The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19782Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9481 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Gracepreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Correct on both counts ... compressed on both BDs and DVDs, but lossless only on BDs which is why it's okay to make the second connection of optical for DVDs only.
Yup.
Gracepreacher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9482 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,328
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4849
Something is very fishy here though. There shouldn't be a dramatic difference in volume levels between DVD and BD from the same player. All film content on shiny disc is mastered to the same levels.

I would check the player and the receiver carefully to ensure all compression settings are disabled. There are features like DRC and "dialogue lift" which may only operate on certain codecs (eg enabled on Dolby Digital from the DVD but doesn't work on the DTS MA/HD audio from the Blu-Ray). That is the type of thing that could account for a gross volume differential.

EDIT: also be aware on the receiver side that certain settings will only be available in certain surround modes. For example of you check to see if DRC is enable but the input signal is DTS it won't even be visible in the Surround Parameter menu.

Last edited by batpig; 11-29-2014 at 05:53 PM.
batpig is offline  
post #9483 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
de8212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK, so I've had my x3000 for about a week. Keep in mind I went from a 1909 to the x3000. I have the exact same speakers as well as MLP, etc. For some reason the sound just isn't as "full" as with the 1909. Hoping someone can give me some ideas.

My speakers are older JBL n series and my sub is an older sony sawm40. Just doesn't seem to cover the same range as my 1909. there were times I didn't have the sub on (wife hates it ) and you could really hear some lower frequencies that, although I wouldn't say were quite like a sub, were pretty low. Now, it's kinda "tinny" and the sub isn't very noticeable (even when my wife lets me keep it on ).

I know I haven't given a ton of info but does anyone have any ideas of a starting point? I ran Audyssey. It already assigned my speakers to small. I changed the front/center/surrounds from 80Hz to 60Hz and couldn't really tell a difference.

I do remember adjusting the dialogue up some because on my old system the dialog was a bit harder to hear. I might adjust it back down though.

Again, I don't have top of the line speakers but the sound isn't quite as good as it was with the 1909 and nothing has changed except the receiver.
de8212 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9484 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Gracepreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Where did Audyssey set your subwoofer level? It's been suggested to make sure it sets it between -6 and 0 initially. If any lower, lower the gain knob on your sub and run Audyssey again until it is in this range. Then, you can bump it in the AVR to your liking, but don't touch the knob on the sub again. That's where I'd start.
Gracepreacher is offline  
post #9485 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
de8212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post
Where did Audyssey set your subwoofer level? It's been suggested to make sure it sets it between -6 and 0 initially. If any lower, lower the gain knob on your sub and run Audyssey again until it is in this range. Then, you can bump it in the AVR to your liking, but don't touch the knob on the sub again. That's where I'd start.
Sub was set to -5.5.
de8212 is offline  
post #9486 of 13279 Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Member
 
Cheesebach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNavy View Post
Netflix Titles "Chirping" Noise: Breaking Bad s01e01: 3:30-4:00
Hunger Games: 15:00-16:00
Bad Santa: 6:30-7:00

Please ensure that the source is bitstreaming DD+ to the AVR then decoded to be able to effectively reproduce this problem.
Played BB and Bad Santa on Netflix off the Xbox One, Bitstream out, no chirping on the X4000.

BB does have some odd sounds in there and a bird chirp right at the end of the titles, then the show opens with birds and crickets, but I'm sure that's not what you're talking about.

EDIT: Just played both using my Sony BD player and no weird sounds.

I didn't notice it since I'm just searching this thread now for something I just read a couple days ago, but have you posted an audio clip of what you are hearing? If not, would you do so?
That's a really good suggestion actually, since it seems odd for so many people on this forum to have no issues when Denon has reproduced it for at least 2 of us here using their own units. With the Bad Santa and Breaking Bad scenes listed, the noise does occur very often, but I think there is too much other audio going on in the scene to really isolate the noise. I think you'd have to get close to the front right or surround left speaker to notice it unless you already know what it sounds like. I've been using The Following, S02E10 from 40:00 to 40:30 as my test scene which makes it stand out a little more IMO. I'm not sure how well it would come through on a recording, but I'll give it a shot when I get a chance to try - hopefully by Monday or Tuesday latest.

Last edited by Cheesebach; 11-29-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Cheesebach is offline  
post #9487 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
OK, so I've had my x3000 for about a week. Keep in mind I went from a 1909 to the x3000. I have the exact same speakers as well as MLP, etc. For some reason the sound just isn't as "full" as with the 1909. Hoping someone can give me some ideas.

My speakers are older JBL n series and my sub is an older sony sawm40. Just doesn't seem to cover the same range as my 1909. there were times I didn't have the sub on (wife hates it ) and you could really hear some lower frequencies that, although I wouldn't say were quite like a sub, were pretty low. Now, it's kinda "tinny" and the sub isn't very noticeable (even when my wife lets me keep it on ).

I know I haven't given a ton of info but does anyone have any ideas of a starting point? I ran Audyssey. It already assigned my speakers to small. I changed the front/center/surrounds from 80Hz to 60Hz and couldn't really tell a difference.

I do remember adjusting the dialogue up some because on my old system the dialog was a bit harder to hear. I might adjust it back down though.

Again, I don't have top of the line speakers but the sound isn't quite as good as it was with the 1909 and nothing has changed except the receiver.
1. Consider redoing your calibration, preferably with the mic on a boom mic stand (or if you don't have one, on a camera tripod).

2. If you set the crossover LOWER than what Audyssey recommends, there is no EQ applied to the range of frequencies below the Audyssey-recommended crossover point.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #9488 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
de8212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
1. Consider redoing your calibration, preferably with the mic on a boom mic stand (or if you don't have one, on a camera tripod).

2. If you set the crossover LOWER than what Audyssey recommends, there is no EQ applied to the range of frequencies below the Audyssey-recommended crossover point.
1. No boom but I did use a tripod. Same one I used when I calibrated the 1909.

2. Crossover on the sub or speakers?? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
de8212 is offline  
post #9489 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

2. Crossover on the sub or speakers?? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
The crossover on the sub should be set to its highest frequency (170 Hz, I think) before you run the Audyssey calibration. Make sure before calibration that you have the phase switch on the sub set either to zero or to whatever position gives you maximum output at your main listening position. Also, I assume you are using the line level input to the sub, which is a better way to go than the speaker-level connections--if you aren't, definitely use the line level subwoofer connection and recalibrate. Make sure that the auto-on function of your sub is actually turning the sub on during listening.

You wrote: "I changed the front/center/surrounds from 80Hz to 60Hz and couldn't really tell a difference." My point was that if Audyssey recommended 80 Hz, and you set your crossover to 60 Hz, no Audyssey correction is getting applied to the range of frequencies between 60 and 80 Hz, which could make a significant difference in the quality and volume of your audible bass.

The Audyssey Reference curve rolls off the high frequencies--if you're using Audyssey FLAT, try the Reference curve instead.

If none of these things I've suggested make a difference, then definitely rerun the Audyssey calibration before blaming the problem on the x3000. Use the Audyssey setup guide to get your best shot at a good calibration:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post14456895

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #9490 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebach View Post
That's a really good suggestion actually, since it seems odd for so many people on this forum to have no issues when Denon has reproduced it for at least 2 of us here using their own units. With the Bad Santa and Breaking Bad scenes listed, the noise does occur very often, but I think there is too much other audio going on in the scene to really isolate the noise. I think you'd have to get close to the front right or surround left speaker to notice it unless you already know what it sounds like. I've been using The Following, S02E10 from 40:00 to 40:30 as my test scene which makes it stand out a little more IMO. I'm not sure how well it would come through on a recording, but I'll give it a shot when I get a chance to try - hopefully by Monday or Tuesday latest.
I tried your test scene and the other two mentioned above using an Oppo set to bitstream audio over HDMI to my x4000. I heard nothing unusual from any of these soundtracks--no odd noises of any kind, no distortion.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #9491 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
de8212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
The crossover on the sub should be set to its highest frequency (170 Hz, I think) before you run the Audyssey calibration. Make sure before calibration that you have the phase switch on the sub set either to zero or to whatever position gives you maximum output at your main listening position. Also, I assume you are using the line level input to the sub, which is a better way to go than the speaker-level connections--if you aren't, definitely use the line level subwoofer connection and recalibrate. Make sure that the auto-on function of your sub is actually turning the sub on during listening.

You wrote: "I changed the front/center/surrounds from 80Hz to 60Hz and couldn't really tell a difference." My point was that if Audyssey recommended 80 Hz, and you set your crossover to 60 Hz, no Audyssey correction is getting applied to the range of frequencies between 60 and 80 Hz, which could make a significant difference in the quality and volume of your audible bass.

The Audyssey Reference curve rolls off the high frequencies--if you're using Audyssey FLAT, try the Reference curve instead.

If none of these things I've suggested make a difference, then definitely rerun the Audyssey calibration before blaming the problem on the x3000. Use the Audyssey setup guide to get your best shot at a good calibration:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post14456895
Sub level knob was at 12 o'clock. Cut off Frequency was at 170Hz. Phase was switched to Normal (As opposed to Reverse). Yes, it was plugged into Line Level In. Power saver was OFF.

All of that was done before running Audyssey, just like it was on my 1909. Sub is in the exact location also.

As far as what Audyssey set my speakers. It set them all to small so I left that. It set my fronts to 60Hz, my center to 40Hz and my surrounds were at 80Hz. Reading the first page here (or the Audyssey thread, can't remember) it said to go back and put them at either 60 or 80. So, I tried both and can't really tell a difference.

I'm not at all familiar with the Reference Curve???



I definitely want to run Audyssey again but it might be a week or so.

So, any setting suggested would be great.

EDIT- Also, maybe I'm missing it in the x3000 but I thought the 1909 had an option to raise the volume of the fronts/center/rears individuality or in pairs. I know the Dialogue for the center can be raised but I'm thinking the L/R a little higher might help.

Last edited by de8212; 11-30-2014 at 01:06 PM.
de8212 is offline  
post #9492 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Member
 
TightLines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping for some quick help that I've had trouble finding an answer to (probably because I don't actually know how to phrase the question.

I do not have a universal remote but am looking to ditch having to use my TV remote to power on/off the TV (the remotes only function).

Is it possible with an E300 to either A) turn on/off the television, B) have the television turn on when selecting a certain receiver input such as "DVD" or "Blu-ray" (then off when the receiver is powered down) or C) have the television turn on when turning on the AppleTV (this is how our Samsung Blu-ray player works).

The problem is that we strictly use AppleTV and would really prefer to only have to use two remotes instead of the 3 currently.

Thanks

Last edited by TightLines; 11-30-2014 at 03:18 PM.
TightLines is offline  
post #9493 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,982
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
^^
You would be best served with a universal remote. Check out the Harmony 650.
ambesolman likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9494 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Member
 
TightLines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
You would be best served with a universal remote. Check out the Harmony 650.
Understood but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Is any of what I outlined above possible given the receiver or AppleTV?
'
TightLines is offline  
post #9495 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,982
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
Sub level knob was at 12 o'clock. Cut off Frequency was at 170Hz. Phase was switched to Normal (As opposed to Reverse). Yes, it was plugged into Line Level In. Power saver was OFF.

All of that was done before running Audyssey, just like it was on my 1909. Sub is in the exact location also.

As far as what Audyssey set my speakers. It set them all to small so I left that. It set my fronts to 60Hz, my center to 40Hz and my surrounds were at 80Hz. Reading the first page here (or the Audyssey thread, can't remember) it said to go back and put them at either 60 or 80. So, I tried both and can't really tell a difference.

I'm not at all familiar with the Reference Curve???



I definitely want to run Audyssey again but it might be a week or so.

So, any setting suggested would be great.

EDIT- Also, maybe I'm missing it in the x3000 but I thought the 1909 had an option to raise the volume of the fronts/center/rears individuality or in pairs. I know the Dialogue for the center can be raised but I'm thinking the L/R a little higher might help.
It's generally best to run Audyssey a few times using different mic positions each time (noting generally where you placed the mic) as doing so can provide a different EQ with one likely more favorable than another. Although the 1909 has the ability to adjust individual channels on the fly, this feature was removed on later models. The only way to adjust speaker volume (other than sub and center channel) is to go to Manual Setup - Test Tones.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9496 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
de8212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It's generally best to run Audyssey a few times using different mic positions each time (noting generally where you placed the mic) as doing so can provide a different EQ with one likely more favorable than another. Although the 1909 has the ability to adjust individual channels on the fly, this feature was removed on later models. The only way to adjust speaker volume (other than sub and center channel) is to go to Manual Setup - Test Tones.
Thanks. I'll run it again next time I get the house to myself.

One other thing I remembered and not sure this would have affected anything is the times I ran it with my 1909 I had my sub a little over 1/2 volume. Not quite 3/4 but somewhere in between 1/2 and 3/4. This time, with the x3000, it was definitely 1/2. So...

a) would putting the sub a little higher than 1/2 be OK to do?
b) in your opinion, would having it 1/2 affected the sound as I described above?
c) as it stands now, would I benefit in any way by adjusting the sub from it's current -5.5db? If yes, what should I try?
de8212 is offline  
post #9497 of 13279 Old 11-30-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,547
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightLines View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
You would be best served with a universal remote. Check out the Harmony 650.
Understood but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Is any of what I outlined above possible given the receiver or AppleTV?
'
A $17 universal like the Xsight Color from eBay will easily control all your devices. If that's not your cup of tea, there are many others in that price range.
mdavej is online now  
post #9498 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,982
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightLines View Post
Understood but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Is any of what I outlined above possible given the receiver or AppleTV?
'
If you enable HDMI-CEC/Control on all devices, it may be possible for them to power OFF when the AVR is powered OFF, and in some (but not all) cases to power ON as well.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9499 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,982
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
Thanks. I'll run it again next time I get the house to myself.

One other thing I remembered and not sure this would have affected anything is the times I ran it with my 1909 I had my sub a little over 1/2 volume. Not quite 3/4 but somewhere in between 1/2 and 3/4. This time, with the x3000, it was definitely 1/2. So...

a) would putting the sub a little higher than 1/2 be OK to do?
b) in your opinion, would having it 1/2 affected the sound as I described above?
c) as it stands now, would I benefit in any way by adjusting the sub from it's current -5.5db? If yes, what should I try?
Where the sub gain knob is placed should be based on what the X3000 sets the sub volume to after running Audyssey. If in its current position, the sub is being set to -5.5db, that is ideal as it still allows you to manually raise this volume using the Subwoofer Level setting on the X3000 at least +3-5db (ie. so moving closer to 0db, from -5.5db to -3.5db or even -0.5db) which most owners prefer doing after running Audyssey.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9500 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
bgoering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Can you use a stereo extension cable for an Audessey microphone? One of my setups has an X3000 running a 5.1 system. The AVR is in a closet downstairs, and I need to run from the AVR - up the stairs and to the main listening position in the upstairs room. I would need at least a 50 ft. (and more likely a 75 ft.) cable plus whatever length comes with the mic for setup. All I can find on monoprice.com are stereo cables.

Thanks, Bill

JVC RS57, Denon 4520-CI, Lumagen 2041, SI BD 144" 2.35 1.4 Gain Screen
Triad Silver inRoom LCR, Triad 600 DSP Platinum Sub
Triad Bronze OnWall Surround. Bronze InCeiling LCR Back Surround
OPPO-103 + Roku Stick, Dune Base 3D, Dune 303D
DirecTV HR21, Apple TV, ~30 TB Promise iSCSI SAN Storage
Upstairs: Denon X3000, LGPN6500 TV, Polk 5.1 Speakers + Sub
bgoering is offline  
post #9501 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Can you use a stereo extension cable for an Audessey microphone? One of my setups has an X3000 running a 5.1 system. The AVR is in a closet downstairs, and I need to run from the AVR - up the stairs and to the main listening position in the upstairs room. I would need at least a 50 ft. (and more likely a 75 ft.) cable plus whatever length comes with the mic for setup. All I can find on monoprice.com are stereo cables.

Thanks, Bill
I would think so, but can't confirm.

However, Parts Express carries mono 3.5mm extension cables: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...50-ft--240-010
smcmillan2 is offline  
post #9502 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Member
 
sourworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNavy View Post
Let me clarify, the Denon engineering team has already been able to reproduce this issue and I have also personally experienced this issue on a X1000 and a X2000. Here are some good samples where the issue that I am describing can be clearly heard as this issue is intermittent by nature. I highly encourage everyone to retest this and report this to Denon so a more permanent solution can finally be put into place. Hopefully, this could speed things along.

Netflix Titles "Chirping" Noise: Breaking Bad s01e01: 3:30-4:00
Hunger Games: 15:00-16:00
Bad Santa: 6:30-7:00

Please ensure that the source is bitstreaming DD+ to the AVR then decoded to be able to effectively reproduce this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebach View Post
Thanks for the info, HMNavy. I was also able to resurrect my PS3 last night (at least temporarily) using the ol' blow dryer and towel trick I can confirm on my end as well, that when I stream DD+ from Netflix and output LPCM from the PS3 to the receiver, the issue is gone. So I agree that Netflix is off the hook in this case, and the issue is coming from the DD+ decoding in the receiver. I'm planning to try going through the reset process on the Denon as a last-ditch effort before opening the issue with Denon customer service, but if that is unsuccessful, I'll definitely be giving them a call today or Monday. BTW, what has Denon proposed to resolve the issue for your case?.
Just saw this issue was being discussed here. There are a few posts about it in this thread as well: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post29413681

I've also noticed this chirping noise from my rear left when watching DD+ content from Netflix through Chromecast. I'll try to get an audio sample if I get time (don't really have any good mics though) and report the issue to Denon.

Edit: I have the E400

Last edited by sourworm; 12-01-2014 at 09:37 AM.
sourworm is offline  
post #9503 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,982
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Can you use a stereo extension cable for an Audessey microphone? One of my setups has an X3000 running a 5.1 system. The AVR is in a closet downstairs, and I need to run from the AVR - up the stairs and to the main listening position in the upstairs room. I would need at least a 50 ft. (and more likely a 75 ft.) cable plus whatever length comes with the mic for setup. All I can find on monoprice.com are stereo cables.

Thanks, Bill

JVC RS57, Denon 4520-CI, Lumagen 2041, SI BD 144" 2.35 1.4 Gain Screen
Triad Silver inRoom LCR, Triad 600 DSP Platinum Sub
Triad Bronze OnWall Surround. Bronze InCeiling LCR Back Surround
OPPO-103 + Roku Stick, Dune Base 3D, Dune 303D
DirecTV HR21, Apple TV, ~30 TB Promise iSCSI SAN Storage
Upstairs: Denon X3000, LGPN6500 TV, Polk 5.1 Speakers + Sub
Not for your intended distance, no. The existing cable with the mic is 25'. Audyssey recommends adding no more than an additional 25' cable (max 50') otherwise anything longer will result in degradation of the signal.
ferl likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9504 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
bgoering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I would think so, but can't confirm.

However, Parts Express carries mono 3.5mm extension cables: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...50-ft--240-010
Thanks for the link. I need to get a tape measure out (or a string seeing as tape measures don't go around corners that well) to determine the actual length I need. I am pretty sure 75' would do it but didn't see that option on parts-express.com, but a pair of the 50' lengths certainly would.

All this begs another question though - would there be any significant signal loss by using such an extension cable setup that would affect the calibration? The upstairs room is the wife's space and she isn't real picky about sound quality, at least not as picky as I am in the main HT! But would like to get the best result I can in any event.

Anyone have experience using an extension cable for Audessey calibration?

Edit: jdsmoothie answered my question about the extension.. LOL, maybe I will have to drill a hole in the floor

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by bgoering; 12-01-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: 2nd Question was answered
bgoering is offline  
post #9505 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Vidgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been shopping for receivers, seeing some good sales on last-year's models. Amazon had a "lightning deal" on an X3000 for about $480, so I thought I'd take a chance on it. It's been ages since I bought a receiver, so I'm sure any of the decent models will give me a lot to play with. Looking forward to streaming, etc. (and hopefully the streaming will make up for the lack of HD Radio).

One thing I'm hoping to find is improved clarity in dialog for movies. It seems that with my current setup, the dialog is often muted compared to the music and effects when they kick in, and just raising the volume of the center is a poor hack. I'm hoping that the "dialog level" with this receiver will fix that problem. For home theater, I don't have unusual needs, and I think this receiver will be fine. I would like to try the wide L/R speakers, but my extra speakers are not at the quality level of my mains, so I'm not sure what to do there. How much signal goes to these wide speakers?

Not sure what exactly to expect for music. My speakers may be a bit of a tough load; though I'm pretty sure they're rated as 8ohm, I've read that they can dip lower in part of the range. Hopefully, the sound quality is still good with all of this DSP processing! My setup is great for 2ch, but the center, even though from the same manufacturer, doesn't quite match, so I think an advanced system like Audyssey should fix that. I was tempted to look at Yamaha, as it seems to me that they get higher marks in the "audiophile" community, although .

I've been looking at several models, and for the money, I don't know that I could do better.
Vidgamer is offline  
post #9506 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,328
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
One thing I'm hoping to find is improved clarity in dialog for movies. It seems that with my current setup, the dialog is often muted compared to the music and effects when they kick in, and just raising the volume of the center is a poor hack. I'm hoping that the "dialog level" with this receiver will fix that problem.
FYI - the "dialogue level" setting actually IS the volume of the center channel. So it's the same "hack" It just gives you direct access via the Audio menu vs. having to dig into the speaker setup menus and run test tones. However, Audyssey MultEQ XT should help improve dialogue clarity just be equalizing the center channel response, but I would strongly recommend (if you haven't done so yet) angling the center channel towards the listener ear level prior to running Audyssey.

That said, based on what you described (music and effects drowning out dialogue) what you will probably find helps the most is Dynamic Volume, which helps balance effects vs. softer parts (like dialogue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
I would like to try the wide L/R speakers, but my extra speakers are not at the quality level of my mains, so I'm not sure what to do there. How much signal goes to these wide speakers?
It can be quite a bit. With Audyssey DSX they get essentially a delayed copy (slightly processed) of the L/R main speakers, giving the impression of the wide reflections you'd get in a huge theater or concert hall. With Neo:X they get more of a "phantom image" between the mains and surrounds to help improve the seamlessness and envelopment of lateral pans. They don't have to be quite as good as the front speakers but they should be a pretty close timbral match, although Audyssey can help with that. So, for example, if your mains are tower speakers using a smaller bookshelf speaker from the same "family" of speakers will generally work well.

Since you already have the extra speakers, it's a free experiment so might as well try it out and see if you like it!
joeyvaz likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #9507 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
sourworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post
Played BB and Bad Santa on Netflix off the Xbox One, Bitstream out, no chirping on the X4000.

BB does have some odd sounds in there and a bird chirp right at the end of the titles, then the show opens with birds and crickets, but I'm sure that's not what you're talking about.

EDIT: Just played both using my Sony BD player and no weird sounds.

I didn't notice it since I'm just searching this thread now for something I just read a couple days ago, but have you posted an audio clip of what you are hearing? If not, would you do so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebach View Post
That's a really good suggestion actually, since it seems odd for so many people on this forum to have no issues when Denon has reproduced it for at least 2 of us here using their own units. With the Bad Santa and Breaking Bad scenes listed, the noise does occur very often, but I think there is too much other audio going on in the scene to really isolate the noise. I think you'd have to get close to the front right or surround left speaker to notice it unless you already know what it sounds like. I've been using The Following, S02E10 from 40:00 to 40:30 as my test scene which makes it stand out a little more IMO. I'm not sure how well it would come through on a recording, but I'll give it a shot when I get a chance to try - hopefully by Monday or Tuesday latest.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1e...ew?usp=sharing

I did a quick recording using my phone of The Following S02E10 somewhere in the 40:00 - 40:30 time (being played from Netflix through a Chromecast) and then upped the gain using Audacity on my computer ... so not an ideal sample but I think it gets the idea across. Ignoring the staticky white noise that is just from the mediocre smartphone mic and too much gain I can still hear the high pitched chirps. There's a lot of chirping in this short clip, but to point out one; just after he says "wishes" at the three second mark.

Last edited by sourworm; 12-01-2014 at 12:57 PM.
sourworm is offline  
post #9508 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourworm View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1e...ew?usp=sharing

I did a quick recording using my phone of The Following S02E10 somewhere in the 40:00 - 40:30 time (being played from Netflix through a Chromecast) and then upped the gain using Audacity on my computer ... so not an ideal sample but I think it gets the idea across. Ignoring the staticky white noise that is just from the mediocre smartphone mic and too much gain I can still here the high pitched chirps. There's a lot of chirping in this short clip, but to point out one; just after he says "wishes" at the three second mark.
That is exactly it! It is hard to notice at first, but once heard, it cannot be undone. Denon has already confirmed this problem with, at least, me and one other user on this forum. I have still yet to hear an update about a permanent solution. Will update if I hear any news.

Last edited by HMNavy; 12-01-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: heard*
HMNavy is offline  
post #9509 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Cheesebach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourworm View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1e...ew?usp=sharing

I did a quick recording using my phone of The Following S02E10 somewhere in the 40:00 - 40:30 time (being played from Netflix through a Chromecast) and then upped the gain using Audacity on my computer ... so not an ideal sample but I think it gets the idea across. Ignoring the staticky white noise that is just from the mediocre smartphone mic and too much gain I can still here the high pitched chirps. There's a lot of chirping in this short clip, but to point out one; just after he says "wishes" at the three second mark.
Thank you so much for taking the time to make a recording of this - I can confirm that this is the same "chirping" noise that I reported to Denon earlier this month. It seems that there are quite likely a very large number of units affected, but I'm not sure that it is being reported to Denon all that much. I'm sure the more complaints they receive about this issue, the sooner and more likely we are to see a fix. My case with Denon has been given to the development team to look into after customer support was able to confirm the issue on one of their own units. I'll hopefully find out more in the next week or so.
Cheesebach is offline  
post #9510 of 13279 Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Member
 
vgtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Denon X1000, in Music or Movie mode, while on Stereo or Multi Ch Stereo, don't allow to rise up volume more than 84.5. When watching movies with DTS-HD, volume stuck in 92.5. I just made a Reset and reinstalled drivers of my Geforce GTX 780, but... it still stuck on these values. Maybe temperature, or something else? What can be happening?
vgtex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay problems , apple 4k tv , assistance , Audyssey , avr , chromecast ultra , d&m firmware writer , dead , dead avr-x4000 , Denon , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , denon avr-x4000 , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , denon x2000 , denon x4000 , dolby digital plus , firmware , fuzz , google home , hdmi , hdmi handshake , lan , looking for help , netflix 5.1 , receiver , RS232 , support , x1000 , X3000 , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off