The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2892Likes

post #4951 of 5189 Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24561 Post(s)
Liked: 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbf1138 View Post
If I have this hooked up via ARC to my new LG C7, is there a way to make the tv speaker the center channel (for dialogue) and still use the rest of my 2.1 setup?
Yeh .. it's called a sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5189 Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR5008 -Update corrupt?

Hello. I did an update recently for my Marantz SR5008 and now the picture is wavy and very yellow. I checked the cable to TV by bypassing the receiver and it is fine. My assumption is the update was corrupt and didn't complete properly. However when I try to rerun the update it says I have the latest version. I have tried a factory full reset and it did nothing. I have also tried a USB update and it gives me the same message that my update is "latest". Any suggestions for a way around this? The receiver is just over 4 years old.
post #4953 of 5189 Old 04-16-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmed33 View Post
Hello. I did an update recently for my Marantz SR5008 and now the picture is wavy and very yellow. I checked the cable to TV by bypassing the receiver and it is fine. My assumption is the update was corrupt and didn't complete properly. However when I try to rerun the update it says I have the latest version. I have tried a factory full reset and it did nothing. I have also tried a USB update and it gives me the same message that my update is "latest". Any suggestions for a way around this? The receiver is just over 4 years old.
Try using a different HDMI cable. Doesn't matter if it works fine when bypassing the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 5189 Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Help - Strange HDMI behavior on Marantz SR7008

Hello all. I have a Marantz SR7008, paired with a Samsung 65HU8500. I've had this set up for a few years with no issues.

Recently, I stopped getting an HDMI signal to the TV from the receiver. I tried a new cable, no luck. This is where it gets strange. If I plug the source side of the HDMI cable directly into a blu ray player, the image shows up on the TV. Ok, so cable is good (and I tried two) so I think it is a bad HDMI card in the Marantz. Not so fast. If I plug the other end of the HDMI cable into a different TV, the Marantz screen comes right up.

So, I seem to have eliminated the cable, the Marantz, and the TV as culprits... but obviously this can't be true. Any thoughts? It's like all of a sudden the Marantz can't handshake with my Samsung... I'm baffled.

I have reset the Marantz multiple times, but that doesn't seem to be the problem either since I get a display on a different TV.

Samsung, Marantz, MartinLogan
post #4955 of 5189 Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
Hello all. I have a Marantz SR7008, paired with a Samsung 65HU8500. I've had this set up for a few years with no issues.

Recently, I stopped getting an HDMI signal to the TV from the receiver. I tried a new cable, no luck. This is where it gets strange. If I plug the source side of the HDMI cable directly into a blu ray player, the image shows up on the TV. Ok, so cable is good (and I tried two) so I think it is a bad HDMI card in the Marantz. Not so fast. If I plug the other end of the HDMI cable into a different TV, the Marantz screen comes right up.

So, I seem to have eliminated the cable, the Marantz, and the TV as culprits... but obviously this can't be true. Any thoughts? It's like all of a sudden the Marantz can't handshake with my Samsung... I'm baffled.

I have reset the Marantz multiple times, but that doesn't seem to be the problem either since I get a display on a different TV.
Please post your questions in the official thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html

However, the first thing to try is a "soft reset:" unplug all of the devices from wall power for about 10 minutes (giving their power supply filter capacitors plenty of time to discharge). Then power up the TV, wait for it to boot, then power up the receiver, wait, then (if appropriate) the player device. This often will resolve strange quirks without having to do a full return-to-factory-settings reset.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4956 of 5189 Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Just because the source can pass directly to the TV does not rule out the HDMI cable. Purchase some new cables.
post #4957 of 5189 Old 04-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Just because the source can pass directly to the TV does not rule out the HDMI cable. Purchase some new cables.
Guess I wasn't clear in my first post, I did try a new HDMI cable. Got the same result.

Also did several "soft resets"... left it unplugged overnight... prior to doing the hard resets.

Samsung, Marantz, MartinLogan
post #4958 of 5189 Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Guess I wasn't clear in my first post, I did try a new HDMI cable. Got the same result.

Also did several "soft resets"... left it unplugged overnight... prior to doing the hard resets.
You tried "another" HDMI cable or "purchased" a new cable?

After doing another "soft reset" which would include powering off all devices and unplugging the HDMI and power cables for 10 minutes, plug all back in and power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source device.
post #4959 of 5189 Old 04-22-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SR7008 - Shuts Off

I have a refurbished SR7008, and have had it a couple years. Almost from the start I have had times where it will click and shut off. Seems like a circuit protection thing. (Of course, I really have no idea).

I was going to ship it down to have it checked out, but it is very infrequent, so if it doesn't happen while at the shop, they won't know what to fix.

It's actually been a few months since it has happened, but today it did it, I turned it off, and back on, and it happened 4 times. I've had same results after an unplug and even a hard reset where I had to go through setup again.

Any thoughts?
post #4960 of 5189 Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
I have a refurbished SR7008, and have had it a couple years. Almost from the start I have had times where it will click and shut off. Seems like a circuit protection thing. (Of course, I really have no idea).

I was going to ship it down to have it checked out, but it is very infrequent, so if it doesn't happen while at the shop, they won't know what to fix.

It's actually been a few months since it has happened, but today it did it, I turned it off, and back on, and it happened 4 times. I've had same results after an unplug and even a hard reset where I had to go through setup again.

Any thoughts?
When it shuts down, the power light will blink:

Fast blink (2x/sec) - loose speaker wire from one post touching another post; running 4-ohm speakers too loud; amp failure
Slow blink (1x/2 sec) - poor ventilation
post #4961 of 5189 Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Quote:

Fast blink (2x/sec) - loose speaker wire from one post touching another post; running 4-ohm speakers too loud; amp failure

With mine it was heat, and I found out you really had to wait several minutes before turning it back on. I got an AC Infinity fan and mine has not shut off now for over a year.

An HDMI cable not fully plugged in will also shut it down.

Music, more music.
post #4962 of 5189 Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a SR6008 hooked up to my new LG B7. I also have my PS4 connected directly to the TV (as the 6008 doesnt do 4k HDR). Some questions about how I should be configuring my sound setup. I have 2.1 setup.

I typically just hit the "Game" button on the Marantz, and I have the PS4 set to Dolby Bitstream audio out. Is this correct? Should it be Linear PCM, instead? Any other toggles on the receiver or PS4 I should be making for proper audio?
post #4963 of 5189 Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I have a SR6008 hooked up to my new LG B7. I also have my PS4 connected directly to the TV (as the 6008 doesnt do 4k HDR). Some questions about how I should be configuring my sound setup. I have 2.1 setup.

I typically just hit the "Game" button on the Marantz, and I have the PS4 set to Dolby Bitstream audio out. Is this correct? Should it be Linear PCM, instead? Any other toggles on the receiver or PS4 I should be making for proper audio?
With a 2.1. setup, it likely doesn't matter whether PCM or bitstream.
post #4964 of 5189 Old 04-25-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'll check for the light flash. Hasn't quite since I posted. May not for months. But typically when it does, it does it multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
With mine it was heat, and I found out you really had to wait several minutes before turning it back on. I got an AC Infinity fan and mine has not shut off now for over a year.

An HDMI cable not fully plugged in will also shut it down.
I don't think it's heat. Some times it does it when first turned on and no time for heat to have built up. Also, I do have a cooler that sits on top, and pulls air up through, and sends it out the back of the cooler.

With regard to loose wires crossing to other terminals, I use connectors that should keep that from happening. I believe I have checked that...but it's been a while. May need to do that again.

I hope to see what happens with the light flashing when it happens again.

I appreciate the input. If I find the problem, I'll post back what I found.
post #4965 of 5189 Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I'll check for the light flash. Hasn't quite since I posted. May not for months. But typically when it does, it does it multiple times.

I don't think it's heat. Some times it does it when first turned on and no time for heat to have built up. Also, I do have a cooler that sits on top, and pulls air up through, and sends it out the back of the cooler.

With regard to loose wires crossing to other terminals, I use connectors that should keep that from happening. I believe I have checked that...but it's been a while. May need to do that again.

I hope to see what happens with the light flashing when it happens again.

I appreciate the input. If I find the problem, I'll post back what I found.
Indeed. Well worth your time to do so.
post #4966 of 5189 Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you can't stand the heat....get a cooling fan

Quote:
I don't think it's heat. Some times it does it when first turned on and no time for heat to have built up. .
I think it is the heat. I had this problem intermittently until I installed a cooling fan. The problem went away.
There can, of course, be other reasons, but these are susceptible to overheating.

====
MRX1120, Oppo 203, LG & Samsung HDR, XboneS, Xfinity X1, Harmony
post #4967 of 5189 Old 04-30-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I noted I do have a cooling fan on the unit. The unit has been on for a couple hours now and the case doesn't even feel warm.

The other thing is that sometimes it happens almost instantly after turning on, with no time elapsed for it to get hot.
post #4968 of 5189 Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an interesting update.

It hadn't soaked in about this, but this is happening particularity when I try to use NET, for example tho pay Pandora. O just did that and it almost immediately went into the error mode.

Admittedly, the unit had been on for a couple hours so hear could build up.

But here's another tidbit: volume to drive sounds from the TV is up pretty high compared to what it needs to be for Pandora. For example my default setting when turn on is 56, but Pandora of more comfortable at 35.

The light was a fast flash, which pet my first reply would be a speaker wire frayed wasn't touching the opposite post (unless I misunderstood).

As seen in my attached picture I ask using connectors, no wires are protruding to cross over.

But that brings another question: it's entirely possible that despite my trying to be sure I didn't that on one of the speakers I crossed the wires, that is, put the red to the black and the black to the red. Could that cause this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180430_115558_1525104388012.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2397340  
post #4969 of 5189 Old 05-04-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm wanting to modify the tone, up the treble, to improve understanding of dialog. I fine that tone is always greyed out in the audio section of setup.

Any thought on how I can resolve this?
post #4970 of 5189 Old 05-05-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I'm wanting to modify the tone, up the treble, to improve understanding of dialog. I fine that tone is always greyed out in the audio section of setup.

Any thought on how I can resolve this?
The tone controls should be available if you turn off DynEq.

Selden

post #4971 of 5189 Old 05-05-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The tone controls should be available if you turn off DynEq.
Sorry, I'm dense on this.

I am assuming that DynEQ would be set in Audyssey settings (I certainly may be wrong). I find that is greyed out also. IN fact, Tone, M-DAX, Audyssey, and Graphic EQ are all greyed out under Audio.

Searching the manual doesn't even find the term DynEQ

Do I need to re-setup Audyssey?

NVM...I just found that it was not Dolby. I turned that mode on and now see Audyssey.

Last edited by Ewingr; 05-05-2018 at 07:12 AM.
post #4972 of 5189 Old 05-05-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm...I just looked some on an app on my phone. I found under the option "Levels" was Dynamic EQ. I turned it off.

It may have not worked...as I still cannot change treble.

I just read an article on Cnet about improving dialog in 5.1, and it suggested increasing the center channel volume, so I'm trying that for now.
post #4973 of 5189 Old 05-05-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I am assuming that DynEQ would be set in Audyssey settings (I certainly may be wrong). I find that is greyed out also. IN fact, Tone, M-DAX, Audyssey, and Graphic EQ are all greyed out under Audio.

Sorry, I should have spelled it out more. That's an abbreviation for Audyssey's feature Dynamic EQ which is often used here on AVS.

Quote:
Yes, that's what's implied by it being greyed out. Redoing the calibration should enable all of Audyssey's features. By default it'll enable Dynamic EQ, which is Audyssey's equivalent of the olden "Loudness" control. It boosts the relative bass and treble levels as you turn down the volume.

A frequent cause of Audyssey being disabled is changing the Amp Assign setting after you've run a calibration. Changing a speaker's crossover frequency or its trim level won't disable it. You can also disable and later re-enable speakers manually.

Selden

post #4974 of 5189 Old 05-05-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:

NVM...I just found that it was not Dolby. I turned that mode on and now see Audyssey.
With Audyssey Dynamic EQ disabled, using the remote you would select SETUP - AUDIO - TONE - TONE CONTROLS - BASS/TREBLE.

Note you can also improve center channel dialog by ensuring your center speaker is angled up towards your head and not facing your knees (if on a lower shelf below the display). You can also set Audyssey Dynamic Volume (Medium) as well.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.
post #4975 of 5189 Old 05-06-2018, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz sr5008 No video is shown on the TV

Been working fine for 4 1/2 years now and all of the sudden "No video is shown on the TV". I tried switching HDMI cables-no effect.
I tried switching HDMI inputs on the tv: Hdmi3 to hdmi1- no effect.

IF I power the sr5008 off then on again it works.

Any suggestions? There is only one HDMI out on the sr5008???
post #4976 of 5189 Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 PM

So it’s been a few years since I last messed with settings on my SR6008. We got a new media console and had to move some things around so I’m going back to square one with my setup.

Right now it’s just a left and right pair of JBL Studio 530 (larger than) “bookshelf” speakers and an SVS SB12 subwoofer. The 6008 is connected to those and then it’s just my TV ARC for video.

I re-did Audessey and remember the fun of confusion on the results and where, what, how I should tweak to get things right. I had to manually set the speaker size to small, the crossover to 80, and then raise the calibrated subwoofer measurement of -12.0db to something more like -5.0.

I’m so completely overwhelmed again by the wealth of options and settings.

My main use cases are using them for the tv (games, movies, etc. via the HDMI) and then for music via Airplay on an Apple TV 4K.

Are there any specific settings or adjustments that are good rules of thumb I’m forgetting or have been discovered in the last three years with this receiver? I’d like it to better manage the range of loud noises and then normal to low dialogue in movies and games. This has always been tricky and I’m wondering if I’m missing some settings that would help here?

As for sound “modes,” I set it to Music (Stereo) for Airplay stuff, and then Movies or Games, also Stereo for that stuff. Is there any reason I’d use Pure or Pure Direct? It gets rid of the subwoofer entirely in those modes, so is it for like stereo “purists?” or am I misunderstanding that mode?

Subwoofer mode is LFE (I have it disabled in the subwoofer, per it’s instruction manual), should that be changed? LPF is at 80 Hz. Phase is at 0, on the subwoofer itself.

Crossovers are set to Speaker Selection All and 80hz.

Have never touched Amp Assign...anything there I should mess with?

Under Audio, all options are disabled aside from Audio Delay, Volume and Audessy. Is that cause I’m using Audessey?

Lastly, is there any way for the volume level indicator to show up when I’m watching video that’s not connected directly into the receiver? For example, since all of my video sources are directly into the TV, when I adjust the volume it changes on the receiver display but not on the tv screen, which is kind of a bummer as my tv just shows whether I’m pressing volume up or down, with no number to indicate where I am on the spectrum. It seems like all Marantz overlays are gone unless I specifically change the tv input to the receiver itself. Am I missing something here or is that just how this stuff works, lol?

I guess let’s start there and I’ll be back with more questions as I fumble around settings on this thing. Thanks in advance!
post #4977 of 5189 Old 05-13-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
So it’s been a few years since I last messed with settings on my SR6008. We got a new media console and had to move some things around so I’m going back to square one with my setup.

Right now it’s just a left and right pair of JBL Studio 530 (larger than) “bookshelf” speakers and an SVS SB12 subwoofer. The 6008 is connected to those and then it’s just my TV ARC for video.

I re-did Audessey and remember the fun of confusion on the results and where, what, how I should tweak to get things right. I had to manually set the speaker size to small, the crossover to 80, and then raise the calibrated subwoofer measurement of -12.0db to something more like -5.0.

My main use cases are using them for the tv (games, movies, etc. via the HDMI) and then for music via Airplay on an Apple TV 4K.

Are there any specific settings or adjustments that are good rules of thumb I’m forgetting or have been discovered in the last three years with this receiver? I’d like it to better manage the range of loud noises and then normal to low dialogue in movies and games. This has always been tricky and I’m wondering if I’m missing some settings that would help here?

As for sound “modes,” I set it to Music (Stereo) for Airplay stuff, and then Movies or Games, also Stereo for that stuff. Is there any reason I’d use Pure or Pure Direct? It gets rid of the subwoofer entirely in those modes, so is it for like stereo “purists?” or am I misunderstanding that mode?

Subwoofer mode is LFE (I have it disabled in the subwoofer, per it’s instruction manual), should that be changed? LPF is at 80 Hz. Phase is at 0, on the subwoofer itself.

Under Audio, all options are disabled aside from Audio Delay, Volume and Audessy. Is that cause I’m using Audessey?

Lastly, is there any way for the volume level indicator to show up when I’m watching video that’s not connected directly into the receiver? For example, since all of my video sources are directly into the TV, when I adjust the volume it changes on the receiver display but not on the tv screen, which is kind of a bummer as my tv just shows whether I’m pressing volume up or down, with no number to indicate where I am on the spectrum. It seems like all Marantz overlays are gone unless I specifically change the tv input to the receiver itself. Am I missing something here or is that just how this stuff works, lol?

I guess let’s start there and I’ll be back with more questions as I fumble around settings on this thing. Thanks in advance!
1. Although written before your SR6008 was released, you would be well served reviewing the Audyssey FAQ thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
2. The GUI/OSD cannot display unless the source video is passing through the AVR.
post #4978 of 5189 Old 05-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:

1. Although written before your SR6008 was released, you would be well served reviewing the Audyssey FAQ thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
2. The GUI/OSD cannot display unless the source video is passing through the AVR.
First off, you’ve helped me many times in this thread, so thank you so much! That guide is helpful and I’ll have to dig in soon.

Maybe you’ll have some thoughts or an opinion on this: generally, I feel at lower to medium volumes my stereo pair of Sonos Play:1s in my bedroom sound better than my JBLs with subwoofer and AVR. Is this a symptom of anything in particular? Just my ears? Speaker impedance or something like that?
post #4979 of 5189 Old 05-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
First off, you’ve helped me many times in this thread, so thank you so much! That guide is helpful and I’ll have to dig in soon.

Maybe you’ll have some thoughts or an opinion on this: generally, I feel at lower to medium volumes my stereo pair of Sonos Play:1s in my bedroom sound better than my JBLs with subwoofer and AVR. Is this a symptom of anything in particular? Just my ears? Speaker impedance or something like that?
Don't forget that room acoustics have a large effect on the quality of the sound you hear. Some types of reflections can cause serious distortions, for example.

Selden

post #4980 of 5189 Old 05-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:

What Selden said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio , avr , bass management , bluray , crossover , Marantz , Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr6008 , Marantz Sr7008 , network , passhtough , passthrough , question , SR6008 , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page