The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2079Likes

post #3181 of 4222 Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Did one of you ever try to manually calibrate the PEQ built in the Yamaha against YPAO? It would be interesting to know what a professional calibrator dould do against the automatic calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 4222 Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Safe operating temperature

I have a 2030 and have noticed that it gets pretty hot after a short time of operation. Even before hooking everything up and installing it in the rack, with free air all around it got pretty hot in a short while. I bought a dual 120mm fan set-up from Ac-Infinity along with the fan thermostat and speed controller to cool things down. Last night I got them installed and started to watch the football game. After about 30 minutes the digital read-out was showing the probes sensor temp at 85 F with the fans running at full speed. This was from a reading of 70 F at start-up. The temp went up to 91 F in about 1 hour and leveled out by the 4th quarter, about 1 1/2 hours, it was still at the 91. Overall this is was cooler then before I installed the fans. What I'm wondering is; is this normal for these receivers and at what temp is it considered to be "safe operating temperatures"?
Thanks

post #3183 of 4222 Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
^ 91 is certainly not hot. Without fans it's OK to feel somewhat hot, as long as you can easily hold your hand on it.

If you have any speakers set as Large the receiver is going to get hotter than if you have everything set as Small and let the sub handle the bass (most of the power goes into the bass frequencies).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 4222 Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasender91 View Post
I went to a Hifi and HT show in Paris today, and visited the several stands, here is the info i gathered on 3D sound:

1) Most importantly, because it is a question still lurking in the thread, again yesterday it was asked, rougly as "is there is no 1st gen Atmos AVR that is able to place speakers precisely?"
I believe this is important. Atmos places objects precisely in space, but then our speakers are placed in legacy FH or TM unprecise locations????? come on !!!
During my visit on the Yamaha stand, i had a discussion with a tech rep that tested the Beta Atmos FW for the 3040. He assured me that this AVR will be able to place speakers precisely using azimuth and elevation angles , like it does on non-Atmos modes.
Over from the Atmos thread. GREAT NEWS!
post #3185 of 4222 Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Did one of you ever try to manually calibrate the PEQ built in the Yamaha against YPAO? It would be interesting to know what a professional calibrator dould do against the automatic calibration?
Yes. Using REW I calibrated my mains and center. I copied all the other speakers over that YPAO set.

Much smoother sounding IMO compared to YPAO. In fact when comparing YPAO before and after, I didn't really see much change happening (and Audyssey wasn't any different here either). I posted graphs in another thread comparing the differences. Honestly, this was one of the reasons I went with the A5000. I like the ability to control my settings as opposed letting a computer do it. JMO.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #3186 of 4222 Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
bass addict -

forgive my ignorance, but how did you calibrate your mains and center using REW? I'm just getting started with it, so use small words ;-)

Mike

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
post #3187 of 4222 Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
bass addict -

forgive my ignorance, but how did you calibrate your mains and center using REW? I'm just getting started with it, so use small words ;-)

Mike
There is an in depth thread about it that could explain in detail more of it's capabilities. I'm sure you've found it, but it goes into more depth that I could in a short response.

So once I use REW and measure my response, I went into the manual EQ setting and adjusted each filter to specifically combat nulls and peaks. Works much better at attacking specific areas. The end results are a much smoother curve compared to what YPAO or Audyssey is capable of providing. This also allows you to tailor the sound a bit more to your liking. You can roll off the upper frequency of an inherently bright speaker, etc.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #3188 of 4222 Old 10-20-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
There is an in depth thread about it that could explain in detail more of it's capabilities. I'm sure you've found it, but it goes into more depth that I could in a short response. .
Thx - I'm interested in more details on what you measured - I'll take it to PM to avoid clogging the thread.

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
post #3189 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner help needed please. I am running CXA and MXA in a 9.2 format, running the front presence speakers as wides. I ran YPAO today and it only found one of my rear back surround speakers even though I had 2 selected in the manual setup. It also thought all my speakers were the wrong polarity which they were not, so I ignored that msg.
The strange part is that when I listen to 11ch stereo watching cable TV, sound comes from the missing speaker, yet ypao and also test tones don't find it. Am I missing something here?
Cheers
Rob
post #3190 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Best setting for Video

I tried this in the 830 forum, but nada. So, I would appreciate some help if you can. I have the RX-A830 and run HDMI from both a HD_DTA converter (Comcast) set for output resolution to the "Auto" setting. My questions are the following:
1) the make and quality of the Video processor in the 830
2) am I better to have the 830's Video set to Passive and let my Epson projector deinterlace or have the Yamaha do it. Somebody on the Epson board said that is the way to go, stating that the video processor in his Onkyo is better than that of the Epson. Do you think that would be applicable to the 830-I have no idea what processor chip is in the Epson.
3) What setting on your Yamaha do you use for Video (is the processor better in the 1030-3030)?
Thanks very much for any input
post #3191 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I tried this in the 830 forum, but nada. So, I would appreciate some help if you can. I have the RX-A830 and run HDMI from both a HD_DTA converter (Comcast) set for output resolution to the "Auto" setting. My questions are the following:
1) the make and quality of the Video processor in the 830
2) am I better to have the 830's Video set to Passive and let my Epson projector deinterlace or have the Yamaha do it. Somebody on the Epson board said that is the way to go, stating that the video processor in his Onkyo is better than that of the Epson. Do you think that would be applicable to the 830-I have no idea what processor chip is in the Epson.
3) What setting on your Yamaha do you use for Video (is the processor better in the 1030-3030)?
Thanks very much for any input
Your Comcast box is putting out 1080i/p, so there's very little for a video processor to do.
post #3192 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So, if I have the comcast DTA set to auto, I assume it sends out whatever resolution the signal is 480,1080i,or720p-am I correct? Then if I set the resolution on the yamaha to 1080p, the video processor in the receiver is up scaling it to 1080p-shouldn't that be a better picture?? Then I don't know what happens to the signal when it gets to the projector.
Do I have it right or am I totally in left field?
Thanks again.
post #3193 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 302
your better off just trying the yamaha processing on with projector processing off and see if you like it. Then flip it and see which you feel is better.
post #3194 of 4222 Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
So, if I have the comcast DTA set to auto, I assume it sends out whatever resolution the signal is 480,1080i,or720p-am I correct? Then if I set the resolution on the yamaha to 1080p, the video processor in the receiver is up scaling it to 1080p-shouldn't that be a better picture?? Then I don't know what happens to the signal when it gets to the projector.
Do I have it right or am I totally in left field?
Thanks again.
"Auto" generally (should) mean that the device sends what the display is handshaking for.
"Native" or a similar setting would output whatever the source channel is. I don't think the Comcast boxes offer that.
post #3195 of 4222 Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
your better off just trying the yamaha processing on with projector processing off and see if you like it. Then flip it and see which you feel is better.

I currently have my A5000 in "through" mode for video - and letting my JVC X30 handle any non 1080p processing.

- if I set it to 1080p - will an incoming 1080p signal from my Oppo be re-processed or be untouched by the Yamaha??????
post #3196 of 4222 Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your Comcast box is putting out 1080i/p, so there's very little for a video processor to do.
There is a lot to do with 1080i.

Very little to do with progressive content.
post #3197 of 4222 Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There is a lot to do with 1080i.

Very little to do with progressive content 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.
post #3198 of 4222 Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So how is the video processing on these ? Does the 2030/3030 make a noticeable difference with HD content or does it seem pretty much the same ?
post #3199 of 4222 Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just purchased a 1030 from Amazon and have some conflicting information - would love input if you guys don't mind.

I understand that the general rule is set all speakers to small to let the sub do lower end frequencies but I am not sure my current setup works well that way. the front 5 speakers are Yamaha NS-777 towers which say they go down to 30Hz, rears are Yamaha NS-333 bookshelves so it made sense to set those to Small.

My sub is a piece of junk DCM brand 10" 100 watt which supposedly only goes down to 40Hz. I will be ordering an HSU VTF-15H MK2 or the original version in about a month but I just wanted to learn how to configure from experience with what I have for now.

YPAO sounded ok except that it set the sub crossover at 40Hz (which didn't entirely surprise me since other people have recommended setting the sub crossover 10Hz above whatever the main speakers can do) so the sub basically can't do anything - and as mentioned it thought my rear surround 333's were Large. It also got the distance a bit wrong for everything.

I manually fixed the distance, changed the sub crossover up to 60Hz so hopefully the sub would have something to do, and changed the rear surrounds to Small as they can't handle bass at all and that all seemed to make a big difference on overall balance but the sub is still too quiet. I know 40Hz is not all that low, but with the old receiver I could at least still tell that it was doing it's job (granted I had the volume maxed out on the sub itself).

Is it normal for YPAO to make the subwoofer too quiet?
post #3200 of 4222 Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please help!
I've just built my first HT with a laptop connect to Yamaha RX-V1075 (similar with A1030) then LG TV. All by HDMI cable.
I'm using XBMC on laptop to play all my music and video.

This is my first HT set up so I just wondering if it is normal when:
- Laptop ON, Receiver ON. Laptop detect Rx-V1075 is a Audio Playback, however, when I turn on TV, it changes to LG TV as Audio Playback, the Yamaha receiver disappear in playback list of laptop.
- If I'm listening to music and turn off the TV, the sound from speakers is off too and the laptop speakers play the music instead, the laptop soundcard is the Audio Playback now.

Those are really annoying me. Is there anyway that Laptop use the receiver as Audio Playback all the time and I can listen to music even the TV turned off.
post #3201 of 4222 Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please help!
I've just built my first HT with a laptop connect to Yamaha RX-V1075 (similar with A1030) then LG TV. All by HDMI cable.

- Laptop ON, Receiver ON. Laptop detect Rx-V1075 is a Audio Playback, however, when I turn on TV, it changes to LG TV as Audio Playback, the Yamaha receiver disappear in playback list of laptop.
- If I'm listening to music and turn off the TV, the sound from speakers is off too and the laptop speakers play the music instead, the laptop soundcard is the Audio Playback now.

Those are really annoying me. Is there anyway that Laptop use the receiver as Audio Playback all the time and I can listen to music even the TV turned off.
post #3202 of 4222 Old 10-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
I just purchased a 1030 from Amazon and have some conflicting information - would love input if you guys don't mind.

I understand that the general rule is set all speakers to small to let the sub do lower end frequencies but I am not sure my current setup works well that way. the front 5 speakers are Yamaha NS-777 towers which say they go down to 30Hz, rears are Yamaha NS-333 bookshelves so it made sense to set those to Small.

My sub is a piece of junk DCM brand 10" 100 watt which supposedly only goes down to 40Hz. I will be ordering an HSU VTF-15H MK2 or the original version in about a month but I just wanted to learn how to configure from experience with what I have for now.

YPAO sounded ok except that it set the sub crossover at 40Hz (which didn't entirely surprise me since other people have recommended setting the sub crossover 10Hz above whatever the main speakers can do) so the sub basically can't do anything - and as mentioned it thought my rear surround 333's were Large. It also got the distance a bit wrong for everything.

I manually fixed the distance, changed the sub crossover up to 60Hz so hopefully the sub would have something to do, and changed the rear surrounds to Small as they can't handle bass at all and that all seemed to make a big difference on overall balance but the sub is still too quiet. I know 40Hz is not all that low, but with the old receiver I could at least still tell that it was doing it's job (granted I had the volume maxed out on the sub itself).

Is it normal for YPAO to make the subwoofer too quiet?
Kalm -

yes, it's typical that YPAO will set the sub level around -6 to -9. In my case, I reset that to -2.5 in YPAO and then fiddle with the sub trim as necessary for the content.

Also - be careful about changing the speaker distances. It's less a matter of how far the speakers PHYSICALLY are from your primary listening position, and more about how long it takes the sound to get there due to circuitry, etc. If I were in your position, I'd be setting everything to a crossover of 80Hz, setting all the speakers to "Small" and letting the sub do everything it can. Even if the sub only goes down to 40Hz, you'll still be able to get some chest thump. Just not as much as you will with a 15" sub. In general, try to avoid playing with the distances (the Sub Distance Tweak being a notable exception), and adjust levels as you need to for consistent SPL readings at the listening position.

If I may be so bold, you may want to take a long hard look at PSA's XS15se and XV15se. Power Sound Audio makes a fantastic sub and I had a great customer service experience with them.

Mike
Kalm_Traveler likes this.

Last edited by mjmcmahon67; 10-29-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification on distance settings
post #3203 of 4222 Old 10-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Kalm -

just to confirm after I looked at the SW10's manual, here are some other things I would change on your sub:

1.) Set the crossover knob on the sub to maximum (160Hz)

2.) Adjust the Level on the subwoofer up until YPAO sets it between -6 and -9 dB

3.) Once YPAO finishes, try setting the subwoofer level on the receiver to -3 dB

4.) When you're listening to movies or music, use the Subwoofer Trim in the Receiver options to make any adjustments. Once you're keeping things at a more or less constant level, then consider adjusting the level in the YPAO settings.

...just be prepared to have to re-do most of this once your new sub gets delivered.

Hope this helps, sing out if you need more help!

Mike

post #3204 of 4222 Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks Mike! I will certainly consider those two you mentioned, though one major selling point for me with the Hsu unit is the ability to plug both ports.

I may just need buy 2-3 different models and sample them all in-home before deciding which to keep!
post #3205 of 4222 Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Please help!

Anybody on this ? I am experiencing a similar situation using a Yamaha RX-A3040. I use a PC based media server running Jriver Media Center. Output is via HDMI from nVidia Video Card. If my TV is off, Jriver detects the Yamaha A3040 as the playback device. If I turn on the TV (Mitsubishi DLP), it no longer detects the Yamaha but sees the TV as a playback device instead. When the TV is off, it returns to seeing the Yamaha. This causes issues when the media center is shut off, and the rest of the system is turned off, upon power up again, the Media server defaults to a different output because the output that was there originally (TV) is not there the next time the sever is powered up and only the receiver is there, I then have to go into Jriver options and set it again. I never had an issue when I had my Integra 70.2 Receiver. Is there a way to fix this ?

Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine

Last edited by Gordon-XZ71; 10-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #3206 of 4222 Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The problem is you have your TV set as the default audio device in the Windows sound properties. To fix this right click on the speaker icon on the left hand side of your task bar (bottom left near where it shows your current time and date). Select "Playback devices" and when the dialogue box opens left click on the Yamaha receiver icon. Once this is highlighted click the "Set as Default" button then the "Apply" button. Now when the Yamaha is ON it will be your primary playback device, when it is OFF it should default to your TV. If not, you will need to right click on the other devices listed and "Disable" them so they are not used by the PC. I have the CX-A5000 with an HTPC connected via HDMI and have not had any issues when I set it this way. One thing to keep in mind is even though the CX-A5000 is set as the primary default playback device you may still get sound out of your TV so you will want to either mute the actual TV speakers or turn the volume to 0 on the TV.

Hope this helps

Yamaha CX-A5200, ATI AT 2007 Amp, ATI AT 2004 Amp, Klipsch La Scala II- Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers, Antimode Dual Core 2, Oppo UDP-205, MMF-7.1, Tavish Adagio phono pre w/tube power supply, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, and TASCAM DA-3000 SS Recorder, Kramer VS-88A Matrix Switch, Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp, Atlas Magnum II Amp, Sony HAPZ1-ES
post #3207 of 4222 Old 10-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
Thanks Mike! I will certainly consider those two you mentioned, though one major selling point for me with the Hsu unit is the ability to plug both ports.

I may just need buy 2-3 different models and sample them all in-home before deciding which to keep!
Free shipping both ways on the PSA subs....just sayin' ;-)

I've got a single XS15se in a approx 3400 cu ft room and the performance is excellent. I just replaced a bunch of furniture and am moving the surrounds today so I'll need to re-run YPAO, but I was getting strong performance out of the XS15se down to ~15Hz:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	better curve.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	340273  

post #3208 of 4222 Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
The problem is you have your TV set as the default audio device in the Windows sound properties. To fix this right click on the speaker icon on the left hand side of your task bar (bottom left near where it shows your current time and date). Select "Playback devices" and when the dialogue box opens left click on the Yamaha receiver icon. Once this is highlighted click the "Set as Default" button then the "Apply" button. Now when the Yamaha is ON it will be your primary playback device, when it is OFF it should default to your TV. If not, you will need to right click on the other devices listed and "Disable" them so they are not used by the PC. I have the CX-A5000 with an HTPC connected via HDMI and have not had any issues when I set it this way. One thing to keep in mind is even though the CX-A5000 is set as the primary default playback device you may still get sound out of your TV so you will want to either mute the actual TV speakers or turn the volume to 0 on the TV.

Hope this helps
I tried this, in Windows Sound Properties, when the TV is default, the Yamaha A3040 is not even on the list, when the TV is off, then the Yamaha A3040 appears on the list, but the TV is gone. The switching of these two is giving Jriver a hard time. I do not know why the TV has to dominate when it is turned on and why the Yamaha disappears from the list when the TV is on and vise versa. My TV is connected to the Yamaha A3040 via HDMI

post #3209 of 4222 Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-XZ71 View Post
I tried this, in Windows Sound Properties, when the TV is default, the Yamaha A3040 is not even on the list, when the TV is off, then the Yamaha A3040 appears on the list, but the TV is gone. The switching of these two is giving Jriver a hard time. I do not know why the TV has to dominate when it is turned on and why the Yamaha disappears from the list when the TV is on and vise versa. My TV is connected to the Yamaha A3040 via HDMI
I had to send the sound separately via optical audio cable to get around this issue.
post #3210 of 4222 Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I had to send the sound separately via optical audio cable to get around this issue.
Thanks, unfortunately this not an option for me. At times I send multi-channel music files through and only HDMI works for this. I do have the ability to send via digital coax with a Asus Zonar card, but Multi-Channel does not work only 2ch. This was never an issue when I was using my Integra 70.2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page