Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #691 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
But I was wrong. While they demoed using their test tone generator to make sweeps, the actual comment was that Lonnie knew the 1/3 octave bands, and they equalized at a single point based on 1/3 octave bands using a phone as SPL meter.
What kind of room was this?
Big hotel conference space or was it a room that could be a large home theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
All I will say is it looks like every new receiver and pre being released by D&M, Pioneer, Yamaha (speculating but would bet $ on it) and Onkyo this year will have Atmos.
They will also all have some flavor of "Jazz Club" or "Concert Hall". Doesn't make it the next big thing. It makes it a feature that has yet to prove itself.

Quite frankly, I could care less about ATMOS and I'm not in need of the XMC-1. At this point I don't feel like driving 3.5 hours to hear a theater equipped with Atmos, and I'm pleased with the sound and feature set of my UMC-200. Atmos is a waste of my time, and further discussion of it on a thread about a pre-pro that will not have it upon release is a waste of your time, my time, the mods' time, and everyone's time. So I really don't see the point.

Finally, I also spend time at the Lounge, and trust me, there is nobody over there blindly praising the XMC-1 as being on-time. There are those who are upset that it still isn't available for purchase, and there are those who are interested but not in a pinch for a new pre-pro and would rather have it released relatively bug-free than released with software issues.

If you actually read the posts on the Lounge, you would know this. Perhaps you should ask kbarnes701, he spends a bunch of time there. He's emocustomer. Used to be SoundChimp and something else, too.
carfanm likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread

Last edited by thrillcat; 06-24-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #693 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
^ Just a response to a post, I have mixed feelings about that new development the more that is released about it, I do not have the ability to install ceiling speakers without a significant expense. I maintain my point that the handling of this by Emotiva will have an impact, I am but one small example. Dirac implemented well on the XMC-1 - then I will be tempted to come back. I apologize for not keeping up with who is posting what on the Lounge - Bootman is an easy one to figure out, but honestly I have better things to do with my time then keep up with details like that. Glad you survived the crazy weather up there last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ Just a response to a post, I have mixed feelings about that new development the more that is released about it, I do not have the ability to install ceiling speakers without a significant expense. I maintain my point that the handling of this by Emotiva will have an impact, I am but one small example. Dirac implemented well on the XMC-1 - then I will be tempted to come back. I apologize for not keeping up with who is posting what on the Lounge - Bootman is an easy one to figure out, but honestly I have better things to do with my time then keep up with details like that. Glad you survived the crazy weather up there last week.
Wasn't singling you out, it was just the most recent post about Atmos in an "all the COOL upcoming AVRs are gonna have it" context that made me think, well, they'll all have Jazz Club, too.

As it stands, I'm not in the market for the XMC-1. All my interest in the XMC-1 is on a "in a year or two" basis. I might need more HDMI down the road. I might want balanced outs down the road. Dirac is interesting, but as it stands, my room sounds pretty darn good with just PEQ on the sub.

It's just odd to me that the people who seem to be the MOST PASSIONATE about the XMC-1 are the people who have no intention of purchasing it regardless of when it came out. They have nothing more to do but come on a thread for something they don't own/don't plan to own and bash it. I don't understand what makes a person do that? It's like me going out onto all the Lotus message boards and bashing them for not having cupholders. WHY WOULD I CARE???

We've had plenty of rain. Sunshine today is a nice change, more rain on the way. The state has been getting about a month's worth of rain every week. Soggy.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #695 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7738 Post(s)
Liked: 7023
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
What kind of room was this?
Big hotel conference space or was it a room that could be a large home theater?
Whatever sort of room it was, boot, that is an insane way to try to EQ a system and it does make for some worry that the guys attempting it actually have any idea what they are doing.
post #696 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Whatever sort of room it was, boot, that is an insane way to try to EQ a system and it does make for some worry that the guys attempting it actually have any idea what they are doing.
Yeah, I don't know what was the thinking behind that.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #697 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

If you actually read the posts on the Lounge, you would know this. Perhaps you should ask kbarnes701, he spends a bunch of time there. He's emocustomer. Used to be SoundChimp and something else, too.
I agree. There are people in the Lounge who criticise the way the XMC-1 launch has been handled. And some who criticise the spec of the XMC-1. Many of the threads where such criticism takes place end up getting locked though, on a seemingly arbitrary basis. And some users have been banned, forum-wide, which is unfortunate. A specific thread ban, yes, but a ban on using the entire forum??

You are right, I am emocustomer there now. They banned my SoundChimp membership. Before SoundChimp, I was Audiomonkey, but that was the same account just with a change of username (which proBoards allows). I changed the name because it was too similar to another user's username (on a different forum).

I wouldn't say I spend "a bunch of time" there - I only have about 60 posts IIRC.

FWIW, I have been allowed back into the Lounge, for which I am extremely grateful to Andrew Robinson who agreed to re-consider the IP ban which the Mods imposed on me without warning. As a result of his generous gesture, I have been happy to be on my best behaviour in the Lounge going forward. Of course, my views on the XMC-1 haven't changed in the least, and I am sure Andrew realises this. It is still far too little, far too late IMO. But I will be less demonstrative over there in future in saying so
post #698 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
It's just odd to me that the people who seem to be the MOST PASSIONATE about the XMC-1 are the people who have no intention of purchasing it regardless of when it came out. They have nothing more to do but come on a thread for something they don't own/don't plan to own and bash it. I don't understand what makes a person do that?
Well, I can explain, from my own perspective, since you ask. I have two aims with using forums. One is to seek help and advice when I need it. I have been privileged to receive a huge amount of both over the years. The other is to give something back in return for the help so freely given to me by knowledgeable, enthusiastic forum members. So my aim wrt to any comments I make about the XMC-1 is to try to counter fanboy enthusiasm with some reality, with a view to, hopefully, give a counterpoint view which might help people avoid making an expensive mistake.

For example, I do think it was important to tell people about Atmos when knowledge about Atmos was not very widely available. For example, there was not, until very recently, even a single thread on the Lounge which dealt with Atmos. Someone, I believed, who was about to drop 2 grand on a processor deserved to know that there was a significant technology on the horizon, which every mainstream manufacturer would be implementing and which heralded the first new development in home AV sound for almost a decade. And which would not be featuring in the XMC-1. Whether you or anyone else wants Atmos is not the issue. The issue is that it exists, it is a revolution in HT sound and there are undoubtedly some people whose purchasing intent for the XMC-1 would be influenced by knowing more about it. If, after learning more, they decide they don't want Atmos and are happy with the XMC-1 and its 3-year's behind the times tech, that is absolutely fine. But at least they can make an informed decision.

Of course, at the time I believed the XMC-1 was going to be launched in February/April/May/June (delete as applicable) which was well before information about Atmos would be mainstream, and well before Atmos-enabled units were available to buy. Now, we know that the Atmos units will likely be on sale before the XMC-1, so that does make a difference somewhat, and is one of the reasons I have more or less left the XMC-1 threads over at the Lounge now.
RogerSch likes this.
post #699 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You are right, I am emocustomer there now. They banned my SoundChimp membership. Before SoundChimp, I was Audiomonkey, but that was the same account just with a change of username (which proBoards allows). I changed the name because it was too similar to another user's username (on a different forum).
Since you're into apes, how about DigitalBaboon, TheEnglishSimian, BritishGorilla?

And as for being reinstated, wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he'd never belong to a club that would have him as a member?
homeav and carfanm like this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #700 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Since you're into apes, how about DigitalBaboon, TheEnglishSimian, BritishGorilla?
Sonic the Hedgehog Silverback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
And as for being reinstated, wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he'd never belong to a club that would have him as a member?
It was indeed. But I am genuinely grateful to Andrew for lifting the ban. I don't use the Lounge very much but as a paying customer I'd like to think I could if I wanted to.
post #701 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is no secret I'm a member there but my personal thoughts on the XMC aside my biggest and most vocal gripe on them is the dreadful documentation.

Man can someone hire a tech writer please!

I actually like the company there and enjoy the music and movie threads and also helping out the occasional poor soul that wonders in not having a clue (and not coming here for fear of having his head shot off, lets be honest).

I can't wait for this processor to come out not because I am waiting for one (i'm not), but because then the forum will go back to being what it was.
A lounge.
And I shouldn't even be in this thread because it just drives me nuts....

BTW Sonic the Silverback is brilliant!

...and if anyone wants advice on getting around IP bans, just PM me.
It isn't free but the best things usually aren't.
post #702 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have no interest in the XMC-1. But, IMO, I can appreciate a company not wanting to release a flawed product just to save face. I'm sure the folks at emotiva are not proud of all the "eaten " words and promises (I wouldn't doubt that they were following this thread). It has to be hard to keep coming back with more delays. But I believe it's in their customers best interest. I hope they get it straight soon. BTW, they make really nice amps, I own three of them.
post #703 of 1211 Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Funny to hear your story KBarnes about getting banned then unbanned. Same thing happened to me. Banned without warning when other members were personally attacking me for criticizing Emo's handling of the XMC-1. Those other users of course received no punishment.

After that debacle, I will pop into to read some of the Emo threads, but I refuse to post there anymore. I am still torn on whether or not Emo will even get my money in the future with any amp purchases. They have a link to their forums on their official website and while I understand that forum mods are not "affiliated" with Emo, they should be more careful with outright banning people without any warning.

I will never understand all the pure Emotiva love that flows from certain members despite some pretty bad PR miscues on Emo's part. Don't get me wrong, they make great amps and such, but they have no clue how to properly market a product IMO.
post #704 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
Funny to hear your story KBarnes about getting banned then unbanned. Same thing happened to me. Banned without warning when other members were personally attacking me for criticizing Emo's handling of the XMC-1. Those other users of course received no punishment.

After that debacle, I will pop into to read some of the Emo threads, but I refuse to post there anymore. I am still torn on whether or not Emo will even get my money in the future with any amp purchases. They have a link to their forums on their official website and while I understand that forum mods are not "affiliated" with Emo, they should be more careful with outright banning people without any warning.

I will never understand all the pure Emotiva love that flows from certain members despite some pretty bad PR miscues on Emo's part. Don't get me wrong, they make great amps and such, but they have no clue how to properly market a product IMO.
Mostly agreed. They have done the right thing by me personally in reinstating me so I have no complaints about that at all and I posted the news in this thread because I am pretty sure that Emo staff and/or Lounge Mods do look in here, so I wanted to make my appreciation public. I had to appeal to Andrew Robinson not the Moderators there. Although their Mods are independent of Emo, the Lounge is seen as part of Emo, and as you say, is linked from their main site, so what happens on the Lounge is going to be considered as 'official' action by Emotiva I think. Perhaps their Mods need to realise that paying customers can't just be treated that way, without warning or discussion. Maybe this will happen in the future - who knows.

I do like Emo amps and have four and in the UK, even with carriage and our ludicrous 20% sales tax, they still represent the best amp value that anyone can find here IMO.
ohrbrcko and kt10r like this.
post #705 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Doesn't matter as long as it sounds-good-to-me™
Are you serious? You dial in only frequencies that fall on ISO third octave center frequencies, then adjust? What bandwith filter --third octave?

Why not sweep to find peaks, and the bandwidth of the peak?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 06-25-2014 at 03:53 AM.
post #706 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
^
Irony obviously doesn't work well in forum posts
xcapri79 and IgorZep like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #707 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
Unfortunately once you are outside the Lounge, the Emotiva fanboy logic concerning the execution, greatness and timeliness of the XMC-1 doesn't apply.

If the XMC-1 had Atmos, it would be heralded as a most significant development by those who now decry it. It is just the nature of fanboyism.
Coming from someone who has been banned from the lounge, that means a lot.
thrillcat and carfanm like this.
post #708 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
Considering how arbitrary and often people have been banned from the lounge, there's probably very little significance either way.
Bluescale likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #709 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
While I wasn't banned, I was told to leave and not come back by quite a few people on the Lounge after I made a critical comment about the XMC. Even Emotiva owners like myself are not allowed to make any type of comment unless you are raving about an item. No honest comments allowed.
xcapri79 likes this.
post #710 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
One more forum I can avoid wasting time in whilst awaiting an XMC-1 and hooking up XPR-1's to all my Mirage Nanosats since more power is always better...
xcapri79 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #711 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
^
I did not interpret "TM" as an emoticon.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #712 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
One more forum I can avoid wasting time in whilst awaiting an XMC-1 and hooking up XPR-1's to all my Mirage Nanosats since more power is always better...
I have been thinking about picking these up to try.

Ever wonder how they would sound in an Atmos setup?
post #713 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Red face

Quote:
^
It does when you read them in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
I have been thinking about picking these up to try.

Ever wonder how they would sound in an Atmos setup?
I use nanostats for one of my computer systems. They work well for that.

Last edited by xcapri79; 06-25-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #714 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
I have two OMD-5's and six little sat's unhooked in a pile in the basement. They are not the littlest Mirage satellites but one step up (Omnisat instead of Nanosat, I think). Also the matching sub. I lived with them for a year or so before finally remembering why I never liked the tiny little monitor plus sub arrangement. Somehow they never quite matched the sound of my previous big Magnepan (with dual servo subs) or IRS 2 (no sub, -3 dB in room at 16 Hz) systems...

XPR-1's on Nanosats should be good for a nice Roman candle display at some point in any given action movie...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #715 of 1211 Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Technical question regarding the XMC-1.

I see that there are XLR and RCA outputs. I assume this mean the pre/pro is completely balanced design? How does the balanced circuit design differ from the normal AVR that's got just RCA outputs? Is the balanced approach better?

There are two sub outputs, does it mean it can independently setup each sub (i.e. level and distance) then combine them together for a combined level and distance? Is the crossover just one frequency for all channels are independently set for each channel? What is the maximum V rms for the sub RCA and XLR outputs?

The back of the panel also has USB (also on the front panel) port and Ethernet port. Can the pre/pro be connected to the PC via USB and act as DAC? With the Ethernet port, will it be able to stream tunes from phone/tablet/NAS? Does it support DLNA 1.5, Spotify connect, gapless playback? Is there a web interface to control the pre/pro or app on iTunes/Play store? Does it do AirPlay?

There is a headphone output at the front. Not sure if it's 1/4"or 1/8" connection. What's the output impedance, power rating at nominal impedance rating? Will it be good enough to drive an Audeze LCD3 or Hifiman LE6 headphone?

I ask because the above are important features for me.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #716 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

I use nanostats for one of my computer systems. They work well for that.
After I posted that I looked them up again and you are correct.
they would be good computer speakers.
I had the bigger Omni's in mind (the slim towers)
post #717 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
"There is a headphone output at the front. Not sure if it's 1/4"or 1/8" connection. What's the output impedance, power rating at nominal impedance rating? Will it be good enough to drive an Audeze LCD3 or Hifiman LE6 headphone?"

I have the LCD2s and no normal audio headphone outputs can drive them above a very soft level. I thought I should be able to use them with my old Pioneer Elite 49TX as it was a premium high $ receiver 10-12 years ago. No go. Barely worked at all. Tried them with all my other equipment with headphone outputs and again no luck.

It takes an amp with real power to drive the Audeze headphones - about 2-5 watts not the 100-150 milliwatts that most electronics offer. I am using a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp. Even that using the 1/4" jack doesn't do justice. Using the balanced output connections doubles the voltage to the headphones and makes all the difference in the world. The Audeze headphones - at least the 2s and 3s - require voltage and wattage to perform. Most receivers and pre-pros do not specify the power available out of the headphone jack. A few that I have seen claim like 200 mwatts max which is not enough. Sorry!
post #718 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
"There is a headphone output at the front. Not sure if it's 1/4"or 1/8" connection. What's the output impedance, power rating at nominal impedance rating? Will it be good enough to drive an Audeze LCD3 or Hifiman LE6 headphone?"

I have the LCD2s and no normal audio headphone outputs can drive them above a very soft level. I thought I should be able to use them with my old Pioneer Elite 49TX as it was a premium high $ receiver 10-12 years ago. No go. Barely worked at all. Tried them with all my other equipment with headphone outputs and again no luck.

It takes an amp with real power to drive the Audeze headphones - about 2-5 watts not the 100-150 milliwatts that most electronics offer. I am using a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp. Even that using the 1/4" jack doesn't do justice. Using the balanced output connections doubles the voltage to the headphones and makes all the difference in the world. The Audeze headphones - at least the 2s and 3s - require voltage and wattage to perform. Most receivers and pre-pros do not specify the power available out of the headphone jack. A few that I have seen claim like 200 mwatts max which is not enough. Sorry!
I'm into cans and that said a dedicated headphone amp is always the way to go.
post #719 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 74
bootman, did you get your XMC-1 yet from the promised bulk June shipment? Can you maybe write up a review when you get a minute? I'd love to hear about how it sounds like a veil has been liften off your speakers and it's so good you can actually see the music playing. Thanks
post #720 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
bootman, did you get your XMC-1 yet from the promised bulk June shipment? Can you maybe write up a review when you get a minute? I'd love to hear about how it sounds like a veil has been liften off your speakers and it's so good you can actually see the music playing. Thanks
June isn't over yet and Bootman may be further down the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page