Yamaha RX-A820 Rear Surround Speaker issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

We're upgrading from Yamaha RX V663 to the Yamaha Aventage RX-A820.

When we run the sound test, the rear surround speakers aren't found on the A820. It isn't the speakers or the wiring - when we plug the rear speakers into Front they're found fine - we also plugged the "fronts" into the Surround and still lost them as the rear speaker. We've tried both Surround and Surround Amp but can't get sound out of the rear speakers

Can anyone think of a simple setting we maybe overlooking? We haven't hooked up anything except the TV so far before doing the sound test. This is an open box item (receiver) so there may be an issue with the receiver itself, which is where my husband is leaning towards- but I'd like to see if we overlooked something basic.

Thanks for any thoughts - we're slugging our way thru the online manual but nothing seems to shed light on this ~ we are updating firmware but it doesn't seem like that would be the cause of this...

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Check the owners manual on how to do a factory reset. Since it is an open box it may have been set up initially without rear surrounds and the amp that powers those speakers may have been set to drive presence speakers or a zone 2 set of speakers

Home Theater Forum - fun place and nice people
http://www.hometheaterlounge.com/forum.php
post #3 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you,

As you suggested, we found out how to do the reset back to factory defaults - still nothing going to the back/side speakers. We've gone thru auto and manual set-up situations, tried large and small speaker setting, did factory reset multiple times but the sound test never finds the speakers other than Front, Center, and Subwoofer. We hooked up our V663 - sound test found all speakers, no problem

This is the first time we've actually had trouble with an open box item, so hard to complain - now to see how testy Best Buy is about taking it back since it had no box, no remote, and was bought in FL not NC where we live rolleyes.gif (It was 50% off) We should have insisted on BB in FL doing a setup and trial run but we didn't since we've never had any trouble with any open items from them before.

Nearest Yahama repair center is about 90 miles away from us, and it's a rent a center - which doesn't inspire alot of confidence. So back it goes.

FWIW - the Yamaha app at Google Playstore worked flawlessly on our Samsung GS3 and my Asus Infinity tablet~

Appreciate the help! We'll have to call this one failed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Best Buy is actually being pretty cool about this; it's being sent to a service center in Atlanta; if they can't fix it, they'll request a replacement from Yamaha, and if that fails we get a refund - even if we are outside the return period (yes - in writing by service manager)

Cross fingers - and hope this is the only issue to be found~
post #5 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have the same receiver and just noticed your question. the solution is VERY easy and is found in the on-screen settings withing the speaker/amp settings. You can set the amp to function in a few different ways, and the preset is in such a way that the rears are turned off. Simply change to a different setting that turns on the rears. smile.gif

Sam
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
G42

@Sam - would you mind being a little more specific? No matter what I do in the settings my rear speakers are "Not available". And there's nothing wrong with the speakers or the wiring.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Liked: 0
Hello did you find a solution to this issue? I just got a Yamaha RX-A820 and the system wont detect the rear or surround speakers.... only centre and front speakers have sound... please help
post #8 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 PM

Yamaha RX-A820 (Does not detect Surround/Back Speakers)

Hello

Please help.

I just got a Yamaha RX-A820 after connecting all my 5.1 speakers, the system only detects the center and R\L front speakers. The system does not detect the the surround/back speakers even with the mode all 7Ch stereo.

I have just upgraded from Yamaha RX-V663 and has the same speakers connected and all worked fine but not with the RX-A820.

If anyone has a solution please share.

Thank you

AK
post #9 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffemusic View Post
i have the same receiver and just noticed your question. the solution is VERY easy and is found in the on-screen settings withing the speaker/amp settings. You can set the amp to function in a few different ways, and the preset is in such a way that the rears are turned off. Simply change to a different setting that turns on the rears.

Sam
Hello Sam

Please help.

I just got a Yamaha RX-A820 after connecting all my 5.1 speakers, the system only detects the center and R\L front speakers. The system does not detect the the surround/back speakers even with the mode all 7Ch stereo.

I have just upgraded from Yamaha RX-V663 and has the same speakers connected and all worked fine but not with the RX-A820.

Thank you

AK
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 12:07 AM

I think this might be the solution.

Intelligent Amp Assign
Intelligent Amp Assign automatically assigns amplifier channels to certain speakers, depending on what functions are selected. For example, in a 7.1-channel system, when Zone 2 is off, all 7.1 channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two Surround Back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2, and the Main Zone will receive 5.1 channels of power. Similarly, when CINEMA DSP 3D is on, the two Front Presence speakers will be powered and not the two Surround Back speakers. When CINEMA DSP 3D is off, this situation is reversed. Thanks to Intelligent Amp Assign, there's no need to switch the speaker cables on the rear of the receiver-one more way Yamaha makes your life a little easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2616626  
post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Have you double checked connections?
Did you run the auto setup?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22566 Post(s)
Liked: 12281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykenneth View Post
Hello

Please help.

Thank you

AK
Regardless of the fact that you may have your "side surround" speakers (ie. 5.1 setup) placed behind you, the speakers must still be connected to the "SURROUND" speaker posts, not the "SURROUND BACK" speaker posts (which are only used with a 7.1 setup).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
rxa820 , surround/back speakers issue , Yamaha Rx A820 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver , yamaha rx-a820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page