AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Good receiver to replace an old TX-SR805 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1487830-good-receiver-replace-old-tx-sr805.html)

youra6 08-26-2013 09:55 AM

The HDMI circuit board appears to be dying, and now I need a new receiver.

I haven't been too current on receivers lately, but I have heard that Onkyo has dropped the ball lately with cutting corners on their amps, bad QA, etc...

I do love the amp section on this receiver, and would like to know what comparable receiver exists today.

I like to keep my budget under 1K if possible.

Phil17108 08-27-2013 06:13 AM

You did not state what you have now but I assume it's Onkyo. There is a way to work around that. Get a HDMI switch from Monoprice and use digital optical for the audio. Something like this. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
or replace the AVR with a new one. This would make it less painful http://www.accessories4less.com

afrogt 08-27-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:
You did not state what you have now but I assume it's Onkyo.

Doesn't the title give it away? wink.gif

Phil17108 08-27-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Doesn't the title give it away? wink.gif
I was going to respond with a smart ass answer but that would put me in your league cool.gif
Go Dodgers biggrin.gif

afrogt 08-27-2013 08:36 AM

If you win the world series this year then you can talk smack. Dodgers look good right now but anything can happen in the playoffs.

StephenAlfred 08-27-2013 02:06 PM

You won't find a new AV Receiver under $1,000 with the same wattage as the TX-SR805 (made in Japan, not Malaysia).
In 2013 you'll need to spend like $1,500-$1,900 to replace your old Onkyo. To view 3D, connect your Blu-ray to the TV, and from the TV via Digital Coaxial or Optical back to AVR.

I do have the same model as you, one of the HDMI connectors died, and after failing to find a trusted Electronic Service, I found this person on eBay. he instructed me how to remove the HDMI board, pay him $60.00 for his service, and in a week the HDMI board was back, the installation was done by myself, you don't have to be a genious, and that's it.

Go to Ebay, search for davelectronics56 and get in contact with him. I "think" he (or them) are Disabled War Veterans.

REPAIR SERVICE FOR ONKYO TX-SR606 HDMI BOARD
davelectronics56

de novo 08-27-2013 02:19 PM

Well, my Onkyo 805 works, but the front lighting is black (dead) when turned on. The reviews of the Denon AVRX 4000 look good, and I hoped it would go on sale for a new model soon (but the forum thread on it dated back to March, so maybe it's much too soon). I'm looking at that as a possibility.

Phil17108 08-27-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you win the world series this year then you can talk smack. Dodgers look good right now but anything can happen in the playoffs.

The last time I went to a Dodgers game they were played in the Coliseum, Got your goat. I do think the 49'ers have a good shot this year, if they can get by Saint Louse. cool.gif

Phil17108 08-27-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenAlfred View Post

You won't find a new AV Receiver under $1,000 with the same wattage as the TX-SR805 (made in Japan, not Malaysia).
In 2013 you'll need to spend like $1,500-$1,900 to replace your old Onkyo. To view 3D, connect your Blu-ray to the TV, and from the TV via Digital Coaxial or Optical back to AVR.

I do have the same model as you, one of the HDMI connectors died, and after failing to find a trusted Electronic Service, I found this person on eBay. he instructed me how to remove the HDMI board, pay him $60.00 for his service, and in a week the HDMI board was back, the installation was done by myself, you don't have to be a genious, and that's it.

Go to Ebay, search for davelectronics56 and get in contact with him. I "think" he (or them) are Disabled War Veterans.

REPAIR SERVICE FOR ONKYO TX-SR606 HDMI BOARD
davelectronics56

I am going to make a note of this 60 bucks beats 1500 any day . If they or he can fix a 606 board maybe he can fix others
thanks for the tip Stephen

StephenAlfred 08-28-2013 10:56 AM

You are welcome.

lyndon_h 10-14-2013 08:23 AM

Just a followup for those searching for a solution. I contacted the gentlemen on Ebay and asked if he sold HDMI boards for the 805. His response was

"No. I don't repair this model.
Thanks,

-davelectronics56"