The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2892Likes

post #5161 of 5189 Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Crackling\distortion on a single Channel in my Marantz SR6008

Hello all, thank you in advance for your time and assistance

On my Marantz SR6008 I have one bad channel in my left front speaker amp. It is causing crackling on a speaker during certain mid ranges or songs. If i flip my speaker connections between right\left fronts it stays with the channel and goes to the other speaker. Sadly no warranty I am afraid.

I have seen several posts about potential bad capacitors, so I opened it up and coudl not see any caps bulging or leaking except for this white glue. This normal? Is that glue?

Also should mention that the front volume dial does not function like it should, when turn volume up it reverts back to random lower numbers. Remote works fine...

Any advice is much appreciated. Really don't want to have throw this investment away but don't want to over pay on repairs if it is in fact repairable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5189 Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmille View Post

On my Marantz SR6008 I have one bad channel in my left front speaker amp. It is causing crackling on a speaker during certain mid ranges or songs. If i flip my speaker connections between right\left fronts it stays with the channel and goes to the other speaker. Sadly no warranty I am afraid.

I have seen several posts about potential bad capacitors, so I opened it up and coudl not see any caps bulging or leaking except for this white glue. This normal? Is that glue?

Also should mention that the front volume dial does not function like it should, when turn volume up it reverts back to random lower numbers. Remote works fine...

Any advice is much appreciated. Really don't want to have throw this investment away but don't want to over pay on repairs if it is in fact repairable.

Not sure why images were not posting but here are the links. I have the IMG format right.

https://imgur.com/ZRnkd1h
https://imgur.com/Zo8TCmK
post #5163 of 5189 Old 04-12-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24517 Post(s)
Liked: 13759
Quote:

Refer to p. 208 Owner's manual and do at least 5-6 microprocessor resets in a row. If no joy, one work around is to set AMP ASSIGN = "Bi-amp" or "Front B" and connect the Front L/R to the Surround L/R speaker posts, otherwise, repair or replace the AVR with a more current model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 5189 Old 04-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Refer to p. 208 Owner's manual and do at least 5-6 microprocessor resets in a row. If no joy, one work around is to set AMP ASSIGN = "Bi-amp" or "Front B" and connect the Front L/R to the Surround L/R speaker posts, otherwise, repair or replace the AVR with a more current model.
wow, you are awesome!! Thank you for your help. I will give it a go and I like the workaround since the other speakers channels are fine.

Funny...I opened a ticket and asked support and they took 5 days to respond and just said your unit is out of warranty and to find a service provider. :-(

BTW...so that is just glue on the board right? in the picture...
post #5165 of 5189 Old 04-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Well, now I have gone and killed the video by doing so. After resetting six times, went through the setup wizard and was going to test and the video was showing a bunch of wavy lines after leaving the wizard. So I powered cycled and the video never came back. Tried multiple HDMI sources and reseating cables. Reset factory defaults and cannot get any video. Took another HDMI cable and put into a different monitor and still no connection detected on the tv\monitors. Reset factory again and still nothing. :-( any thoughts?

Also tried zone 2 HDMI out with no joy. ugh
post #5166 of 5189 Old 04-18-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Well, now I have gone and killed the video by doing so. After resetting six times, went through the setup wizard and was going to test and the video was showing a bunch of wavy lines after leaving the wizard. So I powered cycled and the video never came back. Tried multiple HDMI sources and reseating cables. Reset factory defaults and cannot get any video. Took another HDMI cable and put into a different monitor and still no connection detected on the tv\monitors. Reset factory again and still nothing. :-( any thoughts?

Also tried zone 2 HDMI out with no joy. ugh
So with further review, i was able to get it to come back but have to use a short HDMI cable. I have a 25ft ONE-Way HQ HDMI run from the rack in the back of the theater to the front TV...two of them actually as I always run a spare. But neither of them are working from the Marantz. However, if I plug either of those long runs into the source instead of the Marantz
, they work just fine. Is there some kind of HDMI power setting on the Marantz that supplies more power to the HDMI chip of sorts?
post #5167 of 5189 Old 04-18-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So with further review, i was able to get it to come back but have to use a short HDMI cable. I have a 25ft ONE-Way HQ HDMI run from the rack in the back of the theater to the front TV...two of them actually as I always run a spare. But neither of them are working from the Marantz. However, if I plug either of those long runs into the source instead of the Marantz
, they work just fine. Is there some kind of HDMI power setting on the Marantz that supplies more power to the HDMI chip of sorts?
Well, the good news is that the resets have fixed the LF Speaker Channel issue...for now. Just need to figure out why my HDMI out stopped working after how many years now. Or find a way to bypass it....
post #5168 of 5189 Old 04-18-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, the good news is that the resets have fixed the LF Speaker Channel issue...for now. Just need to figure out why my HDMI out stopped working after how many years now. Or find a way to bypass it....
If the video is able to pass with a shorter HDMI cable, then you may want to try using an HDMI signal booster (eg. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B01EC2YEX0) or replace the current 25' HDMI cable with a different brand.
post #5169 of 5189 Old 04-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i have a SR7008 for the last 6 years and it has performed flawlessly. Recently i hear buzz/humming (speaker and SW) when i play Dolby Digital+ tracks from Netflix or Amazon Prime. The hum/buzz is not present for stereo tracks. The source device is Nvidia Shield (TV). When I play DTS-MA or DTS or DTS-HD or Dolby Digital tracks there is no hum or buzz.

As a test I tried Netflix / Prime Video from a HTPC. Same behavior as above. Buzz / Hum only on DD+.

Next I tried FireTV Cube. Now the buzz/hum is constant, whether the audio is playing or not.

Help! Any ideas? Is the receiver going bad?

Thanks in advance.
post #5170 of 5189 Old 04-21-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyedanap View Post
i have a SR7008 for the last 6 years and it has performed flawlessly. Recently i hear buzz/humming (speaker and SW) when i play Dolby Digital+ tracks from Netflix or Amazon Prime. The hum/buzz is not present for stereo tracks. The source device is Nvidia Shield (TV). When I play DTS-MA or DTS or DTS-HD or Dolby Digital tracks there is no hum or buzz.

As a test I tried Netflix / Prime Video from a HTPC. Same behavior as above. Buzz / Hum only on DD+.

Next I tried FireTV Cube. Now the buzz/hum is constant, whether the audio is playing or not.

Help! Any ideas? Is the receiver going bad?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear that, would suggest starting a new thread as it's not the same model number or issue.
post #5171 of 5189 Old 04-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, would suggest starting a new thread as it's not the same model number or issue.
This the thread for Marantz 7008. Is there a different thread?
post #5172 of 5189 Old 04-21-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
This the thread for Marantz 7008. Is there a different thread?
You're in the correct thread.

Your issue is most likely source related; however, try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.
post #5173 of 5189 Old 04-27-2020, 06:29 PM

12V input trigger

Does the Marantz 7008 have a 12V input trigger. I am using the 7008 as
amplifier controlled from a Denon receiver. I want to turn the 7008 on when i turn the Denon receiver on.
post #5174 of 5189 Old 04-27-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Does the Marantz 7008 have a 12V input trigger. I am using the 7008 as
amplifier controlled from a Denon receiver. I want to turn the 7008 on when i turn the Denon receiver on.
No. Receivers generally only have a 12v "output" trigger to power on an external amp.

Consider using a smart power strip instead.
post #5175 of 5189 Old 04-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No. Receivers generally only have a 12v "output" trigger to power on an external amp.

Consider using a smart power strip instead.
Thank You JD. I will use the harmony to turn it on.
post #5176 of 5189 Old 05-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank123 View Post
When listening to 2 channel audio, is there a difference between the 3 stereo modes within movie/music/game or auto within the pure mode section - or is it identical processing? All four choices sound the same to me...
Identical.
Frank123 likes this.
post #5177 of 5189 Old 05-07-2020, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
When listening to 2 channel audio, is there a difference between the 3 stereo modes within movie/music/game or auto within the pure mode section - or is it identical processing? All four choices sound the same to me...
From page 119 of SR7008 manual:

The MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME button memorizes the last sound mode selected for
its button. Pressing MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME recalls the same sound mode as the
one selected at the previous playback.
• If the content played back does not support the previously selected sound mode,
the most appropriate sound mode for the content is automatically selected.
• This can be set by pressing MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME on the main unit

Switching the sound mode
• Press and hold MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME displays a list of the sound
modes that can be selected. Each time you press MOVIE, MUSIC or
GAME, the sound mode changes.
• While the list is displayed, you can also use ui to select a sound
mode

An example of sound modes : Dolby PLIIx Movie, DTS Neo: x Cinema, Multi Channel Stereo , Virtual

DOLBY PLIIx MOVIE
DTS NEO:X CINEMA
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUA
post #5178 of 5189 Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR6008 Not Connecting to Internet

Hey Gents,

So I have a pretty complicated question (or so I believe) so bare with me. I have a Marantz SR6008 and it is currently hardwired via ethernet to my router. For some reason when I run the network test it shows me a diagram of the receiver connected to the router via ethernet marked with a green check, and then the router connected to the internet via ethernet marked with a red x. I get an error message that states "Internet connection test failed. Can not access the internet. Check your router's settings." This is a new issue as it used to work a little while ago. I don't have reason to believe it's an error with the network chip itself, as I'm still getting an IP address and a MAC address. Does anyone know what could be going on?

ROUTER: Netgear Nighthawk RAX80
post #5179 of 5189 Old 05-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Krumm View Post
Hey Gents,

So I have a pretty complicated question (or so I believe) so bare with me. I have a Marantz SR6008 and it is currently hardwired via ethernet to my router. For some reason when I run the network test it shows me a diagram of the receiver connected to the router via ethernet marked with a green check, and then the router connected to the internet via ethernet marked with a red x. I get an error message that states "Internet connection test failed. Can not access the internet. Check your router's settings." This is a new issue as it used to work a little while ago. I don't have reason to believe it's an error with the network chip itself, as I'm still getting an IP address and a MAC address. Does anyone know what could be going on?

ROUTER: Netgear Nighthawk RAX80
Are you able to access the internet with your other devices?

Try doing a "Network Reset" by powering on the SR6008 while pressing/holding the Preset CH+ and Preset CH - buttons on the front panel. Release the buttons after 5 seconds.
post #5180 of 5189 Old 05-12-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Are you able to access the internet with your other devices?

Try doing a "Network Reset" by powering on the SR6008 while pressing/holding the Preset CH+ and Preset CH - buttons on the front panel. Release the buttons after 5 seconds.
Tried the network reset no luck with that :/
post #5181 of 5189 Old 05-20-2020, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trigger Out Settings

I have both triggers 1 & 2 set to “—-“ for zones 2 & 3 (General Setting) yet when I power on Zone 2 (only) the receiver still powers on my sub and external amp in the main zone. Is there something I’ve missed?

Marantz SR-7008, Crown XLS-1502, Pioneer DV-578A, Technics SL-DD2; Polk Monitor70 mains, RTi-A5s s/s, CSi-A4, HTS12; Panamax 4310.
post #5182 of 5189 Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I have both triggers 1 & 2 set to “—-“ for zones 2 & 3 (General Setting) yet when I power on Zone 2 (only) the receiver still powers on my sub and external amp in the main zone. Is there something I’ve missed?
The triggers can be finicky. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord and 12v trigger cord for 10 minutes.
Frank123 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-20-2020 at 06:43 PM.
post #5183 of 5189 Old 05-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean JD. Aren’t there only 2 options, on or off? I currently have the Main Zone set to “on” along with the sources I use, so that the triggers will power on my sub and amp when I select those sources when powering up the main zone. My understanding is by selecting the “—-“ option for “zone 2” & “zone 3” would disable the triggers when powering on zone 2 or 3 (I don’t use zone 3 btw).
Sorry, was thinking of a different issue. The "--" setting should disable the trigger; however, the triggers are very sensitive and can be easily damaged by an electrostatic discharge. Presuming they have not been damaged, try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the AVR power cord and 12v trigger cord for 10 minutes. If no joy, then a microprocessor reset (p. 241 Owner's manual) would be the next option after first doing a "backup" (p. 140 Owner's manual) or using the Web Control feature to SAVE the file to a PC file (p. 139 Owner's manual).
Frank123 likes this.
post #5184 of 5189 Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Marantz SR6008 suddenly not passing through Apple TV audio

I have my Apple TV connected to the CBL/SAT HDMI input on the receiver. The receiver is setup to passthrough the input when the receiver is off so that we can still use the TV speakers when we don't need to use the receiver. This has worked for the past couple of weeks when I got the Apple TV. Today, when I turned on the TV, I only see video but no audio when the receiver is off. When I turn on the receiver, I get audio and video as expected. I've tried a microprocessor reset already but without any luck. Any ideas what could be the issue here? I have not changed anything in my configuration recently
post #5185 of 5189 Old 06-06-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf1990 View Post
I have my Apple TV connected to the CBL/SAT HDMI input on the receiver. The receiver is setup to passthrough the input when the receiver is off so that we can still use the TV speakers when we don't need to use the receiver. This has worked for the past couple of weeks when I got the Apple TV. Today, when I turned on the TV, I only see video but no audio when the receiver is off. When I turn on the receiver, I get audio and video as expected. I've tried a microprocessor reset already but without any luck. Any ideas what could be the issue here? I have not changed anything in my configuration recently
The best way to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is to power on the components in a specific order: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.

So in your use case, TV, pause 5 seconds, AppleTV
post #5186 of 5189 Old 06-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Unhappy Marantz SR5008: Please help with this Noise!!

Dear forum

I hope someone could help me with this noise..... Please listen to the audio I did include in this post. I get this noise with no music playing, even muting the sound I still get this noise....... just with the amp switched on.

Any ideas what can I do fix or find out the reason for this noise?

Thanks in advance,
Javier.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Marantz_sr5008_noise.zip (161.0 KB, 3 views)
post #5187 of 5189 Old 06-11-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javcasalc View Post
Dear forum

I hope someone could help me with this noise..... Please listen to the audio I did include in this post. I get this noise with no music playing, even muting the sound I still get this noise....... just with the amp switched on.

Any ideas what can I do fix or find out the reason for this noise?

Thanks in advance,
Javier.
Is the noise coming from all speakers or just one speaker?

Disconnect all sources to the AVR and see if the noise still presents. If no, connect each source one at a time to find the culprit, most often the cable/sat box.

Also check your speaker wires are not crossing over power cables.

Is the AVR connected to a power strip? If yes, remove the power strip and connect the power directly to the wall outlet as the power strip may be defective.

If none of the above resolves the issue using an extension power cable and connect to a different outlet in another room as there could be an electrical issue in your home wiring.
post #5188 of 5189 Old 06-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Is the noise coming from all speakers or just one speaker?

Disconnect all sources to the AVR and see if the noise still presents. If no, connect each source one at a time to find the culprit, most often the cable/sat box.

Also check your speaker wires are not crossing over power cables.

Is the AVR connected to a power strip? If yes, remove the power strip and connect the power directly to the wall outlet as the power strip may be defective.

If none of the above resolves the issue using an extension power cable and connect to a different outlet in another room as there could be an electrical issue in your home wiring.

I did disconnect all sources to the AVR, and with just 1 speaker (I only have two front speakers) the noise starts..... no matter which speaker I connect (front left or front right).
I also tried to change the power strip, I tried the wall outlet and I did even change the original power cable....

The workaround is usually to switch off the AVR for 1 o 2 min, and then after switching it on again, the noise is gone or mostly gone (some "explosions" only....)

Very strange.... this is sad (

J.
post #5189 of 5189 Old 06-22-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
7008-> Cannot login to SiriusXM InternetRadio with Web Controller

Well, I can't get to Sirius with the 7008. At the unit it says "Sirius signin - Refer to Gui". Then at the Gui I get the message" Cannot login to SiriusXM InternetRadio with Web Controller"

Anyk thoughts?

(I seem to consistently have issues signing into either Pandora or Sirius. I wonder of different brands have these same issues. Pretty frustrating).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio , avr , bass management , bluray , crossover , Marantz , Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr6008 , Marantz Sr7008 , network , passhtough , passthrough , question , SR6008 , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page