The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 323 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19782Likes

post #9661 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
I'll have to look again today to see how I have my music organized because it seems to be alot of clicking just to get a song to play.
Indeed on the AVR, finding a song to play on a DLNA server is a bit tedious, and I don't think the AVR supports playlists so it's doubly annoying. Serviio allows browsing by folder structure (select "Folders" instead of "Artists" or "Albums") but I agree the DLNA client inside the AVR is not that interesting to use. Note that you can add a song on a DLNA server to the Favorites list though.

Using the Denon app is a bit better (the Denon App can act as a DLNA control point) but not by much. BubbleUPnP is more complex but once you understand the layout it's pretty easy to build playlists, save them and recall them. Playlists can include songs found on DLNA servers (with the playlist itself residing on your mobile device).
Onk Yo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the suggestion sourworm, I'll try to give it a shot tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourworm View Post
I use the Harmony 650 remote and the Denon E400 receiver which has 2 zones ... I think it should work similarly. I was able to add Zone 2 as a separate device to get control of it. So I have "Denon AVR-E400" and "Denon AVR-E400 (Zone 2)". I imagine that you have the X4000 as a device already, so just go through the steps to add a new device and search for Denon x4000 zone 2 and then repeat for zone 3. Once the devices are added you can create a new activity, select the devices for each zone you'll want to control, and then you'll be able to customize away sending commands specifically for each zone.

In many ways this seems like a poor way of doing it, but I haven't searched around for alternate methods (like somehow getting the zone 2/3 commands added directly to the main device, maybe by learning from the actual remote?). One major issue with this is that your AVR will now be using three slots of the ridiculously artificially limited device limit (the 650 remote can have eight total, not sure about yours). Another issue is that if you want to have the option to control the other zones from within an activity you have to add those devices when setting it up. And this means it will automatically turn on all the zones when you start the activity.
post #9663 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
No problem, let's just review the basics Anyone can correct me but here's how I see it. You AVR is basically a client and it needs files to be served by a server. On some AVR (not current Denons as far as I know) you can simply access Windows network shares and browse your files as if from another computer. This is nice but somewhat impractical for large libraries of content.
Thanks for that whole post!

I wanted to say that the X4000 can browse my folders on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop. I just go to Media Servers and then navigate to my music folder. I also see a "playlists" option on the Denon. I don't really use playlists so I haven't tried it.

Denon AVR-X4000 | Klipsch RF82 - RC62 - RS62 - (RSX4 satellites not hooked up yet) | av123 MFW-15 subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9664 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Organizing your music into folders for each artist, then a folder for each album definitely makes life easier. Especially if you are using a folder.jpg in each one as album art.
post #9665 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper View Post
"EDIT: I've learned that Denon uses mono, and Power Save must be ON for the port to work in standby."

Is Power Save the same as "Auto Standby?" I can't find Power Save in the manual or the menus.
I think so. I read that elsewhere. Never tried it myself.
Culpepper likes this.
post #9666 of 13279 Old 12-09-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I finally got my Denon X4000 and set it up this AM, one thing that I was very surprised about was when going through the Calibration of the Sub it kept telling me it was way to loud / I needed to get it down to under 75db. It has you start with the Gain Control at the "12 o'clock position" (which was shaking my house like an earthquake!). For me to reach the required level I had to turn it all the way down to about 7 o'clock position which is barely on at all?

I went through the Calibration in about 6 positions but haven't had much time to mess with it since then but so far I feel like the sub isn't doing a whole lot.
post #9667 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I finally got my Denon X4000 and set it up this AM, one thing that I was very surprised about was when going through the Calibration of the Sub it kept telling me it was way to loud / I needed to get it down to under 75db. It has you start with the Gain Control at the "12 o'clock position" (which was shaking my house like an earthquake!). For me to reach the required level I had to turn it all the way down to about 7 o'clock position which is barely on at all?

I went through the Calibration in about 6 positions but haven't had much time to mess with it since then but so far I feel like the sub isn't doing a whole lot.
Not sure why you did 6 positions when Audyssey will accept 8 measurements--give it the most data you can. As for the sub, you might want to have a look at the Audyssey thread, where you'll find dozens of people who complain they don't have enough bass after an Audyssey calibration. What's happening, however, is that you are getting flat bass but aren't used to it. That's what Audyssey does. Still, as a matter of preference, some people turn up the sub trim on the AVR by 3 dB after the calibration is done, which doesn't affect any other corrections Audyssey has implemented.

I don't think my sub is "doing much" until I play a particular classical piece ("Saturn" from Holst's The Planets) that has a 19 Hz organ pedal starting about 2/3 of the way through!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...t-51779-a.html

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #9668 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21992 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

Subs are generally very efficient such that most will end up with a setting of 8 - 10 o'clock (some lower as in your case) however, this is merely a gain control. The goal is to get the sub level to about -6db after running Audyssey, and then you can bump it up 3-5db (ie. closer to 0db) using the Subwoofer Level setting on the AVR's GUI.
post #9669 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Subs are generally very efficient such that most will end up with a setting of 8 - 10 o'clock (some lower as in your case) however, this is merely a gain control. The goal is to get the sub level to about -6db after running Audyssey, and then you can bump it up 3-5db (ie. closer to 0db) using the Subwoofer Level setting on the AVR's GUI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Not sure why you did 6 positions when Audyssey will accept 8 measurements--give it the most data you can. As for the sub, you might want to have a look at the Audyssey thread, where you'll find dozens of people who complain they don't have enough bass after an Audyssey calibration. What's happening, however, is that you are getting flat bass but aren't used to it. That's what Audyssey does. Still, as a matter of preference, some people turn up the sub trim on the AVR by 3 dB after the calibration is done, which doesn't affect any other corrections Audyssey has implemented.

I don't think my sub is "doing much" until I play a particular classical piece ("Saturn" from Holst's The Planets) that has a 19 Hz organ pedal starting about 2/3 of the way through!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...t-51779-a.html
Awesome Thanks guys -

The only reason I did 6 positions is that was pretty much the whole room / listening area. If I do more I will be behind the fronts which I didn't think would make a difference. This was only my initial setup as I am getting new Front Main Speakers (hopefully soon) and will run the set up again.

Another quick question - My old Sony Receiver has different (for lack of a better term) sound stage / processing settings for each mode (Movie, Music, Game, etc) doesn't the Denon have this? I looked in the manual and it seems that if I press the Green "Movie" button I should be able to scroll through different settings / selections? I did that on any of my inputs and I get only one selection / can't change it. I don't really see anything else that would do it? Doesn't this AVR have this option?
post #9670 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 05:16 AM

^^
Not sure what "behind the fronts" means? After doing the initial main listening position as mic #1 , the remaining 7 mic positions should all be within a 1-2' radius of that #1 position (ie. a better result is achieved when only focusing on the MLP and not where others actually sit).

Also, you need to press/hold the MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME buttons to see all available surround modes.
funhouse69 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 12-10-2014 at 05:23 AM.
post #9671 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Getting SmartTV Audio to X4000 from Samsung F8500

After never really messing with the Smart TV function of our Samsung F8500 I decided to see what the smart hub did and had to offer. However, when the smart hub opens the audio comes from the TV and not through the X4000 (unlike the cable box audio that goes through the X4000). Given the location of my TV and the Denon and some serious accessibility issues, I wanted to make sure I definitely knew what to do to fix this problem before trying to get access to the back of the X4000.

Do I simply need to run a second HDMI cable from an unused HDMI on the TV into one of the unused HDMI’s on the X4000? Or, do I just need an optical cable from the TV to the X4000? Ultimately, I just want to get some of the Smart TV functions, like YouTube videos, Amazon Prime, etc. to also play through the receiver.
post #9672 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 AM

^^
When trying to play smart TV apps, the video is already on the TV, so the only thing that needs to be passed to the AVR is the audio. This can be done using HDMI(ARC) passing the audio over the same HDMI cable that is connecting the AVR monitor out to the TV or by connecting an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. Benefits going either way.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ad-faq.html#E4
post #9673 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Playing .mp3's from my network to my x3000 the sub doesn't always work. I figured it was the way the music was recorded maybe (but that would seem weird anyway). When I hit Info on the remote I see the Input Signal doesn't show a sub, just R and L speakers. The Active Speakers do list the sub. Makes sense. BUt then on other songs, it shows the exact same but the sub is working.
I would have thought there would be a mode, for the lack of a better word, that would play the low frequencies through the sub no matter what???
post #9674 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 AM

^^
There is. Set FL/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz.
post #9675 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^
There is. Set FL/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz.
They are definitely set to small although they might be 60Hz, I'll check.

Also, I noticed in my harmony remote setup there was a DTS Neo Music (along with several other modes). I programmed it but it doesn't do anything. Should it? I thought I read the x3000 has DTS Neo but I might be mistaken and don't even know what it is.

I know I should just trust my ears but I am curious what settings/modes others use to listen to music???
post #9676 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 08:05 AM

^^
60Hz or 80Hz .... your choice. DTS Neo is DTS's simulation mode, just as DD PLII/PLIIx/PLIIz are Dolby's simulation modes.
post #9677 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are definitely set to small although they might be 60Hz, I'll check.

Also, I noticed in my harmony remote setup there was a DTS Neo Music (along with several other modes). I programmed it but it doesn't do anything. Should it? I thought I read the x3000 has DTS Neo but I might be mistaken and don't even know what it is.

I know I should just trust my ears but I am curious what settings/modes others use to listen to music???
I know that when I used to listen to music through 4 channels, I thought DTS Music sounded better than Dolby. That was when I had a 5.1 setup where all speakers were the same.

Nowadays I just play through my PS3 in 2.1 to my tower speakers and sub. The AVR reads MULTICH IN and those other modes aren't used.
post #9678 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^
60Hz or 80Hz .... your choice. DTS Neo is DTS's simulation mode, just as DD PLII/PLIIx/PLIIz are Dolby's simulation modes.

It was at 60Hz. I changed to 80Hz but either way, the sub wasn't on all the time at 60.
And it's actually listed as DTSNeo6Music in the harmony database. Nothing happens when i try it at the receiver???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I know that when I used to listen to music through 4 channels, I thought DTS Music sounded better than Dolby. That was when I had a 5.1 setup where all speakers were the same.

Nowadays I just play through my PS3 in 2.1 to my tower speakers and sub. The AVR reads MULTICH IN and those other modes aren't used.
Thanks. I'll see if there's one that just says DTS Music.
post #9679 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
^^
When trying to play smart TV apps, the video is already on the TV, so the only thing that needs to be passed to the AVR is the audio. This can be done using HDMI(ARC) passing the audio over the same HDMI cable that is connecting the AVR monitor out to the TV or by connecting an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. Benefits going either way.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ad-faq.html#E4
Just got home and looked at how my system is wired up. I think I have some things wrong.

I checked, and it appears I have an HDMI running from the X4000's ARC HDMI input to the ARC input on the TV. Yet, when I'm watching TV and receiving audio and video through the X4000 and I hit the smart TV hub go to watch a YouTube video, the audio comes from the TV only still and the cable box audio keeps playing at the same time.

I do have a Slingbox 500 in the mix, so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem. The HDMI out on the Slingbox is going into the "CBL/SAT" input on the X4000. The HDMI in on the Slingbox is going to my Cisco cable box HDMI input. I also have component cables and red/white audio regular running between the cable box and the Slingbox. I'm not sure why I have HDMI even plugged into the Slingbox anymore, because when I pull all the HDMI's out of the Slingbox I can still access and watch TV on my iPad and iPhone via the Slingbox app (of course when I pulled these hDMI's out of the Slingbox I did lose video and audio for the TV).

Should I just be running an HDMI cable from the TV's ARC HDMI input to the X4000 ARC HDMI input? And then also be running an HDMI cable from the Cisco cable box to the X4000's "CBL/SAT"? Meaning the Slingbox is only connected to the cable box via component and red/whit audio cables and still works?
post #9680 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On my AVR X2000 I use the optical out from the TV to the amp and then select "TV Audio" from the remote. This outputs multi channel from the smart apps which have been tested with Netflix and many others. I found this setup the best for me as it still allows you to listen to the tv speakers on those apps when you don't have the amp on.
post #9681 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
^^
Not sure what "behind the fronts" means? After doing the initial main listening position as mic #1 , the remaining 7 mic positions should all be within a 1-2' radius of that #1 position (ie. a better result is achieved when only focusing on the MLP and not where others actually sit).
But what is the sound quality for people who actually do sit outside of the MLP if you calibrate with these positions?

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #9682 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
But what is the sound quality for people who actually do sit outside of the MLP if you calibrate with these positions?
Not likely as noticeable by them as it would by you which is why focus is placed on MLP. You can of course test for yourself by sitting in the other seats.
post #9683 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtyger View Post
Just got home and looked at how my system is wired up. I think I have some things wrong.

I checked, and it appears I have an HDMI running from the X4000's ARC HDMI input to the ARC input on the TV. Yet, when I'm watching TV and receiving audio and video through the X4000 and I hit the smart TV hub go to watch a YouTube video, the audio comes from the TV only still and the cable box audio keeps playing at the same time.

I do have a Slingbox 500 in the mix, so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem. The HDMI out on the Slingbox is going into the "CBL/SAT" input on the X4000. The HDMI in on the Slingbox is going to my Cisco cable box HDMI input. I also have component cables and red/white audio regular running between the cable box and the Slingbox. I'm not sure why I have HDMI even plugged into the Slingbox anymore, because when I pull all the HDMI's out of the Slingbox I can still access and watch TV on my iPad and iPhone via the Slingbox app (of course when I pulled these hDMI's out of the Slingbox I did lose video and audio for the TV).

Should I just be running an HDMI cable from the TV's ARC HDMI input to the X4000 ARC HDMI input? And then also be running an HDMI cable from the Cisco cable box to the X4000's "CBL/SAT"? Meaning the Slingbox is only connected to the cable box via component and red/whit audio cables and still works?
That would be X4000 HDMI(ARC) monitor "output" to the TV's HDMI(ARC) "input." HDMI-CEC on the TV must be enabled as well as audio set to "external speakers" and HDMI Control on the X4000 set to ON.
post #9684 of 13279 Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It was at 60Hz. I changed to 80Hz but either way, the sub wasn't on all the time at 60.
And it's actually listed as DTSNeo6Music in the harmony database. Nothing happens when i try it at the receiver???

Thanks. I'll see if there's one that just says DTS Music.
I believe it will say Neo 6: Music or something to that effect.

And FYI, I put my Infinity P362's on 60Hz. It gives my music more of a "kick". Of course, only do this if your speakers can produce those frequencies without straining. I haven't changed this in a long time, so come to think of it, I'll play around with 80Hz again and see what I think.
post #9685 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 04:52 AM

Balance settings?

Hi everyone.

I have owned a AVR X2000 for almost a year and have it set up to a good standard with quite a bit of equipment running through it. I have been happy with it until recently as I have took the plunge into vinyl and have a Rega Planar 2 connected to it through a Cambridge Audio pre amp.

The sound is great, but the problem I have is the lack (or secretly hidden) balance controls for the amp? The reason I ask this is because the cartridge I'm using has a slight channel imbalance towards the right speaker and I need to correct it.
The amp is set up for 5.1 but when playing music I only use the stereo sound stage, Zone 2 is setup for bi-wired front speakers at present. I have searched in the menus and can't find anything that relates to balance, there is however a setting in Zone 2 where you can change the L/R db. If I use this, will it change it for all sources though?

If anyone has any advice on how I can change the balance on one speaker that'd be great.
Cheers
post #9686 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 AM

^^
There are no "balance" controls as running Audyssey will properly configure the speakers. Otherwise, you can simply go into Manual Setup and adjust a speaker volume as necessary when listening to the Phono. Any change in the Zone 2 settings would only impact Zone 2, however, you would want to use a dedicated set of speakers for Zone 2.
post #9687 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
^^
There are no "balance" controls as running Audyssey will properly configure the speakers. Otherwise, you can simply go into Manual Setup and adjust a speaker volume as necessary when listening to the Phono. Any change in the Zone 2 settings would only impact Zone 2, however, you would want to use a dedicated set of speakers for Zone 2.
Excellent, thank you for clarifying this, wasn't sure if I'd missed something. To adjust the speaker setting on a single input do I just select the input and go into the menu system and select manual setup and it should only affect that input?
All other inputs sound perfectly balanced, but as there are some tolerances in cartridge balance this is my only option in perfecting the balance, or buy a different cartridge.
post #9688 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 AM

^^
Sorry, no, Manual Setup changes are "global", however, source specific volume changes is a new feature on the 2014 models.
post #9689 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
^^
Sorry, no, Manual Setup changes are "global", however, source specific volume changes is a new feature on the 2014 models.
I did think that, looks like i'll be getting another cartridge. Cheers for clearing this up as I've adjusted everything I can on the TT but cannot correct it.
post #9690 of 13279 Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Wink

Quote:
..source specific volume changes is a new feature on the 2014 models.
Wish my 2013 X3000 had that. I'd love to be able to default the volume levels based on the source. As in, since the Xbox has headphones it'd be great to have the AVR set the volume to zero when that input is selected.

This becomes are real adventure when the TV's auto-shutoff timer kicks in at 2am. Which is, of course, right in the middle of the action during a video game. Scrambling to turn the TV back on, but forgetting to turn down (not mute) the AVR. 2am and sounds of video game gunfire do not a happy spouse make...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay problems , apple 4k tv , assistance , Audyssey , avr , chromecast ultra , d&m firmware writer , dead , dead avr-x4000 , Denon , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , denon avr-x4000 , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , denon x2000 , denon x4000 , dolby digital plus , firmware , fuzz , google home , hdmi , hdmi handshake , lan , looking for help , netflix 5.1 , receiver , RS232 , support , x1000 , X3000 , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page