Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 680Likes

post #3751 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Wrong place
lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I stream my jriver media wirelessly so no dropouts or note skips.

On the ares speaker setup that is odd. Mine is pretty dead on. Except once when it set my two back surrounds different from each other. I noticed I had my tweeter out of phase on one speaker. That fixed it. Yours sounds like a freak thing. Is your speakers and room farely symmetrical?
I'm not sure I get how streaming JRiver wirelessly is any different than going over toslink. Have you experimented with a playlist of mixed sample rates? That is the only time I have the issue. If all songs are the same sample rate then I also get no dropouts or note skips.

My room is exactly symmetrical for the ARES issue...a perfect rectangle with the sweet spot right in the middle of the surrounds.
post #3753 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
make sure when you start ares that your settings are at zero for the adjustments you can make via remote during listening because I think they dont think they will revert automatically if you adjusted them before starting and I found I got better results by turning my volume up to my normal listening volume before I ran it again..I set my volume to 70 and I think it made a big difference
You may be on to something here Jim. I'll give that a shot, maybe tomorrow, and see how things come out. I'd run ARES out of the box. Then I ran ARES EQ and lost my subs. So I ran ARES again without resetting anything. After that is when I checked the levels with my meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdfay View Post
I'm not sure I get how streaming JRiver wirelessly is any different than going over toslink. Have you experimented with a playlist of mixed sample rates? That is the only time I have the issue. If all songs are the same sample rate then I also get no dropouts or note skips.

My room is exactly symmetrical for the ARES issue...a perfect rectangle with the sweet spot right in the middle of the surrounds.
Thats a j river problem I have it happen with other dacs with jriver but not tidal or foobar...If you Select the option to play a little silence in the output device options of Jriver it doesnt do it anymore...Fyi It doesnt do it if yoiu can use hdmi from your computer too
post #3755 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Thats a j river problem I have it happen with other dacs with jriver but not tidal or foobar...If you Select the option to play a little silence in the output device options of Jriver it doesnt do it anymore...Fyi It doesnt do it if yoiu can use hdmi from your computer too
I actually did try the setting to do the silence but it didn't help (I tried a ton of different setting combinations). The only way I got rid of it was to have it convert everything to the same sample rate on output.

I do have HDMI on my PC, and I used to run it directly to the TV, but I got an ultra wide monitor for the PC and when I try to do a dual monitor situation now, with the TV being one of them, the video card just can's seem to get it right. But that is interesting to hear.
post #3756 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I actually did try the setting to do the silence but it didn't help (I tried a ton of different setting combinations). The only way I got rid of it was to have it convert everything to the same sample rate on output.

I do have HDMI on my PC, and I used to run it directly to the TV, but I got an ultra wide monitor for the PC and when I try to do a dual monitor situation now, with the TV being one of them, the video card just can's seem to get it right. But that is interesting to hear.
yeah I'm using a 65" and a 79" as a monitor and i have no issues..what kind of grafix you using?
post #3757 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

you do realize that toslink is the least able to do hi sample rates..you will get drop out with that more than coax or HDMI..or ebu aes
Try a different cable also because you could have a dirty connector or the glass could be fractured toslink is fibre and that can;t take very much in the way of stress
post #3758 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
you do realize that toslink is the least able to do hi sample rates..you will get drop out with that more than coax or HDMI..or ebu aes
Try a different cable also because you could have a dirty connector or the glass could be fractured toslink is fibre and that can;t take very much in the way of stress
I do not have any dropouts, ever, with my toslink. I was only losing the 1st second of a track, no other parts of it, and only when the sample rate changed from the first track before it. So I'm good with the toslink connection.
post #3759 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
yeah I'm using a 65" and a 79" as a monitor and i have no issues..what kind of grafix you using?
My computer monitor is 2560x1080....21:9. My video card can handle it, it just can't seem to be able to do dual displays correctly where one is 16:9 (TV) and the other 21:9.
post #3760 of 5062 Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
My computer monitor is 2560x1080....21:9. My video card can handle it, it just can't seem to be able to do dual displays correctly where one is 16:9 (TV) and the other 21:9.
mine are both 4096x2160
scottdfay likes this.
post #3761 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
... I just feel like I am hearing everything the source has to offer and I couldn't be happier.
If you are using the Foundation for 2ch music you will not be hearing everything the source has to offer. There is night and day difference between a quality dedicated 2ch pre-amp and the Foundation.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #3762 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
If you are using the Foundation for 2ch music you will not be hearing everything the source has to offer. There is night and day difference between a quality dedicated 2ch pre-amp and the Foundation.
But the cost of a quality preamp is at least on the same order as the cost of the Foundation?

I'm using my KAV-300IL for music because I do find the the Foundation's DAC isn't as pleasing as my external DAC. If I use the Foundation's analog in I find it doesn't add (or subtract) anything unless I use its crossover processing. But that processing (or the subs) throws a slight haze over the music.
post #3763 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So for those that have been following, I've gotten past my Tivo noise issue by using a workaround that I'm happy with. I changed the Tivo to output PCM (stereo) and then I use PLIIx on the Krell to get a decent approximation of the sound I was getting with the Tivo set to Dolby.
I too have that 'zapping' sound with my Tivo while switching channels. All other connected sources have no problem at all. Did you mention that Krell is sending you some custom software update? Have you tried that?

Thanks

Shadow Fox

post #3764 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post
I too have that 'zapping' sound with my Tivo while switching channels. All other connected sources have no problem at all. Did you mention that Krell is sending you some custom software update? Have you tried that?

Thanks
Why not run an optical from the Tivo to the Krell? That works great for me.
markrubin and SHadoWFoX like this.
post #3765 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post

Thanks
I tried the custom update they sent me and it made things worse, so I went back to the original software. My workaround is I've set the Tivo to output PCM and I set the Krell to Dolby PLIIx movie and I get a very similar sound as if I had the Tivo output set to Dolby. I figure I can always switch back for a show here and there where I do want the Dolby output.

I didn't try the optical cable as artur9 has suggested because with my previous Emotiva UMC-200, which also had the "zap", it didn't help. I guess I really should try it with the Foundation given the 5-10 minutes it'd take me to do it.
post #3766 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Ok. I will give that a try. Hope I still have an optical cable somewhere in the house. Thanks

Shadow Fox

post #3767 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
OK, so I finally did just try this. Yes, the "zap" is gone thankfully. However, if you do the 30 second skip ahead on the Tivo to get through commercials, when playback restarts you lose a couple seconds of the sound due to the muting in the Krell. With the Tivo set at PCM and the Krell in PLIIx mode the sound resumes instantly. So everything comes with a tradeoff.
post #3768 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Good evening guys,
i am picking up a krell foundation tomorrow from a local guy. This is the NON 4K model. He said he bought it last December which makes it about 6 months old. i am also getting the chorus 7200 from him.
My plan is to use my monster krell 402e to drive my front speakers and the chorus to do the rest. With that said, i would like to know if anyone can help answer me these questions since i am running out of time here before i pick it up:
1. Can all of the non 4k models be upgraded to 4k? how much is the cost?
2. Is DSD upgrade free? do you have to send the unit in?
3. Is there something i should look out for tomorrow when i pick up the unit? i know some of you have had nightmares with it so i was wondering if there is a particular serial number batch that is bad or not as solid as others, etc..

thanks in advance!!
post #3769 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, so I finally did just try this. Yes, the "zap" is gone thankfully. However, if you do the 30 second skip ahead on the Tivo to get through commercials, when playback restarts you lose a couple seconds of the sound due to the muting in the Krell. With the Tivo set at PCM and the Krell in PLIIx mode the sound resumes instantly. So everything comes with a tradeoff.
I think I must be used to this from my previous processor because I have not noticed it. Reflecting back, I think you are right. Since I've been doing this for the last N years I am too used to it to have considered alternatives!

I really like the Dolby sound mixing on Sleepy Hollow so the PCM alternative isn't for me.
post #3770 of 5062 Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp_guy532 View Post
Good evening guys,
i am picking up a krell foundation tomorrow from a local guy. This is the NON 4K model. He said he bought it last December which makes it about 6 months old. i am also getting the chorus 7200 from him.
My plan is to use my monster krell 402e to drive my front speakers and the chorus to do the rest. With that said, i would like to know if anyone can help answer me these questions since i am running out of time here before i pick it up:
1. Can all of the non 4k models be upgraded to 4k? how much is the cost?
2. Is DSD upgrade free? do you have to send the unit in?
3. Is there something i should look out for tomorrow when i pick up the unit? i know some of you have had nightmares with it so i was wondering if there is a particular serial number batch that is bad or not as solid as others, etc..

thanks in advance!!
1 yes 2 it is free. You have to send it in. But that Foundation might already have 4k. 3 nothing in particular to worry about. Not really any nightmare Foundations for a long time. Some things obviously don't play well with the Foundation but there is workarounds,ie; old tivo units.
I am sure you will love both of them. Especially the Foundation.
Once you get them feel free to ask questions about setup or anything.
vvuuren and JimSatala77 like this.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #3771 of 5062 Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Just switch to use optical for tivo's audio. No more zapping sound. The sound delay is pretty much the same as with hdmi connection for me. Thanks for the tip.

Shadow Fox

post #3772 of 5062 Old 06-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amp_guy532 said:
Original post
Good evening guys, i am picking up a krell foundation tomorrow from a local guy. This is the NON 4K model. He said he bought it last December which makes it about 6 months old. i am also getting the chorus 7200 from him. My plan is to use my monster krell 402e to drive my front speakers and the chorus to do the rest. With that said, i would like to know if anyone can help answer me these questions since i am running out of time here before i pick it up: 1. Can all of the non 4k models be upgraded to 4k? how much is the cost? 2. Is DSD upgrade free? do you have to send the unit in? 3. Is there something i should look out for tomorrow when i pick up the unit? i know some of you have had nightmares with it so i was wondering if there is a particular serial number batch that is bad or not as solid as others, etc.. thanks in advance!!
1 yes 2 it is free. You have to send it in. But that Foundation might already have 4k. 3 nothing in particular to worry about. Not really any nightmare Foundations for a long time. Some things obviously don't play well with the Foundation but there is workarounds,ie; old tivo units. I am sure you will love both of them. Especially the Foundation. Once you get them feel free to ask questions about setup or anything.

My 2 c:
As always make sure everything is in working order. My Foundation suddenly had no audio - still don't know what was wrong. Reason being that i'm still waiting to get it home after the 4K upgrade and repair. I consider myself a very loyal Krell customer, due to my almost one year of waiting.
So buy it: it sounds fantastic, don't send it in for the 4K upgrade, and test it before buying.
I will be inviting everybody to the "coming home" party once the foundation is safely home. Yes: i keep my hopes up that it will return home some day. :relaxed::relaxed:
post #3773 of 5062 Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbech01 View Post
don't send it in for the 4K upgrade, and test it before buying.
I will be inviting everybody to the "coming home" party once the foundation is safely home.
I sent them an email suggesting that they copy Schiit Audio's upgrade method. With Schiit Audio you put your unit on a queue and they send you emails when to send it in, when it's being worked on and when they send it back. Does a great job minimizing the unit's time away from home.
post #3774 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 01:47 PM

good afternoon guys,
i love this foundation. it is mind blowing to say the least. However, WHY can't i hear both surround back channels play? i only hear one and i have been playing with the settings and nothing..i can't get all 7 speakers to fire up? i have done all test tones and only one back surround speaker outputs the test tone... all my connections are fine..
post #3775 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you have the spkrs hooked to the surround back right and left? Not the back sub or whatever the heck that is. Also check menu settings in the audio section. Check and make sure you have it set for surrounds + backs. If this is all correct you might try a restore to factory reset. Then atart again.

7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
post #3776 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
good afternoon guys,
i love this foundation. it is mind blowing to say the least. However, WHY can't i hear both surround back channels play? i only hear one and i have been playing with the settings and nothing..i can't get all 7 speakers to fire up? i have done all test tones and only one back surround speaker outputs the test tone... all my connections are fine..
never mind guys, i got it!!!

FYI, i will be doing a review of my Marantz 8802A vs the foundation. Stay tuned!
markrubin likes this.
post #3777 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Looks like I am going to have to sell the Foundation and Chorus 5200. Looking for someone local in the SF Bay Area. Maybe one day things will finally improve.
post #3778 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 02:19 PM

can anyone tell me why i don't see the "preamp" sound mode? i cycle through all the sound fields and that one doesn't show up. i am listening to a cd through my bluray player connecting via hdmi to the foundation...
post #3779 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 3580
Quote:
can anyone tell me why i don't see the "preamp" sound mode? i cycle through all the sound fields and that one doesn't show up. i am listening to a cd through my bluray player connecting via hdmi to the foundation...
switch to an analog 2ch audio source input (not HDMI) then hit audio mode and you will see Analog/Preamp as first choice
rhale64L7 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 06-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #3780 of 5062 Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It has to be an analog source.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page