I have a Denon AVR-3806 receiver. Last night (and it's happened intermittently for that past year or so) my receiver will stop playing the sound of my HDMI source, usually when I'm watching netflix on my laptop that's plugged into the denon. Simply, the sound will cut off, but the receiver will continue to produce the video on the screen. I restart the receiver (or unplug and replug the HDMI cable to my laptop) and then it fails to detect the input, and my laptop fails to detect anything connected. Here's where it gets weird: When the receiver is OFF (standby or completely off), my laptop detects the denon receiver and switches displays. When the receiver is ON, my laptop does not detect the receiver, and the receiver doesn't detect any input. This is the same situation for my Xbox that uses the other HDMI input. If I opt out of using the HDMI input and instead use component output to my TV, I can get video and sound. However, it must be turned on, on the correct input, in order to work properly. If I turn on the receiver and then switch inputs to access my Wii (which uses the component input/output), the receiver will not detect any video/sound. But if I then turn off the receiver on the Wii's input and turn it back on, it will produce both sound and video. If I go to settings and change anything, or play with the inputs, it will once again stop producing the video/audio.
Somehow, after hours of plugging/unplugging and testing, my HDMI started working last night. No clear reason why. I don't know if it's something I did, but it just started working. I enjoyed several more hours of video/audio until I went to bed. When I went to watch something after work today, I was met with the exact same issue as the night before. I can't reproduce what I did to initially make it work last night. Any advice on the issue would be much appreciated.
Here's a couple bullet points of actions and observations:
- Did a hard reset on the receiver to restore factory settings, no change to the current issues.
- If any setting or input is changed, the receiver will become unresponsive in certain controls (can't change volume, tuner presets, etc)
- After a hard reset, the tuner can pick up and produce static sound. When I switch a setting or input, then go back to tuner, it will no longer produce that static sound.
- When the receiver is on, the xbox doesn't detect any hdmi connection. When i turn off the receiver, the xbox detects an output. Same thing with my laptop.
- When the laptop and xbox are turned on, when I go to HDMI input assign, the receiver doesn't detect any inputs from either source.
- I've tried piece rebuilding the unit by adding one connection at a time and always restarting, yielded no results.
- I only receive sound out of my Wii when it's set to Direct or Stereo. If I change the audio output to anything else (5.1 stereo, for example), sound will stop being produced. Upon switching back to the original input, there will still not be any sound. I restart the receiver and the sound is back.
- If I plug my laptop or xbox directly into my TV via HDMI, everything works fine.