to the low bandwith it has? Does AVR automatically compress the audio...?

Btw, Are there any TV's I should consider other than Q9FN? Or maybe I should say Q7FN, which is closer to my budget...
post #2082 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread

Quote:
HDMI-ARC will not carry Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA. He’d have to have a second HDMI for audio going to the AVR.
Quote:
Exactly. I guess directly to the TV is really my only option for the consoles. I got confused with the spec sheet for my receiver. It does say "4K passthrough and 4K upscaling", but I guess it still isn't really compatible.
RX-A1020 Specs
But anyways; ARC or Optical will be my only option then? Are there other devices for getting the audio from TV to AVR without being limited to the low bandwith it has? Does AVR automatically compress the audio...?
You could try an HDMI splitter to send the audio from the consoles to the AVR via HDMI.
Or update to a 2015 or later AVR model that has 60fps 4K and HDCP 2.2.
Don’t know what you mean by “Does AVR automatically compress the audio…”

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 02-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #2083 of 2086 Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
HDMI-ARC will not carry Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA. He’d have to have a second HDMI for audio going to the AVR.

You could try an HDMI splitter to send the audio from the consoles to the AVR via HDMI.
Hi! Thank you, appreciate the answer.

What I meant was; If I try to play DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD (forget DTS, Samsung has dropped support), and ARC can't support TrueHD, what will happen if I try to play content with TrueHD?
Will I just not get any audio, or will the TV or "something" convert/compress it to be suitable for ARC?
post #2084 of 2086 Old 02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Hi! Thank you, appreciate the answer.

What I meant was; If I try to play DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD (forget DTS, Samsung has dropped support), and ARC can't support TrueHD, what will happen if I try to play content with TrueHD?
Will I just not get any audio, or will the TV or "something" convert/compress it to be suitable for ARC?
You're welcome. ... That's a question for the TV manufacturer, obviously, if you are playing something with an UHD audio stream through it. i suspect that at best, it will transcode it down to an ARC-compatible stream to pass back to the AVR over HDMI-ARC.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #2085 of 2086 Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 AM

I've gone for a Q8DN 75 inch (Q8FN in US) + 4 slim HDMI cables.
I'll use one for XBOX, one for PS4, and as now; One from each output on the receiver, so I can configure one TV input with Gamemode, and one without, so Logitech Harmony can choose if I want game mode or not (PS3 for games AND BluRay)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what will happen with audio.
post #2086 of 2086 Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I might try something like this for Kodi.
Would that work?
https://www.aten.com/au/en/products/...itters/vs182a/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page