Integra/Onkyo DTR 5.5 went silent - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My perfectly working DTR 5.5 suddenly went silent about a week ago.

All speakers, including zone2, even headphone out is silent.
Tested multiple inputs, built-in FM tuner, audessey calibration procedure (normally should make white noise through all speakers) - no sound at all, not even hum on max volume.

Everything else (all lights/menus) work OK.

I did factory reset (Video1+Power button), made sure unit is not on mute, checked 4 internal fuses (all are OK).

I cannot understand at what point would be a failure - preamp section?

Is there anything else I can try fixing or just sell it for parts?

Appreciate any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Any insights?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Did you provide the recommended 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover..
As the Onkyo/Integras AVRs run hot due to higher biasing and multiple internal processors..
Running too hot can cause reliability issues..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

The unit is not in the rack. It does have a TV stand on top, still pretty of breathing space.
One day it was working, next week - nada.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I have read on here that other people have fixed this on other makes by blowing out the headphone jack. If the amp thinks headphones are plugged in it will shutdown the speaker channels. Blow out with compress air, worth a shot. If you have kids maybe they put something in there, my kids put all the knobs off my stereo into the vcr many years ago. lol
post #6 of 9 Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM

I had the same problems and this is what I did to fix it. Take the cover off the unit. Find the transformer, It should be the big thing on the left side near the front. You will see a small circuit board connect to it. On the bottom side of it i found a fuse and discovered it was blown. Replace it with the proper rated and size fuse and if you are lucky your receiver will be working again. That is what i did to get mine working again. I hope this helps. 

post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mr Welch you are hereby nominated audio god status. I never saw this fuse at first perusal. Looks like a 125v 2.5 volt fast blow. Hard to see and hard to replace but this saved my unit from the landfill and hopefully others as well. Now the question is why is it blowing and what is the purpose of a transformer fuse?
Send me your paypal address and i will buy you a beer my friend! Kudos.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by niles300z View Post
Mr Welch you are hereby nominated audio god status. I never saw this fuse at first perusal. Looks like a 125v 2.5 volt fast blow. Hard to see and hard to replace but this saved my unit from the landfill and hopefully others as well. Now the question is why is it blowing and what is the purpose of a transformer fuse?
Send me your paypal address and i will buy you a beer my friend! Kudos.

I have fixed a TON of Onkyo's and Integra's but haven't worked on a DTR5.5. Having said this, that board is typically used to power the control circuitry for the Receiver. There should be a relay, a small transformer, a couple of capacitors and a number of diode's on the board. The primary function of this board is to provide power to the main processor. The main processor is on 100% of the time and when you press the "On/Standby" button what you are doing is actually sending a command to the Main CPU to close the relay on that board. When the relay closes it then supplies the voltages to the front panel, CPU/DAC board and the video board. This essentially powers up the system. At this point the main processor will be monitoring the output of the Main AMP section to ensure that nothing is blown. If it detects a problem, it will shut down, if not, it will turn on the speaker relays to give you sound.

If you are blowing fuses in this area it typically means that one of the downstream capacitors (usually on the video board that sits in the middle) is failing. On these designs, Onkyo would place the voltage regulator (mounted on a heat sink) on this middle board. This regulator requires a mid sized capacitor (usually something like 470uF 6.3volt or 16volt) to provide a stable power source for the front panel/DAC board and when it fails you will see either a blown fuse or no display (depending on whether it is failing into a short or an open).

This kind of problem is usually pretty easy to fix by simply replacing the capacitor. If you have electronics experience this would be relatively simple. If not, it can be a bit confusing. If you do attempt this note that this capacitor MUST be installed in the correct orientation or it will explode.

HTH
Todd
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow. Great info. If I have any more trouble i will go after that cap.
It's true what they say finding and fixing these things sometimes easily even is a feeling a tad below sex. I appreciate the moderators letting my post in after several years as this has been a problem.
I have always maintained there should be no closing or locking of threads as this info and situations occur decades later in some cases and are still very relevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra Dtr 5 5

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page