The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2079Likes

post #4201 of 4222 Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post
Hi,

I have a LG 65OLEDC8 and a Yamaha RX-A3030 where I have activated HDMI ARC to get sound from the Smart-TV to the Receiver. The problem is that the control part of ARC is messing up my Logitech Harmony schema, it changes the input on the Receiver in a strange way.

I have looked for a setting to turn off only the control part in ARC but there is only one setting in each of the producut for HDMI ARC(ON/OFF)?

Do I have to use optic input from the TV instead or have I missed a setting?
ARC requires a dedicated input on your receiver. On your particular receiver, the default is “Input 1”, but can be changed in the “HDMI Controls” settings (see page 124 of your users manual) to be Inputs 1-4. Once you choose an input to use, label it “TV Audio” and understand that it cannot be used for anything else except receiving audio from the TV.

Make sure that “Auto Powe Sync” is disabled in the “Simplink” HDMI-CEC setting on your LG TV and that CEC is also disabled in all of your source devices.

If you still see “wonky” or unprompted switching occurrences on your receiver, it could be related to the inability of CEC to be fully disabled on a source device and its prompting of the receiver to switch to its input. The Apple TV, for example, is notorious for doing this. In this case, it would be beneficial to install a Lindy CEC-less HDMI adapter between that source and the receiver. That adapter totally removes CEC from that device by disabling the HDMI pin that carries CEC.

Lastly, your receiver may want to default to the ARC input whenever it is turned on. If this is the case, you can add an additional command at the end of your Harmony “Activity” setup to switch to the correct input used for that particular activity. Of course, you’ll have to do this for each activity.

So, yes, it may be a much simpler solution to forget about ARC altogether and install an optical cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4222 Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
On my LG OLED B7 you must enable CEC to use ARC. Maybe that has changed on the C8. But on my Denon AVR I don't need CEC enabled at all so I leave it off. I also use a Harmony remote and have no trouble with it strangely switching inputs or using ARC when streaming from TV to AVR.

That also could be a difference between the way Denon and Yamahas operate.

Afro GT
post #4203 of 4222 Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
On my LG OLED B7 you must enable CEC to use ARC. Maybe that has changed on the C8. But on my Denon AVR I don't need CEC enabled at all so I leave it off. I also use a Harmony remote and have no trouble with it strangely switching inputs or using ARC when streaming from TV to AVR.

That also could be a difference between the way Denon and Yamahas operate.
Traditional HDMI ARC requires CEC to be enabled on both devices (TV and receiver). Your Denon is like my Marantz whereas CEC “is” enabled (by default) which allows ARC to function, but all CEC related HDMI controls are “off” by default.

CEC commands still freely flow through my Marantz even though HDMI ARC is the only option enabled. That is why my Apple TV 4K would prompt the AVP to switch to its input. The only way to eliminate this was to add a Lindy CEC-less adaptor at the ATV4K’s HDMI output. Problem solved.

The problem with CEC is that not every manufacturer implements it the same way and none seems to make the user interface options “granular” enough. In the case of LG, there are only two options. “Simplink” (CEC) on/off and “Power Sync” on/off (if Simplink is enabled). With Simplink enabled, ARC will function.

Luckily for you and I, D&M seems to be able to get ARC to work well with very few annoying byproducts. But for others, a traditional optical cable may be a better solution when only ARC functions are desired. That may end up being the case with the Yamaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 4222 Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post
Hi,

I have a LG 65OLEDC8 and a Yamaha RX-A3030 where I have activated HDMI ARC to get sound from the Smart-TV to the Receiver. The problem is that the control part of ARC is messing up my Logitech Harmony schema, it changes the input on the Receiver in a strange way.

I have looked for a setting to turn off only the control part in ARC but there is only one setting in each of the producut for HDMI ARC(ON/OFF)?

Do I have to use optic input from the TV instead or have I missed a setting?
Yep, you may have to. In some equipment, HDMI-ARC cannot be enabled without also enabling HDMI-CEC. Your manual may indicate this, or if in the settings you find you cannot enable ARC until "HDMI Control" is also on. :-\

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #4205 of 4222 Old 01-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-A2030 set-up questions

Hi all I'm new here but I have a question regarding my receiver in the tittle. I've had this since amp new and been playing around with it all day as I just finish building my new cinema/gaming room so I decided after all these years to make this amp perform to it's price tag of when I first got it.

I'm set up in 5.1 with B&W 803D , Wharfedale diamond 220 book shelf and 700W dynamo 10 inch Martin Logan sub. I will be adding 2.1 down the road probably same sub and same bookshelf speakers if all is still available.

All is set up as small 80Hz and the sub is at normal LFE plugged.

My question is do you have links on how to set up the receiver to be able to optimize this kind of set up?
I love gaming, movies and music but I don't have the knowledge to set up sound and don't understand what hertz and other stuff of that nature are. So I basically set up my stuff by ear as I like it better then using the Ypao mic.

I'm having problems making the Wharfedale rears sound present it feels like everything else cancels them out and this shouldn't be as the Wharfedale 220's are a high end bookshelf speakers. When I bought them they sounded very good in the store but at home it feels like I don't have the right options selected on the yamaha amp. I did not bridge them as nothing else is. I'm using banana plugs for everything. Not sure if bridging them will change anything so I'm not tempting it besides I don't know how to do it...lol.

I'm sure many of you will laugh at my questions but I'm an engine guy and race bikes for a living so the technical sound stuff is beyond me I just love having a good kit so entertaining me on my down time.

I can't seem to find any info on youtube for this amp (yes it is old by todays standards but it still is very good amp I think)

If anyone has any info video's or any links to help me out that would be very much appreciated. What I don't need is to be told NOOB or google this and that as I have been doing that for a couple years now. Yes I also thought about getting someone do it all for me but then I wouldn't learn anything and besides I live way to far for a tech to come without charging me double or triple the fee.

Thanks all

PS I tried searching here but nothing came up on this series amp

John
post #4206 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can the rx-a2030 do dolby atmos and dts:x after the firmware upgrade of v1.93?
post #4207 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Awesome View Post
Can the rx-a2030 do dolby atmos and dts:x after the firmware upgrade of v1.93?
Short answer is, No....

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #4208 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi615 View Post
Hi all I'm new here but I have a question regarding my receiver in the tittle. I've had this since amp new and been playing around with it all day as I just finish building my new cinema/gaming room so I decided after all these years to make this amp perform to it's price tag of when I first got it.

I'm set up in 5.1 with B&W 803D , Wharfedale diamond 220 book shelf and 700W dynamo 10 inch Martin Logan sub. I will be adding 2.1 down the road probably same sub and same bookshelf speakers if all is still available.

All is set up as small 80Hz and the sub is at normal LFE plugged.

My question is do you have links on how to set up the receiver to be able to optimize this kind of set up?
I love gaming, movies and music but I don't have the knowledge to set up sound and don't understand what hertz and other stuff of that nature are. So I basically set up my stuff by ear as I like it better then using the Ypao mic.

I'm having problems making the Wharfedale rears sound present it feels like everything else cancels them out and this shouldn't be as the Wharfedale 220's are a high end bookshelf speakers. When I bought them they sounded very good in the store but at home it feels like I don't have the right options selected on the yamaha amp. I did not bridge them as nothing else is. I'm using banana plugs for everything. Not sure if bridging them will change anything so I'm not tempting it besides I don't know how to do it...lol.

I'm sure many of you will laugh at my questions but I'm an engine guy and race bikes for a living so the technical sound stuff is beyond me I just love having a good kit so entertaining me on my down time.

I can't seem to find any info on youtube for this amp (yes it is old by todays standards but it still is very good amp I think)

If anyone has any info video's or any links to help me out that would be very much appreciated. What I don't need is to be told NOOB or google this and that as I have been doing that for a couple years now. Yes I also thought about getting someone do it all for me but then I wouldn't learn anything and besides I live way to far for a tech to come without charging me double or triple the fee.

Thanks all

PS I tried searching here but nothing came up on this series amp

John
First: If you're concerned that the two surround speakers are being canceled out by the other channels, make sure that they are not wired out of phase. If you're using banana plugs, it should be a simple task to reverse the phase of each of your surround speakers by unplugging its plugs and swapping them.

Second: If you're running a 5.1 system, your surround speakers should be to your left and right, not behind you. Forget the misleading diagrams in equipment manuals that show channels 4 and 5 behind you - they're wrong. Think of all the speakers marching down the side walls in a movie theater - they're playing channels 4 and 5. Rear speakers come into play in a 7.1 system - they are speakers 6 and 7. Putting channels 4 and 5 behind you also runs into the next issue I discuss - speakers behind you are hard to hear.

Third: Our heads have a directional funnel of flesh surrounding each ear, called a "pinna," that focuses the ear's sensitivity forwards and to the side, and forces sound from the rear to filter through a fairly thick layer of flesh. When you do add rear speakers in a 7.1 configuration, YPAO (and other room correction systems like Audessy) will set those speakers to be too quiet, because the microphones they all use are omnidirectional, or emulate omnidirectionality by facing the ceiling. Not behaving like our ears, they set the rear speakers to be too quiet. I always follow the automatic setup by going into the manual tweak portion of the setup and travel the test tone around the room, giving just enough of a boost to the rear channels to make them sound as loud as the others while I'm sitting facing the screen.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-15-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #4209 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Short answer is, No....
Why not? I thought it did. Please elaborate.
post #4210 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Atmos & DTSX support only came in later models; not RXA-*030.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4211 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Because. Read the product info page. The 2030 appears to be a 2013 AVR, last firmware update was 2017.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #4212 of 4222 Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Atmos is in only 40 series and higher.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #4213 of 4222 Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hey guys,
Looking to finally jump into 4K (LG OLEDB8 65"). Anyway, I know the CX-A5000 can do 4k passthrough, what does that mean exactly? No HDR right? Would it be best to to use my Firestick 4k directly into the LG then use ARC back to the yamaha? If so , does ARC provide the newest codecs (DTS-MA & True-HD)?

I also bought the Vero 4k+ box for my ISO blu ray rips I play through Kodi. Wondering if I also have to connect this directly to the TV and use ARC again?

I know its easier to just by a CX-A5100 but I am not sure I want to swing it yet
post #4214 of 4222 Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have an answer about my question above? I now know using ARC wont provide the full lossless codecs back to the Yamaha (so thats out of the question). But, how does the 4k Passthrough feature work? If my UHD blu ray rips are not encrypted, will it pass through the yamaha ok? I use Kodi to play MKV files from my UHD blu ray rips from DVDFab.
post #4215 of 4222 Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
With the 5000 I would do the ARC or get a hd fury hdmi, audio splitter like the AVR key. No HDR without these 2 options trust me was doing one then the other until I finally upgraded from the 3030 to 3070, so much easier now with onscreen display which I'm still getting used to been to long.

Spoiler!
post #4216 of 4222 Old 02-20-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn’t arc limit things to 2ch playback? For the cost of those HDMI devices, I think I’m better off as you said just upgrading my preamp.....unfortunately
post #4217 of 4222 Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Doesn’t arc limit things to 2ch playback?
HDMI-ARC, like SPDIF, is limited to compressed multichannel (typically Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus), or PCM 2.0. Some may pass DTS multichannel.

post #4218 of 4222 Old 02-20-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
HDMI-ARC, like SPDIF, is limited to compressed multichannel (typically Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus), or PCM 2.0. Some may pass DTS multichannel.
Good to know!
post #4219 of 4222 Old 05-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you're looking for ARC and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X then you'll need devices with HDMI 2.1 support (good luck finding that chain today) or devices advertised to support eARC which is a feature of the 2.1 spec. Manufactures need not support all features and can still slap labels on their equipment as 2.1.

You can plug your 4K HDR device into the TV for video and use the secondary HDMI port (not many have that) of that 4K HDR device into the receiver for hi-res audio and wait it out until equipment catches up with standards.
post #4220 of 4222 Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
If you're looking for ARC and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X then you'll need devices with HDMI 2.1 support (good luck finding that chain today) or devices advertised to support eARC which is a feature of the 2.1 spec. Manufactures need not support all features and can still slap labels on their equipment as 2.1....
Atmos encoded information can and is passed by Dolby Digital Plus through current HDMI-ARC. Just need an AVR that can decode DD+.

post #4221 of 4222 Old 07-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Did firmware update add HDCP 2.2 support?

I own the RX-A3030, and am trying to find the answer to a question (after extensive searching):

Has there been a firmware update for the RX-A3030 that makes it compatible with HDCP 2.2?

I know that initially the receiver was released without HDCP support, but I am wondering if a subsequent firmware update added such compatibility? I noticed that some websites list it as supporting HDCP 2.2, which is making me curious as to whether it was added. See this listing, for example:

www(dot)zkelectronics(dot)com/receiver/yamaha-rx-a3030/u.s.a./

Also, I am unable to find any notes or descriptions of the various firmware updates released by Yamaha. Is there a place online to read what each firmware update was intended to do?

Thanks for your help.
post #4222 of 4222 Old 08-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 85
A1020 9.2?

Hello.

Just bought an Aventage A1020 in mint condition to power my 2.2 stereo setup. Amps are very good and so is the DAC, pretty happy with my purchase for only $150 shipped.

Read the manual and you can actually add an external amp for 2 extra channels. But is it a real 9.2 device or is it just for comfort and only 7 channels can play at once? I don´t care for Zone 2 or 3 or whatever.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page