The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3943Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10831 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
TorTorden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Researching AVR's to replace my aging 3801. Not really planning on going to 7.1 (WAF and space constraints).

If I am running a standard 5.1 setup, do you all think the 4520CI is overkill for what I have or should I look at something like a x4000 or perhaps something else? The 4520CI looks like a smokin hot deal on a great AVR.

I tend to keep these receivers for a while and looking for excellent sound for my new Goldenear Sat3s and Sat 5.

Thanks!
No such thing as overkill in this hobby, it's called headroom instead :-P
Matt2026 likes this.
TorTorden is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10832 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,296
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked: 8209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You don't use lossless audio such as DTS HD MSTR or Dolby TrueHD?

No, NEO:X sounds better to me with 11.2 channels. But I might play around some more when I get the time - doesn't cost anything ( other than time ) to try other settings !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is online now  
post #10833 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Member
 
goone30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone running the receiver with 4 ohm speaker? does not say in the spec
Thanks
goone30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10834 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
bgoering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by goone30 View Post
Anyone running the receiver with 4 ohm speaker? does not say in the spec
Thanks
Works great with my Triads - all 4 ohm
bgoering is offline  
post #10835 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 2299
Quote:
Originally Posted by goone30 View Post
Anyone running the receiver with 4 ohm speaker? does not say in the spec
Thanks
Works great with my JTR 212's.
raynist is offline  
post #10836 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Member
 
goone30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you guys for the reply will try to run with sonus faber speaker
goone30 is offline  
post #10837 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by goone30 View Post
Anyone running the receiver with 4 ohm speaker? does not say in the spec
Thanks
It is 100% 4ohm rated.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #10838 of 14141 Old 12-26-2014, 11:45 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
...All Onkyo/Integra receivers too; THX Ultra2 Plus certified.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10839 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...All Onkyo/Integra receivers too; THX Ultra2 Plus certified.
Um, I know that. So?

This is a Denon 4520 thread, didn't see anyone asking about Onkyo and Integra 4 ohm ratings...
Schwa and Johnla like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #10840 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,536
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4838 Post(s)
Liked: 5155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...All Onkyo/Integra receivers too; THX Ultra2 Plus certified.
Um, I know that. So?

This is a Denon 4520 thread, didn't see anyone asking about Onkyo and Integra 4 ohm ratings...
Nothing but another forum ban will prevent him from posting irrelevancies and drivel on threads in which he has nothing useful to contribute. Best to Ignore. He doesn't even own a D/M model but has somehow infested all of these threads.
Schwa, gsr and Johnla like this.
batpig is online now  
post #10841 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Member
 
goone30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone order the 4520ci from BHPhoto?
goone30 is offline  
post #10842 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
bgoering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by goone30 View Post
Thank you guys for the reply will try to run with sonus faber speaker
Recommend you lie to the AVR and tell it that your speakers are 8 ohm however. Gives a bit more headroom.
bgoering is offline  
post #10843 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 12:24 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Um, I know that. So?

This is a Denon 4520 thread, didn't see anyone asking about Onkyo and Integra 4 ohm ratings...
I am so sorry; I totally forgot which thread I was in.

* I simply mentioned, ,,, there was nothing more than that.

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-27-2014 at 12:32 PM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10844 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 12:31 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Nothing but another forum ban will prevent him from posting irrelevancies and drivel on threads in which he has nothing useful to contribute. Best to Ignore. He doesn't even own a D/M model but has somehow infested all of these threads.
Please, refrain from personal negative remarks towards other members. If you have a personal issue with another member, keep it out of the threads.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-27-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
NorthSky is offline  
post #10845 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by goone30 View Post
Anyone order the 4520ci from BHPhoto?
I haven't ordered a 4520 from them but I've ordered a laptop and a camera from them in the past with great results.
I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right for you.
I do have a 4520 also and recommend it also, if it fits your needs.
laserjock II is offline  
post #10846 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Anyone know if the 4520 can handle a 2 channel 24bit/192kHz track from an Oppo 103D using HDMI?
It plays the 5.1 channel 24bit/96kHz fine.
Thanks for any input and sorry if this has been answered in the past but I couldn't find it if so.
laserjock II is offline  
post #10847 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Anyone know if the 4520 can handle a 2 channel 24bit/192kHz track from an Oppo 103D using HDMI?
It plays the 5.1 channel 24bit/96kHz fine.
Thanks for any input and sorry if this has been answered in the past but I couldn't find it if so.
Of course it does, and even a multichannel Dolby TrueHD 5.1 @ 192kHz/24-bit (HDMI), like this guy here below:



♦ Some DVD Audio discs with 24/192 stereo tracks, some Blu-ray Audio (Pure Audio) discs, ...same thing.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10848 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,930
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
The 4520 also handles the decoded 192Khz, 24 bit Dolby True HD track. So from a Sony PS4 it receives a 5.1, 192Khz, 24bit multi-channel pcm signal to the 4520.(I have my PS4 set to pcm output instead of bitstreaming)

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10849 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,793
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The 4520 also handles the decoded 192Khz, 24 bit Dolby True HD track. So from a Sony PS4 it receives a 5.1, 192Khz, 24bit multi-channel pcm signal to the 4520.(I have my PS4 set to pcm output instead of bitstreaming)
But the DSP chip in the 4520 most probably down-samples the 192 kHz input signal to 48 kHz prior to processing when Audyssey engaged.
mogorf is online now  
post #10850 of 14141 Old 12-27-2014, 05:20 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
But the DSP chip in the 4520 most probably down-samples the 192 kHz input signal to 48 kHz prior to processing when Audyssey engaged.
Yes. ...Indeed.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10851 of 14141 Old 12-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Kingcobra777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had the 4520 for a week and I have a question about NEO-X . I have a 9.1 speaker setup with Wides and Back Surrounds. How do I get all 9 of these to be in use when watching TV, primarily movies such as HBO programs, nothing with an actual 9 channel soundtrack.

I have switched sound modes via Sound Mode Movie button between NEO: X FW and NEO:X SB. NEO:X SB gives me Back Surrounds but not Wides and NEO:X FW gives me Wides but no Back Surrounds. What am I missing ?

I have the AMP setup on 7.1 + Zone 2 is this the correct setup? Should I change it to Custom and change the Heights terminal to Wides output since I'm not using Heights ?


thanks in advance for the help and sorry is this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything in searching this thread.

Matt

Last edited by Kingcobra777; 12-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Kingcobra777 is offline  
post #10852 of 14141 Old 12-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobra777 View Post
I have had the 4520 for a week and I have a question about NEO-X . I have a 9.1 speaker setup with Wides and Back Surrounds. How do I get all 9 of these to be in use when watching TV, primarily movies such as HBO programs, nothing with an actual 9 channel soundtrack.

I have switched sound modes via Sound Mode Movie button between NEO: X FW and NEO:X SB. NEO:X SB gives me Back Surrounds but not Wides and NEO:X FW gives me Wides but no Back Surrounds. What am I missing ?

I have the AMP setup on 7.1 + Zone 2 is this the correct setup? Should I change it to Custom and change the Heights terminal to Wides output since I'm not using Heights ?


thanks in advance for the help and sorry is this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything in searching this thread.

Matt
I believe you have to select 9.1ch (SB/FH/FW) in amp assign.
bluer101 is offline  
post #10853 of 14141 Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Kingcobra777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I believe you have to select 9.1ch (SB/FH/FW) in amp assign.
Thanks, I'll try that. BTW love your Martycube's . I just built two as well. Not pretty but behind an AT screen. I might PM you about your Inuke settings...

Matt
Kingcobra777 is offline  
post #10854 of 14141 Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,536
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4838 Post(s)
Liked: 5155
You are on a 7ch mode for amp assignment but are trying to run 9 ch simultaneously so..... the math ain't on your side.
batpig is online now  
post #10855 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just found this review on the 4520, which you might have already read, but was just curious if any owners had an opinion on it.

Thanks!

-Nap
napski is offline  
post #10856 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 AM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by napski View Post
Just found this review on the 4520, which you might have already read, but was just curious if any owners had an opinion on it.

Thanks!

-Nap
Hey, thx for that review man!

* Did you notice; he changed some of the speaker's crossovers manually, after the fact (after Audyssey's calibration).
...From what the Denon 4520 receiver selected (high x-over points), to much lower ones!
...Which is a no no; he ended up with no EQ @ all @ certain audio frequencies (between the 4520's auto selected x-over points and the ones he manually chose/lowered, afterwards).

<<>> He lowered the dipole surrounds from 200Hz (auto) to 150Hz (manual). ...So from 150 to 200Hz there is no EQ.
And! The subwoofer channel is getting the bass from them dipole surrounds, from 150Hz and below. ...Localisable subwoofer now.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-29-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: ... ;
NorthSky is offline  
post #10857 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,470
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hey, thx for that review man!

* Did you notice; he changed some of the speaker's crossovers manually, after the fact (after Audyssey's calibration).
...From what the Denon 4520 receiver selected (high x-over points), to much lower ones!
...Which is a no no (he ended up with no EQ @ all @ certain audio frequencies (between the 4520's auto selected x-over points and the ones he manually chose/lowered, afterwards).

<<>> He lowered the dipole surrounds from 200Hz (auto) to 150Hz (manual). ...So from 150 to 200Hz there is no EQ.
And! The subwoofer channel is getting the bass from them dipole surrounds, from 150Hz and below. ...Localisable subwoofer now.
I had a similar situation with my bi-amp setup... What I did was go active (MiniDSP), and raise the gain on my horns... Which in turn lowered my crossover from 250Hz to 60Hz. I then ran Audyssey to calibrate the setup.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #10858 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 12:23 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,930
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
But the DSP chip in the 4520 most probably down-samples the 192 kHz input signal to 48 kHz prior to processing when Audyssey engaged.
So does the same thing apply whether content is bitstreamed or sent as multi-channel PCM?

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10859 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So does the same thing apply whether content is bitstreamed or sent as multi-channel PCM?
Yep.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10860 of 14141 Old 12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I had a similar situation with my bi-amp setup... What I did was go active (MiniDSP), and raise the gain on my horns... Which in turn lowered my crossover from 250Hz to 60Hz. I then ran Audyssey to calibrate the setup.
Hi Ron, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

So, the MiniDSP was your savior, in this similar circumstance?
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-29-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: HNY
NorthSky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off