The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 472 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3943Likes

post #14131 of 14141 Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sutton View Post
I bought my 4520cl in 2014 and never had a problem till last night. The screen was either solid green or just blank. Today when I took the hdmi cable from my directv receiver and plugged it directly into my tv the picture came back on so I knew it was a receiver issue not a tv one. I played around with it after that and plugged the hdmi into hdmi2 instead of 1 and the picture came back! I’m guessing my hdmi 1 input is shot and there’s nothing I can do about it?
Possibly, but it is worth unplugging the receiver for at least 10 minutes (soft reset) to make sure. Anytime a receiver does weird stuff, the first thing to do is a soft reset. There are other, more drastic resets to try after that in post 3 of this thread.
Matt2026 likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14132 of 14141 Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good to know. I think I do a very soft reset once in awhile when things go wrong “like a 10 Sec reset” lol. I will try the 10 min one next time. Crazy thing is when something’s not right I’ve got so many things that could be at fault lol. Reset the directv receiver or reset the receiver or is it the Fios modem or is there a plug loose lol. I must have 100 wires behind my table
Matt2026 and drh3b like this.

Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
post #14133 of 14141 Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
delays and levels in denon receivers when input is sacd analog?

Hi All

I'm using a cambridge audio BD752 player to play SACd's through the analog multichannel input to a Denon AVR-4520.
Now, my question is now that audysee has set up the denon, when listening to the sacd, do I need to replicate the distances and levels in the BD752 menus just like the audysee setup in the denon, or is the denon still handling all that even when listening in "PURE DIRECT" to get the appropriate subwoofer delays etc?
In this case it's the BD752 doing all the decoding?
I can find no information in the denon manual to this effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14134 of 14141 Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
When listening with Audyssey the delay are as set by the Room correction.
In pure direct mode the room correction is bypassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14135 of 14141 Old 07-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B SUBASCHANDRA BOS View Post
When listening with Audyssey the delay are as set by the Room correction.
In pure direct mode the room correction is bypassed.

Room correction - are you referring to the equaliser (which is bypassed) or the distance/level settings?
post #14136 of 14141 Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
On pure direct mode the signal is directly fed to the AVR amp through the volume port.
I’m quite sure distance, eq, LFE and cross over is bypassed and probably level adjustments is still valid.

post #14137 of 14141 Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6347 Post(s)
Liked: 5683
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
Hi All

I'm using a cambridge audio BD752 player to play SACd's through the analog multichannel input to a Denon AVR-4520.
Now, my question is now that audysee has set up the denon, when listening to the sacd, do I need to replicate the distances and levels in the BD752 menus just like the audysee setup in the denon, or is the denon still handling all that even when listening in "PURE DIRECT" to get the appropriate subwoofer delays etc?
In this case it's the BD752 doing all the decoding?
I can find no information in the denon manual to this effect.
The distance settings are not bypassed in Pure Direct mode (or any surround mode).
post #14138 of 14141 Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 PM

Wrong - I did some testing with REW today using the "multichannel EXT in" analog inputs.

In both direct and Pure direct, level and distance settings are bypassed (or make no difference). Note that this is with the 5.1 ANALOG EXT input. With HDMI, I didn't test.
post #14139 of 14141 Old 08-01-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 4849 Post(s)
Liked: 5166
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
Wrong - I did some testing with REW today using the "multichannel EXT in" analog inputs.

In both direct and Pure direct, level and distance settings are bypassed (or make no difference). Note that this is with the 5.1 ANALOG EXT input. With HDMI, I didn't test.
I actually don't think AlanP is wrong -- rather, I think you're misattributing the bypass of settings to the surround mode, whereas I think it's actually a factor of using the EXT IN analog inputs.
Alan P likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #14140 of 14141 Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I actually don't think AlanP is wrong -- rather, I think you're misattributing the bypass of settings to the surround mode, whereas I think it's actually a factor of using the EXT IN analog inputs.
Quite possibly - hence my statement that I didn't check this with an hdmi input. My original question was concerning the analog inputs and nothing else. I've just got a REW setup, so it was nice to be able to confirm my thoughts once and for all.

It makes sense really, the AVR SHOULD just take the analog inputs, amplify them, and pass them on. Nothing else.
I was hoping to be able to pass DSD directly from the BD752 to the 4520, as it is supposed to be possible, but only ever get PCM over hdmi. So I only use the analog inputs now as it sounds better.
post #14141 of 14141 Old 09-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
As some here know, my Denon AVR-4520CI kinda died a few months ago, and I replaced it with a Pioneer SC-65 that I had been using as a second zone receiver. This Pioneer SC-65 is under-powered!!! It shut-down 3 times this past weekend, as I played BluRays at ~8dB below reference. My room is 3750cu.ft., and my speakers are generally 14ft away from my seating position. And I already have my front qty3 main speakers powered by an Emotiva XPA3, so the Pioneer is only running qty6 channels. The Surround Rears are 4ohm, and I'm wondering if that is the culprit. Whatever, it is WEAK.

So I know my old Denon was a Flagship model, and my Pioneer is a second-tier unit. Perhaps the THX-Ultra certified SC-67 would have been sufficient, but I assume NOT, due to the shutdown I experienced was well-below reference. And to see the Elite models were still rated with 1kHz instead of full-range, that's further evidence of admitted weakness. I only spent ~$300 for it, but for anyone who paid close to the $1600 list price, I hope they got all the power they needed!

Anyway - My old Denon is not totally dead - the amps are still fully functioning, but the unit has a blown DSP (Denon no longer carries replacement chipsets) so the ONLY input that functions is the 7CH analog In. That's perfect - I'm going to use the Pioneer as a 100% Pre-Amp - I'll continue to send the front qty3 channels to the XPA3, and the remaining channels will be fed to the Denon. I'm excited to put the Denon back into useful service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	2620368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	942.3 KB
ID:	2620370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2620372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	659.0 KB
ID:	2620374  
Matt2026 and drh3b like this.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page