How to adapt two-prong polarized plug to two-prong non-polarized receptacle - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha CR-400 Receiver, and the auxiliary power outlets are non-polarized. I want to connect a polarized plug from a CD player. So far, the only adapter I have found that sounds like it might work is a "Plug Adapter NEMA 1-15 Plug Non-Polarized to NEMA 1-15 Connector Polarized" (http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=345). While it sounds like it should work, and only costs $0.30/each, the shipping is over $13. So I have two questions: 1) will this work for my application, and 2) does anyone know where I can find such a plug locally? I am near Houston, TX, so I will also be researching electronics outlet stores like EPO.

Many thanks, in advance,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Get yourself a mill file and touch up the plug.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 AM

Hello, BILLVIVERETTE!

Look on Ebay or Amazon for something like "Universal to US Plug Adapter" with a US 2-prong male plug. This is an adapter that accepts many external US and international male plugs via its own female sockets (it supports US 2-prong polarized or even US 3-prong polarized) and at the other end of the adapter there is usually a US 2-prong non-polarized male plug. Indeed, most of these (or even perhaps all?) universal adapters have at one end a US 2-prong non-polarized plug; I believe they do this on purpose to make it more universal, for a 2-prong non-polarized plug can be inserted into either a 2-prong or 3-prong outlet, polarized or non-polarized, grounded or non-grounded.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

P.S.: By he way, these adapters are usually very cheap, sometimes including free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 813
Beware of making changes to polarized plugs as by turning the plug around, you've electrified the neutral return which is used as your ground. That's why the plug is designed the way it is as electric standards have changed over the years.

If changing the shape of the larger plug blade, make sure you get the plug installed with the adapted blade going into the larger outlet opening as it does make a difference to the guy working on the line, down the line.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Beware of making changes to polarized plugs as by turning the plug around, you've electrified the neutral return which is used as your ground. That's why the plug is designed the way it is as electric standards have changed over the years.

If changing the shape of the larger plug blade, make sure you get the plug installed with the adapted blade going into the larger outlet opening as it does make a difference to the guy working on the line, down the line.

You have a valid point, but it applies mostly to lighting equipment, and power-transformerless gear. With devices that have a power transformer, its does not matter.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is there a way to use a non polarized adapter ina regular 3 prong outlet?

post #7 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Anyone?

post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3362 Post(s)
Liked: 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

You have a valid point, but it applies mostly to lighting equipment, and power-transformerless gear. With devices that have a power transformer, its does not matter.

Some equipment including a transformer ties the neutral to chassis ground. You should not find any modern equipment that does so, as it is against code, but in the primordial past I have had major headaches with such equipment on the test bench and on the job.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page