Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 680Likes

post #5041 of 5062 Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post
Ah. Is there a place to get the files or do I have to wait for Support during biz hours?

I emailed support and they sent the files out by email. I don't believe Krell have a download area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5062 Old 03-31-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi everyone.

Ok all updated to 1.47, got my movies, sacd's, and directv looking and sounding great. So I'm a happy camper.

I can't figure out how to select a source from the front panel buttons. (is this possible?)

The remote of course gives you *sixteen* buttons to directly select a source, but sometimes you just want to walk up to the device and change sources. What am I missing?

TIA
post #5043 of 5062 Old 03-31-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post
I can't figure out how to select a source from the front panel buttons. (is this possible?)

The remote of course gives you *sixteen* buttons to directly select a source, but sometimes you just want to walk up to the device and change sources. What am I missing?
Love mine and can't imagine anything better. I know "better" is out there but I can't imagine what they're are bringing to the party.

On the front panel, there's a source button on the left side. When you hit it, the display changes to show you the selected sources for the main output and the zone output. Hit the center button on that left side to select "main" (if that's what you're changing) then the up/down buttons scrolls through all the sources.

It changes the source immediately.

I always walk away at that point and my Harmony doesn't know so it stops controlling the Foundation! I actually have to get up AGAIN and hit the source button to put the Krell back into normal operational mode. The inconvenience of it all, actually having to get up again because I forgot to hit a button, oh the horrors ;-)
markrubin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 5062 Old 04-01-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, thanks Artur9. My wife and I are very pleased with the sound of the Krell! Quite a noticeable upgrade from our Marantz 7005.
From what I gather a Datasat ls10 or Mcintosh mx160 might be even "better", but I'm not spending over $10k for a processor. I only have 3.1 or maybe 3.2....

Can now change inputs via the front panel thanks to your guidance. Do wish I could mark inputs as inactive so the list wouldn't be so long.

My sources are Sony X800 BD/SACD/DVD-A player that also does Vudu duty and streaming music services, and DirecTV HDR. The Sony really pairs well, but took more fiddling than expected to get it to bitstream everything and let the Krell do all the decoding. Movies and SACD's NEVER sounded better!

I also like the minimalist look and feel.
markrubin and artur9 like this.
post #5045 of 5062 Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey all,

Trying to get my DirecTV genie remote to control the volume of my F4k. The foundation is not in the Krell device list, and I've tried all 6 "I don't know my model" list. The power button will control the F4k, but haven't got the volume to work.

Anyone have this working?

Even if you don't know which device, it would be nice to know it can work.

TIA
post #5046 of 5062 Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Unhappy Help w/ 'waiting for audio' message

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
I hope I can post here as I don't see any forums around Krell Evo 707s pre/pros...

@matjet - I hear you! I too have the Krell Evo 7073D, and simply love it... I've had opportunities to trade out of it for a F4k or Lyngdorf MP50...simply couldn't let it go or justify the swap.

I noticed your post because, unfortunately, I have the HDMI audio/video synch issue you mentioned that the early 707's are known for. Currently, connecting an HDMI audio input, I now get 'waiting for audio' on the screen, so no sound. Can I assume it does detect the HDMI connection because the screen notes the resolution and refresh rate the signal is that...1080i @ 60Hz.
It just can't decode & play back any sound.

Is that something that needs to be sent back to Krell? Factory resetting the unit doesn't fix the issue.

Any feedback/help on my 'waiting for audio' HDMI issue would be very much appreciated; until it gets fixed...I remain a very sad duck

Bumping this post as I'm STILL having 'waiting for audio' issue even after Krell replaced the HDMI board on my EV707.

For fellow Krell owners more knowledgeable than I am: when the EV707 screen displays

1080i 60Hz
'waiting for audio'

does this mean that EDID of the 707 isn't being synched with the source (an HDMI audio only output from a Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4k player)? I'm assuming so because there isn't any audio being processed.

All is good if I power up the HT system fresh and play a disc through its ending, but if I pause movie, switch inputs on the 707 (to a tosslink where my Sony TV is connected to) then back to HDMI to continue movie, I get the display message above.

Did anyone else encountered this on their Krell SSPs? And if so, what did you do to fix it?

I appreciate anyone chiming in on this, I've been having issues ever since I snagged the 4k player at the beginning of the year - TIA!!
post #5047 of 5062 Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
!
I don't have a 4K player but I hit this occasional. Usually just switch to another input and back again corrects it.
post #5048 of 5062 Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Quote:
!
I don't have a 4K player but I hit this occasional. Usually just switch to another input and back again corrects it.
Thanks Artur9 - I appreciate your input!

Once I lose audio, it doesn’t come back no matter what I do. Switching inputs, rebooting either or both player and EV707 SSP, even factory resetting both...nothing brings up the HDMI audio. Only comes back if I shut down system, wait 1-2 days, and start it all up.

I think this is common to all recent Krell SSPs, but if the message ‘waiting for audio’ is by itself (nothing else shows up on the screen), then then truly there isn’t an audio source connected.

In my case, I also get 1080i 50/60Hz on the screen along w/ ‘waiting for audio’. To me, that’s saying that there is some HDMI video source fed to the EV707 but somehow audio isn’t being processed along same feed.

I’m not too knowledgeable about how HDMI works, but that sounds like EDID of the EV707 is out of synch from the BR player. Even if I force the video to be 1080P @60hz...still no audio, so it’s probable that it isn’t 4k resolution related.

I’ve reached out to tech support at both Krell and Cambridge Audio, and neither have come up with a resolution.

I’m at the end of my rope here...everyone loves the F4k SSP, and I’ve had both of them in my system side by side, for movies they’re equally impressive, but for music it’s where the 707 really shines. I would hate to sell it because of a silly HDMI/EDID handshake issue
post #5049 of 5062 Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Once I lose audio, it doesn’t come back no matter what I do
Maybe your cables have gone south? Can you just get some inexpensive Premium Certified cables and try that? They come with an orange sticker:
post #5050 of 5062 Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe your cables have gone south? Can you just get some inexpensive Premium Certified cables and try that? They come with an orange sticker:

Thanks Autur9 - I also replaced all of my HDMI cables. While they're aren't certified, they have great reviews (http://www.zeskit.com/cinema-plus) - and I never had an issue with 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision video, only audio being fed to EV707.

I'm now looking now for an EDID software program that I can download to my PC and see what the EV707's EDID is.
post #5051 of 5062 Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone...hope everyone is enjoying this blessed day!

...and no small thanks to the wives/spouses that allow us to have this HiFi hobby!!!
markrubin likes this.
post #5052 of 5062 Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While they're aren't certified, they have great reviews
If they are not certified there is no guarantee that they might the HDMI specs, regardless of what the manufacturer says.

I would get some of the $5 certified Amazon basic cables just to eliminate the possibility of under-speced cables.
post #5053 of 5062 Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
While they're aren't certified, they have great reviews
If they are not certified there is no guarantee that they might the HDMI specs, regardless of what the manufacturer says.

I would get some of the $5 certified Amazon basic cables just to eliminate the possibility of under-speced cables.
Thanks Artur9!

Since this issue has been happening for months...I tried that too. I bought Monoprice ones with same results.

However, upon further testing yesterday I discovered that if I force the CXUHD’s video resolution to 1080p, the Krell audio typically comes back (need more consistent testing to ensure, but it happened a few times).

I know that the EV707 was made pre 4K days, but its EDID shall tell the 4K/any player what audio codec it is capable of playing. Regardless, that setting is video only (hdmi 1) and on my audio (port 2) I have it on bitstream...so unsure why changing video Rez affects audio
post #5054 of 5062 Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...so unsure why changing video Rez affects audio
Audio on HDMI is sent between the video frames (kind of, who knows what the actual technical details are).

I wonder if your unit is slowly failing. Seems like above a certain bitrate it cannot keep up with the input.
post #5055 of 5062 Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Audio on HDMI is sent between the video frames (kind of, who knows what the actual technical details are).

I wonder if your unit is slowly failing. Seems like above a certain bitrate it cannot keep up with the input.
Can't say for sure what the problem is...but all signs are pointing to the Krell EV707. Both Krell and CA are still investigating, but it would be a bummer to drop the EV707...it is a sweet SSP, but annoying nevertheless when it's not reliable playing audio off BluRay discs.

Did anyone else do a side-by-side comparo between the F4k and EV707?
post #5056 of 5062 Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did anyone else do a side-by-side comparo between the F4k and EV707?
IIRC, someone in this thread did a comparison as he was toying with "upgrading" to the Foundation from a higher end Krell SSP.

Also, IIRC, he decided the Foundation was not as good.
post #5057 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 AM

Thanks Artur, I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping that more Krell owners would have provided input...really, no one else is having EDID issues with their Krell SSPs?

I can't afford/won't want to have 2 different Krell SSPs - one for HT and one for music, it completely defeats the purpose, but the EV707 remains king for BOTH audio and video (if I can get over the EDID issue that I'm having). Forcing 1080p video from the 4k player (almost) guarantees me DTS/Dolby True HD sound being processed by the EV707

Sort of related to my issue, but has anyone heard of any news on the Krell made HDMI switch/matrix/audio extractor? I checked w/ my Krell dealer, as far as he knows, that's still vapor-ware. Like some of you, I received an email from Walter @ Krell early Jan about a switch being made for the F4k and he confirmed that soon they're also making one for the EV707. I think that will help my EDID/HDMI issue...but I'm seriously considering the HDFUry Vertex2 coming out next month. They are VERY active on AVS forums, release new products at least yearly, firmware updates galore from that company. Things move as fast as molasses @ Krell, so I'm losing faith with this company...even considering moving to Lyngdorf MP-50 (I know blasphemy!!!)

Are there any users of HDFury products and Krell products (Foundation or EV707)?
post #5058 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Are there any users of HDFury products and Krell products (Foundation or EV707)?

an HDFury product should resolve the problem you are experiencing: I have a Foundation 4k and have used the Vertex with it (for different issue) and it works as advertised: there is a learning curve associated with it but if you like the sound of the Krell (as I do) it might be worth a try

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #5059 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
an HDFury product should resolve the problem you are experiencing: I have a Foundation 4k and have used the Vertex with it (for different issue) and it works as advertised: there is a learning curve associated with it but if you like the sound of the Krell (as I do) it might be worth a try
Thanks for that @markrubin , glad to hear from another Krell owner! As I am NOT interested in Dolby Atmos, DTS-X (my setup is 5.2 anyways, and EXTREMELY satisfied with that) I would really like to hold on to my EV707 for as long as possible...so I will definitely give the new Vertex-2 a try (2nd gen seems to have more features than 1st gen).

To my knowledge, in any HDMI driven system, the max resolution is always driven by the sink/destination device. I believe that the EV707 HDMI board is minimum ver 1.3 since I know it can process lossless audio like Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio HD from an external BR player (I think HDMI ver 1.2 could NOT support native Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio audio for external decoding).

So my question is: can the audio only port on the Vertex device be configured to work with this really legacy HDMI 1.3 version? In that chain, me thinks that the EV707's EDID will tell the Vertex its maximum audio capabilities and the Vertex will oblige and solely send DTS/Dolby True HD (for uncompressed 6 ch @ 192 kHz/24-bit audio)?
post #5060 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
So my question is: can the audio only port on the Vertex device be configured to work with this really legacy HDMI 1.3 version? In that chain, me thinks that the EV707's EDID will tell the Vertex its maximum audio capabilities and the Vertex will oblige and solely send DTS/Dolby True HD (for uncompressed 6 ch @ 192 kHz/24-bit audio)?
a qualified yes: the Vertex device was developed to address HDMI EDID issues such as yours: it is highly flexible and their support is top notch
that said HDMI EDID problems are the bane of the A/V industry (see my sig), so I cannot say it will work with any certainty: but worth a try

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #5061 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
a qualified yes: the Vertex device was developed to address HDMI EDID issues such as yours: it is highly flexible and their support is top notch
that said HDMI EDID problems are the bane of the A/V industry (see my sig), so I cannot say it will work with any certainty: but worth a try
Proper answer mate - cheerio for your feedback! I will definitely buy a Vertex 2 within 30 days...

FYI, I just got confirmation from tech support @ Cambridge Audio that HDMI ports 1 & 2 aren't completely independent:

"if there is a 4K TV on HDMI output 1, then that would take priority over HDMI output 2 - so if it can output 4K on output 1 it will do so, rather than stay at 1080p that would be compatible with both outputs."

Explains why forcing the CXUHD to output 1080p video, everything works just fine (1080p video to Sony 940E and 1080p audio to EV707)...and resetting to video to UHD auto sometimes 'breaks' the audio.

Given your response, can I infer that the Vertex can truly extract 1080p audio and remove any 4k bits/flags that are existent in the original HDMI signal, while still sending unmolested video resolution to my 4k/LLDV/HDR10 capable TV?
post #5062 of 5062 Old 05-16-2019, 01:46 PM

FYI - I just ordered Vertex 2 as it doesn't seem that Krell is coming up with an HDMI switch/audio extractor any time soon...I really wanted to give Krell my £

Thanks @markrubin for sanctioning and validating that Vertex should fix my audio issues cheerio!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page