Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #781 of 799 Old 06-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Regarding the 651r firmware. I am on 1.46 mcu. Does anyone know the benefits or fixes of upgrading to 1.51 or 1.52?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 799 Old 08-11-2018, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy10178 View Post
Regarding the 651r firmware. I am on 1.46 mcu. Does anyone know the benefits or fixes of upgrading to 1.51 or 1.52?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
If its working good for you, then stick with it if you want....

I myself finally updated to the 1.52 (from 1.51) on my 751R. Didnt notice any changes to be honest. CA is bad on the changelogs.
But an update from 1.46 may solve some issues that some had with hdmi, and some minor sound issues.

if anyone have some info on whats changed/fixed/improved in the 1.51 or the 1.52 fw....please share
post #783 of 799 Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFouad View Post
I own a CA751 and while the sound quality is great I am still encountering very annoying problems with sound dropping/cutting several times while watching TV/youtube videos + 1-2 seconds delay of sound whenever I play a new file (audio or video). Some youtube videos are just unwatchable with this receiver, you just cant hear anything, it cuts every two seconds.

Do you know if a new firmware solved thiese problems ? or if the new v2 of 751 solved these sound dropping/cutting/delayed issues ?

I would be grateful for your help. thank you.
Hello. Old post but I believe I may be able to help you or anyone else who may be experiencing persistent HDMI issues, at least when a PC is connected as a source for audio/video files. Want to share my experience and give a little back to this awesome forum.

My setup is DishNetwork into HDMI 1, and a Win 7 64 PC with NVDA graphics card (GT 460) into HDMI 2 (using Kodi/Foobar > USB/VLC Media Player interchangeably for movies and music).

HDMI goes out to a 55" HDMI TV (old Vizio XVT553sv, if it matters).

Here were my problems, followed by a solution that so far works to perfection (knock on wood):

Playing PC movie and then switch to music (perhaps staying within Kodi for each), intermittently the video would remain but sound would drop, and less often the screen would go black with audio remaning, never both out, OR when switching from PC to Dish Network, would most often lose sound.

I would toggle HDMI sources to see if it would fix (re-establish a HDMI handshake?) but often no audio would play at all, not out of USB, no AM/FM Radio, nothing. All audio would be out and the only thing to do would be to restart receiver, and all would be well again.

Additionally, on two occasions I heard a “click” from the receiver when switching sources, and I am pretty much certain it was always when changing FROM the PC to the TV, but not 100% certain.

Solution: I eventually sleuthed and learned that it might be related to a EDID issue from the TV, its failure to communicate back to the PC, possibly sending a mixed message of sorts to/through the 751R V2 (beyond my comprehension), and I stumbled upon MonInfo, a freeware program that emulates and creates a new INF file (video driver file) to replace the generic one in Windows 7 (Device Manager, Display, Properties, driver update, etc.).

Don’t laugh! Once I had the PC/751/Dish working fine I saved the INF file and loaded it as a new driver and it worked! You can always roll the driver back to the prior driver if it failed, but I have been trying to recreate the problem and it is rock solid, switching around to my heart’s content, no issues.

Some way, somehow the HDMI EDID/HDCP handshake from PC to TV must be corrupting/confusing the 751R, maybe causing it to go into a protection mode, causing the drops, but now works to perfection.

I don't think it's luck, because it is clearly working.

Maybe this will help keep another from pulling their hair out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 799 Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyclev View Post
Hello. Old post but I believe I may be able to help you or anyone else who may be experiencing persistent HDMI issues, at least when a PC is connected as a source for audio/video files. Want to share my experience and give a little back to this awesome forum.

My setup is DishNetwork into HDMI 1, and a Win 7 64 PC with NVDA graphics card (GT 460) into HDMI 2 (using Kodi/Foobar > USB/VLC Media Player interchangeably for movies and music).

HDMI goes out to a 55" HDMI TV (old Vizio XVT553sv, if it matters).

Here were my problems, followed by a solution that so far works to perfection (knock on wood):

Playing PC movie and then switch to music (perhaps staying within Kodi for each), intermittently the video would remain but sound would drop, and less often the screen would go black with audio remaning, never both out, OR when switching from PC to Dish Network, would most often lose sound.

I would toggle HDMI sources to see if it would fix (re-establish a HDMI handshake?) but often no audio would play at all, not out of USB, no AM/FM Radio, nothing. All audio would be out and the only thing to do would be to restart receiver, and all would be well again.

Additionally, on two occasions I heard a “click” from the receiver when switching sources, and I am pretty much certain it was always when changing FROM the PC to the TV, but not 100% certain.

Solution: I eventually sleuthed and learned that it might be related to a EDID issue from the TV, its failure to communicate back to the PC, possibly sending a mixed message of sorts to/through the 751R V2 (beyond my comprehension), and I stumbled upon MonInfo, a freeware program that emulates and creates a new INF file (video driver file) to replace the generic one in Windows 7 (Device Manager, Display, Properties, driver update, etc.).

Don’t laugh! Once I had the PC/751/Dish working fine I saved the INF file and loaded it as a new driver and it worked! You can always roll the driver back to the prior driver if it failed, but I have been trying to recreate the problem and it is rock solid, switching around to my heart’s content, no issues.

Some way, somehow the HDMI EDID/HDCP handshake from PC to TV must be corrupting/confusing the 751R, maybe causing it to go into a protection mode, causing the drops, but now works to perfection.

I don't think it's luck, because it is clearly working.

Maybe this will help keep another from pulling their hair out.
Edit: The dropouts disappeared for almost a solid week after using MonInfo and creating a driver file but returned, same problem as before, which starts when I change media types on the PC. Back to the drawing board. Will post if I find a solution.
post #785 of 799 Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. First time poster to this thread. I’m in the market for a new receiver to use mostly for processor duty. I have a Parasound Halo p5 pre feeding a PS Audio 200cx for stereo duty that has H/T bypass so it integrates well into my H/T. My Onkyo TX NR5008 is in the shop after I accidentally let the speaker wires touch and blew something inside. They aren’t having much luck fixing it which is sad because that thing is a H/T beast! I have a second PS Audio 200c that use for powering my center channel in my 5.1 configuration. So I really only need to power 2 surround speakers with my receiver.
I have had numerous receiver and pre/pros over time. Denon 3805, Arcam AVR 300, Arcam AV9 (best I have ever heard to date), and now the Onkyo Tx Nr5008. I thought about going with another dedicated processor but then I would have to buy another amp to power my surrounds and sadly my rack is getting a tad full, but I could make it work if it’s worth it.
I need HDMI video switching for sure as well as Dolby HD and DTS decoding ability so the legacy processors such as another AV9 are out of the running sadly. I am looking at a CA 551r or a 651R. I don’t need USB input and I really don’t need big power cause my monster PS Audio 200c 200CX and pushing 200wpc at 8ohm and double down at 4ohm. I don’t think I need huge power for my surrounds so I figured a 551r would be enough for the task.
This is my question. Does the 651r have any better processing capabilities that I would be missing if I went with the 551r? My Onkyo does have Audyssey xt32 processing which I find for movies does add an extra level of improvements sonically. I have never heard the CA stuff but from what I have heard the sonic qualities are superb so I might not miss room correction. Mind you the Onkyo is no slouch.
Is there any reason why I should spring the extra cash for the 651 if I’m only powering 2 surround channels?
post #786 of 799 Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM

Also, could someone explain to me what the V1 means at the end of the 551r V1. Is there a V2? If so what is changed?
post #787 of 799 Old 05-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Is there really nobody on this thread anymore?
post #788 of 799 Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman_1975 View Post
Is there really nobody on this thread anymore?
This is the 651r/751r thread which although excellent products are now getting a bit dated. Wrt to the 551r v1/v2 I suggest you look at the published CA tech specs found here https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...zur-551R-V1-V2

Differences, found by comparing the specs, seem to be similar to that with the 751r v1 vs V2 being more HDMI ports, HDMI uplift to 1.4a and 4K passthrough. The power amps appear to be the same.
post #789 of 799 Old 05-11-2019, 07:45 PM

I picked up a 651r and am completely floored at how good it is for both music and H/T. I have had some very very good separate systems and am finding that the 651r pre out to a high end two channel amp is a great DAC and preamp in one.
post #790 of 799 Old 05-11-2019, 08:09 PM

And this dynamic eq is unreal. What it does for music is unreal. I’m so happy I pulled the trigger on this thing.
post #791 of 799 Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Hi. Does anyone think i can use this software on the 551r v1 ? Damn thing is not coming out of standby. Or, has anyone had success finding and installing any firmware for it?
T
post #792 of 799 Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First--I know this receiver is old, and it's unlikely anyone is here to discuss this...
I just got a "refurbished" 651R from seller "cambridgeaudiousa" on Ebay. Have had a few issues, but the main one is that I can't seem to get any analog video through this receiver. I have tried all the composite and component connections (I lack an S-video device to test), and I get nothing. Well, nothing might not be correct; when I am on one of these connections, and cycle through the resolutions, the black screen does change its blackness as it changes. If you know what I mean. But since this device is rather quirky, is there some setting that maybe I missed to get this working? The analog audio works fine for these connections. I think it's definitely just broken, because I can't get the composite to work via video3 (the front connections), which does not have a corresponding digital (HDMI) video connection that it could be confused with. I have done a factory reset twice already. Thanks.
post #793 of 799 Old 09-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have a 751R V1 that a few days ago developed an odd issue and I hope someone can help me find a fix. Now when I watch a TV series bluray like Supernatural or Game of Thrones, the surround mode switches back to DTS 5.1 after every episode even if I've switched it to DTS 5.1 + Remix or DTS 5.1 + Movie (to get the rear speakers working). Before, if I watched multiple episodes the surround settings stayed on all seven speakers working. Now I have to change it back at the beginning of every episode and switching the 751R from 5.1 to 7.1 is quite tricky (click the surrund mode button once to activate the switch and then with perfect timing click just right to cycle through to the Remix option. Very irritating, especiaslly when the episode has already started and you can't switch modes when the episode is paused). Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!
post #794 of 799 Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooBass View Post
I have a 751R V1 that a few days ago developed an odd issue and I hope someone can help me find a fix. Now when I watch a TV series bluray like Supernatural or Game of Thrones, the surround mode switches back to DTS 5.1 after every episode even if I've switched it to DTS 5.1 + Remix or DTS 5.1 + Movie (to get the rear speakers working). Before, if I watched multiple episodes the surround settings stayed on all seven speakers working. Now I have to change it back at the beginning of every episode and switching the 751R from 5.1 to 7.1 is quite tricky (click the surrund mode button once to activate the switch and then with perfect timing click just right to cycle through to the Remix option. Very irritating, especiaslly when the episode has already started and you can't switch modes when the episode is paused). Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!
what is the source device and have any of the associated connection properties changed? Have you tried connecting the bluray player with the analogue preamp in and use the bluray player speaker config.
post #795 of 799 Old 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
what is the source device and have any of the associated connection properties changed? Have you tried connecting the bluray player with the analogue preamp in and use the bluray player speaker config.
The source is a Sony X800 4K disc player. And, yes, this began after I moved my components and rewired my speakers. Since the 751R doesn't pass 4K, I connect the video out of the x800 to the input on a Sony 900E 4k television, and use the hdmi audio out from the x800 disc player into the #1 hdmi input on the 751R. Does that help? Thanks!

SPEAKERS: 7.1 Def Tech Mythos ST L/R | Mythos 10 C | Mythos Gem XL S/R
SUB: SVS PB4000

RECEIVER: Cambridge Audio 751R
DISPLAY: Sony 75" XBR900E SOURCES: Sony UBP-X800 4K disc player, PS3, PS4
MISC: Harmony Elite remote
post #796 of 799 Old 09-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooBass View Post
The source is a Sony X800 4K disc player. And, yes, this began after I moved my components and rewired my speakers. Since the 751R doesn't pass 4K, I connect the video out of the x800 to the input on a Sony 900E 4k television, and use the hdmi audio out from the x800 disc player into the #1 hdmi input on the 751R. Does that help? Thanks!
Assuming nothing changed with the settings on the 751r then look at either the hdmi cable quality or the payer settings. Have you updated the x800 firmware?

Otherwise document the 751r settings and do a factory reset - press and hold the bd/dvd and the analogue stereo direct buttons on teh front panel for 3 seconds.
post #797 of 799 Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 PM

Hi, TripleFun,

Thanks for your suggestions. It's back to working perfectly again. The firmware was upgraded already. I did two things:

1. I changed the DTS Remap setting from 5 to 1. Not sure how that could have made the difference seeing as it worked fine before on 5.

2. I noticed the hdmi cable connecting hdmi A out to the television's hdmi 3 (arc) input (that I use for OSD) was a little loose on the 751r side. I pushed it all the way in and when I tried Supernatural again it worked fine. And it worked fine on the 4k disc of Ready Player One.

it's good to see there are a few people still following this thread.
post #798 of 799 Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Get laptop to play through 751R V1

Hi,
I purchased a UMIK-1 mic to connect to my laptop and run REW. I now have to run the laptop (the audio, at least) through the 751R V1 in order to to play the audio sweeps properly. I can get the laptop to play video/audio if I connect to the Sony 900E tv but if I try to connect to the CA recever I just get a black screen and under Display settings on the laptop (a YOGA 920) the second screen/television isn't recognized. If you have any suggestions they would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks, Randy

SPEAKERS: 7.1 Def Tech Mythos ST L/R | Mythos 10 C | Mythos Gem XL S/R
SUB: SVS PB4000

RECEIVER: Cambridge Audio 751R
DISPLAY: Sony 75" XBR900E SOURCES: Sony UBP-X800 4K disc player, PS3, PS4
MISC: Harmony Elite remote
post #799 of 799 Old 05-23-2020, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cambridge Audio azur 751 issue

Hi all,

I'm trying to help my aunt out with her faulty receiver. Apparently the amp turns itself off every now and then and she has to switch it back on after a few mins. The frequency of this seems to be about once a day. A local repairman I contacted claims that this is a common issue with the amp due to the transformer failing especially when the unit is left on standby for extended periods of time.

My first guess was bloated caps but if it is indeed the transformer there doesn't seem to be anyone in my area who can repair it since it's apparently a custom one.

Unfortunately I have no experience with CA and their products so I can't try to guess what the problem is.

Any one has any idea if the transformer is most likely the cause and if its worth trying to repair? Or should she just get a new receiver?

Appreciate any input on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black , Cambridge Audio Ltd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page