The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 448 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19805Likes

post #13411 of 13465 Old 02-04-2020, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased a used x4000 unit, but I can't get any signal on the pre outs to use with an external amplifier. The subwoofer pre out is working, but none of the others have a signal. No issues with using any the internal amplification, all seems fine there. Is there a trick to getting a signal on the rest of the pre outs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 13465 Old 02-04-2020, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 831 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24231 Post(s)
Liked: 13465
Quote:
Originally Posted by briank996 View Post
I just purchased a used x4000 unit, but I can't get any signal on the pre outs to use with an external amplifier. The subwoofer pre out is working, but none of the others have a signal. No issues with using any the internal amplification, all seems fine there. Is there a trick to getting a signal on the rest of the pre outs?
The first 8 posts of this thread provide a lot of very helpful general information.

Refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset which is the first thing to do whenever you purchase "used" gear to restore the factory default settings.

Note however, that the main zone pre-outs should always be hot (ie. there is no setting to activate them).
post #13413 of 13465 Old 02-04-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The first 8 posts of this thread provide a lot of very helpful general information.

Refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset which is the first thing to do whenever you purchase "used" gear to restore the factory default settings.

Note however, that the main zone pre-outs should always be hot (ie. there is no setting to activate them).
Yep, read through all that and have performed multiple resets but still no signal.

Generally my understanding is that the RCAs should be 'hot' as well, but no luck.

Was hoping this specific model had some kind of activation. Other than that it works and looks like new. The sub pre outs work well, internal amplification works well. What a strange issue.

Last edited by briank996; 02-04-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13414 of 13465 Old 02-04-2020, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank996 View Post
Yep, read through all that and have performed multiple resets but still no signal.

Generally my understanding is that the RCAs should be 'hot' as well, but no luck.

Was hoping this specific model had some kind of activation. Other than that it works and looks like new. The sub pre outs work well, internal amplification works well. What a strange issue.
Return it to the seller as the pre-outs are apparently defective.
post #13415 of 13465 Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
With the cable box, could simply be an HDMI handshake issue. Power off the TV, AVR, and cable box and unplug their respective power cables and HDMI cables that connect them for 10 minutes. Connect all cables. Power on the TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, cable box. The delay is sometimes required to allow for a proper HDMI handshake.

The desktop video resolution setting must be a standard TV resolution to pass through the AVR.

If still no joy, try a few more microprocessor resets in a row (say 3-4 at least) and if still no joy … time to upgrade to a more current model (at least 2015 or newer to pass 4k/HDCP 2.2).
Thanks
post #13416 of 13465 Old 02-09-2020, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry if I'm not in the right forum or thread for this. I have an Denon x4000 and a PS4 (via HDMI). Live TV streaming services including YouTubeTV only broadcast in 2.0. Yet, the Denon always thinks the Input Signal is 5.1 channels, which means I can only switch between:

• Stereo
  • MultiChannel In
  • MultiChannel Stereo
  • Mono Movie
  • Virtual

Question: Is there a way for me to force Dolby ProLogic II Cinema or Neo:X?

The only "workaround" I found so far is in the PS4's "Sound and Settings" menu where I can change Audio Output from HDMI to "Digital Out (Optical)". In this mode, the PS4 still outputs sound via HDMI but the Denon shows Input Signal as 2.0 (this includes Blu-Rays). But at least I can temporarily use this setting whenever I'm watching YouTubeTV and change it back when I'm done. Very annoying.

The more I type this out, the more it seems like a PS4 issue...
post #13417 of 13465 Old 02-10-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Sorry if I'm not in the right forum or thread for this. I have an Denon x4000 and a PS4 (via HDMI). Live TV streaming services including YouTubeTV only broadcast in 2.0. Yet, the Denon always thinks the Input Signal is 5.1 channels, which means I can only switch between:

• Stereo
  • MultiChannel In
  • MultiChannel Stereo
  • Mono Movie
  • Virtual

Question: Is there a way for me to force Dolby ProLogic II Cinema or Neo:X?

The only "workaround" I found so far is in the PS4's "Sound and Settings" menu where I can change Audio Output from HDMI to "Digital Out (Optical)". In this mode, the PS4 still outputs sound via HDMI but the Denon shows Input Signal as 2.0 (this includes Blu-Rays). But at least I can temporarily use this setting whenever I'm watching YouTubeTV and change it back when I'm done. Very annoying.

The more I type this out, the more it seems like a PS4 issue...
It is a PS4 issue. The AVR can only play what it receives. If it is receiving a 5.1 signal, there's no reason to provide a simulation mode (ie. DD PLII or Neo:X).
Comp625 likes this.
post #13418 of 13465 Old 02-10-2020, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Quoted: 5127 Post(s)
Liked: 5724
Unfortunately, some devices have wacky implementations where they send all signals in a 5.1 "container" even when the actual signal is 2.0 stereo. The processor downstream has no way of knowing that 3.1 channels are "blank", it just thinks it's getting a 5.1 input signal.
Comp625 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #13419 of 13465 Old 02-11-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Unfortunately, some devices have wacky implementations where they send all signals in a 5.1 "container" even when the actual signal is 2.0 stereo. The processor downstream has no way of knowing that 3.1 channels are "blank", it just thinks it's getting a 5.1 input signal.
Not just some "devices." One of our local TV stations does the same.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #13420 of 13465 Old 02-11-2020, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Do you know if the Nvidia Shield has this issue? Been tempted to pick one up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #13421 of 13465 Old 02-21-2020, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I have a problem with my Denon tuner and Sony TV. My TV is connect via HDMI with ARC & CEC so my TV can power up the tuner and adjust the volume.
The TV occasionally checks for updates and the Denon incorrectly reads it as a power on and follows, but it doesn't turn off.

So I can be away, come back and find the Denon on even though the TV might not have been used for awhile. Except for disabling CEC, is there a way to get the Denon to automatically shut off after a period of inactivity or something?
post #13422 of 13465 Old 02-22-2020, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I have a problem with my Denon tuner and Sony TV. My TV is connect via HDMI with ARC & CEC so my TV can power up the tuner and adjust the volume.
The TV occasionally checks for updates and the Denon incorrectly reads it as a power on and follows, but it doesn't turn off.

So I can be away, come back and find the Denon on even though the TV might not have been used for awhile. Except for disabling CEC, is there a way to get the Denon to automatically shut off after a period of inactivity or something?
Try using the GENERAL - AUTO STANDBY setting.
post #13423 of 13465 Old 02-22-2020, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try using the GENERAL - AUTO STANDBY setting.
Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Hopefully that'll work. I've been putting up with that for a while now.
post #13424 of 13465 Old 02-25-2020, 03:03 PM

No HDMI Output from Denon AVR-E300

I've been running a desktop computer (media center) and cable box through my Denon AVR-E300 for 6 years with no issues. Due to some construction, they all had to be unplugged and moved. When they got moved back and hooked up, I couldn't get audio or video or out of the receiver. I reset the receiver and was able to get the onscreen display going and seemed to set up everything as normal accept I still get no audio or video from the cable box or computer. I does, however, play music from my phone and shows the phone's display.

The cable box works fine when plugged directly into the display, so no issue there.
Different inputs and different cables did not solve the situation.
Input and output is HDMI.

Coincidentally, or not, the desktop is not putting out any video either. I hooked it up to another display and it says "no signal." Computer is working because shared drives are available and I connect via VNC but I just get a black screen.

Some dust was kicked up and I know some got into the receiver but it's definitely not bad.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
post #13425 of 13465 Old 02-26-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian55 View Post
I've been running a desktop computer (media center) and cable box through my Denon AVR-E300 for 6 years with no issues. Due to some construction, they all had to be unplugged and moved. When they got moved back and hooked up, I couldn't get audio or video or out of the receiver. I reset the receiver and was able to get the onscreen display going and seemed to set up everything as normal accept I still get no audio or video from the cable box or computer. I does, however, play music from my phone and shows the phone's display.

The cable box works fine when plugged directly into the display, so no issue there.
Different inputs and different cables did not solve the situation.
Input and output is HDMI.

Coincidentally, or not, the desktop is not putting out any video either. I hooked it up to another display and it says "no signal." Computer is working because shared drives are available and I connect via VNC but I just get a black screen.

Some dust was kicked up and I know some got into the receiver but it's definitely not bad.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
If a microprocessor reset hasn't resolved the issue, then the HDMI board may have been damaged if cables were unplugged while there was still power going to the AVR. Ensure to try ALL of the HDMI inputs on the E300 as well as other sources if possible. If still no joy, and the cable box is set to 1080 or less, then time to upgrade to a more current model.
post #13426 of 13465 Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I already know the answer to this but would love a 2nd opinion. I've had an AVR-2313CI and two AVR-X1000's for years. I've already had to send in the 2313 for service and am generally not thrilled with Denon's reliability.

One of my AVR-X1000's now has the following three problems:
1) Intermittently won't play anything from the speaker outputs. My iPhone and the AVR thinks they're playing, but there's no output. All sources and speaker output seem affected. I've been able to get audio back with a power disconnect/reconnect.
2) No HDMI output. I usually have this AVR just serving network audio to my back patio, but when I tried to swap it with the other AVR-X1000 in my office today I found the problematic one won't output HDMI.
3) Won't do a proper reset. I've tried both microprocessor and network resets.When I reset the one in my office it immediately goes to the language selection and then setup.

So I'm guessing I at least need to get this AVR serviced, if not just replace it. Given that I only need Airplay in, 2 speakers out, and web/iPhone control (no video) hopefully I've got more options that are less expensive. I would like the possibility of extending audio from my living room to the patio through this (new?) amp, but that's just another input.

In the meantime I can probably just use zone 2 on my 2313, but I seem to remember that causing confusion/issues in the family when someone else was already watching living room TV on that receiver.
post #13427 of 13465 Old 03-27-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoner View Post
I think I already know the answer to this but would love a 2nd opinion. I've had an AVR-2313CI and two AVR-X1000's for years. I've already had to send in the 2313 for service and am generally not thrilled with Denon's reliability.

One of my AVR-X1000's now has the following three problems:
1) Intermittently won't play anything from the speaker outputs. My iPhone and the AVR thinks they're playing, but there's no output. All sources and speaker output seem affected. I've been able to get audio back with a power disconnect/reconnect.
2) No HDMI output. I usually have this AVR just serving network audio to my back patio, but when I tried to swap it with the other AVR-X1000 in my office today I found the problematic one won't output HDMI.
3) Won't do a proper reset. I've tried both microprocessor and network resets.When I reset the one in my office it immediately goes to the language selection and then setup.

So I'm guessing I at least need to get this AVR serviced, if not just replace it. Given that I only need Airplay in, 2 speakers out, and web/iPhone control (no video) hopefully I've got more options that are less expensive. I would like the possibility of extending audio from my living room to the patio through this (new?) amp, but that's just another input.

In the meantime I can probably just use zone 2 on my 2313, but I seem to remember that causing confusion/issues in the family when someone else was already watching living room TV on that receiver.
The X1000 is too dated for service. Upgrade to a more current (eg. 2018 model on clearance) instead. Note that Web Control was removed beginning with the HEOS models released in 2015 and only reintroduced beginning with the 2018 models.

The Airplay issue is that the main zone gets hijacked in order to start the Airplay stream and then it can be selected to Zone 2 after which the original main zone source can be reselected.

Note however, that with the addition of powered wireless HEOS speakers, you can use the Apple Music app to stream audio to them using Bluetooth.
Gerhard_Bader likes this.
post #13428 of 13465 Old 04-10-2020, 05:17 PM

My First Post....I'm probably in the wrong area...

Just bought a X2000 and its sounds great with my Atom V7s.

Reason I'm writing is after searching the thread on this AVR I can't find a resolution to this issue:
I've got high speed HDMI going to my Visio 32" 1080p unit and when I try to use Video Conversion on feature so I can see the on screen changes on the fly I get black dots background on the display?
No issue with HDMI pass through...picture is fine?
Same issue with my BDP-51FD....black dots all over. Revert back and it's gone but no on screen display capability.

It's got me stumped??

post #13429 of 13465 Old 04-10-2020, 05:44 PM

More background sorry...

I Networked the unit and got the latest SW
Reset the MP on the unit upon arrival
Tried the out put on a 24" 1080p TV...same issue?
THX
post #13430 of 13465 Old 04-11-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuberr View Post
I Networked the unit and got the latest SW
Reset the MP on the unit upon arrival
Tried the out put on a 24" 1080p TV...same issue?
THX
Try using other HDMI cables. Also do at least 5 microprocessor resets in a row.

If still no joy, return it.
post #13431 of 13465 Old 04-11-2020, 04:26 AM

Whew....quick response!

Thanks,

Forgot to state that I went through two cables marked " high speed HDMI " also.
I used your USB power data to turn my fans off when I power off the unit.
I'm using a AVR-3808 in my living room...off topic and both AVRs sound great.
I was a fanboy of STR-1040, 50 and 70 Sonys but I leaning hard towards the Denons now.

Getting out all the old CDs and records during this home stay....I'm living musically in the past.

Thanks again!
post #13432 of 13465 Old 04-11-2020, 07:21 AM

No joy....

JDS,

Thanks for the assist...dots persist. Good news is I'm using the x2000 in my office system so I can see the display with no problems.
Bad news is no returns from the vendor. Audio is great and that's my main concern.

Thanks again!
post #13433 of 13465 Old 04-11-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuberr View Post
Forgot to state that I went through two cables marked " high speed HDMI " also.
All HDMI cables are high speed. The bandwidth required goes far beyond anything we ever imagined in the audio world and in fact uses frequencies 100,000 times higher than the UHF radio transmitters I have built. Try "Premium Certified" HDMI cables labelled with this logo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccpLabel.png
Views:	12
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2708666  
smcmillan2 and mrtickleuk like this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #13434 of 13465 Old 04-29-2020, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 2013 Denon AVR-X4000 that I'm setting up with a new 4k projector and 4k devices. I'm only getting 1080p. When I connect the devices directly to the 4k display they negotiate at 4k, but when I connect to the X4000 they negotiate at 1080p. What are the common causes of this and how do I fix them? Thanks! Appreciate any guidance.
post #13435 of 13465 Old 04-29-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I have a 2013 Denon AVR-X4000 that I'm setting up with a new 4k projector and 4k devices. I'm only getting 1080p. When I connect the devices directly to the 4k display they negotiate at 4k, but when I connect to the X4000 they negotiate at 1080p. What are the common causes of this and how do I fix them? Thanks! Appreciate any guidance.
From the first page of this thread:
Quote:
Note: With the release of HDCP 2.2 (2015), and the fact that pretty much all 4k content is now encrypted with HDCP 2.2, 4k/HDCP 2.2 video will not pass through any Denon AVR released prior to 2015.
Gamecock24 likes this.
post #13436 of 13465 Old 04-29-2020, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I have the same AVR and I have a 4k blu ray player with two outputs. One goes to the 4K display and the other for sound goes to the AVRs HTMI input. That way the high res sound is still played from the 4000 and the 4K display gets the Ultra HD picture. For other 4k devices you may have to connect them to the TV and have the TV's ARC send the audio back to the 4000. f
DoctorM likes this.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/show....php?t=1227096
post #13437 of 13465 Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

An HDMI splitter might also work.
post #13438 of 13465 Old 04-30-2020, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Note: With the release of HDCP 2.2 (2015), and the fact that pretty much all 4k content is now encrypted with HDCP 2.2, 4k/HDCP 2.2 video will not pass through any Denon AVR released prior to 2015.
Roger that. I'll buy a new receiver. I don't know what I'll use this one for. It seems stupid to dump a receiver for something like this but oh wellz.
post #13439 of 13465 Old 04-30-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Roger that. I'll buy a new receiver. I don't know what I'll use this one for. It seems stupid to dump a receiver for something like this but oh wellz.
Check out accessories4less/com
scottlindner and DoctorM like this.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/show....php?t=1227096
post #13440 of 13465 Old 04-30-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You could re-purpose the X4000 to a bedroom or office for surround sound or you if you purchase a 9CH X4500H or X3600H, you can use it to expand to 11CH should you want to grow to a 7.1.4 setup. You could also connect it to the Zone 2 monitor output of the new AVR and continue watching a movie (audio+video) in the bedroom that you started in the main room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay problems , apple 4k tv , assistance , Audyssey , avr , chromecast ultra , d&m firmware writer , dead , dead avr-x4000 , Denon , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , denon avr-x4000 , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , denon x2000 , denon x4000 , dolby digital plus , firmware , fuzz , google home , hdmi , hdmi handshake , lan , looking for help , netflix 5.1 , receiver , RS232 , support , x1000 , X3000 , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page