Deciding between Onkyo HT-RC360 versus Yamaha HTR-6063 (RX-V667) versus other? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: With a budget of $500, would you buy an Onkyo HT-RC360 or a Yamaha RX-V667 (HTR-6063) or something e
Onkyo HT-RC360 0 0%
Yamaha RX-V667 (HTR-6063) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-14-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I would appreciate any advice in choosing between a new Onkyo HT-RC360 ($392 with tax, discontinued model) versus a used Yamaha HTR-6063 which I think is the same as the RX-V667 ($265 via Craigslist with iPod dock). I'm new to the AVR scene as I'm upgrading from a component stereo system first put together almost 20 years ago. So I'm on a fairly steep learning curve.

Here's the specs on the two AVRs I'm considering:
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-ht-rc360/4507-6466_7-34629352.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v667/4505-6466_7-34137032.html

I'm aware of Onkyo's problems with HDMI connections, which definitely is a strike against the HT-RC360.

BUDGET: I could afford to spend a lot more but I'm frugal by nature and I'm not convinced I need to spend more than about $500 given my relatively basic needs...but I'm open to opinions if people think I'll regret spending so little. I'm happy to buy a used or discontinued model via eBay or Amazon, and I would also consider other models. I have tested a Denon AVR-1713 and liked it (about $400 new with tax), as well as an Onkyo TX-NR414 which was OK but the OSD/GUI was pretty lame (about $375 new).

USAGE: I recently bought the Energy Take Five Classic sub/sats ($160 used). I also have a pair of Mirage M290s which can be bi-amped. I use my system primarily to watch movies/tv shows via Apple TV or USB key connected to a Panasonic BR player. I listen to music a fair amount, again via Apple TV or occasionally CD. I don't game at all and I currently don't have cable. I use my iPhone to listen to music via the Apple TV so I can live without Airplay. In the next year, I'd like set up a media server for lossless music (if I'm convinced my non-golden ears could tell the difference) so I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of network connectivity with the AVR. I don't have a dedicated HT room, and I have neighbors in the building, so I can't go wild on the volume. My TV is getting close to 5 years old and I'm thinking of getting an HD projector when I get around to replacing it - not sure if that's relevant.

One last thing: I'll likely be moving from North America to Europe in late 2013 for a year or two, so I also need to figure out whether I can reasonably use the AVR if relying on a power converter.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
DPV

Edit:typo/clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Ht Rc360 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver Black , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page