The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2888Likes

post #5101 of 5119 Old 08-31-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Spotify was removed from all pre-HEOS models last year via a firmware update. Use Spotify Connect from your phone/tablet.
Can anyone confirm that spotify connect works on the SR7008 with the latest firmware? I am looking at buying a used one just to run some outdoor equipment, but I need two zones and spotify connect is needed.
Thanks, David

Emotiva RMC-1
Mirage OMD C-2 Center;Mirage OMD-28 Mains;Mirage OMD-5 Surrounds
Mirage OMD-R Rears;Mono-Price 8" Alpha in Ceiling X4;Dual PSA S1510DF Subs
Sony VPL-VW385ES
Emotiva XPA DR-2 (Mains);XPA-9 (5.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5119 Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
FYI,
I did buy a used SR7008 and after firmware update Spotify Connect works very well when connected to my home network.

Emotiva RMC-1
Mirage OMD C-2 Center;Mirage OMD-28 Mains;Mirage OMD-5 Surrounds
Mirage OMD-R Rears;Mono-Price 8" Alpha in Ceiling X4;Dual PSA S1510DF Subs
Sony VPL-VW385ES
Emotiva XPA DR-2 (Mains);XPA-9 (5.4)
post #5103 of 5119 Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR6008 front right channel issue

Hello. Hoping someone can provide me some guidance to avoid a trip to a repair shop. I have a Marantz SR6008, bought new in 2014. Its front right channel is presenting a couple of issues: low volume and distorted sound. I am sure it’s the A/V because I switched the front speakers and the issue moved to the front left speaker - front right functioning as it should. I tried hard reset multiple times and cutting power as well. Did not work. There is no sign of rust or corrosion anywhere. The unit looks like new. I opened the unit, but given my complete lack of experience with A/V decided not to disassemble it.

Besides the front right channel, everything else works like a charm.

Any suggestion on what could be the problem and potential solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 5119 Old 09-20-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22769 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo Vidal View Post
Hello. Hoping someone can provide me some guidance to avoid a trip to a repair shop. I have a Marantz SR6008, bought new in 2014. Its front right channel is presenting a couple of issues: low volume and distorted sound. I am sure it’s the A/V because I switched the front speakers and the issue moved to the front left speaker - front right functioning as it should. I tried hard reset multiple times and cutting power as well. Did not work. There is no sign of rust or corrosion anywhere. The unit looks like new. I opened the unit, but given my complete lack of experience with A/V decided not to disassemble it.

Besides the front right channel, everything else works like a charm.

Any suggestion on what could be the problem and potential solution?
Possibly amp failure. Repair shop.
post #5105 of 5119 Old 09-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Marantz SR6008 issue

My Marantz 6008 shows the display but apart from that it has stopped working. I have my Oppo BDP plugged into it and nothing is showing up on TV. Same for the cable tv box...I have HTBP via Naim UnitiStar but nothing is working. I checked all the HDMI cables and they are working fine.

Options button when pressed on Marantz remote, shows nothing. I can toggle between different inputs like CBL/SAT, BlueRay, AUX etc. but nothing shows up on TV. For the sound mode, it's only picking stereo and if I press MDAX, it shows not available.

Pls help.

Dynaudio Focus 260 | Focus 210C | Naim UnitStar | Marantz 6008 | Oppo- 93 BDP | Naim NACA5 Speaker Cables | Audioquest RCA Cables | Ansuz Mainz D8 Diamond
post #5106 of 5119 Old 09-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Marantz SR6008 issue

My Marantz 6008 shows the display but apart from that it has stopped working. I have my Oppo BDP plugged into it and nothing is showing up on TV. Same for the cable tv box...I have HTBP via Naim UnitiStar but nothing is working. I checked all the HDMI cables and they are working fine.

Options button when pressed on Marantz remote, shows nothing. I can toggle between different inputs like CBL/SAT, BlueRay, AUX etc. but nothing shows up on TV. For the sound mode, it's only picking stereo and if I press MDAX, it shows not available.

Pls help.
First troubleshooting step would be doing a "soft reset" by simply powering off every device and AVR and unplugging their respective power and HDMI cables for 10 minutes. Plug all back in and power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source. If no joy, then refer to your Owner's manual and do a microprocessor reset.

If still no joy, then repair or replace with a more current model that can pass 4k.
post #5107 of 5119 Old 09-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Marantz SR6008 issue

Pls help.
Does anything work that does not go thru the HDMI? like radio FM or network web radio?

Music, more music.
post #5108 of 5119 Old 09-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
Does anything work that does not go thru the HDMI? like radio FM or network web radio?
Radio is not working. It keeps on flashing "Connect Wait..."

Dynaudio Focus 260 | Focus 210C | Naim UnitStar | Marantz 6008 | Oppo- 93 BDP | Naim NACA5 Speaker Cables | Audioquest RCA Cables | Ansuz Mainz D8 Diamond
post #5109 of 5119 Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Possibly amp failure. Repair shop.
Hello jdsmoothie (and others here willing to provide advice)

I took the receiver to a repair shop a couple of weeks ago... today they told me that they need to replace 15 transistors. Parts would cost $105 (according to them the transistors would be bought from Marantz) and $250 for labor, totalizing $350 to fix it. Sounds like quite a bit of money on transistors and quite a bit of labor to replace them, but I do not have experience to really assess that. Can anyone provide some guidance here? Does the fix price seem right or not?

Thanks!
post #5110 of 5119 Old 10-10-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo Vidal View Post
Hello jdsmoothie (and others here willing to provide advice)

I took the receiver to a repair shop a couple of weeks ago... today they told me that they need to replace 15 transistors. Parts would cost $105 (according to them the transistors would be bought from Marantz) and $250 for labor, totalizing $350 to fix it. Sounds like quite a bit of money on transistors and quite a bit of labor to replace them, but I do not have experience to really assess that. Can anyone provide some guidance here? Does the fix price seem right or not?

Thanks!
No comment on repair cost; however, considering a used SR6008 can be purchased for not much more than that, you would be better served putting that $350 towards a more current model with XT32 and newer features (eg. 4k).

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-10-2019 at 02:08 AM.
post #5111 of 5119 Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Thanks JD - I think the light was blinking more like once a second and it's just weird to me because it's only happened twice.

I'll start checking out the items you mentioned though
Was there a solution/reason for this? Happened to me as well.
Thanks.
post #5112 of 5119 Old 10-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
I have a refurbished SR7008, and have had it a couple years. Almost from the start I have had times where it will click and shut off. Seems like a circuit protection thing. (Of course, I really have no idea).

I was going to ship it down to have it checked out, but it is very infrequent, so if it doesn't happen while at the shop, they won't know what to fix.

It's actually been a few months since it has happened, but today it did it, I turned it off, and back on, and it happened 4 times. I've had same results after an unplug and even a hard reset where I had to go through setup again.

Any thoughts?
Any luck figuring this out? My 7008 is doing same thing. Appreciate it.

Marantz SR-7008, Pioneer DV-578A, Technics SL-DD2, Polk RTi-A5's, RTi-A1’s, CSi-A4, PSW110.
post #5113 of 5119 Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank123 View Post
Any luck figuring this out? My 7008 is doing same thing. Appreciate it.
No. It still does it, but not often.
post #5114 of 5119 Old 10-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
OK thanks. Mine won’t stay on longer than 10 seconds. If I get it fixed I’ll let you know.

Marantz SR-7008, Pioneer DV-578A, Technics SL-DD2, Polk RTi-A5's, RTi-A1’s, CSi-A4, PSW110.
post #5115 of 5119 Old 10-18-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
OK thanks. Mine won’️t stay on longer than 10 seconds. If I get it fixed I’️ll let you know.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Good luck.
post #5116 of 5119 Old 10-20-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favian View Post
I appreciate your help. I figured out the manual was wrong with the biamp hook up drawing. The diagram onscreen showed different and that solved that issue.
I found out the same when I was wiring my 5.1 bi-amp + zone 2. Manual diagram is wrong, on-screen diagram is correct.

post #5117 of 5119 Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
OK thanks. Mine won’t stay on longer than 10 seconds. If I get it fixed I’ll let you know.
One thing I have found out with the 7008 is if it does shut down, and it seems there are a lot of things that can cause it to shut down, is I must wait at least 5 minutes or more to start it again, if not it will go right back out. This is of course if the shut down was caused by something not physical like a loose speaker connection.
Mine will even shut down if someone turns it off and I come in a turn it back on too soon, What is too soon? Even 15 minutes.

After several years of use, other times it has shut down on me:
When I turned on the TV and the 7008 at the same time.
When I plugged it into a new UPS.
When I turned it on before the computer hooked to it had booted up and that device was selected.
When I turned it on too fast after an update software.
When I plugged in a new subwoofer (nothing was wrong,) I just had to wait a few minutes more for some reason.
I can't even remember all the times it shut down. But each time I have to wait at least 5 10 minutes.
I now go ahead and unplug it each time.
I love the unit despite of this.

Music, more music.
post #5118 of 5119 Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
One thing I have found out with the 7008 is if it does shut down, and it seems there are a lot of things that can cause it to shut down, is I must wait at least 5 minutes or more to start it again, if not it will go right back out. This is of course if the shut down was caused by something not physical like a loose speaker connection.
Mine will even shut down if someone turns it off and I come in a turn it back on too soon, What is too soon? Even 15 minutes.

After several years of use, other times it has shut down on me:
When I turned on the TV and the 7008 at the same time.
When I plugged it into a new UPS.
When I turned it on before the computer hooked to it had booted up and that device was selected.
When I turned it on too fast after an update software.
When I plugged in a new subwoofer (nothing was wrong,) I just had to wait a few minutes more for some reason.
I can't even remember all the times it shut down. But each time I have to wait at least 5 10 minutes.
I now go ahead and unplug it each time.
I love the unit despite of this.
Thanks for this. I had to bring my 7008 to a repair shop today because it is tripping into protect mode (red power led slow flash) with only the power cord plugged into a wall outlet after about 5-10 seconds. I let it sit overnight unplugged from everything, did the factory re-set, no change. Hopefully I find out what caused this and it can be repaired at a price that’s worth it. Yes, I too love(d) the sound the receiver provided, but now I am suspicious that no matter what the brand is, you are pretty much getting the same mass produced garbage as everything else from China. Oh well, live and learn.

post #5119 of 5119 Old 11-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this. I had to bring my 7008 to a repair shop today because it is tripping into protect mode (red power led slow flash) with only the power cord plugged into a wall outlet after about 5-10 seconds. I let it sit overnight unplugged from everything, did the factory re-set, no change. Hopefully I find out what caused this and it can be repaired at a price that’s worth it. Yes, I too love(d) the sound the receiver provided, but now I am suspicious that no matter what the brand is, you are pretty much getting the same mass produced garbage as everything else from China. Oh well, live and learn.
Surprised to see mine is still the last post in this forum topic! Sorry but I was a bit contrary in that last post. Anyhoo, my 7008 is still in the shop. Last call I was told a part was on order (maybe a cap?) for one of the boards. The receiver was reset by the tech via service mode, and it is now staying on and not going into protection mode; but I want to know why it was going into protection mode in the first place, so I can avoid doing whatever I was doing wrong before (if anything). Apparently the internal cooling fan wasn't tripping on, so that's why it went into protection mode. But like I said in previous posts, it was going into protection mode almost immediately after powering on (cold start). I told them it lived in a cabinet, but the front glass door is always open when in use, plus I cut out the back press board behind the receiver to let air flow though. Plus, I bought an Infinity USB 3-fan unit that sits atop the 7008.

I suggested that my fan cooling unit was drawing sufficient cool air up through the receiver and perhaps the internal fan never tripped on its own, would that cause trouble? Anyway, I will share if any explanations are given. I was also thinking that I've had the 7008 plugged into a power bar alongside 2 other power bars with about 16 other components all sharing the same circuit. I don't have another circuit close by. My 10 year old plasma TV, internet modem, wi-fi router and all my audio gear is on the same circuit, along with other lights in the kitchen. Could that mess up a receiver like the 7008 that has a high power requirement?

On another topic, does anyone know if I can connect a tube pre-amplifier to the 7008? I am curious of how it might improve/change the sound. I don't just want to use it with my phono or CD player, but the main receiver output. On the back connector panel, amongst the "pre-out" group (for external amp) I see a pair of front pre-outs; can I run that into the tube pre-amp and return in back into one of the audio-in connections (assignable group)? I circled the outs and ins as an example on the pic below. Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2640660  

Last edited by Frank123; 11-13-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio , avr , bluray , Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr6008 , Marantz Sr7008 , passhtough , passthrough , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page