AVS Forum banner
1M views 14K replies 1K participants last post by  DoctorM 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of the 2013 Denon lineup, including the new "E Series" budget lineup and higher level "X Series" models.

The new "E Series" and "X Series" models have been officially released, and will be hitting owner's living rooms soon, so here is the official thread!

Lot's more info and FAQ's to follow.

Denon E-Series Press Release

Denon X-Series Press Release

Denon AVR-E400 Review with Bench Tests at Sound & Vision / HT Mag

What the heck is the "E Series" and "X Series"???

Denon has changed their model naming nomenclature, and the new "E Series" models have effectively replaced the lower level (non CI) models from the Denon consumer level receiver lineup. The E-Series features 2-year warranties, with all but the basic E-200 model including Audyssey MultEQ calibration and an ethernet port for network access. The "X Series" replaced the higher level (CI) models in Denon's receiver lineup; all of these models feature a 3-year warranty, with more advanced Audyssey calibration (XT in the first three models, and XT32 in the X4000) and expanding featuresets for more flexible custom integration and multizone functionality.

Denon E Series Comparison Chart

Essentially, the AVR-E200 replaces the AVR-1513, the AVR-E300 replaces the AVR-1613, and the AVR-E400 replaces the 1913.

Denon X Series Comparison Chart

The AVR-X1000 replaces the AVR-1713 as the lower price point, 5.1 receiver with MultEQ XT, then the X2000, X3000, and X4000 models replace the 2113CI, 2313CI, and 3313CI, respectively.

So what's new in these models compared to the xx13 lineup?

Every year the new models are released, the inevitable question comes up as to whether it's better to buy the preceding model at close-out discount pricing, or to jump on the new model for some exciting new must-have feature. So what's new in the E/X Series lineup compared to the xx13 models? Overall, the changes are subtle, and for the lower level models it may still be a better deal to buy last year's model at a good price. The farther up the line you go, however, the more dramatic the improvements get.

New and/or notable features and changes for all E/X Series models (note that "all" often excludes the E200 which doesn't really count):

* A "Video Select" function, accessed via the OPTION button on the remote, allows you to listen to a USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching a separate video source (including HDMI inputs!)

* ALL inputs can be assigned, including basic RCA analog for the first time (excludes E200)

* Spotify trickles down to E300, standardizing network streaming options (along with AirPlay, Pandora, Internet Radio, and SiriusXM) across all models

* All multizone equipped models (E400 and X Series) get the ALL ZONE STEREO feature that debuted on the 4520CI. This is a "party mode" zone feature which broadcasts the same audio to all zones, and importantly works with ANY input source (digital or analog). So as long as you are OK with the same source playing in both zones, ALL multizone models can now play ANY digital signal to Zone 2!

--- Note that engaging ALL ZONE STEREO will result in a stereo downmix for Main Zone.

--- To use All Zone Stereo, first power on Zone 2, hit the OPTION button on the remote, then select ALL ZONE STEREO from the on-screen menu.

--- Main Zone will lock onto MultiCh Stereo mode, and Zone 2 will switch to whatever source is playing in Main Zone.

* HDMI Standby Passthrough, as before, is included on all models (including the base level E200 model) but with some tweaks:

--- The feature is now disconnected from HDMI Control, so you can leave CEC off while still using it

--- Passthrough defaults to "ON" with Standby Source defaulting to "CBL/SAT" input

* All models feature front panel HDMI and USB inputs (note that E200 has front HDMI but lacks front USB)

* All models have a full color GUI which can overlay on top of video sources (available on the HDMI output only) including 3D signals

--- Note that the E200 cannot overlay GUI on 3D signals

--- Note that the E400, X2000, X3000 and X4000 can also overlay GUI on 4k signals

* 4k scaling / passthrough support on all models except for E200, E300, and X1000

* AM radio tuner returns to all models after a one-year absence

* The INFO button on the remote now calls up a rich display of information including input/output speaker channels:

* New color-coded, horizontally arrayed speaker terminal layout and new binding post design:

--- A new spring-loaded "east connect" binding post design for bare wire connection on the E300/E400 -- but they do NOT accept banana plugs!

--- The X Series models use a traditional binding post but now allows for a "12 o'clock" speaker wire insertion orientation for bare wire

--- The E200 has basic spring clips for all speaker connections

Easy Connect Speaker Terminals

Wait, so what's that "more dramatic" improvement stuff you are talking about the further you go up??

Still working my way through the manuals currently, but the most obvious change is a major step forward in Multizone functionality. So here's some additional changes, moving progressively upward through the X Series:

* All X Series models allow variable volume control of the Zone 2 pre-outs; previously, the 1713 and 2113CI only allowed fixed volume output via the pre-outs.

* The X3000 and X4000 add InstaPrevue, an HDMI PiP technology which allows you to preview any (or all) active HDMI input source in a small window and switch to the one you want seamlessly. Click here to see user flint350's photos of InstaPrevue in the 4520 thread and
here to watch Batpig's crappy iPhone video of InstaPrevue in action[/URL] .

* The X3000 makes two major multizone advances over the 2313CI:

--- (1) The 2nd HDMI output is now an independent Zone 2 HDMI matrix output

--- (2) ALL digital signals (2.0 PCM only, but from HDMI or S/PDIF) can be played to Zone 2 speaker output

* The X3000 also adds DTS Neo:X as an alternative to Audyssey DSX for adding height/width channels instead of surr.back for 7ch configurations.

* The X4000 includes the new digital multizone goodies of the X3000, and then makes a monster splash by bringing some impressive "trickle down" features from the flagship 4520CI model:

--- (1) Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and SubEQ HT

--- (2) Audyssey LFC (low frequency containment)

--- (3) Although the X4000 is a 7ch receiver, it can now expand to 9ch with the addition of at least 2 channels of external amplification

When you factor in state-of-the-art XT32/SubEQ calibration, 9ch expansion capability, DTS Neo:X and Audyssey DSX, full digital multizone capability, HDMI zone matrix output, and Audyssey LFC, it's clear that Denon has positioned the X4000 to be a major player this year, taking direct aim at the Onkyo 818 and upping the ante in several key areas.

Wow, the X4000 sounds amazing! Is there any reason to fork over the extra coin for the 4520CI now??

While the X4000 appears to be a "baby 4520" with most of the important features, there are still some things the 4520 has that may entice people to step up to the flagship model:

1. The 4520 is larger and heavier, with a superior amp section rated to drive 4-ohm speakers.

2. The 4520 has better build quality; it's built in Japan (not China) and has higher quality speaker binding posts for example

3. The 4520 has 9 amps built in, and can expand to 11 channels (instead of 7/9 on the X4000)

4. The 4520 has 4 zones instead of 3; the HDMI Zone output is dedicated to Zone 4, leaving Zones 2/3 independent. On the X4000, the HDMI Zone output shares Zone 2.

5. The 4520 can output component video to Zones 2 and 3, meaning it's possible to distribute HD video to all 4 zones.

6. The 4520 has full 32-bit processing architecture, including 32-bit DAC's and AL32 processing (vs. the 24-bit analogues on the X4000).

7. The 4520 has more legacy (analog) input/output connectivity, including 7.1 multichannel analog inputs, and an extra component video input and output.

8. The 4520 has a built-in 4-port ethernet hub

9. The 4520 has an incredibly flexible Amp Assign configuration, including a "Custom" free assign mode which allows any reassignment of 6 out of the 9 amps. The X4000 has the standard Amp Assign template where only 2 out of the 7 amps are reassignable according to predetermined options.

That said, for most users, the X4000 will be a smarter choice and is really an amazing value, especially considering the critical additions of XT32/SubEQ calibration and the digital multizone options.

See less See more
#12,315 ·
Doesn't matter whether I set my PS3 to bitstream or pcm, the x4000 always says Multi ch in. Must be a PS3 thing

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#12,321 ·
I recently bought one of those Android TV boxes for using Kodi and it's connected to my Denon X2000. I manually changed the resolution on it to 1080p and it works fine.

However after turning the receiver off and then turn it back on (could be either in the next minute or the next day), the display on the Android switches to 720p. It's doing that everytime.

If i choose the 'Automatically choose best resolution' option on the box, it'll switch it to 720p. I'm not sure why because i've set the receiver to convert to 1080p in the settings. For some reason the receiver is being recognised as 720p.

I've asked other people with this box with other receivers but they don't seem to have this issue.

Any ideas?

#12,322 ·
Front Preouts

Can I use thefront left and front right preouts on the X4000 to send whatever source isplaying on the main amp to an HTD whole house audio (WHA) amp so I can listento that source on in other rooms via my WHA system?

Here are theparticulars – I’m running 7.1 on my X4000 in the family room. I have an HTD amplified WHA system (MCA-66) whichallows me to choose up to 6 sources on wall keypads I have in six differentrooms.

Currently, I amonly using 3 of the 6 sources on the HTD/keypad.

• Source 1 of the WHA is connectedvia RCA to the X4000’s Zone 2 which I usually leave set to Apple TV.
  • Source 2 of the WHA is connectedto the X4000’s Zone 3 which I usually leave set to Tuner. Via the Denon app, I can easily change thesource for Zone 2 or 3 to play another X4000 source if I choose like Pandora,or internet radio, or BluRay, etc.
  • Source 3 of the WHA is connectedvia RCA to my Cisco cable box allowing me to hear in any room what is playingon the cable box if it is on. Onenegative of hooking this to the cable box and not the X4000 is that the audiofrom the cable box is about ½ the volume of what comes from the sources comingfrom the Denon L. So, for example, if Iam listening to the radio in the bedroom (which is source 2 connected to X4000)and I switch to source 3 on the wall keypad (which is connected to the Ciscocable box) the volume had to be increased a lot to hear it which I a minorannoyance. Would love to somehow get theTV audio source to the WHA from the X4000 instead of the Cisco cable box.

Since I am onlyusing sources 1 through 3 on the WHA, that leaves sources 4 through 6 not beingused and it would be great if I could even continuously send at least one moresource from the Denon to one of the WHA non-used sources.

One of thefolks at HTD has an X4200 and indicates he has set it up to quote “use thefront left and right audio outputs (the ones right next to the Zone 2 and Zone3 outputs) plugged in as a source” on his HTD WHA system which allows thatsource on the wall keypad “to play whatever is selected for the primary sourceon the Denon (Main).” As a former ownerof the X4000, he believed this should work as well on my X4000.

However, when Ihooked up the RCAs from the X4000 front right and left preouts to the HTD’sopen source 4 nothing played through the WHA. So, I went to the X4000’s setups under speakers-manual-amp assign andsaw that under my current 7.1 setup the preouts were not selectable. So, I then changed it to 9.1 (or 9.2 – I don’trecall what it said now) and then the front preouts became selectable so Iselected them. However, I still was notgetting any audio to source 4 on the WHA no matter what source I played on theDenon X4000 main. I also noticed that byselecting the front preouts that the image/picture of the speaker connectioncircles changed and the fronts were grayed out. Thus, I’ve changed it back to my original setting of 7.1.

So with allthat in mind, back to the question(s):

• Can I use the front left and front right preouts on the X4000 tosend whatever source is playing on the main amp to an HTD whole house audio (WHA)amp so I can listen to that source on in other rooms via my WHA system?
  • If not, can anyone think of a way to get even just the cableTVsource from the Denon (instead of the Cisco cable box) to the WHA so I canaddress the lower volume issue I am experiencing by running the TV audio fromthe Cisco cable box to the WHA.

I tried to bespecific above – hope it helps.

#12,324 ·
So with allthat in mind, back to the question(s):

• Can I use the front left and front right preouts on the X4000 tosend whatever source is playing on the main amp to an HTD whole house audio (WHA)amp so I can listen to that source on in other rooms via my WHA system?
  • If not, can anyone think of a way to get even just the cableTVsource from the Denon (instead of the Cisco cable box) to the WHA so I canaddress the lower volume issue I am experiencing by running the TV audio fromthe Cisco cable box to the WHA.
1. Yes, you can (without having to change the AMP ASSIGN setting as this merely identifies what pre-outs are being used to expand the AVR from 7CH --> 9CH), however, the master volume of the main zone would also change the volume going to the WHA amp, so if nothing is hear from the WHA amp, that means the main zone master volume must be raised higher.
2. Yes. You can connect the RCA from the cable box to the AVR. Then save a Zone 2 Quick Select for each of the Apple TV and cable TV sources.

#12,323 ·
@lawtyger have you tried the 7.1ch/2ch Front or 5.1ch + Front B amp assignments?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#12,326 · (Edited)
Added Projector to Monitor 2 - Blu-Ray Video Signal Lost?

Problem: No Blu-Ray video output to Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 since adding projector.

I don't know if this is a setup problem with my X4000, my projector, or my Panasonic BDB-500 Blu-Ray player. If someone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting, that would be great.

All sources are connected via HDMI to the X4000, with HDMI out to a Panasonic TC-P65GT50 plasma display on Monitor 1 and an Epson PowerLite 8350 projector on Monitor 2.

My cable box video is output with no trouble to both projector and plasma display, but when I switch sources to the Blu-Ray player, I get audio, but no Blu-Ray video on either display device.

I DO, however, get the AVR's "Source Sound Signal" input/output indicator displayed on both devices.

Thinking it might be a HDCP handshake problem, I tried turning the equipment on in various orders, with no change.

It's been a while since I watched a movie on the Blu-Ray player, so I suppose it is possible the problem started before adding the projector.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

#12,327 ·
Problem: No Blu-Ray video output to Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 since adding projector.

I don't know if this is a setup problem with my X4000, my projector, or my Panasonic BDB-500 Blu-Ray player. If someone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting, that would be great.

All sources are connected via HDMI to the X4000, with HDMI out to a Panasonic TC-P65GT50 plasma display on Monitor 1 and an Epson PowerLite 8350 projector on Monitor 2.

My cable box video is output with no trouble to both projector and plasma display, but when I switch sources to the Blu-Ray player, I get audio, but no Blu-Ray video on either display device.

I DO, however, get the AVR's "Source Sound Signal" input/output indicator displayed on both devices.

Thinking it might be a HDCP handshake problem, I tried turning the equipment on in various orders, with no change.

It's been a while since I watched a movie on the Blu-Ray player, so I suppose it is possible the problem started before adding the projector.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
Ensure the "Deep Color Output" setting on the BDP is set to OFF.

#12,336 ·
My problem was in the Blu-Ray player setup. The player's HDMI (sub) out to the AVR was set to audio only. That's why there was no video output from the AVR's monitor 1 or 2 out when the source was the Blu-Ray player. What threw me off was the fact that I had been able to watch Blu-Rays in the past. The reason that worked was because the universal remote's Blu-Ray activity had been set up to switch the plasma display's input to a direct HDMI connection from the Blu-Ray player's HDMI (main) output.

D'OH!

Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I was following one of them when I came across the problem

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12,337 ·
Need help!

I finally got my volume to work normal with stereo encoding, DTS and music Dolby discs BUT Dolby movies are being DRC like nuts!!

I checked all volume limiters and the sources themselves and nothing helped.

It's SEVERE. I was watching deadpool at +5db and action scenes sounded like -15...

Is there anything else I can check?

#12,339 ·
Did I get a dud? When trying to set up the AVR I get a picture that flixers on and off and the screen colors are not normal at all. Nothing connected plays. I've verified all of the devices work when connected directly to the tv.

I can barley get though tbe set up because the picture cuts in and out. I've also tried various HDMI cables.

I was able to get an update started somehow and that is going now. I guess I'll try another tv to make sure it is the AVR

Edit: just tried a different tv. It's a dud...grrrr

Have you tried resetting the microprocessor (post 5) at least 4-5 times?

#12,338 · (Edited)
Did I get a dud? When trying to set up the AVR I get a picture that flixers on and off and the screen colors are not normal at all. Nothing connected plays. I've verified all of the devices work when connected directly to the tv.

I can barley get though tbe set up because the picture cuts in and out. I've also tried various HDMI cables.

I was able to get an update started somehow and that is going now. I guess I'll try another tv to make sure it is the AVR

Edit: just tried a different tv. It's a dud...grrrr

#12,348 ·
HDMI-CEC to change input?

I tried searching through this forum but couldn't find an answer here...

I have a Chromecast connected to my AVR-E400 on the Media Player input, and the HDMI out goes to my Samsung TV (from 2010 but still has HDMI-CEC though it does not have ARC). I only use one other video source on the AVR - the CBL/SAT input for my DVR (no HDMI-CEC).

If everything is off when I go to cast something to the Chromecast, the HDMI CEC signal is passed through to the TV and the TV turns on, but the receiver does not. Is there any setting to get the receiver to power on and switch to the Media Player input (assuming we had been watching something on the DVR before)?

Thanks!

#12,350 ·
I tried searching through this forum but couldn't find an answer here...

I have a Chromecast connected to my AVR-E400 on the Media Player input, and the HDMI out goes to my Samsung TV (from 2010 but still has HDMI-CEC though it does not have ARC). I only use one other video source on the AVR - the CBL/SAT input for my DVR (no HDMI-CEC).

If everything is off when I go to cast something to the Chromecast, the HDMI CEC signal is passed through to the TV and the TV turns on, but the receiver does not. Is there any setting to get the receiver to power on and switch to the Media Player input (assuming we had been watching something on the DVR before)?

Thanks!
Do you have HDMI Control on the AVR set to ON? Otherwise, simply select the Media Player input on the Denon remote which will power on the AVR, select the Media Player source, and possibly power on the TV as well. Other option is to use a Harmony remote instead.

#12,356 ·
I send couple days ago my X4000 for warranty repair HDMI issues but it can't be fixed that is what repair center just said. Denon is going to send new one. Will see what model I will receive.

#12,358 ·
Can someone help me out with a problem that's been driving me crazy lately? I have an Xbox One attached to a Denon AVR-X3000 on the first input (using the Xbox One supplied HDMI cable to the CBL/SAT input on the receiver). The receiver outputs the signal to a Sony XBR 65850B 4K TV (using an Amazon HDMI 2.0 cable to the HDMI 1 input on the TV). When I press the display button on the TV remote, the OSD says the Xbox One signal is 3840 x 2160 so I know the receiver is upscaling the image from 1080p to 4k since the Xbox One settings only allow 1080p as the highest resolution.

On the second input (DVD on the remote), I have a HTPC attached to the receiver using another Amazon HDMI 2.0 cable. It also runs to the TV using the same output cable as mentioned above. The signal is also 1080p from the HTPC (my graphics card isn't powerful enough to output to 4k). But when I hit display on the TV, the signal shows up as 1080p and not 4k like the Xbox One so the receiver is not upscaling the image as it did for the Xbox One.

How is this possible? I'd like to upscale the image on the HTPC to 4k but it won't work. I've tried switching cables and switching inputs with every imaginable combination with no luck. I'm savvy enough to do the basic troubleshooting so I'm wondering if someone knows something I don't. Thanks in advance and apologies if a similar issue has been discussed earlier. I did a cursory search of this thread and didn't find anything similar.

#12,372 ·
Well... my e300 decided to die today for some reason. Bought it from A4L about a year and a half ago and today it just decides to stop receiving or outputting any audio/sound. I troubleshooted to make sure it wasn't the source or cables. Called Denon who advised to do a hard reset (push both < and > buttons while restarting the unit), but even that doesn't seem to work correctly. While the led screen flashes, the unit goes right back to all of my previous settings instead of wiping everything.

Denon said they can't do anything to help and the repair place Denon would have had me go to (about 20min away) said that it's not worth the cost to fix since Denon won't pay for it under warranty. When I tried to explain that I travel most of the time and this unit has been used sparsely in a kid/pet free home the Denon customer rep basically said, "well that's what happens when you buy factory refurbished". I've never been so mad a company and likely won't ever buy Denon again.

#12,373 ·
Power off and unplug the power cable of the AVR for at least 10 minutes. Then do a series of microprocessor resets (see post 5 in the 2013 Denon AVR Owner's thread) in a row ... at least 4 or 5.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html#post23134184

Otherwise, if still no joy, and if you purchased using a credit card, check with the card issuer as many offer a feature where they will extend the warranty of a purchase up to 1 year.

#12,377 ·
I have 3 Denon receivers and 2 routers. One primary ATT U-verse router and I just added another router to have extended range out to our patio. Subsequently, I now want to use AirPlay from the new router.

On my iPad, when I select ATT router wifi all 3 Denons show up. When I select the new router, no Denons show up. I have gone into each router and configured them correctly.

Is there something I'm not thinking of? Why won't AirPlay pick up the 3 Denon receivers on both routers?

#12,380 ·
humming headphones

When I use headphones with my x4000, I hear a constant 60 Hz hum in the background, but there is no hum from this receiver through the speakers, even with the volume all the way up (and no audio playing). Anyone else notice this?

#12,384 ·
It is a known issue with both Denon and Marantz and they are aware of it and currently working on it. JT

Reactions: parekoy
#12,386 ·
I have a recent issue with My Denon x4000. It was working perfectly fine. I could play music on my patio through a chromecast on zone 2 and watch TV on the main zone. Then the cable company put in a new cable box. Now as soon as I turn on zone 2, the receiver refuses to output sound or video on the main zone/TV. When I turn off zone 2, the main zone works fine again.

Can this possibly be related to the cable box? I can't figure out why it would be, but that's the only change.

#12,388 ·
The chromecast source is called chromecast on the former media player named input. Zone 2 is playing chromecast. The cable box is on the cable/sat input and is on the main zone. It also doesn't matter which input I turn on zone 2, as long as it is different than the main zone, then the main zone cable box won't output anything. Xbox and blue ray don't work on zone 2 if the main zone is the new cable box. If the main zone is any other source though, everything works. Or if I turn off zone 2 completely, then the new cable box outputs on the main zone fine.

#12,389 ·
And all the cable guy did was to swap out a different box using the same HDMI cable? Try doing a 'soft reset' by powering off and unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes. Also make sure to power on the components in the following order: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source device.

By Zone 2, do you mean the on board speakers or the Zone 2 HDMI output directly to another TV?