Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5006Likes

post #3301 of 3411 Old 04-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
This quirk has been happening for a while but having just re-pulled the hdmi cable through walls and basement joists I thought maybe I would try tackling this.

I have a Yamaha RX-V775 receiver. I have a Samsung Smart TV and a Roamio Tivo. The hdmi cable I'm using is directional with an output side and a tv side. (but this quirk also occurred with the prior non-directional hdmi cable) When I wake the system up with my Tivo remote (TV power on), the tv comes alive and it shows hdmi2 on the screen briefly and then the Tivo output is on the TV. The picture and audio are fine. But after a bit less than a minute the sound is gone while the picture is fine. If I then grab the Yamaha remote and Press HDMI-1, the sound returns and plays fine thereafter. Until I power it down - next time same, all is initially fine, then the sound cuts out until I use the Yamaha remote.

The hdmi cable is connected to HDMI-1 on the yamaha which is "ARC" and is connected to HDMI-2 (arc) on the Samsung TV.

What's also interesting (maybe) is that if I power the TV on with its remote, the same thing happens - Tivo output is fine intially (sound and picture) and then the sound cuts out again. BUT if I use the Smart TV button and bring up Netflix, the sound comes back without any need for the Yamaha remote to change the hdmi connection.

If I recall, even futzing with different hmdi connections on the receiver and tv did not help but it's been a long time since I did that futzing. (let me tell you pulling and unpulling cable through plaster/lath walls and 100 year old dusty, moldy basement joists was not fun).

Any ideas. I have to admit that using the Yamaha remote is not that much of a task but it confuses the other user in this household as an unnecessary step.

Thanks in advance
I've had this issue, but only occasionally with my receiver since I bought it almost 4 years ago now. In my case, for some reason it goes from hdmi1 (directv) to tv (ARC) mimicking the same issue you have. Works for a bit, then switches over to tv (picture displays but i lose sound). I thought it was maybe a faulty cable and replaced it about a year ago with a new monoprice arc cable. Thought maybe that did the trick as it didn't reoccur for quite some time, but it still happens intermittently as of a few months ago. Not enough for me to be angered by, but annoying. In my case it's always when i do a system power on using the directv remote which turns the whole system on.

I know this doesn't help, but just thought you should know you're not alone

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3411 Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post
I've had this issue, but only occasionally with my receiver since I bought it almost 4 years ago now. In my case, for some reason it goes from hdmi1 (directv) to tv (ARC) mimicking the same issue you have. Works for a bit, then switches over to tv (picture displays but i lose sound). I thought it was maybe a faulty cable and replaced it about a year ago with a new monoprice arc cable. Thought maybe that did the trick as it didn't reoccur for quite some time, but it still happens intermittently as of a few months ago. Not enough for me to be angered by, but annoying. In my case it's always when i do a system power on using the directv remote which turns the whole system on.

I know this doesn't help, but just thought you should know you're not alone
Thanks for the reply. I have not gotten around to a lot more experimentation yet. But yesterday, I used the TV remote to turn the system on (I generally use the Tivo remote). All normal and then the sound cut out again. This time I played with the SOURCE button, moving between various hmdi connections, the tv and wifi-connected stuff (computer disk). Sound stayed off for a bit but then returned as I continued switching between sources. I will narrow it down if I can.

But since the TIVO is my primary Input (to watch recorded or live tv), using the TV's remote really don't help. Since it does not control the Tivo I still need to move back to the Tivo remote.

I am also using a Monoprice Hdmi cable. As I wrote, it is DIRECTIONAL with an output side and a TV side. But the prior cable which was not directional (hook it up either way) did the same thing soundwise (but it failed completely).

I'm sure one day this stuff will be more full-proof. But, I guess, until then it requires Remote-juggling. I did have a universal remote but even playing with timing, it did not solve the problem so I abandoned it.

Again, thanks - miserly does like company!
post #3303 of 3411 Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have not gotten around to a lot more experimentation yet. But yesterday, I used the TV remote to turn the system on (I generally use the Tivo remote). All normal and then the sound cut out again. This time I played with the SOURCE button, moving between various hmdi connections, the tv and wifi-connected stuff (computer disk). Sound stayed off for a bit but then returned as I continued switching between sources. I will narrow it down if I can.

But since the TIVO is my primary Input (to watch recorded or live tv), using the TV's remote really don't help. Since it does not control the Tivo I still need to move back to the Tivo remote.

I am also using a Monoprice Hdmi cable. As I wrote, it is DIRECTIONAL with an output side and a TV side. But the prior cable which was not directional (hook it up either way) did the same thing soundwise (but it failed completely).

I'm sure one day this stuff will be more full-proof. But, I guess, until then it requires Remote-juggling. I did have a universal remote but even playing with timing, it did not solve the problem so I abandoned it.

Again, thanks - miserly does like company!
I too tried both directional and latest non-directional with arc support. Neither seemed to matter but the later has been "better". lol.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 3411 Old 04-03-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread

I wasn’t aware of anything in an HDMI cable that’s “directional.” Wires are wires. Anything claiming that the 1’s and 0’s travel better in one direction is snake oil IMHO.

It really sounds like HDMI-CEC handshaking from my skim of the last few posts. My Samsung TV has a habit of switching the AVR audio to “TV” a full 30 seconds or more from everything turning on. Very annoying, but something I put up with. I often just turn on my setup with a SCENE programmed to switch to a Chromecast (which has a changing gallery of beautiful imagery and art) early in the day and leave it on. This prevents the TV from claiming that “it’s all me” when I turn on some music or something.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3305 of 3411 Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do I stream Amazon Music on Zone 2 via Yamaha RX-V675?

Quote:
Originally Posted by udub View Post
Greetings All,

I want to stream Amazon Music (via iPhone app) on my Zone 2 connected patio speakers powered by a Yamaha RX-V675. The Yamaha AV Controller app offers Zone 2 streaming options of Pandora, Net Radio, Spotify, Airplay, Sirius, Rhapsody, but not Amazon Music. Zone 1 can stream Amazon Music via a Bluetooth adapter, but not Zone 2 - that I know of. What are my options?
As JP0117 mentioned, get a Bluetooth to analog adapter, [edit]. Oh that’s right Zone 2 only plays the analog inputs, so you’d need a DAC device. Monoprice sells them.

I’ve asked a mod to merge your post with the official *75 series thread, you’ll find other tips and answers there.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3306 of 3411 Old 04-03-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5400 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I wasn’t aware of anything in an HDMI cable that’s “directional.” .
Normal HDMI cables are not directional but there are some varieties such as Monoprice's RedMere series (I think they call them) which have a self powered booster amp in one end [good for longer runs] and those do have a specific direction.
post #3307 of 3411 Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t aware of anything in an HDMI cable that’s “directional.” Wires are wires. Anything claiming that the 1’s and 0’s travel better in one direction is snake oil IMHO.

It really sounds like HDMI-CEC handshaking from my skim of the last few posts. My Samsung TV has a habit of switching the AVR audio to “TV” a full 30 seconds or more from everything turning on. Very annoying, but something I put up with. I often just turn on my setup with a SCENE programmed to switch to a Chromecast (which has a changing gallery of beautiful imagery and art) early in the day and leave it on. This prevents the TV from claiming that “it’s all me” when I turn on some music or something.
I don't know enough about hdmi to dispute your claim. I know when cables first came out they weren't directional and I know the latest gen are not either. But a few years ago they did sell "arc rated" cables with a tv side and an input side. My old one was just 6'. For what it's worth, I have the same issue with the newer non-directional cable too.

edit.
quick google shows they still do
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoC6hwQAvD_BwE

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #3308 of 3411 Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
As JP0117 mentioned, get a Bluetooth to analog adapter, [edit]. Oh that’s right Zone 2 only plays the analog inputs, so you’d need a DAC device. Monoprice sells them.

I’ve asked a mod to merge your post with the official *75 series thread, you’ll find other tips and answers there.
Thanks for the advice guys. Easier fix than I expected. I hooked up the Esinkin BT adapter (from Amazon) to the Audio 1 analog channel and it works like a champ. I'm able to control it via the Yamaha app 25' away (through exterior wall), on my patio deck, which was the intent.

Thanks again!
post #3309 of 3411 Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yamaha v675 and Firestick

Curious if anyone has encountered this. My Samsung can't call out to the internet so my apps (Netflix etc) don't work. I tried to connect the Fire stick to watch Netflix but when I switch source it does not see the Firestick plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the Yamaha receiver. I am able to do this in the bedroom with my Samsung tv and Pioneer receiver. Is this a known issue with the Yamaha v675? Does the Samsung tv connection being broke also effect the Fire stick?

Any help appreciated
John
post #3310 of 3411 Old 06-15-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha v675 and Firestick

Have you tried another HDMI port?

Last edited by ChromeJob; 06-15-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: confusion
post #3311 of 3411 Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Have you tried another HDMI port?
Yes several including the one I use for the Wii
post #3312 of 3411 Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmac328 View Post
Yes several including the one I use for the Wii
Turns out the TV needed a software update. The apps do work and I can confirm that the v675 does not support Amazon Fire Stick. Old cheap Pioneer receiver does, go figure.
post #3313 of 3411 Old 06-17-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is my Yamaha Receiver capable of 4K?

Purchased a new 50” 4K TV. Using a Yamaha rx-v375 receiver. The instructional manual online says it is capable. However, there is a vast visual difference between hooking up my Xbox 1 (Not 4K, sadly) directly to my TV vs going through my receiver.

Also, when I change the input to Apple 4K TV it displays 3840 x 2160p.

If I change it to the Yamaha input it displays 720x480p.

Any suggestions? Not well versed in A/V. Is my older Yamaha truly 4K capable maybe via firmware update? Here’s a link to what I believe is my unit.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...375/specs.html

Thanks!
post #3314 of 3411 Old 06-18-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
It appears to not support HDCP 2.2, which is required for most 4k sources.

Its 4k support is only up to 30 fps, so I presume that it is an HDMI 1.4 device, rather than the HDMI 2.0 used on current 4k TVs.

I don't think that most 2013 models have received firmware updates to do current 4k.

Sorry.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3315 of 3411 Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmac328 View Post
Turns out the TV needed a software update. The apps do work and I can confirm that the v675 does not support Amazon Fire Stick. Old cheap Pioneer receiver does, go figure.
The TV and Fire Stick problems aren’t related. What video mode is the Fire Stick operating at? Check the supported video modes table in your manual, the 75 series doesn’t support all 4K frame rates.

post #3316 of 3411 Old 06-19-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElmore85 View Post
Purchased a new 50” 4K TV. Using a Yamaha rx-v375 receiver. The instructional manual online says it is capable. However, there is a vast visual difference between hooking up my Xbox 1 (Not 4K, sadly) directly to my TV vs going through my receiver.

Also, when I change the input to Apple 4K TV it displays 3840 x 2160p.

If I change it to the Yamaha input it displays 720x480p.

Any suggestions? Not well versed in A/V. Is my older Yamaha truly 4K capable maybe via firmware update? Here’s a link to what I believe is my unit.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...375/specs.html

Thanks!
you really need to be SURE what your model is. That being said, the 75 series does not support 4k.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #3317 of 3411 Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post
you really need to be SURE what your model is. That being said, the 75 series does not support 4k.
My 775, and some other models potentially, support an earlier intermediate 4K standard at lower frame rates, as Bobknav explained.

Again, refer to your model’s owner manual’s “supported video modes” chart for details.

post #3318 of 3411 Old 06-19-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got a RX-V675. Inputs/HDMI ports:

HDMI 1 - Satellite TV
HDMI 2 - DVD/Blu Ray
HDMI 3 - Amazon Fire Stick

I then route the unit's "out" to the HDMI 1 "in" on my TV.

I also use audio bypass so that I can pipe the sound to the TV rather than my home theater (I do use the home theater, but sometimes just want to use the TV sound). It was all working fine (audio bypass was good with the unit off/standby for each input and each input would play through the home theater with the V675 "on") since I added the Fire Stick, until last night when I switched over to the Fire Stick with the unit "off/standby" (so bypass in place), and got a picture from the Fire Stick, but NO sound. Also got a message about "Incompatible audio signal found. Check output device", and like I said, no sound from the TV speakers. Works ok with the DVD and Sat TV either "on" or "off/standby". Fire Stick does pipe audio to the home theater with the unit "on".

What am I doing wrong or need to check for the Fire Stick to "pipe" to the TV audio with the unit in "off/standby"?

TIA
post #3319 of 3411 Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrprice1 View Post
Got a RX-V675. Inputs/HDMI ports:

HDMI 1 - Satellite TV
HDMI 2 - DVD/Blu Ray
HDMI 3 - Amazon Fire Stick

I then route the unit's "out" to the HDMI 1 "in" on my TV.

I also use audio bypass so that I can pipe the sound to the TV rather than my home theater (I do use the home theater, but sometimes just want to use the TV sound). It was all working fine (audio bypass was good with the unit off/standby for each input and each input would play through the home theater with the V675 "on") since I added the Fire Stick, until last night when I switched over to the Fire Stick with the unit "off/standby" (so bypass in place), and got a picture from the Fire Stick, but NO sound. Also got a message about "Incompatible audio signal found. Check output device", and like I said, no sound from the TV speakers. Works ok with the DVD and Sat TV either "on" or "off/standby". Fire Stick does pipe audio to the home theater with the unit "on".

What am I doing wrong or need to check for the Fire Stick to "pipe" to the TV audio with the unit in "off/standby"?

TIA
It looks like your Fire Stick is sending an audio signal that your AVR can handle, but when it passes through to your TV, the TV can't process it.
Try plugging the Fire Stick directly into the TV to change the settings and get something that works, then you can put it back on the AVR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3320 of 3411 Old 06-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
It looks like your Fire Stick is sending an audio signal that your AVR can handle, but when it passes through to your TV, the TV can't process it.
Try plugging the Fire Stick directly into the TV to change the settings and get something that works, then you can put it back on the AVR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Gave that a try, and it worked. We'll see if it holds...

Thanks
post #3321 of 3411 Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 PM

Yamaha RX-V475 video issue

I have a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver. Connected to the receiver I have a Directv Box connected to HDMI 2 and a Sony Blu Ray player connected to HDMI 1. The receiver is than connected to an LG LED Smart TV. I have had this receiver for several years now and never had any issues with it until a few days ago while watching a show with Directv as the source the screen went blank for a second or so followed by "snow", back to a black screen and back to playing normal. Sometimes the TV would stay black and I would have to switch inputs and go back to HDMI 2 and the picture would be fine again. I first suspected a TV issue until I connected the Directv receiver straight to the TV and didn't have the issue. I next did a firmware upgrade to the most recent version and the problem is still there. Tonight I turned on the blu ray player and the screen resolution wasn't right. Not even sure how to describe it other than it wasn't normal. Not sure if it was the blu ray player I plugged it into HDMI 2 and still the same problem. Next I plugged the blu ray player directly into the TV and it was fine. Kind of odd that directv works fine on hdmi 1 or 2 but the blu ray won't. Anyone have any input or had a similar issue?
post #3322 of 3411 Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 AM

Here are 2 pictures. The distorted picture is with the blu ray player connected to any of the HDMI inputs. The other picture is connected to the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35985580_10160628944695128_1712573786433257472_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2419486   Click image for larger version

Name:	36036787_10160628944775128_3014666355703021568_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	2419488  
post #3323 of 3411 Old 06-23-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffman View Post
Here are 2 pictures. The distorted picture is with the blu ray player connected to any of the HDMI inputs. The other picture is connected to the TV.
I'm pretty sure the issue is you have a bad HDMI cord and/or HDMI connection port.

When HDMI exhibits "snow" or color anomalies it means there's a weak signal either due to an abnormally long connection [solution: switch to a thicker (AWG) HDMI cable or one that has an internal/external amp within the line], a poor quality solder point inside the device (e.g. cold solder joint), a dirty/oxidize connection pin [there are 19 or so and if one is bent, loose, dusty, oxidized, etc. there can be intermittent issues], or the HDMI connection isn't pushed in all the way or is poorly seated.. . . Sometimes simply disconnecting and then firmly reconnecting the cable, on both ends, can at least temporarily solve the issue.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3324 of 3411 Old 06-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I'm pretty sure the issue is you have a bad HDMI cord and/or HDMI connection port.

When HDMI exhibits "snow" or color anomalies it means there's a weak signal either due to an abnormally long connection [solution: switch to a thicker (AWG) HDMI cable or one that has an internal/external amp within the line], a poor quality solder point inside the device (e.g. cold solder joint), a dirty/oxidize connection pin [there are 19 or so and if one is bent, loose, dusty, oxidized, etc. there can be intermittent issues], or the HDMI connection isn't pushed in all the way or is poorly seated.. . . Sometimes simply disconnecting and then firmly reconnecting the cable, on both ends, can at least temporarily solve the issue.
Read the post prior to the 2 pictures. I have tried several different HDMI cables. The Blu Ray player connected to the TV works great. Connected to any of the HDMI ports it is distorted. Directv shows up fine on any of the HDMI ports other than when the screen goes black and back on. Just seems odd that the picture on the blu ray player is fine connected straight to the TV but not the reciever.
post #3325 of 3411 Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM

Different devices have different built in HDMI "amps". These different amps have different power and different susceptibility to minor impedance mismatches when connected to other devices. Sometimes a device like a Blu-ray play works fine straight to the TV but when it connects through an intermediate device like an AVR the signal is degraded just enough such that if the signal isn't robust there can be intermittent problems.

Unfortunately diagnosing exactly what's wrong can be difficult for a consumer when on some days everything seems 100% fine yet the next day there are issues. It means your signal level is right on the borderline.

Sometimes these help but there's no guarantee.
post #3326 of 3411 Old 06-24-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffman View Post
Read the post prior to the 2 pictures. I have tried several different HDMI cables. The Blu Ray player connected to the TV works great. Connected to any of the HDMI ports it is distorted. Directv shows up fine on any of the HDMI ports other than when the screen goes black and back on. Just seems odd that the picture on the blu ray player is fine connected straight to the TV but not the reciever.
When you plugged things directly to the TV, did you use the cable from the AVR to the TV, or use the cables connecting the components to the AVR inputs?

post #3327 of 3411 Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an issue with my RX-V475, but have had the same issue with at least one other Yamaha receiver as well.

When you change the Input source via the selector on the front panel, the receiver powers down. This only happens when you use the left hand side button with the arrow pointing to the left. I can select inputs by pressing the right hand side button without any issues.

On a few occasions, the receiver would power on again when I press the left hand side button in the Input selector after it powered down with the preceding button press.

All works fine with the remote control, and I have done a full restore already.

I recal that I have had this issue on a RX-V473 before as well.

Anyone else had this issue before?
post #3328 of 3411 Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Yamaha RX-v675 acting weird, questions

I have moved and re-setup my receiver in the new house.

I opted to not hook up my BD/DVD player to the audio receiver because a lot of times my kids play cartoon DVD's and none of us need them blasting those movies in 5.1 nor do I want them messing with the receiver to do so. So I let them play those movies through the available regular TV audio via HDMI 3 on the TV. If I watch a BD/DVD movie I just use the TV's Audio Optical AV 1 feed to the receiver to play in 5.1

I have my cable box hooked into the HDMI 1 spot on my TV with ARC. I have it there because if I hook it up to HDMI 2 on the TV then the regular TV watching volume really suffers through the TV speakers. So no where in the receivers manual does it specify where to hook up a cable or direcTV box. Does Anyone know? Like i said, I just left it hooked up the HDMI 1 on the TV.

The receiver's HDMI 1 out is hooked to HDMI 2 on the TV so I can view the receiver settings on the TV screen. All good there.

I also have the audio receiver hooked up to my cable box via AV cables to AV#5 since I can access that input on Zone 2 and play the TV outside (my zone 2). Comes in handy if I'm grilling outside and have a game on inside I can step outside and still see the TV through the windows as well as hear it.

My set-up works, don't get me wrong. I have all the sound everywhere I want it. It's just not as exact as the manual said to hook everything up.
But something funny is happening. I can select HDMI 1 input on the receiver and the TV audio plays when watching cable television. But if I unplug the AV 5 red and white cables then I cannot hear the HDMI 1 input from the receiver. Am I truly hearing the HDMI 1 input or am I just hearing the AV 5 input even though the selection HDMI 1 is showing?
post #3329 of 3411 Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
I have moved and re-setup my receiver in the new house.

I opted to not hook up my BD/DVD player to the audio receiver because a lot of times my kids play cartoon DVD's and none of us need them blasting those movies in 5.1 nor do I want them messing with the receiver to do so. So I let them play those movies through the available regular TV audio via HDMI 3 on the TV. If I watch a BD/DVD movie I just use the TV's Audio Optical AV 1 feed to the receiver to play in 5.1

I have my cable box hooked into the HDMI 1 spot on my TV with ARC. I have it there because if I hook it up to HDMI 2 on the TV then the regular TV watching volume really suffers through the TV speakers. So no where in the receivers manual does it specify where to hook up a cable or direcTV box. Does Anyone know? Like i said, I just left it hooked up the HDMI 1 on the TV.

The receiver's HDMI 1 out is hooked to HDMI 2 on the TV so I can view the receiver settings on the TV screen. All good there.

I also have the audio receiver hooked up to my cable box via AV cables to AV#5 since I can access that input on Zone 2 and play the TV outside (my zone 2). Comes in handy if I'm grilling outside and have a game on inside I can step outside and still see the TV through the windows as well as hear it.

My set-up works, don't get me wrong. I have all the sound everywhere I want it. It's just not as exact as the manual said to hook everything up.
But something funny is happening. I can select HDMI 1 input on the receiver and the TV audio plays when watching cable television. But if I unplug the AV 5 red and white cables then I cannot hear the HDMI 1 input from the receiver. Am I truly hearing the HDMI 1 input or am I just hearing the AV 5 input even though the selection HDMI 1 is showing?
Your text is a little confusing, but if I understand correctly....

"ARC" stands for "audio return channel." It is a way of carrying audio back from an HDMI display device to the AVR over an HDMI OUT connection on the AVR.

HDMI-ARC audio will not play on the HDMI1 input of the AVR, but on an AV (audio) input. On my 775, the ARC input defaults to AV4. Check your 675 manual.

As for the TV, to hear HDMI-ARC audio on the AVR, the AVR's HDMI OUT has to be plugged into the ARC-enabled input on the TV. If there is only one, then the AVR should be on that TV input.

The cable box does not need to be on an ARC-enabled input on the TV because the cable audio will play through ANY HDMI input on the TV.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 08-07-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #3330 of 3411 Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Example: I'm listening to music with the TV screen off. I turn on the TV and the receiver automatically switches to the HDMI 1 output and I'm fine with that, but the audio comes from the TV speakers and not the receiver. I have to turn the receiver off then back on for TV audio to go through the AVR. Is there a better way to swap from music listening to TV listening without having to cycle power to my Yamaha R-V675 receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , fire stick , hdmi , optical audio , receiver , rx-v675 , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55c5000 , sound , television , Tivo , yahama rx v675 , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page