The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1098 Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 431
The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. HDAM pre-amps on that one as well.
@jdsmoothie - Regarding the 6006, do I use the recorder out to connect to the 1504 CD analog in?

I may just go ahead and buy a new SR series AVR.

I keep reading articles about how home theater receivers provide poor performance with 2 channel audio. Here’s a link one if anyone is interested: http://www.hifihunter.com/articles/i...-setup-part-1/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 01-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.
mbroadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1098 Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 431
The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread

@jdsmoothie - what’s your thoughts on adding the PM8006 to the NR1504? I really like the fact that it has HDAM & phono equalizer. Or would it be better to upgrade to the SR6012? Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 01-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.
mbroadus is offline  
post #1083 of 1098 Old 01-17-2018, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@jdsmoothie - what’s your thoughts on adding the PM8006 to the NR1504? I really like the fact that it has HDAM & phono equalizer. Or would it be better to upgrade to the SR6012? Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A good choice if your only interest is 2CH music listening, otherwise the SR5012 with a 3rd party phono pre-amp would be a better choice for combination of music and movie/TV listening for roughly the same price, especially if you sold the NR1504. For an even better bump in audio quality, the SR6012 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 would be the best choice, although will cost you more.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1084 of 1098 Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
A good choice if your only interest is 2CH music listening, otherwise the SR5012 with a 3rd party phono pre-amp would be a better choice for combination of music and movie/TV listening for roughly the same price, especially if you sold the NR1504. For an even better bump in audio quality, the SR6012 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 would be the best choice, although will cost you more.

Thanks...need to clarify that I would like to keep 2 channel listening separate from home theater. I’m pretty happy with my current home theater setup but a little boost from the integrated amp would be helpful. I live in a narrow townhouse and have neighbors so I cannot listen at high volumes. I currently have a 3rd party phono preamp connected to my NR1504 & Denon DP300f turntable which I plan on replacing in a couple months. Sorry for not providing all the info. I do plan on upgrading the AVR next year but if I can find one now that will allow me to separate home theater and 2 channel that sounds fantastic, that would be ideal and I would forgo buying the amp and buy the AVR now. Suggestions?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #1085 of 1098 Old 01-18-2018, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks...need to clarify that I would like to keep 2 channel listening separate from home theater. I’m pretty happy with my current home theater setup but a little boost from the integrated amp would be helpful. I live in a narrow townhouse and have neighbors so I cannot listen at high volumes. I currently have a 3rd party phono preamp connected to my NR1504 & Denon DP300f turntable which I plan on replacing in a couple months. Sorry for not providing all the info. I do plan on upgrading the AVR next year but if I can find one now that will allow me to separate home theater and 2 channel that sounds fantastic, that would be ideal and I would forgo buying the amp and buy the AVR now. Suggestions?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You won't likely notice the 20W difference (50W --> 70W) by adding the PM8006. Better served simply upgrading to the SR5012 or SR6012 for more power, HDAM pre-amps, and better overall audio quality using a better version of Audyssey.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-18-2018 at 04:32 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1086 of 1098 Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You won't likely notice the 20W difference (50W --> 70W) by adding the PM8006. Better served simply upgrading to the NR5012 or NR6012 for more power, HDAM pre-amps, and better overall audio quality using a better version of Audyssey.
Many thanks, that's what I'll do! I believe I'll go ahead and jump up to the SR7012. And vinyl will sound better with the SR7012?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #1087 of 1098 Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Currently running a 3.1 setup and struggling with the sound modes and dialogue. Have a Chromecast 2nd gen and Xbox One that I primarily use for streaming. All dialogue is coming through the center speaker with very minimal sound through the front speakers at all (seems like they are replicating surround only). Have run Audyssey and manually set speaker crossover to 90Hz and set to small. Don't have many sound mode options for the Chromecast, only Dolby Digital + and multi ch stereo. Also updated firmware. Not sure what I am missing.
Ryphon is offline  
post #1088 of 1098 Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryphon View Post
Currently running a 3.1 setup and struggling with the sound modes and dialogue. Have a Chromecast 2nd gen and Xbox One that I primarily use for streaming. All dialogue is coming through the center speaker with very minimal sound through the front speakers at all (seems like they are replicating surround only). Have run Audyssey and manually set speaker crossover to 90Hz and set to small. Don't have many sound mode options for the Chromecast, only Dolby Digital + and multi ch stereo. Also updated firmware. Not sure what I am missing.
The vast majority (85%+) of the audio is primarily directed to the center speaker.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1089 of 1098 Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 AM
Member
 
Phrynichus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The NR 1504 just received a firmware update. From version 9600-3876-9121 to 9600-3876-9141. This is not yet listed on Marantz’ firmware update page: http://us.marantz.com/us/support/pages/productupdates.aspx. I don’t see anything new, but my guess is that it is intended to fix Airplay compatibility with iOS 12 for the iPhone. That is what last year’s late year firmware update was about.
Phrynichus is offline  
post #1090 of 1098 Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrynichus View Post
The NR 1504 just received a firmware update. From version 9600-3876-9121 to 9600-3876-9141. This is not yet listed on Marantz’ firmware update page: http://us.marantz.com/us/support/pag...ctupdates.aspx. I don’t see anything new, but my guess is that it is intended to fix Airplay compatibility with iOS 12 for the iPhone. That is what last year’s late year firmware update was about.
The Pandora logon fix was released early.

https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/ans...ue---sept-2018
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1091 of 1098 Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't use my NR1604 every day, but this past weekend I used it and the Pandora fix firmware update downloaded. So, Good: Pandora works again on the receiver. Bad: it's the "free" Pandora account version; so, you get the 30 second commercial every 5-10 minutes....


You win some, you lose some.....
crp762 is offline  
post #1092 of 1098 Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp762 View Post
I don't use my NR1604 every day, but this past weekend I used it and the Pandora fix firmware update downloaded. So, Good: Pandora works again on the receiver. Bad: it's the "free" Pandora account version; so, you get the 30 second commercial every 5-10 minutes....


You win some, you lose some.....
If you paid for the "Premium" version, there would be no commercials.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1093 of 1098 Old 11-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If you paid for the "Premium" version, there would be no commercials.

If I could just figure out how to "pay" for something that's available on a stereo receiver..... It's been so long now, I can't say for sure, but I don't remember listening to commercials on Pandora before the problem with the service arose.

Last edited by crp762; 11-20-2018 at 02:22 PM.
crp762 is offline  
post #1094 of 1098 Old 11-21-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp762 View Post
If I could just figure out how to "pay" for something that's available on a stereo receiver..... It's been so long now, I can't say for sure, but I don't remember listening to commercials on Pandora before the problem with the service arose.
You have to sign up on Pandora via another medium (eg. laptop or tablet).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1095 of 1098 Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have one of these NR1604 units and when it works I've liked it however about 2.5 years into owning it I had to get it repaired (one of the main channels stopped outputting)... thankfully under warranty. It's been a couple years since then and tonight I find it has the same issue again.

Super frustrating because I'm sure it's out of warranty now. Have any other owners run into reliability issues with this unit?
sihgneg is offline  
post #1096 of 1098 Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihgneg View Post
I have one of these NR1604 units and when it works I've liked it however about 2.5 years into owning it I had to get it repaired (one of the main channels stopped outputting)... thankfully under warranty. It's been a couple years since then and tonight I find it has the same issue again.

Super frustrating because I'm sure it's out of warranty now. Have any other owners run into reliability issues with this unit?
Moot point if someone has as if it's out of warranty … well, it's out of warranty.

The NR1604 is a 2013 model and comes with a 3 year warranty. Credit cards will often add a 1-2 year extended warranty as a benefit of owning the card. Check yours to confirm if still inside that extended warranty period.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1097 of 1098 Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Newbie
 
tobiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Moot point if someone has as if it's out of warranty … well, it's out of warranty.

The NR1604 is a 2013 model and comes with a 3 year warranty. Credit cards will often add a 1-2 year extended warranty as a benefit of owning the card. Check yours to confirm if still inside that extended warranty period.
I have bought online (ebay) a second hand NR1604. I tried to download the latest firmware but found I needed the serial number. I found this on the front of the unit and supplied this, the response was "Not recognized" or some such. Sent an email to Marantz Customer Help supplying the serial number (which I checked I read and supplied correctly). Their response was "We have done a check based on the Serial number, however there was no information available". So is this unit so old the serial number is not recognized, or counterfeit? Marantz CH also said "Alternatively, you can still update the unit via the normal method from the menu, while it is connected to an Internet connection." This seems to be correct, my unit says it is the latest firmware: 8600-3876-1663. Is this correct? Is there a later version? If so how do I download it and install it? What I ultimately want is to get "Spotify" on the Network Main Zone, I get: Favourites; Internet Radio; Media Server; Last.fn and Flicker but not Spotify which Marantz online info says should be available now with the latest firmware: something doesn't add up!
tobiz is offline  
post #1098 of 1098 Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,283
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiz View Post
I have bought online (ebay) a second hand NR1604. I tried to download the latest firmware but found I needed the serial number. I found this on the front of the unit and supplied this, the response was "Not recognized" or some such. Sent an email to Marantz Customer Help supplying the serial number (which I checked I read and supplied correctly). Their response was "We have done a check based on the Serial number, however there was no information available". So is this unit so old the serial number is not recognized, or counterfeit? Marantz CH also said "Alternatively, you can still update the unit via the normal method from the menu, while it is connected to an Internet connection." This seems to be correct, my unit says it is the latest firmware: 8600-3876-1663. Is this correct? Is there a later version? If so how do I download it and install it? What I ultimately want is to get "Spotify" on the Network Main Zone, I get: Favourites; Internet Radio; Media Server; Last.fn and Flicker but not Spotify which Marantz online info says should be available now with the latest firmware: something doesn't add up!
Spotify was removed 12/2017 and replaced with firmware that supports Spotify Connect streamed from a phone/tablet. The NR1608 is the oldest "NR" model currently listed on the Marantz USA firmware download website. If the unit indicates the "latest version" is installed, then there is no newer available firmware for it.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off