Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5004Likes

post #3361 of 3371 Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello Gents,

I have an 675....

I've tried using my phone to compare the SPL of each speaker, but when I get to the subwoofer, even running it hot at +10db it doesn't get to the 75 db that the other speakers get to easily.

Also, has anyone else experienced lip sync delay (audio via optical from TV to receiver is behind the video). Obviously "lip sync delay" that is built into the receiver only makes matters worse.

Any info would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3371 Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 473
^^ What about the volume knob on the back of your subwoofer? Unless it's already maxed out that needs to be turned up. Also make sure any low-pass filter on the back of the sub is off or turned to the highest frequency.

Plus I don't know if a phone can measure low frequencies accurately.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3363 of 3371 Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4655 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapSpeakerGuy View Post
I've tried using my phone to compare the SPL of each speaker, but when I get to the subwoofer, even running it hot at +10db it doesn't get to the 75 db that the other speakers get to easily.
Cellphone mics are optimized for speech, not full range sound. Besides that they are acoustically less sensitive to bass frequencies, they even add in an additional filter on top of that in most cases to suppress bass sensitivity even further to effectively act as a wind screen since most consumers would balk at the proper type of wind screen, a ball of foam over the mic, due to the bulk .
http://www.sandv.com/downloads/1703smit.pdf
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-03-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 3371 Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
If you're using the cell phone mic and some software to gauge the SPL of the sub, it's probably just fine. Use YPAO, and your ears using some known content, and trust that it's in Goldilocks realm.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3365 of 3371 Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thank you gents.

Two other quick questions, if anyone wouldn't mind indulging me.

I'd like to run some cooling as I've changed my set-up and the 675 is now in a cabinet. What areas would be best to set-up fans? Is there a specific area that is known for having problems, HDMI board? Any areas I should really target fans?

Also, is there a way to get the USB port, either front or back, to turn on and off when the unit comes on or off?
post #3366 of 3371 Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I recall there was an option for the rear USB powered in standby, you can check the manual to see if my memory is accurate.

As for cooling, just ensure you have sufficient clearance around the case as per the manual, perhaps rig some airflow through your cabinet to create some cross flow. If you have to put some cooling on a specific part of the case, then you’ve got a bigger problem.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3367 of 3371 Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RX-V675 needs to "warmup"

Hello everybody,

Since 2 to 3 weeks my Yamaha RX-V675 needs to warm up before being able to give stable sound.
I have had no issues in the past with this receiver, it's about five years old now.

When I turn it on in the morning there is no sound, the connected speakers also do not show up on the display.
Very intermittently, there is sound for like halve a second, together with the speakers showing up on the display for the same period of time.
This goes on for about 5 minutes, sometimes with a crackle through the speakers when the sound comes on, and after that the sound is stable untill I power down the receiver for a longer period of time (haven't really tested how long it needs to be off).

I have two Canton GLE 490.2's hooked up to it, including an old Magnat subwoofer.
Having the subwoofer on or off makes no difference at all.
If I let the receiver startup with HDMI as source, or internet radio also makes no difference, both sources produce the issue.

I managed to take two videos of the problem, sadly I cannot post these right now since my post count is at one now.

Thinking about the issue, I'm guessing/hoping its a bad soldering point somewhere that needs to warm up sufficiently to provide a stable connection.

Can anyone help me with this problem or provide advice?

Kind regards,

Loei
post #3368 of 3371 Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 PM

^ The speaker icons show what the AVR thinks it is supposed to send a signal to. If they disappear it means the incoming signal has severed or is "dead air" so it doesn't send anything until it can
re-lock on to a new solid input. Also they disappear if it goes into a self protection mode because it thinks the speaker wires, + and -, are accidentally shorted together [say if water spills on them or there is a loose/faulty connection on the back of one speaker so they touch.]

You might be right about some solder contact being intermittent and as it heats up or cools down the metal either expands or contracts, making or breaking an electrical pathway.

I would test if this bad behavior occurs even with no speakers connected on the back. If it does, this means there is something seriously wrong and the AVR needs servicing. If the problem goes away and it acts as it should this means the load the amps "see" is part of the problem and further diagnostic steps need to be carried out.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3369 of 3371 Old 04-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would it be possible to somehow set different volume setting for each HDMI input/scene?

I watch TV via STB box on HDMI1 (scene TV) usually on volume -30db. If I switch on FireTV on Scene BD DVD - HDMI2, existing volume -30db is too loud. I always need to volume down to -45db..

Or any other way to somehow level the volumes between STB and FireTv
post #3370 of 3371 Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japke View Post
Would it be possible to somehow set different volume setting for each HDMI input/scene?

I watch TV via STB box on HDMI1 (scene TV) usually on volume -30db. If I switch on FireTV on Scene BD DVD - HDMI2, existing volume -30db is too loud. I always need to volume down to -45db..

Or any other way to somehow level the volumes between STB and FireTv
Many Yamahas have a "volume trim" I believe per input. Check the manual.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3371 of 3371 Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"My esteemed colleague" is correct. The 775, at least, has an input trim, allowing to reduce some inputs relative to others, and I use it on two or three devices (I think my Chromecast Gen1 is -4 dB or even -6 dB). Option button, Volume Trim, Input Trim. P. 80 of the OM if you have the 675 or 775.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , fire stick , hdmi , optical audio , receiver , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55c5000 , sound , television , Tivo , yahama rx v675 , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page