Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 680Likes

post #3991 of 5062 Old 07-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
since you've own some some fine amps, I'd be interested in your impression of the Classe (which one) and the Pass Labs (which one) vs the Krell 402e and chorus. Also what speakers are/were you using with these amps. Thanks.
Pass labs xa30.8: very musical/smooth. Has good bass output,but it is not the amp that you crank up really loud. It is perfect for those of you who do a lot of moderate to low volume listening sessions. RUNS HOT AS HELL. My lower legs were sweating after a 2 hr listening session.

Classe 5200/2200: Very musical. OUTSTANDING midrange and no ear fatigue of any kind. Has good bass, but it is not its strength. Its strength lies in the smooth highs and great midrange.

Classe 5300/2300: more transparent than the 5200, but i think it is a cold/boring amp. Nothing really stands out. It lacks the 5200's musicality/sweetness.

Classe CTM600's monoblocks: Massive power. they got louder than the 402e, but lacked the 402e's bass control. Also a very cold/neutral amp.

Krell 402e: The best stereo amp i have owned period. Massive bass control at any volume level. Amazing smooth, liquid highs that sparkle without any fatigue. Runs HOT AS HELL and my electric bill went up about $70 dollars a month.

Krell Chorus: Good bass control. VERY DETAILED, but can sound somewhat "piercing" to the ears at high volume if you have the wrong speakers. i actually brought over my buddy's dynadio c1 speakers and i DID NOT like them with the chorus. Nice detail, but once you put the pedal to the metal, it might sound too forward for some of you UNLESS you have ribbon tweeters. My goldenear triton 1s don't seem to mind the chorus at all. However, those of you with Revels ( i also own the salon 2's) or any type of dome tweeter will need to look elsewhere because the highs are just too much.

Theta Digital Dreadnaught D: i have owned it for about 3 days so it is still being broken in. So far, i can say it has MORE DETAIL than the Chorus. It has made me hear the slightest details that NO OTHER AMP has allowed me to hear (this includes the 402e).
This amp sounds OUTSTANDING at any volume level. It does not scream when cranked up, but rather just gives you more volume. This amp lies somewhere between the krell and Mcintosh as far as high frequencies meaning it is not forward nor as laid back as mcintosh.
I like the krell chorus when first turned on. Nice detail and bass control, but after about 90 minutes of listening to the chorus at about 90 db, my ears have ear fatigue which makes me want to stand up and go run errands.
Throughout the past 2 years i have realized that amplifiers (high end amps) are no different than tv's as far as grabbing your attention. Think of it like this, when you go to your local best buy shopping for a tv, we typically go "wow" look at how awesome this tv looks and it is probably the tv with the brightest, craziest settings. This is done to grab your attention temporarily, but if you had that tv in your living room and watched it for one hour, your eyes would hurt. This is why you typically see the THX SETTINGS on most displays being very dull/dark/dim looking, but these are the perfect calculated settings.
Amps are the SAME THING. Some sound amazing in the first hour and then after a few hours, you want to turn the volume down. The theta does not do that. It sounds somewhat laid back when first cranked up and then as you sit there for a while, you realize that all the detail IS THERE!.
I will elaborate more later this week on this amplifier.
gbaby, leeshanok, vvuuren and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Amp_guy532; 07-12-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 5062 Old 07-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Amp_guy you are like the fifth or sixth person that has said that this amp is amazing. I guess Im going to call Craig sooner then I had planned! Thanks for the great review.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3993 of 5062 Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
I wonder if someone can help me. I've never been able to get my sub to play in stereo, Neo:6 Music or PLIIx:Music. Thought it was because my fronts are set at Full but have now tried on limited and still no sub. Only time it plays is with Enhanced stereo and FullRange and sub! Appreciate any advice you guys can offer.
Not sure but if you run auto EQ with speakers set to full range and then apply crossover you may get different level of bass out put than if you set speakers to limited with crossover then run auto EQ. Don't know but maybe worth a try. I mentioned earlier my experience after update where no sub output with PCM/stereo and crossover at 40Hz. Then played 5.1 disc and had sub output. Then changed crossover to 110Hz to make sure crossover working properly,which it was. then changed crossover to 60HZ. Played CD in PCM/stereo and sub was working great. Makes no sense to me. Might be worth trying to duplicate that maneuver.
vvuuren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 5062 Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I think that when the IBias Amps Get too Hot They Start to degrade the sound quality..I have noticed after 10hrs of hard listening they would get up around 85-90 and I would think that something was wrong or broke but once they cool a bit they jump back to life..,,I Noticed it with the chorus and my first trio and duo alot but my solos havent ever gotten that hot yet and the new trio got up to 85 on one channel today after being on for almost 16hr nonstop but I shut the system off for 15 minutes and its fine now..IDK if this is supposed to happen or if they arent designed for continuous use but that should be something that they should say if it is the case because I use my system pretty much constantly either for music,tv or movies
post #3995 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Yes it is a real difference. I thought I might be imagining it also. But no way. This is the second time this has happened also. So I don't think it is a fluke. The first time was a long time ago. My first Foundation didn't sound quite as good after a firmware update. I noticed that the sub was playing in all modes. It took about two weeks for me to realize this. It was faintly playing. I emailed Krell and within a few days they had a firmware update. I installed it and it was amazing the difference. It sounded like it did in the beginning again. So it could be something in the routing of signals or something. But what ever it is it is awesome.
After installing Non-4K software update V1.26 Jul 10 2015 I have had to reduce subwoofer volume by about 10db.

Also can no longer access the web control page. Anyone else having trouble accessing the web page? I am using this address: http://192.168.1.110/krell/index.html but now I only get "Requested URL not found". I have tried powering Foundation off and back on, even using power switch on back of unit. Still no luck connecting.

Update: 7/13/2015 12:46 pm - Had to take the /krell/index.html/ out of my bookmarks. Using just the IP address only, I can access the web control again.

Krell Foundation 4K, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Martin Logan Ethos x 4 (L,R,LS, RS), Martin Logan Stage X (Center), Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.

Last edited by jsetliff; 07-13-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Update
post #3996 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
Foundation Processor

We have released new software for the Foundation processor and the Foundation 4K processor. The Foundation processor software update
V1.26 fixes a problem with the level of the Rs channel when using the manual noise generator for calibration.

Foundation 4K UHD Processor

We also have a small software update to announce for the Foundation 4K UHD. This update does not add any features but is an internal change to the DSP that will make updates going forward more efficient. Although, nothing is being added today, this is a required update for future feature enhancements. The version of software will update to 1.33 with a June 4, 2015 date code. It is important to update the software even if the unit is already at 1.33. A Foundation 4K already at software version 1.33, will have its date code updated.

Updating the Foundation Firmware
The easiest way to update a Foundation processor is to connect it to a network with internet access. From there, navigate through the main menu to Software Update and then press the Enter button to proceed to the Network submenu.

Press the Enter button and the Foundation will begin checking for the latest firmware. If a more recent firmware is available, press the Enter button and the Foundation will begin the download process. When complete, the Foundation will return to standby. If the Foundation firmware is current, the Foundation will display the Software Up To Date message.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 07-13-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #3997 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefinnell View Post
My 4k unit still says version 1.33 dated in February, and does the 5+ minute download and freezes at download = 100%. I performed a factory reset which still gave me the Feb 1.33 version, and repeated the software update. When it reached download = 100%, I got a brief software error message and then the unit froze on osdfront.inf. The unit stayed frozen on that message overnight until I backed out and did the reset factory settings, which brought back the Feb 1.33 version again. However, running the speaker setup again, and all the speakers said 0.0 db level during eq and 0 sec lipsync offset for every speaker (including subs), and I know that had to be wrong. Previously lipsync varied between 5 to 10 msec, and some speakers varied +2,-3 db when calibration (Below 125 hz). I put an email in to Patrick which I hope to be answered tomorrow.
same problem - gets stuck on osdfront........
any answers yet?
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3998 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
After installing Non-4K software update V1.26 Jul 10 2015 I have had to reduce subwoofer volume by about 10db.

Also can no longer access the web control page. Anyone else having trouble accessing the web page? I am using this address: http://192.168.1.110/krell/index.html but now I only get "Requested URL not found". I have tried powering Foundation off and back on, even using power switch on back of unit. Still no luck connecting.

Update: 7/13/2015 12:46 pm - Had to take the /krell/index.html/ out of my bookmarks. Using just the IP address only, I can access the web control again.
You can find the new IP address from Krell's menu. It does not stick to the same IP address every time.

Shadow Fox

post #3999 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think I have some proof that the V1.26 Jul 10 2015 does change the bass output level. I always run ARES to set the trim levels of each speaker. When its finished I use Edit Levels to manually check what it did to each channel. If it raised or lowered the subwoofer level, I then manually adjust the volume on my actual subwoofer and run ARES again until ARES sets the subwoofer volume to +0db. Before installing this version of the software, my subwoofer volume had to be set at 36 to get ARES to set subwoofer volume to +0db. Now with this new version of the software I have to set my volume on the subwoofer to 27 to get ARES to set subwoofer volume to +0db.

I believe that is proof enough that subwoofer volume (at least in the case of balanced output which is how my subwoofer is connected) has changed. I knew right away when I played music for the first time after the update that there was too much bass. It was obvious after about 10 seconds on the first song.

I should mention that all of my speakers are crossed at 80hz, so it is possible that the increase in bass is from the right or left channel and is just being routed to the subwoofer in my case. Some of you have reported the bass increase when running full range. My cross over setting probably explain why I notice it too, but to me appears to be the subwoofer level.

Krell Foundation 4K, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Martin Logan Ethos x 4 (L,R,LS, RS), Martin Logan Stage X (Center), Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.

Last edited by jsetliff; 07-13-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add info
post #4000 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 05:16 PM

Liked: 12
audio drop?

After I switched the audio connection between my Tivo and Foundation from HDMI (loud zapping sound whenever switching channel on Tivo) to optical I have a new problem. I am losing audio sometimes (either during changing channel or just while watch a show). The video is fine, just the audio is gone. Sometimes I can get the audio back by pausing or rewinding the program and then resume. When this does not work I will need to going into the menu to assign the input's audio to a different input (e.g. opt2) and then switch back to opt1. This always restores the audio for me.

Is this just a bad hand-shake between the two? But this is not through HDMI now. Has anyone encounter this type of audio drop?

Shadow Fox

post #4001 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post
After I switched the audio connection between my Tivo and Foundation from HDMI (loud zapping sound whenever switching channel on Tivo) to optical I have a new problem. ...

Is this just a bad hand-shake between the two? But this is not through HDMI now. Has anyone encounter this type of audio drop?
I have that setup for audio between my Tivo Premiere and the Krell. For video I'm using component video. I've never had any audio drop outs as you described.

My PS3 has been finicky for a while but that's all HDMI.
post #4002 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone with a 4k unit been able to get the Update to work?
post #4003 of 5062 Old 07-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

There is a problem because I had the same issue with running Ares when I changed amps..first time it was several db changing and now no changes..My update freezes too where before it would tell me it was up to date
post #4004 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post
After I switched the audio connection between my Tivo and Foundation from HDMI (loud zapping sound whenever switching channel on Tivo) to optical I have a new problem. I am losing audio sometimes (either during changing channel or just while watch a show). The video is fine, just the audio is gone. Sometimes I can get the audio back by pausing or rewinding the program and then resume. When this does not work I will need to going into the menu to assign the input's audio to a different input (e.g. opt2) and then switch back to opt1. This always restores the audio for me.

I have the same issue and called Patrick they are going to take a look mine when it goes in for the upgrade. The way I temporarily fixed this was to take the optical and convert it to SPIDf and no more audio drops. I picked up a converter they are like 30 bucks.

I was losing audio and video on HDMI, and then bypassed video to tv, then tried optical now everything works, bypassed and running spidif

Hope this helps.
post #4005 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Man I really need to get to the theater and try out all my sources after the update. I have my network audio player going optical to the Foundation I have Directv hr44 going hdmi to Foundation. I will try them out and post back. My Marantz bluray player works great going hdmi to Foundation

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #4006 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
I have the same issue and called Patrick they are going to take a look mine when it goes in for the upgrade. The way I temporarily fixed this was to take the optical and convert it to SPIDf and no more audio drops. I picked up a converter they are like 30 bucks.

I was losing audio and video on HDMI, and then bypassed video to tv, then tried optical now everything works, bypassed and running spidif

Hope this helps.
Did you get a call to send yours in for upgrade?
post #4007 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anybody else got a call? I haven't.

7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
post #4008 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Has anyone with a 4k unit been able to get the Update to work?
I updated mine Sunday and it worked just fine. Shows v1.33 with the June 4 date now.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #4009 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to do mine via usb
post #4010 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was able to do mine via usb
how do you get the file?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #4011 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
how do you get the file?
Bill Sent it to me..Its too large to attach here but if you im me an email address i can send it to you
post #4012 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bill Sent it to me..Its too large to attach here but if you im me an email address i can send it to you
will do: could we ask Bill to give us a link on his site so we can get updates by USB?

I hate it when internet updates crash and potentially brick expensive gear...
vvuuren and JimSatala77 like this.

LG C9 OLED owner

post #4013 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone needs to update by usb first you need a Mini usb adapter...I used one I had for my camcorder..lol.You just copy all of the files directly to the root of a fat32 formatted usb thumb drive and when you connect the adapter with the thumbdrive you cycle down from the word network in the menu of the update submenu and select usb ..its pretty straight forward if you have the usb adapter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_153454.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	830178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_153503.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	830186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_153513.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	830194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_153542.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	830202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_153549.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	830210  

markrubin likes this.
post #4014 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

It takes quite a bit to finish the update and it shuts down twice before it is done ..wait for it to remain off for 5 minutes before you turn it back on after its completed to be sure the program is done running
post #4015 of 5062 Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
Did you get a call to send yours in for upgrade?
No, when I talked to Patrick it sounded like it was going to be awhile too, and wanted to know if I wanted to send mine in and get the HDMi fixed, but then I would have to resend it back later.. Hate to do that now that I have a work around.
post #4016 of 5062 Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

as others reported, when I tried to update last week via Ethernet, I got an error: I reran the update again and it worked (it was still the Feb 1.33 version)

this morning I updated my 4K to v1.33 Jun 4, 2015 via USB thanks to files Jim emailed me: no issues noted

again I suggest if you are nervous about an Ethernet update you use USB: I think it is safer: the hardest part was finding the correct adapter (the USB mini end was easy: finding one to USB female to accept the USB stick was the challenge)
JimSatala77 likes this.

LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 07-15-2015 at 05:09 AM.
post #4017 of 5062 Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed a scratchy noise from sides since update? Just at times, not always...
post #4018 of 5062 Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had it in my left side surround spkr with the last update and it is still there. Only when you turn it on for a second. Is that what you are hearing?

post #4019 of 5062 Old 07-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mine continues with music. Almost like distortion but it's there at very low levels also. Now I hear it on my centre channel too. Emailed Krell.
post #4020 of 5062 Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Not when hooked up to front amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier