The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19785Likes

post #9541 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Are there any Xbox One owners out there that can tell me whether they notice an occasional popping sound on top of the normal "tick" sound when navigating through the Xbox interface on their 2013 X series receivers? I purchased a console through one of the MS store black friday deals, and after I booted it up, I immediately noticed that the volume and sound of the tick that is played when navigating through the interface was not consistent and seemed to have an extra "pop" on top of the normal sound that was louder than the normal sound. I checked my sound options and noticed it was set to a default of 7.1, which I changed to 5.1 to match my speaker setup but this didn't have any effect on the noise. I then noticed that if I set the sound output to bitstream instead of uncompressed, the sound went away and every click sounds the same. Based on my understanding of how the Xbox One handles audio though, this isn't a setting that I'd want to use long term. It seems like the "pop" is heard when I wait for about a second or so between clicks, so if I click quickly through the interface it usually only happens on the first click.

Since there shouldn't be much audio processing happening in the receiver when I have the xbox set to uncompressed, I'm wondering whether the xbox or the receiver is the problem. I did find another post about this issue from a X2000 owner, but the thread was old and I didn't see whether there was any resolution. I have the X4000, and am also having an issue with a chirping noise from DD+ sources but I'm not sure how these issues could be related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
I have that issue on my PS3 when I use optical. With HDMI everything is fine. How do you have it connected?
post #9543 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Received a refurb E300 from Accessories 4 Less. Unboxed it and it looked flawless
Hooked up the Blu-ray and Xbox one to it via HDMI and HDMI out to the Panny plasma and problems! I immediately noticed no volume from the FR speaker. Then I saw the image on the TV go in and out. I wiggled the HDMI cable near the input on the E300 and had my picture back and sound from the FR speaker. I thought, maybe I will try another HDMI cable, but unfortunately I experienced the same issue again. I tried another HDMI input on the E300, same issue. Seems like the HDMI cables are a loose fit in the port and it is not making for a good connection. I even tried another Blu-ray player and same same

So, I got an RMA from A4L and off it will go today. I am hoping the replacement will be okay because for the price these units are a steal!!

Anyone else have a similar problem with the E series Denon refurbs?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I have that issue on my PS3 when I use optical. With HDMI everything is fine. How do you have it connected?
I have it connected through HDMI. I manually disabled optical in the options as well, but I didn't notice any difference.
post #9545 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Received a refurb E300 from Accessories 4 Less. Unboxed it and it looked flawless
Hooked up the Blu-ray and Xbox one to it via HDMI and HDMI out to the Panny plasma and problems! I immediately noticed no volume from the FR speaker. Then I saw the image on the TV go in and out. I wiggled the HDMI cable near the input on the E300 and had my picture back and sound from the FR speaker. I thought, maybe I will try another HDMI cable, but unfortunately I experienced the same issue again. I tried another HDMI input on the E300, same issue. Seems like the HDMI cables are a loose fit in the port and it is not making for a good connection. I even tried another Blu-ray player and same same

So, I got an RMA from A4L and off it will go today. I am hoping the replacement will be okay because for the price these units are a steal!!

I got a refurbished E400 from them last year and had to go through the RMA process right after receiving it as well. I forget the exact details of what the issue was but I think the audio was going in and out for one of the speakers. Except I think on my unit it was doing it for all sources (hdmi, radio, etc) so it seemed more an issue with that particular speaker connection terminal on the unit. The second unit however has been working fine (aside from a few issues that don't appear to be specific to me).
post #9546 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Thanks
I hope not, I just ordered one of those yesterday...
post #9547 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebach View Post
I have it connected through HDMI. I manually disabled optical in the options as well, but I didn't notice any difference.
And the AVR reads MULTICH IN or similar?
post #9548 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
And the AVR reads MULTICH IN or similar?
That's correct - MULTICH IN
post #9549 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I would think so, but can't confirm.

However, Parts Express carries mono 3.5mm extension cables: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...50-ft--240-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not for your intended distance, no. The existing cable with the mic is 25'. Audyssey recommends adding no more than an additional 25' cable (max 50') otherwise anything longer will result in degradation of the signal.

Well I did some calculation (never got out the string) and it appears that 52.65366 of cable would do it, so I ordered a 25' and a 6' extension cable today from parts-express and hope I either don't need the extra 6', or that I can get away with it

Thanks for the help guys -- Bill

post #9550 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Well I did some calculation (never got out the string) and it appears that 52.65366 of cable would do it...
Used a micrometer instead?

Hope it's not the last millionth or so of a foot that throws the readings out of whack!

Let us know how it goes!
post #9551 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Are there any Xbox One owners out there that can tell me whether they notice an occasional popping sound on top of the normal "tick" sound when navigating through the Xbox interface on their 2013 X series receivers? I purchased a console through one of the MS store black friday deals, and after I booted it up, I immediately noticed that the volume and sound of the tick that is played when navigating through the interface was not consistent and seemed to have an extra "pop" on top of the normal sound that was louder than the normal sound. I checked my sound options and noticed it was set to a default of 7.1, which I changed to 5.1 to match my speaker setup but this didn't have any effect on the noise. I then noticed that if I set the sound output to bitstream instead of uncompressed, the sound went away and every click sounds the same. Based on my understanding of how the Xbox One handles audio though, this isn't a setting that I'd want to use long term. It seems like the "pop" is heard when I wait for about a second or so between clicks, so if I click quickly through the interface it usually only happens on the first click.

Since there shouldn't be much audio processing happening in the receiver when I have the xbox set to uncompressed, I'm wondering whether the xbox or the receiver is the problem. I did find another post about this issue from a X2000 owner, but the thread was old and I didn't see whether there was any resolution. I have the X4000, and am also having an issue with a chirping noise from DD+ sources but I'm not sure how these issues could be related.
Nothing like that on mine. I've had my X4000 since October (-ish) 2013 and my XBox ONE is a Day One machine (both connected via HDMI).
post #9552 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's correct - MULTICH IN
I'm wondering if it has more to do with the format than the cable type, then. On my PS3 I'm able to select/deselect what sound formats the system will use. Is there something similar on XBox?

I have experienced the same phenomenon with my Windows computer when using optical out, also. Again HDMI fixed it there also, without any other tweaking. I'm not sure exactly where the problem is, just brainstorming.
post #9553 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Denon AVR E-300 and I am having trouble with my subwoofer not working when streaming over Airplay. The sub works fine when using Pandora on the Denon remote app but when I try to use the Pandora or Netflix app or streaming from my browser the sub does not play. I have gone through the menu and made sure that my L and R speakers are set to small and that my subwoofer is set to on. Does anybody have any insight as to what might be going on. Thank you.

Denon AVR E-300, Overnight Sensation MTM, Dayton 1200
post #9554 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Random question since I haven't received by X4000 yes does anyone know what kind of remote it uses (IR or RF) and if it is possible to control it (just volume) by a TiVO Remote? If this is possible it will make my life so much easier with the significant other. She HATES using more than one remote but loves surround =)
post #9555 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would the Denon app work for you?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Frank, "Still the one"
post #9556 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Random question since I haven't received by X4000 yes does anyone know what kind of remote it uses (IR or RF) and if it is possible to control it (just volume) by a TiVO Remote? If this is possible it will make my life so much easier with the significant other. She HATES using more than one remote but loves surround =)
The x4000 uses an IR remote. I don't know anything about Tivo.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #9557 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Used a micrometer instead?

Hope it's not the last millionth or so of a foot that throws the readings out of whack!

Let us know how it goes!
Yeah me too! Actually it was a spreadsheet with a bunch of =sqrt(x*x + y*y) summed up where the x/y are the right-angle wall lengths, around corners, through doors, upstairs to MLP etc. where I have to string the mic cord

Bill
post #9558 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Denon uses IR remotes. No problem with Tivo remote. But a universal remote will make life easier since it can control every function of your Tivo and Denon, like power and do automatic input switching.

Last edited by mdavej; 12-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #9559 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Got it!

Received my X3000 today, bought at a price I could not refuse.

I didn't take the time to set up Audassy, but I did hook up the networking speakers and the Wii U (to judge the upscaling).

The sound without Audassy sounded pretty good, except for the relative speaker levels. I will be interested to see what kinds of adjustments it makes. I want to get a better 3-channel sound; while watching a TV show, everything was collapsed to the center (with only a slight sound coming from the mains). Playing with other sources, the soundstage sounded better, but needs more work.

It would appear I have the latest firmware, which is good.

The Denon seemed heavy at first, but when I removed my old receiver, it was much heavier! Yikes. Normally, I associate weight with quality, when it comes to amplification. I hope it has enough power. The Denon has a ton more options when it comes to setting up things, plus with the advanced surround options, so it's still an overall upgrade, but it does make me wonder....

The lack of pre-amp outputs is a bit surprising, but I can probably live without. It's just that I can worry less about the power if I had the option to augment it.

It was hard for me to tell about the video upscaling. Seemed pretty good, but hard to compare? From what I've read, this receiver should do a better upscaling job than most devices. One problem is that most of my other devices already upscale as needed. What I need is a player that will play DVDs at their native resolution, but Bluray players typically upscale, and I want them to play full 1080! Hmm. A dilemma.
post #9560 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
The lack of pre-amp outputs is a bit surprising, but I can probably live without. It's just that I can worry less about the power if I had the option to augment it.
My X3000 has pre-outs, I would be surprised if the X4000 was lacking them...

Bill
post #9561 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Denon uses IR remotes. No problem with Tivo remote. But a universal remote will make life easier since it can control every function of your Tivo and Denon, like power and do automatic input switching.
Awesome thanks for the info, I can get as far as having her turn on the AVR (with its remote) and The TV (with the TiVO Remote) so as long as I can get the TiVO remote to control the volume of the Denon I am good.

Once I get everything set up I will see if I can go beyond that. I've tried Universal Remotes before and had no luck with them whatsoever. I am sure they are much better / intelligent now but for someone like her that will always go and grab the tivo remote and turn on the TV as soon as you hit the button on say a harmony to play a DVD / Blu Ray the TV would go off while everything else comes on (since the TV was already on).

On one hand I can understand it as I have a TIVO on the bedroom as well so that is what she's used to using and don't have the need for a second universal remote there.
post #9562 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post
Nothing like that on mine. I've had my X4000 since October (-ish) 2013 and my XBox ONE is a Day One machine (both connected via HDMI).
Thanks for the feedback. I think from the replies on this thread for this issue and the DD+ issue I am having, it's starting to look like I must have just gotten a bum X4000. I'm gonna try calling the retailer I bought it through again and try to push for a refund even though I'm outside the return window, but I'm guessing that more than likely I'll be stuck dealing with Denon's customer service for another couple months to get this all sorted out.
post #9563 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Gotcha. Harmony hasn't changed in that respect. But that kind of thing never happens to me since I program my remotes (not Harmony BTW) to always use discrete power and input commands (very easy to do with Denon). Using the same kind of universal in every room and hiding all the original remotes also helps.

Enjoy your Denon.
post #9564 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...but for someone like her that will always go and grab the tivo remote and turn on the TV as soon as you hit the button on say a harmony to play a DVD / Blu Ray the TV would go off while everything else comes on (since the TV was already on).
Go into the Harmony program and tell it you want the TV to be always on. Then it will only be given a command to power off when you press the actual off button.
post #9565 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Go into the Harmony program and tell it you want the TV to be always on. Then it will only be given a command to power off when you press the actual off button.
Unfortunately that won't work in this case. Wife uses Tivo remote, killing Harmony's state tracking. So off would turn TV back on if TV is off to begin with, assuming TV lacks discrete on/off. Only way to get consistent results with Harmony is to use it exclusively.
post #9566 of 13304 Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Unfortunately that won't work in this case. Wife uses Tivo remote, killing Harmony's state tracking. So off would turn TV back on if TV is off to begin with, assuming TV lacks discrete on/off. Only way to get consistent results with Harmony is to use it exclusively.
It's things like this that sometimes make me tired of the Harmony and wish I had a good universal remote that didn't work based on activities.
post #9567 of 13304 Old 12-04-2014, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
My X3000 has pre-outs, I would be surprised if the X4000 was lacking them...
I don't have the X4000, but as for the X3000, the only pre-outs I see are for the subs and zone 2. (See link to manual below.) Unless there's a mode to map the zone 2 pre-outs to support an external amp for L/R output for normal (not zone 2) operation, I would assume that these are just for stereo output to zone 2.

I noticed that there's a bi-amp option, although I've read that there's not much point to it with this amplifier implementation. I'm not sure that that's true, so I'll look into that more at some point. It may be true that there's no overall additional power available, but there still could be a slight improvement in quality. Maybe.

http://assets.denon.com/DocumentMaster/us/Owners%20Manual%20-%20English_AVR-X3000.pdf
post #9568 of 13304 Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
I don't have the X4000, but as for the X3000, the only pre-outs I see are for the subs and zone 2. (See link to manual below.) Unless there's a mode to map the zone 2 pre-outs to support an external amp for L/R output for normal (not zone 2) operation, I would assume that these are just for stereo output to zone 2.

Hi Vidgamer, maybe bgoering has a European X3000 model.
post #9569 of 13304 Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22216 Post(s)
Liked: 12077
Quote:

It was hard for me to tell about the video upscaling. Seemed pretty good, but hard to compare? From what I've read, this receiver should do a better upscaling job than most devices. One problem is that most of my other devices already upscale as needed. What I need is a player that will play DVDs at their native resolution, but Bluray players typically upscale, and I want them to play full 1080! Hmm. A dilemma.
1. Although not supported on the X3000, the new 2014 X3100W has a full set of main zone 7.2 pre-outs.
2. Most devices will do as good or better job of upscaling which is why most will want to set "i/p Scaler" to OFF.
post #9570 of 13304 Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It's things like this that sometimes make me tired of the Harmony and wish I had a good universal remote that didn't work based on activities.
My feelings exactly..I tried a Harmony and didn't care for it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay problems , apple 4k tv , assistance , Audyssey , avr , chromecast ultra , d&m firmware writer , dead , dead avr-x4000 , Denon , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , denon avr-x4000 , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , denon x2000 , denon x4000 , dolby digital plus , firmware , fuzz , google home , hdmi , hdmi handshake , lan , looking for help , netflix 5.1 , receiver , RS232 , support , x1000 , X3000 , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page